Give me your honest opinion on this movie

Give me your honest opinion on this movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's mostly very enjoyable.

The very first thing that comes to mind every time is midi-chlorians. Usually inevitably followed by C3P0, Jar-Jar, and all the other negative parts.

There was a lot to like. Liam Neeson was perfectly cast as a Grey Jedi breaking the rules of the Council, Darth Maul had worlds of potential, the OST was outstanding and the world went fucking nuts for pod racing when it came out.

But still. Midi-chlorians.

Didn't enjoy it.

Unbearably bad

Shitty story
Shitty writing
Shitty acting
Shitty cgi
Pop references for no reason
Confusing plot line
Yippie
Midiclorians
They allowed episode 2 and 3 to exist
All of the above are negatives

pod racing and OST was good, but the movie as a whole was painful. Still gotta hand it to Lucas that even if the film itself was really really bad he got it right with pod racing.

did obi wan actually cuck anakin?

Loved it!
>Liam Neeson
>Darth Maul
>Pod racing
>Second best lightsaber duel
>Duel of Fates

We had this movie in economics because of the trade federation. A lot of the political talk was confusing and boring as a child, now it just feels out of place and boring.
The rest of the film feels the same way. It's either that or very childish sequences as well as mindless action scenes.

Unlike the other prequels, this one looks good, or at least not as fake. Apparently, it's because it's shot on film and, thus, the CGI imprints and merges with it. Though then I wonder if such an effect could have been used in post-production in the later installments to make the other movies look the same way.

Pod racing was stupid and was forced as fuck
It would have been better if anakin was older and entered a physical duel like competition. A mad max esque world would have made a better movie

pod racing was about 10mins and 5 laps too long

Honestly? It's ok. Nice sets and atmosphere, some great action like the podrace. But the story is just a mess, it jumps all over the place, grinds to a halt on Tatooine with pointless side-plots, and a little kid saving the day is just horrifically cheesy.

I'd say 6/10

it's 30% cool shit and 70% dumb shit, should've been the other way around

Whole movie would be a lot better if it didn't have two things - Jar Jar and 8 year old Anakin.

Maybe pod racing took off because it was the only redeeming part of the movie? Of course the way pod racing was used was as bad as everything else in the movie, but that wasn't the fault of pod racing itself.

Anyways the movie is a legit 1.9/10

Best of the shitquels, everything with Jarjar Anikin were garbage but the rest was OK.
Cool designs.

Too bad II and III ruined the whole franchise.

I cringed really hard when Liam started meditating during the light saber duel

it's probably what white people think asian warrior monks are like

Gui Gon was a pretty chill dude. Was he the protagonist?

he's the old obi wan

Jar Jar could've worked if he were a Klingon-like creature. Dumb, but honorable or someshit

>goy gon

Obviously the temple's weed dealer. Green sabre was a dead give away.

Deeply flawed but also deeply misunderstood, there's way more going on there than most people give it credit for.

It is definitely not podracing.

Its the most boring star wars movie

The pod-racing setpiece is one of the best in the entire series. It's like the chariot race from Ben-Hur crossed with an episode of Wacky Racers.

The best of the three prequels, but still shockingly bad in many ways.

The hype and anticipation leading up to it ended up making it the biggest cinematic letdown of many peoples lives, I know it is for me.

I can't fathom how the concept of the Trade Federation got out of the writing room. It's so baffling they dropped it the very next movie and just used "Separatists." Like they're the most capable force in the whole galaxy, what the fuck were they trying to do in Naboo?

something something taxation of the trade routes

10/10

i enjoy it everytime i watch it. duel of the fates was epic. young anakin played it well. padme was hot. liam neeson and maul killed too soon. that flying jew lololololol

they were the richs planets of the galaxy.So yes if you can buy and make armys of droids the form infinite you are mostly the most capable force in the whole galaxy.

Maul lived though

>The Trade Federation is mobilizing their entire unmatched, force to a random planet over taxing trade routes
I really need someone to explain this to me. I'm trying to imagine George pitching this to everyone and all end up with is everyone nodding their head for fear of exile.

Besides the cast of actors (not their performance) and the score, it's SHIT

bibbleposting justifies its existence 2Bh

>Grey Jedi
Within the movie, and not introducing anything from EU like "Grey Jedi," he just seems like a moral-less opportunist. This could've worked to explain why Anakin's training was fucked before the start but it just seems like shitty writing. Why the fuck did the Council give the go ahead to train Anakin?

When you realize Sheev is the main character it becomes 9/10 multi-layered political thriller kino

Most lore and world building of any Star Wars movie.

If not for the stupid Jar Jar kid humor, it would be probably be a top 10 kino of all time.

It's bot really unprecedented. British East India Company could pull it off. The deal is the Trade Fed aggression should've been focused on Coruscant (the government that made the tax or whatevs), not on Bumfuck, Nowhere.

What the shit, nigger were you even watching the movie? The Trade Federation was a mega-corporation nation state that Senator Palpatine/Darth Sidious hired to attack the planet Naboo. The ultimate goal wasn't Naboo in particular it was to grant more power to the Chancellor, which he rigged ahead of time for himself. The whole movie is about a power grab and the Jedi not figuring it out.

Fun little flick. Nowhere near the glory of the OT, but nowhere near the clusterfuck that are eps II and III

>Liam Neeson
>Ewan McGregor
>reasonable amount of practical effects
>podracing

I give it a 5/10.

My favourite Star Wars movie and also one of my favourite movies ever

troll

youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

Pretend Jar Jar doesn't exist and it's the most solid of the prequels.

>The United States is the most capable force in the whole galaxy
>What the fuck were they trying to do in Afganistan

It has its moments, essentially the same as RotJ. It's certainly better than Clones

>Darth Maul had worlds of potential
No he fucking did not. He died.

He had every bit as much potential as Tarkin did. Because they were both throw away antagonists used to establish a greater point about the people they worked with than they ever were characters of their own.

Yeah, I'm sure occupying Coruscant would have worked out well.

Did you miss the part where they didn't want the Senate to know about their invasion?

Actually not though, I watched it as a kid and absolutely loved it, stuck with me ever since despite it's flaws

the setup is beyond fucking boring, fucking trade regulations and taxation wtf
the entire naboo sequence with obiwan quigon + jarjar is the part where i always turn it off and watch something else instead.
anakin is plain annoying.
apparently im the only one that has always thought that darth maul is just edgy as fuck.

overall i feel no tension at all when watching this movie. some stupid beige coloured idiot robots attack queen valium and i couldnt give a fuck.

im not even a star wars fan. i watched this movie once, didnt like it then. watched it again later, still its a heap of junk.
i dont plan on ever watching it again. 2/10 max because good CGI for the times and the score is good. but that isnt enough for a good movie. thats just wasted potential.

yup, that pretty much hits the spot for this heap of junk.
wasted potential.

>Yeah, I'm sure occupying Coruscant would have worked out well.
Since the Republic had no army, yeah.

it's garbage. that would be unremarkable were it not for its being a star wars film, the first in 16 years, and the one that would, ultimately, irrevocably damage the series and tarnish the brand; leading to the dire, uncertain position that star wars now finds itself in.

beyond the sub-amateurish, nonsensical narrative; the awful, annoying characters; the wooden dialogue; the misportayal of star wars' themes and lore; the mistaken changes and additions to established canon; and the overarching, bizarre inconsistencies with the previous films, the worst thing about TPM is what a massive waste of time and opportunities it was.

production of the film began in 1994, and its release was in 1999; to think that, during all that time, we could have had the beginnings of a sequel trilogy; one featuring hamill, ford and fisher while they were still relatively young. perhaps directed by spielberg -- fresh off jurassic park -- or another of lucas' contemporaries, with screenplays by the best writers in hollywood. there were, basically, no limits or constraints on what a new 'star wars' movie could be; virtually every young writer and director in the world had grown up with star wars, many of them becoming interested in filmmaking because of it, and would have killed for the chance to work on 'the new star wars.' but, because of lucas' selfishness and obsession with total control, it would instead be a film made in a bubble, by someone who'd long ago lost their touch and their sensibility.

when i look at TPM, i see waste. waste of money, waste of effort, waste of talent, waste of opportunity and, worst of all, waste of time. time that we can never get back. mistakes that can never be unmade. 'the phantom menace' is one of cinema's worst mistakes, and an irredeemable disgrace.

>beyond the sub-amateurish, nonsensical narrative; the awful, annoying characters; the wooden dialogue; the misportayal of star wars' themes and lore; the mistaken changes and additions to established canon; and the overarching, bizarre inconsistencies with the previous films, the worst thing about TPM is what a massive waste of time and opportunities it was.

It was TFA of its time, to be honest.
>muh star wars is back
>holy shit so hype
>much podracing
>so actors
>very lightsabery
>its like poetry
Few month ahead.
>fucking christ wtf am i watched

It had the best lightsaber fight in the entire series ignoring any "muh subtext" arguments. I don't get why they didn't get whoever choreographed that fight to come back.

I was literally worst fight. More like a dance number, when 3 homos try hard not to hurt each other.

Episode 2 and 3s fights are far more dance-like than Episode 1's.

>tfw to intelligent to watch starshit

Maybe, but all prequelfags always fap hard on duel of homos, like its a best thing ever.

yet here you are on a board discussing an art form born to please the lower classes.

It far from being good because it had no purpose in the story other than being a boss fight for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the end of the movie.

Choreography-wise though, it was pretty good.

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to watch it 5 times I would. If someone told me to watch Attack of the Clones 5 times I'd take the gun out of the persons hand and shoot myself.

Not the worst one of the series, that honor goes to the second one. Largely underrated because while it's certainly not as good as the original trilogy, it is a mediocre film rather than a bad one. People were disappointed with it being worse than the originals and a sort of outrage poured out about it. By the time the second one rolled around people's expectations were lower so it never got the terrible reputation of the first. Overall, about as good as TFA.

Still baffles me Lucas didn't just cast Liam Neeson as Anakin and have Obi-Wan be his Padawan.

Just the n64 podracer game and podracer sequence was superior to everything disney has shat out so far

This. I will admit, aome good games came out with the prequels.

the english language doesn't have a word for a statement this stupid

I'd be ok living in this altered universe.

You bet your banana

The Phantom Menace

Pros:
>fun action sequences, particularly the pod race and duel with Maul
>cool visual designs on the droids and planets
>Darth Maul was a potentially cool villain except he was killed-off with little development
>Qui-Gon Jinn was a potentially cool mentor except he was killed-off with little development
>one the strongest scores from Williams

Faults:
>cheapens the Jedi with heavily-choreographed fights and midichlorians
>Jarjar Binks
>Young Anakin
>overuse of shitty, dated CGI and practical effects are inferior to original trilogy
>Anakin and Obi-Wan are thinly-written and not developed enough
>overall plot is kind-of boring, dull, and isn't very important to the rest of the series
>villains are just dorky, spineless droids and gook aliens

Pros:
>better action sequences
>Christopher FUCKING Lee
>more cool visual designs, super battle droids in-particular
>Obi-Wan is more well-developed and likeable
>Jarjar's role is decreased

Faults:
>angsty, melodramatic Anakin
>cheesy, dull romance subplot
>cheapens Stormtroopers and Boba Fett by making them clones (I guess this was partly retconned though)
>CGI overload, very few practical effects besides costumes

Meant to say Attach of the Clones

Another fault:

>too much fanservice crap, especially the duel with Yoda at the end

Massively underrated. It had most threatening in the prequels and also best swordfighting choreography of any Star Wars movie. Journey through the core of Naboo was god-tier, so was the podracing. Also it was the only movie ever a i saw in theatre twice.

I don't hate it as much as I should.

Revenge of the Sith

Pros:
>dark and edgy tone and good atmosphere
>Palpatine is an excellent, memorable villain
>great score from Williams
>best action sequences of the original trilogy
>Obi-Wan's goofy one-liners

Faults:
>heavily-cheapens droids and overall tone with shitty comic relief
>Obi-Wan's goofy one-liners
>more angsty Anakin
>"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

*prequel trilogy

fuck

I liked it as a kid
Still don't hate it today 6/10

The clone aspect could've been really cool, but they don't go into the morality of cloning an army at all. I think they mention that cloning is illegal and that's it. The fact that stormtroopers are clones has no impact on the story.

Kek

Best star wars film since OT.

Prequel trilogy comes ahead of 7 and what I've seen of Rogue One so far.

Give it a few years, prequel trilogy will be lauded highly because of how Disney have screwed the pooch.