ITT: Overrated and overhyped in the past 10 years

ITT: Overrated and overhyped in the past 10 years

Pic definitely related.

This and I'll nominate It Follows too, over shilled pieces of shit. More like It Shills

How was Babadook overrated or overhyped?

>I can only watch a movie if someone else tells me it's good.

>It's well liked so it's bad

Nah, this and The Witch were very good, It Follows to a lesser extent as well.

It lacks the cheesy, rote jump-scares and gore, but instead provides a more personal existential fear, that of raising a child. Something some of us over 18 think about.

I dunno senpai I thought it had a good theme.
The ending was a little stupid, but that was more of a presentation issue.

Ok so how do they suddenly keep it in the basement or whatever

Way to steal all the correct points I was gonna make before I got to your post, faggot

She learned how to suppress her anger. That's what the basement scene was about.

Pretty sure, since the babadook was a metaphor for depression , it was more about the fact that it would never go away but she could control and keep it tucked away

>t. 80 IQ

It's trash, agree. Turned into a comedy after she got "possessed" and started screaming like a maniac, like It follows also did in the beach scene.

>m-muh depression allegory
So deep, damn. Nevermind the dinosaur effects lmao

First off nobody says it follows was scary. They say it was good. They cite the cinematography, score and the atmosphere as reasons why it is a great movie. Problem is it follows is a horror movie without any scary moments. We've completely lost track of what a horror movie should be

"But what about the tall dude in the hallway?"

>Not scary

Unless you are 5 or below, you shouldn't find any horror movies scary.
It's all about the atmosphere and themes.

True. But what about It Follows, a movie which was heavy with both was scary? Nothing.

I liked it

But you can trivialise any horror movie by that logic.

> Dude satan lmao
> Dude zombies lmao
> Dude monster lmao

It may not be scary, but the aim of the producers was to make a scary movie. Despite the results, it definitely fits into the horror genre.

This piece of shit had one some of the worst scripts and editing choices I've ever seen in film, how the hell is it considered one of the best movies of 2016 by practically everyone? So many plot holes and dumb, illogical creative choices.

pretty deep for a horror movie so

what are 'dinosaur effects'?

Upstream Color
Sicario
Boyhood

>muhhhh metaphor

Nice try dumbshits, but that's the laziest trick in a director's book, and you fell for it. This 'movie' had no actual depth, and just calling the babadook an allegory for the protagonists depression doesn't change that.

What if I treated it like an alien invasion movie and still loved it?

Upstream color is the ultimate proof that all you need is a cheap camera, a complicated mess of a plot and some cool music and you can become famous, as long as there are enough reddit ""sci fi nerds"" that will eat your crap up.

So congratulations Shane Carruth, I guess you are a genius after all, just not in the way you believe

No, no you can't. The Thing is a perfect example of atmoshpere and themes as well as a blend of horror.

I don't feel like I am arguing with you just that we haven't explained to each other what we want in a horror flick

Thank you! Finally somebody else feels rthe same way i do

I believe it's our responsibility when within a climate of mindless blockbusters to support the one that at least tries to intellectually challenge its viewers with questions of physics, philosophy, where man is, and where it may, or can, go.

Same reason why there's a community on Sup Forums that shills for Batman vs superman over Civil War. At least Snyder fucking tried something different.

>he wasn't famous before upstream color

why did aliens shape their ship like a buttplug

Sup Forums liked it at first and then red.dit liked it so now Sup Forums hates it

This movie is literally about depression, the babadook is ancillary. It's a depressed woman neglecting and abusing her son.

That's the reason I thought it was creepy. Fuck all the babadook shit.

It's trite to point out that the babadook is symbolic of the depression, but it's equally trite to point out how cliche that symbolism is.

>2016
>watching horror.

>cheap camera, a complicated mess of a plot and some cool music
>as long as there are enough reddit ""sci fi nerds"" that will eat your crap up.
Primer fits all of these criteria perfectly as well.

I get your point, but I don't consider a movie where a character learns to see the future by learning a new language intellectually challenging, I consider it intellectually challenged. Not the mention the paradox of the Chinese leader providing his cellphone number in the future, not to mention lines like "let's make a baby", not to mention the colonel expecting the protag to instantly translate alien language on the basis of 20 seconds of random noise. Why did one of the aliens hang around if he knew he'll die from the bomb? And why the fuck is the narrative focus on the protags boring daughter we know nothing about in the movie with aliens, first contact, seeing the future, space linguistics etc?
Just because a movie deals with intellectual themes doesn't mean it's intellectually challenging, I'd rather see an action movie done well than some half-assed attempt at being profound and sublime.

The babadook makes the same noise as the trex in land before time.

The difference (to me) is primer actually made sense (I realize I'm leaving myself open here to trolls saying I didn't get it).

But primer was convoluted because of the time travel, but there was actually a plot, character motivations and a somewhat logical progression buried in there which was kind of fun to figure out.

I guess the director thought "oh hey, people like movies that are hard to understand" so he tried again we end up with bullshit like this:

> A man performs operations on people to transfer a parasitic worm from their body into a pigs. He does this so when they get emotional, the pigs (who are now psychically linked to the people) also get emotional, and he can sample their oinking to make electronic music.

I get the impression that people who "got" the movie just understood the flow of events and called it a day. Sure, I understood what happened, I just everything that happened was fucking retarded.

>get emotional, and he can sample their oinking to make electronic music.
Keep I must have missed that. To me, Upstream Color was a perfectly executed style over substance film.

I like this movie, Noah Wiseman is very cute, he really conquered my heart :3

>le deep kino

It was thinly-veiled and couldn't have tried harder to be pseudo-intellectually deep