ITT: unpopular opinions

ITT: unpopular opinions

Here are some of mine:
>Metalfags can't play guitar and are ruining the instrument.
>99% of metal is shit.
>hiphop is no longer good because the majority rappers don't have a message. Take the message out and you're left with a shitty beat and some repetitive words.
>Rock music was never that good. That's why there is no more room to innovate in the genre today.

Yours are the most boilerplate opinions the 21st century could ask for

those are all pretty accurate, honestly.
>grimes isn't that good, you're just being waifu fags, same with bjork and even kate bush.

Why would you even write your "unpopular" opinion on this thread. I write my "unpopular opinons akk the time in this site and I have freedom to say what I want. You're right, Metal and Rock aren't even that great but it have some good bands. Also, Hip Hop is still good, you're just too nostalgic or just too old to understand the genre these days.

>genres are for brainlets

>bjork
sorry but you're wrong about this one. Im not a waifufag, vespertine is probably one of the best female fronted albums ever

>It has to have a message to be enjoyable
You’re the kind of guy who only watches TV shows where they have a speech about what they learned at the end.

Metal is so shitty nobody outside of the scene cares about it

>Hip Hop is still good, you're just too nostalgic or just too old to understand the genre these days.

>the best guitar player outside of actual flamenco players is Michael Schenker
>though some of the best albums have come out of the genre, hip hop is one of the worst and most creatively devoid genres, especially in the current landscape
>punk is overrated and the ideology limits creativity and the whole thing is hypocritical, but post-punk is one of the greatest umbrella genres and nearly everything under the term is good
>Merzbow is not a very good noise artist
>metal as a whole is currently one of the only genres that isn't devoid of creativity and talent
>Grunge is grossly overrated for such a small genre, and there are very few good albums within it
Even though the Foo Fighters are very spotty, Everlong is the greatest thing to come out of anything grunge related
>Around the Fur is better than White Pony
>trap rap has maybe 2 good albums across the medium
>Michael Jackson is a better artist than your favorite artist
>Chris Isaak did Elvis better than Elvis
>Memphis Rap is the best thing out of hip hop
>Delete Yourself by Atari Teenage Riot has had influence much wider than it's given credit for and it's one of the greatest albums of the 90s
>Bjork is the greatest female artist and isn't incredibly attractive. People on here waifufag her for some reason and it's why she doesn't get as much credit.

Yeezus is a pretty important album

I agree ab grimes, but miss me on the bork and bush hate my man

>Listening music for the lyrics is as shallow and stupid as watching movies for the special effects.

>If it airs on MTV it's probably bad

>I'm not saying only obscure shit is good but if you only listen to extremely popular bands you have no personality

>And also too many people based their whole personality in the type of music they listen to, that's shallow as fuck

Metal is bad because of bands like issues.

>>Metalfags can't play guitar and are ruining the instrument.
Elaborate.

he just can't feel it

rock's not dead!!!

>Trent Reznor is one of the GOAT producers and He's the new Brian Eno

1. Yo La Tengo can never be good because they are terrible at making albums. They shove all their filler and failed experiments on every album just because they already composed them and it's super frustrating. And honestly I don't think they're a good band anyway

2. Merriweather Post Pavillion and Sung Tongs are absurdly overrated and two of their worst records, almost as bad as Painting With. Songs like "We Tigers" seriously make me angry

3. Beatles White album is stupidly overrated too. Blackbird and While My Guitar are incredible, but there's SO many duds. Honey Pie is one of their worst songs, Ob Li is just annoying, and a solid at least 10 songs on the album are just less passionate and half baked Bill Haley and Little Richard ripoffs in the vein of their first album, which at least had more charisma. Don't see how people get themselves mentally to a 5 star rating

4. Lady Gaga and Katy Perry both have some really great songs squeezed in between some of their terrible ones. see "ET", "Firework" and "Paparazzi" and "Telephone"

5. As mentioned already, Surfer Rosa outside of Where Is My Mind is flat and uninteresting as hell. I love Albini and it's really more the band's fault for picking him but his dry production makes the album almost unlistenable it's such a mismatch to the sound.

6. Grimes's song California is one of the worst experiences I've ever had listening to music. That grating chorus gives me nighmares

7. Thursday Afternoon is Eno's best ambient record. It's absolutely beautiful and meditative and it feels exactly like an existential walk under perfect weather on a Thursday afternoon.

8. Dopesmoker has a great riff but after the first 30 minutes the repetition is just unbearable. I couldn't in good conscience call it a thoroughly good or enjoyable album and I don't really get stretching it out so long since even the first half hour is incredibly hypnotic

9. Cynic- Focus is an annoying and bad record

>And also too many people based their whole personality in the type of music they listen to
there's nothing wrong with that, although not exploring different music at all because of that can be kind of shallow

>>I'm not saying only obscure shit is good but if you only listen to extremely popular bands you have no personality
the obscure bands you listen to are probably the derivatives of the more popular ones anyway, especially if the band that you like is a recent one

10. Four Calendar Café is one of Cocteau Twins's best records, if not the, and I love the band in general. It's absolutely beautiful and when Fraser actually goes for meaningful and intelligible lyrics she nails it

11. London Calling is a 10/10 but I can't get with any of the rest of the band's discog. Especially the s/t I find really middle of the road and unmoving

12. On the punk tangent, fuck the ramones and fuck the pistols. Both are untalented, uninteresting and really quite annoying. The Pistols are a complete façade that essentially used their anarchist platform to literally promote a big business(lmao), but at least they could write a good riff which the ramones couldn't even do. Punk's been around since literally the mid 60's and all these guys did was boil it down to a dumbed down and one-dimensional formula.

13. On that note, I don't really care for Public Image's debut either. It's cringe and immature musically and Metal Box is 100x more enjoyable

14. Jeru the Damaja is really middle of the road and doesn't really stand out to me. He's a decent rapper but nothing more than that and his lifeless, trite boom bap beats never gripped me

15. Avenged Sevenfold has 3 incredible albums under their belt with their first three records. They get an absurd amount of undeserved hate because of the scene they're associated with, but they make really innovative and high octane music, and are a pinnacle of 2000s metalcore craze, especially with WTF. They can write catchy and memorable tracks, riffs that bash you over the head, and in terms of raw talent Synyster is an insanely good guitarist I don't care what anyone says and the Rev was a virtuoso a well, RIP.

16. Of Montreal have literally double digit great albums and while Hissing Fauna is god tier I think Cherry Peel is their best album. It’s so innocent and beautiful, and the DIY lo fi production backs that perfectly. The writing’s stellar throughout too

Conjectures, at the same level of "if they're good they wouldn't be obscure".

Wow these are some pretty insufferable opinions. If conscious hop is what you’re looking for why don’t you just look for it? I listened to 50+ Hip hop albums just last year with an overarching message.
Also
>music needing a message

>shit opinion about metal guitar

Maybe if all you’ve heard is wanky dream theater shit
Grimes? Hell ya. The other two? Fuck outta here. Both geniuses, the latter being the female musician of all time. I don’t feel you at all on the waifu fag shit, we aren’t all basement dwelling fetishists. Bjork and Kate just make great music
Everlong isn’t even a grunge track but I agree they don’t deserve the hate, they have some great songs.

Agree about punk, the genre sort of pigeonholes itself with its characteristics. And yea I’ve always found Merzbow more of a pioneer than an actually really talented noise artist other than a few albums. Pulse demon’s so overrated
Kek yikes. The album literally just parrots death grips and other industrial hop acts that were around a decade before the album
Couldn’t fucking agree more about the last statement. Normies do this shit all the time where if you listen to metal you’re automatically angry, reggae = stoner, shit’s so lame.

17. Emo Trap is the most frustrated I've been with a trend for as long as I can remember. The potential is massive and yet almost all of what I've heard, which is a lot, way too much probably, has been completely insufferable. I think Nothing. Nowhere. is the only one I can even get behind fully so far.

18. Kamasi Washington- The Epic is a hamfisted wankfest that lacks taste and chemistry. It was essentially a bunch of incredible talents shoved into a room and it sounds like they were forced to just perform without properly sitting with or meditating on anything on the record. The 3 hour runtime is laughable for the ridiculously few number of ideas the record has for it after the first hour.

19. Belle and Sebastian are way overrated, and I can't get into them at all. I'm in love with a lot of music in their vein of sound but with them specifically I just find everything so bland and flat. It just fails to jerk any emotion out of me which is clearly its intention so everything really just puts me to sleep.

20. I'm a big Vince Staples fan and I find Big Fish Theory a really obnoxious record. I loved the dark, grimy feel of Summertime and I just don't think the hip house sound fits him AT ALL. I respect the experiment but the combination of unexciting lyrics, mismatched production, and repetitive braindead choruses makes it really a disappointing album for me.

>What is greentext

>Kek yikes. The album literally just parrots death grips
The only parrot here is you with your unabashedly retarded opinion(s)

What the hell does it matter if I greentext or not
Doesn’t even make sense. How am I parroting my own opinions

>Ugly girls like bjork and grimes are incapable of making good music.
>Only hot girls can make good music
>looks are not a factor in whether male musicians/artists make good music

This is probably b8 but if not you’re the most vain person I think I’ve seen on this site. What a stupid opinion

number 10 is definitely true
i don't think it's a better album than HOLV but it's definitely up there
and it's only considered a "lesser" album because it's a departure

I think we should train animals to play instruments. Maybe elephants because they are intelligent enough to make something unique.

>Cynic- Focus is an annoying and bad record
WHAT

WHAT

FOCUS IS THE BEST RECORD EVER. MADE

It’s horribly mixed, the synths just cloud out the rest of the instrumentation, and I found the vocals really grating. I like a lot of similar metal but that album is really just insufferable to me

>music must have a message to be good

This

>Listening to music for the lyrics is as shallow as watching movies for the special effects
What did he mean by this?

Listen to metal sometime.

>Tripfag
>Shitty opinion
How original

I agree with you about Focus. The vocal effects pretty irritating.

Traced in Air was better.

ARE YOUR EARS BROKEN? CAN'T YOU HEAR?

FACTUALLY INCORRECT

>Metalfags can't play guitar and are ruining the instrument.

Oh they can play all right. Technique, accuracy and speedwise; they may be even better than most guitarists. Unfortunately they retain that hard rock mentality (see: musically illiterate) so the vast majority cant write sophisticated tunes or play expressively for jack shit.

>99% of metal is shit.

True but so is most music.

>hiphop is no longer good because the majority rappers don't have a message. Take the message out and you're left with a shitty beat and some repetitive words.

Hip hop was always shit but coming from a person whos never cared for lyrics, i may be extremely biased.

>Rock music was never that good. That's why there is no more room to innovate in the genre today.

As much short comings as it has, its still been the driving backbone of 20th century popular music development; being a genre ultimately derived from both the blues and jazz. Its overexpanded and thus has its ups and its many downs. In my opinion, the western world needs to stop looking to black music for inspiration (hip hop was a regression from even funk, let alone jazz). I either forsee complete music stagnation or electronic music becoming the basis of 21st century music.

Genres are a useful means of categorisation. After all, there exists enough music already to run several lifetimes over. If youre one of those 'i just like whats good' people, then theres no reason to not just appreciate every genre.

Michael Jackson wasn't an artist, he was an entertainer.

I find most of Talking Heads discography to be underwhelming particularly their experimental period which while admirable in their attempt to progress beyond being a simple punk band, fails to produce anything of lasting merit.
I think a lot of the love just stems from people who listen to those albums have very limited taste outside of a set of genres so when they hear something like Remain In Light, it's the first time they've actually heard Afrobeat and are immediately impressed, no matter how shallow or sub-par it is. It seems like the same principle for Bowie fans.
They're also just lame and uncool, which hampers your ability to do genres like Funk, for instance.

>the best guitar player outside of actual flamenco players is Michael Schenker

Add jazz alongside flamenco and Id agree alot more with you. Schenker is one of the best in his genre.

>though some of the best albums have come out of the genre, hip hop is one of the worst and most creatively devoid genres, especially in the current landscape

Based

>punk is overrated and the ideology limits creativity and the whole thing is hypocritical, but post-punk is one of the greatest umbrella genres and nearly everything under the term is good

My exact opinion of punk too

>Merzbow is not a very good noise artist

Noise is autistic anyways

>metal as a whole is currently one of the only genres that isn't devoid of creativity and talent

As shitty as metal is now, this is somehow the absolute truth. Absolutely depressing.

>Grunge is grossly overrated for such a small genre, and there are very few good albums within it

ITT: true opinions

Even though the Foo Fighters are very spotty, Everlong is the greatest thing to come out of anything grunge related
>Around the Fur is better than White Pony

Eww is this Deftones?

>trap rap has maybe 2 good albums across the medium

Wouldnt be surprised

>Michael Jackson is a better artist than your favorite artist

Definitely more talented than most pop artists but not my favorite pop songs.

>Chris Isaak did Elvis better than Elvis
>Memphis Rap is the best thing out of hip hop
>Delete Yourself by Atari Teenage Riot has had influence much wider than it's given credit for and it's one of the greatest albums of the 90s
>Bjork is the greatest female artist and isn't incredibly attractive. People on here waifufag her for some reason and it's why she doesn't get as much credit.

Whomst are all these people?

>Listening music for the lyrics is as shallow and stupid as watching movies for the special effects.

Lyric fags are the biggest of plebs. If those fags like words so much, they sjould just listen to an audio book instead of having it constrained to instrumentals they wont appreciate anyways.

At least its less bad the older the air date is.

>I'm not saying only obscure shit is good but if you only listen to extremely popular bands you have no personality

Best and most personal music is always obscure.

>And also too many people based their whole personality in the type of music they listen to, that's shallow as fuck

Inb4 extreme forced eclectism in music choices.

This.

MTV aired a ton of underground/indie shit though.

And more indie/alternative artists like the Flaming Lips, Blur, New Order, Morrisey, Nine Inch Nails etc. all got played on Top 40 radio and heavy rotation on MTV in the 90s

>Spiderland (and by extension Slint) is incredibly overrated. It is mediocre to shit at best.

>Sufjan Stevens is a whiny hipster faggot who makes obnoxious XD so quaint music

>Sup Forumscore is the easiest way to tell if I should disregard someones opinion. Thank you for assembling all that awful music in one spot.

>Hip hop and rap are the two worst genres on this board. They're only good for being made fun of and to ironically use their "culture".

>Post Malone is a shitty memerapper who gained internet notoriety by being "one of us". He's just like every other dumb fucking hip-hop artist in both style and attitude except he has memes.

> Queen is shit.

Spiderlands is virginity in aural form
It's for a bunch of limp-wristed, self-pitying faggots who think they're superior and that them being miserable, unlikable cunts makes them deep