Why are guitarfags so bad at music theory?

Why are guitarfags so bad at music theory?

go back there

Jnny says "hi"

Because you don't need music theory when just starting out, it's more about shapes and technique at that point and a lot of people don't bother getting into music theory later on.

In the best scenario the grab a guitar text book and it has wrong harmony info.
In the average scenario, they don't care about music, just want to move the fingers.
In the worst scenario they are retarded. Normally is a blend of the last two.

Because most guitarist don’t care about making quality music, rather they only want to play songs which doesn’t require a great deal of musical knowledge

"I just play stuff that sounds good man I don't know any of the theory behind it"

Because the Beatles didn't know any music theory so people (if only subconsciously) think that because the Beatles didn't put that effort in, they don't have to, either. The Beatles couldn't even read music.

But they had quite an ear. Some of his songs have some borrowed chords that are very hard to pull off without any theory.

I personally like the concept of music theory i just prefer boroque style of making riffs it ends up sounding more reminiscent to a vibe i have in my head. These guys just want to get theyre willy wet or something they dont actually enjoy guitar honestly if they saw this board theyd probably stop alltogether

Because learning keys, scales and chords is 10x easier on a keyboard than a fretboard

While I agree its not impressive at all covering other peoples tunes, some people just prefer to play along to songs they like.

My friends are all talented as fuck and their bands gig is about 1/3 covers, 2/3 original material. Gotta hook the mouth breathers in the audience with a classic tune, even if you don't enjoy playing it.

As for theory...eh, know chords, know scales and what sounds good together and get creative. Its runner that way instead of reducing your own creative process to a strict science.

Theory isn't entirely necessary, especially for guitarists. That being said, it's worth learning and I don't see why some people just refuse to learn.

Most guitarists are musically illiterate because their "Heroes" were too.

Classical and classically-trained guitarists are literally the only guitarists worth a fuck.

music theory is the best thing to make someone better at guitar, look at steve vai, john mayer, john petrucci, all of them studied music theory and all of them are guitar gods

You have such a subtle level of irony that, for a second, I almost thought you were serious.

Because you can play a certain set of notes on totally different frets, that's why tab works better

It's just the lack of interest

I've been playing guitar for 12 years and about 3 years in I hit the ceiling of what I can do and write without theory.

It would be nice and convenient to know, but I'm satisfied with the songs I can play and learn. It would improve my own songs a lot I'm sure, but I'm just not motivated enough to put that energy into it like I was in the beginning.

I have a friend who actually studied music for like 6 years, it was great watching him at home parties grabbing the guitar and playing whatever they asked him to, even if he didn't know the song that well

>but I'm satisfied with the songs I can play and learn
No you're not
>but I'm just not motivated enough to put that energy into it
There we go

Because the origins of modern "guitar music" emerges from poor people, ie. blues, traditional folk, country, bluegrass, etc. These people would have had little formal education with regards to music, but made music nonetheless.

>caring about le reddit theory

ITT Living proof that we (guitarists) are more retarded than I assumed.

And they probably would have been better equipped to do it if they had access to better education. It's like saying we don't need to bother learning to read because Homer didn't need to read.

Don't need music theory to get pussy. Ever gotten laid after a jazz concert?

Absolutely abysmal thread, nice job op.

how am I suppose to make these nicer chords without music theory?

The only thing I don't want to do with music theory is sight read on the guitar. I much prefer to read the sheets normally. Is that a bad thing?

>Energy
>learning

Afraid the only other way is sheer trial and error. Or just mimicking how someone who DOES know theory plays them.

Because I don't need to learn theory mom
All I need are power chords duh

I more music theory than any Jizz guitar player and I only want to play hardcore punk.

Because I am too lazy to learn it. I've tried several times to sit down and learn theory but after 30 minutes I end up saying "Fuck this I have an idea for a song." Then I spend the next week working on the song.

I also don't really comprehend how you use music theory to make music. I know plenty of scales, but I have no idea how they are supposed to become songs. I can only comprehend making shitty normie tier this chord that chord type of songs with them.

What theory did for me in terms of songwriting is a lot of these "oh so THAT's why that song I wrote through trial and error years ago works" moments. You don't need it to write music but it can make the process of figuring out how to do what you want to do in a situation more efficient.

ITT: butthurt theoryfags that are jealous that no one wants to listen to their shit music and everyone wants to listen to Chad's music that actually sounds good despite him not knowing what the major scale is

Bump

Boroque will always reign supreme

>it can make the process of figuring out how to do what you want to do in a situation more efficient
HOW though. That's the thing that I do not understand.

Are you sure you aren't talking about bassists?

I guess how/whether it helps you depends a lot on how your brain works, for me it means internalising a lot of things that were trial and error before, and understanding why things work the way they do makes me feel more confident making decisions. There's no very tangible difference if you were decent at writing to begin with, it's more about a shift from "ok I'll just randomly try this" (or worse, "let's do that thing 14690 other songs have done because it works") to "let's use this harmonic device to achieve the effect I want here". Typically when I discover a new concept I go through a phase of spamming it all over the place to the point where it's retarded and actually detrimental until I find the right amount to use, but that goes for anything, not just theoretical concepts.

That doesn't answer my question though.

I never seem to get any sort of straightforward answer to this question. Theory just does not make sense to me.

For example. I know the minor scale. How do I turn that into a song that is not just some shitty chord chord chord chord song? That leap seems to have no answer that I can find on the internet. I don't like shitty chord songs so I write songs that are filled with lead guitar, but if you asked me what I was doing from a theory standpoint I would not be able to tell you.

Their use of diminished chords is bonkers, too.

The view of theory as rules is pretty bullshit, in all honesty it's just saying "this is what our ears notice". A perfect fifth is pure theory.

Diatonic triads are the basis of most western music so that's the very basics one should know. You probably know stuff like "take any note from a major/minor scale and add the 3rd and 5th degree from there to make a chord" already and yeah that's pretty basic and doesn't magically enable you to do anything new (other than provide guidelines on how to write extremely normal-sounding music if you stick to it strictly) but it's a good framework to mess around with. Chord scales and various substitutions, different scales one can play over different chords etc can give you ideas on how to spice it up from there, but the majority of your songwriting process should still be "ok let's try this" rather than "let's meticulously craft a composition using ONLY theory". The important thing to keep in mind is that music theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

tl;dr: maybe you really don't need it, but it can't hurt to learn it anyway.

It's mostly about, say, being able to hum something, find it on guitar, and work off that, for example. Knowing the minor can help you find the tonal centre based on the intervals you know.