Underground 90's Memphis Rap

The last thread was great, let's bring it back!

Post your favorite tapes (top5?), tracks or producers

Pic related is probably my #1 favorite, I just got a bootleg cassette tape off eBay and I love it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TM44yCBkpGc
youtube.com/watch?v=0wqK20tPX4s
youtube.com/watch?v=y168q9rwZvI&t=52s
youtube.com/watch?v=Vall8oGWIjA
mega.nz/#!RfJnnRTY!o4tt0Caqcgaj6eOrRKt2PCorl-STHT_MwtX4cwKJXZM
youtube.com/watch?v=_FSS_okCues
youtube.com/watch?v=IIhab7TphHI
youtube.com/watch?v=9f39H-GAVII
youtube.com/watch?v=eMTVhVfLiK4
youtube.com/watch?v=xS_m45yV5jU
discogs.com/artist/2869551-Gimisum-Family
youtube.com/watch?v=gDfa34K39jc
youtube.com/watch?v=20VER-S2130
youtube.com/watch?v=t2enNu8H6uw
youtube.com/watch?v=OTq2unNwEj0
youtube.com/watch?v=CVAvPT_P7wM
youtube.com/watch?v=gdVWmirQO54
youtube.com/watch?v=xBrxROap_n8
youtube.com/watch?v=Rnsjp2B5QbY
mega.nz/#F!iMwSQa6D!ThXZP9ALJX4-eWcgs1cY4g!3NJiDRAY
soundcloud.com/lilsvckrxd/gotta-plan-pt2-ft-mc-holocaust-video-in-description
youtube.com/watch?v=-nsbrdMddvI
youtube.com/watch?v=9ECnnJFlAts
youtu.be/8d3NntY4k18
youtube.com/watch?v=s-YL3HEWEyw
youtu.be/CI7x-JPgGjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Vy477dK5aZA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not really a fan of the scene but I like DJ Paul's work.

DJ Paul is certainly a master of this sound. Him, DJ Sound and Blackout are my favorites.

d o o m s h o p

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=TM44yCBkpGc

That Art of Noise sample works so well here. R.I.P. Koop

youtube.com/watch?v=0wqK20tPX4s

Proto-Cloud Rap right here lads. I didn't know TW3 produced most of his stuff until recently... he's damn good.

youtube.com/watch?v=y168q9rwZvI&t=52s

This track is WILD

bump

no

this is a group out of a few essential south memphis and orange mound guys.

>Sugar, spice, and everything nice. These were the ingredients chosen to create the perfect juggernaut of a Memphis hip hop producer. A DJ with the combined skills and twisted mentalities of three established geniuses: DJ Sound, DJ Squeeky, and Juicy J. The city of Memphis added another ingredient, however; chemical X. Thus, DJ Fela was born--a freakish hero of the SP1200 and turntables who burned the city down each time a cassette was released. Niggaz Don't Die pushed the limits of mid-90s underground Memphis like nothing else--it's almost some sort of crossover shit, but crossing over with genres that don't even exist. The songs are crafted from club rap elements like deep 808s and 16th hi-hat rhythms yet the end result is an outsider phenomenon of the highest caliber. If there was an actual Memphis version of SpaceGhostPurrp's Blackland Radio 66.6 concept, Niggaz Don't Die would be the closest to that description--an avant garde trap transmission from the other side. Like I mentioned before, DJ Fela has the insanity and improv aesthetics of Sound and Squeeky, but his music is even more radioactive than anything those legends ever put together. The sampling density on some of these tracks smokes even The Bomb Squad, a few of the drum machine mixes scorch around 200 BPM, he's adding or dropping elements on every bar of each song, and the snare rolls are hard enough to knock brain matter straight through my ears and nose. The verses from Fela's troop of rapper affiliates are distorted, surreal, and contribute to some of the greatest posse tracks I've heard. If you've got an affinity for off-the-chain Memphis music like Player 1 & Bloody Bones or dance-centered bass music, then you'll probably enjoy this scrambled assault of playerism more than most people. Rest in peace DJ Fela.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vall8oGWIjA

mega.nz/#!RfJnnRTY!o4tt0Caqcgaj6eOrRKt2PCorl-STHT_MwtX4cwKJXZM

I'm not familiar with them, are they $uicideBoy$-tier (trash)?

not necessarily, but not too far off. some members have made genuinely solid stuff. but most of it is just overused shit and romanticized _devilshyt_ worship.

bump

Tommy Wright also had the best verse here

bump

at least try to post something if you gonna bump it

damn this is awesome thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=_FSS_okCues

when are we going to get a good mainstream memphis rap revival? LUM is good but everyone whos doing numbers with this sound is trash rn

You missed out the raider clan hype by a good handful of years

Denzel Curry? Although he's more of product of the Memphis Rap revival trend and seems like he's moving further away from that sound with his new releases

Can't stop listening to this tape

youtube.com/watch?v=IIhab7TphHI

SERIOUS SHIT NO PLAYIN' HOE

Good one, Anna Got me Clickin' has such an addictive beat and hook

Honestly the only track I don't really like is Break Da Law and it's still a classic. I really wish Playa Fly and DJ Paul weren't beefing and made another album like this. Then again DJ Paul sucks now and all Fly has been doing is making music videos for tracks from 1998. Gay

DJ Akoza is actually great. Thats about it

3DMG and Roland Jones eclipse him.

youtube.com/watch?v=9f39H-GAVII

youtube.com/watch?v=eMTVhVfLiK4

These dudes are good! The beats remind me of the vidya-sounding TW3 tracks

Very underrated

youtube.com/watch?v=xS_m45yV5jU

>discogs.com/artist/2869551-Gimisum-Family

Is their other stuff as good as Vol. 1? That's the only one I've listened too

Why the chorus beat sound like old school runescape?

youtube.com/watch?v=gDfa34K39jc

youtube.com/watch?v=20VER-S2130

This beat is so distorted, it's on the verge of becoming noise

Noice, I dig it.

youtube.com/watch?v=t2enNu8H6uw

This beat is amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=OTq2unNwEj0

youtube.com/watch?v=CVAvPT_P7wM

youtube.com/watch?v=gdVWmirQO54

Demons Taking Over Me (1995) by Nigga Creep with DJ Sound production is pretty much a perfect "devil shyt" album.

I like every track on it but despise the album cover, someone should make an alt cover... maybe I can think of something.

youtube.com/watch?v=xBrxROap_n8

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=Rnsjp2B5QbY

Not from memphis rap, but a horrorcore classic (and not the corny type imo)

This dude's bar are disturbingly hilarious, quotables for days

>"I want to and I'm gonna trade heads with a moose"

>"Mess with N-I-P you must be tired of livin
>"Cut off your head - mmm, Thanksgiving"

>"Tied a needle to my dick then my grandmother rode me"

>"A dead goat got pregnant and said it was mine"

This is what hip-hop is about

bump

Holiday in Cambodia reddit ass nigga

?????

memphis archive

mega.nz/#F!iMwSQa6D!ThXZP9ALJX4-eWcgs1cY4g!3NJiDRAY

most projects that have surfaced the internet are here.

What's with all the Memphis threads lately? Also reposting this for those of you still in the Memphis area. Some underground performers.

bump

Sage

soundcloud.com/lilsvckrxd/gotta-plan-pt2-ft-mc-holocaust-video-in-description

found this the other day, shit slaps

shit, we would only have these kind of threads near halloween or once like every 4 months. halloween 2015 was a really comfy time
i'm glad it's catching on

is lil ugly mane the only contemporary artist to do horrorcore/memphis rap right?

youtube.com/watch?v=-nsbrdMddvI
I really like this

where's part 2???

bump

I like most of the modern stuff but it's different to the old stuff and I can see why others don't like it

Discogs is wrong, Demons Taking Over Me was never released in 95, and indeed never existed until a few years ago. Player 1 (used to be a Memphis rapper, but now notorious for bootlegging tons of old Memphis tapes he doesn't own the rights to) put it together and "re-released" it, acting like it was a lost Memphis classic.

In reality Nigga Creep never released any solo tapes in his lifetime, and all the tracks on Demons Taking Over Me come from different DJ Sound/Frayser Click tapes.

Underrated track/tape by 2 Low Key (sometimes known as just Low Key).

For some reason a couple tracks on this tape were included on a version of Lil Noid's tape Paranoid Funk (another great tape), some under different song titles. Anyone know why?

Love this track, great tape
youtube.com/watch?v=9ECnnJFlAts

I still don't know how the John Maus meeting happened, were they playing the same venue or something?

Probably, TWIII was on tour in 2017. I missed him his Detroit show unfortunately.

Wow. Now that I think of it I’ve heard most songs on the album on different Frayser Click/DJ Sound tapes, slightly different versions though. That sucks, it would be acceptable if Nigga Creep really intended to drop a solo tape but it wasn’t finished or just wasn’t released but these tracks/verses were already out. Fuck him, I hope DJ Sound don’t approve this fuckery.

I do know that Nigga Creep was murdered in 2000 during a robbery

Yeah they were. Tommy talks about it here (he sounds very excited)

youtu.be/8d3NntY4k18

@16:50

I pray every night for a LUM x Tommy Wright collab

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=s-YL3HEWEyw
>BINGHAMPTON
>BINGHAMPTON
>BINGHAMPTON
>BINGHAMPTON NIGGAS

youtu.be/CI7x-JPgGjQ

Tommy has been everywhere lately

youtube.com/watch?v=Vy477dK5aZA

One of my favorites by TW3

How do you guys feel about Evil Pimp? He’s based in Iowa but was born and raised in Memphis and does strictly devil shyt/horrorcore