StarTrek fans! gather up!

>With the news that Netflix had secured international rights came formation that this Trek would feature "a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation."
>The lead character - who will be female, and likely either black or Hispanic - will be "on a journey that's going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy," Fuller's revealed. "For her to truly understand something that is alien, she has to first understand herself."
>And in a Trek first, the lead character will not be the ship's captain, but the Discovery's lieutenant commander - joined by an ensemble of roughly seven main characters.
>These will include a female admiral, a male admiral, a male adviser and a British male doctor - and one of the male characters will be openly gay, btw.
>Plus - get this - our lead will be taking her orders from a Klingon captain. Now that's progressive!
digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/feature/a795431/star-trek-tv-show-2017-cast-characters-continues-series-tv-series/

Other urls found in this thread:

idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-discovery-cast-likely-include-presumably-atheist-muslim-crewmember-554393
queerty.com/new-star-trek-discovery-tv-show-will-feature-gay-character-20160811
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's with the burqa though ?

>JJ Abrams r resurrected Star Trek only for it to be killed like this

>An audience member asked the duo whether there’d be a Muslim crewmember aboard the titular ship, USS Discovery NCC-1031, in light of Star Trek’s previous commitment to humanizing geopolitical or ideological outsiders, such as with Pavel Andreievich Chekov, who appeared on Star Trek during the height of America’s Cold War with Russia.
>Beyer and Meyer looked at each other. There was a long silence and moderator Jordan Hoffman tried to provide them with an out, should they not want to answer. Meyer said she was just thinking of the most judicious way to answer (a paraphrase, I didn’t catch her exact response).
>It looked for all the world like two people caught dead to rights, trapped into finding an evasion from a simple reveal: Star Trek: Discovery will have a Muslim crewmember in its cast.
idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-discovery-cast-likely-include-presumably-atheist-muslim-crewmember-554393

i thought this was set before kirk and in tos the klingons were the enemies someone set me straight ive not watched all of the star treks and im not up on the news

Christ on a fucking crutch.

New “Star Trek: Discovery” TV Show Will Feature Gay Character
>Some outstanding news from the final frontier: The new Star Trek, Discovery, will have a gay character. Well, it’s about darn time.
>The news came out at a meeting of the Television Critics Association this week, and was breathlessly tweeted by reporters in attendance. Executive Producer Bryan Fuller, who is gay, told everyone in attendance that they’ll be revealing little bits of info as they go, with a more detailed release scheduled for October.
>So to summarize, they’ve announced there will be a female lead, a lot of aliens, and that there will be a gay character. How gay? How prominent? That we don’t know.
queerty.com/new-star-trek-discovery-tv-show-will-feature-gay-character-20160811

>>JJ Abrams r resurrected Star Trek
kek

Bajorans aren't allowed to wear their earings on the ship. Burqas sure as shit wouldn't fly. Even more so considering that there are no more Earth based religions.

> muslim crew member
That's it, dropped as shit.
> in light of Star Trek’s previous commitment to humanizing geopolitical or ideological outsiders
Fuck this shit, don't pretend Star Trek has a history of shoving religion down people's throat.

He took a franchise on its death bed, and made a new generation care about it.

Well there was this abomination called DS9.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I don't even like Star trek but that is the most retarded thing I've read in a long fucking time. Wasn't the whole point of Star Trek's apoliticism and "progressivism" that they were a culture BEYOND religion that had no divisiveness?

Doesn't the existence of religions in Star Trek run entirely counter to all established information about humanity being united and all that good shit?

Star Trek fags please enlighten me.

>Klingon Captain

Wasn't Worf the first full-blooded klingon in Starfleet? If this takes place 80+ years before TNG how is it possible for there to be a Klingon Starfleet captain? That makes no sense, and has nothing to do with progressivism real or imaginary.

So what you're saying is that this show will trigger more Sup Forumstards than most others could ever dream of?

Count me in, I love a good laugh, especially at butthurt wittle nazis, sorry, alt-righters.

I REALLY hope the Islam is AKOOCHIMOYA level of stupid stereotype shit and that Islamos get super pissed.

>trigger
>Sup Forumstards
>butthurt
>nazis
>alt-righters

When's the last conversation you had that involved verbal communication?

They are going about being progressive in all the wrong ways

sorry kitten, aint mean to trigger you

>Star Trek: Discovery will have a Muslim crewmember in its cast.

There are no christian Star Trek characters. Humanity seems to have moved on from religion other than some episode specific beliefs or a generic "god" of no particular denomination.

But now, in TWENTY SEVENTEEN, they're going to write in a religious character.

That is so fucking ass backwards it's not even funny. It's not progressive at all, it's regressive. It's pandering to the very schismatic medieval thinking Roddenberry was saying we'd all leave behind when we visited the stars.

Not to mention the pointed fact that the only religion to be active in the Star Trek canon then will be muslims. I honestly don't know if it's a laugh or cry moment.

this please

>Faling for such poor bait

A fucking Klingon? Ten years before Kirk, and we've got a Klingon starfleet captain. God fucking dammit

Picard celebrated Christmas in the Nexus

>Well there was this abomination called DS9.

Dealt with alien religions, and so do a lot of of the other shows episodes too.

More to the point it showed religion to be divisive and backwards, and ultimately the religion in DS9 wasn't supernatural in origin at all, just more otherdimensional superbeings.

In fact Trek has consistently had characters insist on being gods or have god like powers and showed their failings or deception.

Why would God need a starship?

Yeah this is all fucked up. The whole thing with trek was that humanity had evolved passed all that petty shit. The fact that they are trying soo hard to make this "progressive" is counter intuitive to what trek really is. Its not about shoving gays and Muslims in the spot light its about not giving a shit about race sex or religion

>Klingon before Worf
>Muslim when religion is dead
>Gay when all mental illness is cured

Wew canon is utterly fucked.

They're explain it in the show you fucking baby. The USS Discovery is a unique exploration vessel. Isn't it Klingon made? This is kinda separate from Starfleet. Be happy we're getting an ALIEN captain. Fuck.

Please do not call others "f*cking babies"

Agree with this one, we want civil discussions here bud. Sup Forums isn't for Trump voters like yourself anymore

>Retarded language
>Doesn't understand the Klingon-Federation geopolitical situation of the time
>Doesn't understand the design chouces for each faction
>Doesn't understand what United Space Ship means

You are one plebbit dumb fuck.

>Picard celebrated Christmas in the Nexus

Not exactly doing the "lord and savior" bit. Given that the date, tree and gift giving ceremonies aren't christian at all but just adopted pagan rituals it's as much evidence of belief for Picard being an Odin worshipper.

I get that you're being a pedantic twat because this is Sup Forums, but you have to understand the meaning of my post. There's no christian character representative, there's no discussion asserting the truth of the YHVH god or divinity of Jesus in the show.

You have vestigial cultural remnants like the xmas tree or wedding ceremonies but they aren't there representing a christian belief, they're presented as cultural shorthand or just traditional baggage. No importance is placed on any religious connection.

By emphasizing the muslim character you can bet your fucking ass it will be absolutely retarded. I wouldn't put it past them to have that one asshole be a veiled woman when everyone else is in uniform. Or to make reference to Allah now and again.
Because they're just THAT fucking pandering and stupid.

Even the nonsense religion of the Klingons was dissected and shown to be bullshit in TNG. Remember the whole business with making a Kahless clone because they couldn't wait for his return?

>People who loved that action shitfest now love the Science Fiction series that preceeded it
Wow, I guess that is why there's such a noticable increase increase in the number of Star Trek fans these days, and why all of a sudden old school science fiction is cared about and popular instead of more cookie cutter laser pistol bullshit being made left and right, where the two "deepest and smartest" sci-fi movies of the past few years couldn't come up with anything more interesting to top themselves off than the fucking plot twist of the Terminator.

Maybe they don't want to have to deal with the fallout from christian viewers who might overreact.

or maybe they know most of their viewers are secular humanists with strong christian overtones to their values. Maybe its not in their best interest to pander to a tiny minority of christian viewers who might get upset at seeing a muslim crewmember, even if it is cloaked in a cultural allegory the show is famous for.

>implying generations isnt a christmas movie

But user!
>Stronk women that need no man on the lead, Captain and First officer no less.
>Flamboyant gay character, that will explore gay issues in space.
>Muslim crew.

It doesn`t get more progressive than that!

After all, Bjorans were the closest thing they had to fundamentalist christians, and they treated that situation fairly tactfully.

Maybe it wasn't to your liking, but they didn't go out of their way to offend anybody.

I mean, if they could get away with portraying Klingons as Negros, they can probably get away with anything at this point.

I'd be more comfortable if they cast a female lead who had some actual grit, like sarah conner in T2. Janeway was a disaster.

When Sisko got up on his heels, he was a lion, when Picard got in your face, he was a poet.

And when kirk got crazy, it was like an autistic sperg yelling about ice cream.

>Set a decade before TOS
>Klingon Starfleet captain
>Starfleet officer taking orders from a non-Starfleet klingon captain

To be fair the "Journey that's going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy" part would have been pretty awful garbage had it not been set so early. Since they haven't got replicators and shit there's still more tension than in TNG times. Presumably the primitive technology is why there can be a gay character since he can't be cured (Heyoooooooooooo) too. Klingon captain is the only 100% out of place part.

That's also assuming that the other elements are handled well and aren't just pandering. Which they will be. But I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt because there hasn't been a good Trek since DS9 and I want one.

Your right.
That does sound terrible.
This is what happens when you run out of clever jewish screenwriters and go shopping at the bargain bin at "Honkeys 'r Us"

>Honkeys 'r Us
>Ron Moore, Brannon Braga, Bryan Fuller, Rene Echevarria