Why is electronic music not considered real music just because it uses electronic instruments?

Why is electronic music not considered real music just because it uses electronic instruments?
youtube.com/watch?v=pwc9xaPOWoQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vj1sZDsWIzE
youtube.com/watch?v=1HKyXRnA2Y4&t=1035s
youtube.com/watch?v=jb7cTUwPG-A&t=1045s
youtu.be/f7RqusSKiQE
youtube.com/watch?v=bGfiYA_Bgxo
youtu.be/rUxM7KrUTOA
youtube.com/watch?v=7-cvlWtc9Q8
youtube.com/watch?v=e0Y7xk-4GpI
youtu.be/ODgcavYrGPA
youtube.com/watch?v=GMqQVKcC2K4
youtube.com/watch?v=X1QyDClOX4A
youtube.com/watch?v=KAo4svd7IR4
youtube.com/watch?v=I272bQdrTuA&t=1190s
youtube.com/watch?v=vnunqzRco-s
youtube.com/watch?v=K603pol6qvI
youtube.com/watch?v=1R9_MBfq5RM
youtube.com/watch?v=QZi5Y7KgzsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XKZ27HW8Q0k
youtube.com/watch?v=7vPKdHN03CI
youtube.com/watch?v=wisI4tBArSw
youtube.com/watch?v=RclyY86bPig
youtube.com/watch?v=MgaETQh4uXg
youtube.com/watch?v=pthU2RLmxqE
youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA
youtube.com/watch?v=JCUPc9zVfyo
youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0mywgQsds&t=29s
youtube.com/watch?v=KpO-uD1EBdg
youtube.com/watch?v=iokfQ5Bym2Y&t=62s
youtube.com/watch?v=FH56ABYqEmE
youtube.com/watch?v=DWdNiGS1Qtw
youtube.com/watch?v=Xr4Zi_BQZeI
youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48
youtube.com/watch?v=9FBp9-Ezjco
youtube.com/watch?v=BpCJpbFNfIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because when someone asks for a good recommendation for electronic music they give them shit music. Because most people that listen to electronic music listen to shitty electronic music. Yet few people would say this is bad or not 'real' music:
youtube.com/watch?v=Vj1sZDsWIzE

You also have to remember most people have maybe 10 or 12 favorite musicians and never leave that sound. So hearing anything outside of their comfort zone or recognized understanding of what music 'should' sound like makes it hard for them to consider it 'real':
youtube.com/watch?v=1HKyXRnA2Y4&t=1035s

I would suggest finding something smoother to recommend to such people. DnB while music, isnt all that serious, and it generally seen as something that druggies and dancers listen to. Not that its a bad thing to be either, but the general consensus is a negative one. Maybe try something with a bit more funk?:
youtube.com/watch?v=jb7cTUwPG-A&t=1045s

And in any case what a majority of people consider to be 'real' music 'really' shouldnt matter. Music is as public as it is personal.

who CARES, let it not be considered music. music sucks anyway

It's hard to respect something that is so easy for any asshole to create. Once you've seen how the sausage is made and played around in a DAW for 5 minutes it becomes apparent that these people aren't so much talented, as they are able to competently use their laptop.

Thank you for these. Mother Earth's Plantasia is something special.
I hate saying i'm into electronic music because the term is so vague and people generally take it to mean stuff like EDM and DnB. Even the term 'House' is pretty loaded nowadays.

wow plantasia really amazed me, thanks for your reply user

This is now a quality electronic thread.

youtu.be/f7RqusSKiQE

try showing someone electronic that is more human and beautiful and they lose that sense that it's this inorganic and utterly plastic thing that so many dadrockers make it out to be
youtube.com/watch?v=bGfiYA_Bgxo

youtu.be/rUxM7KrUTOA

>Why is electronic music not considered real music just because it uses electronic instruments?
the people that don't consider electronic music to be "real music" are out of touch and their opinions can be discarded. electronic music, in one form or another, has been around for nearly 100 years.

youtube.com/watch?v=7-cvlWtc9Q8

i enjoy both beat and melody oriented electronic music. It just depends on my mood. And, as with any genre, you have shit but also amazing tracks

classic right here

Meh, making a good electronic track takes more practice than playing any song on a piano and guitar. You have to learn mixing, sound design, rhythm, melody and harmony before you can make anything that sounds remotely decent. Otherwise it'll just go on the pile or get torn to shreds by the community.

I don't think you've ever opened up a daw in your life. Let's see what you come up with "in 5 minutes"

Its not real because nobody played it. That's the rules. No matter how bad you want them to change in your non-playing favor, they will not. Remeber, the only reason your mom is real is because somebody played her.

Playing is the key.

youtu.be/ODgcavYrGPA
Some DnB for you

t. pard

ok cool it's not real music. it's fake music. it's still cool as hell so fuck off

uh oh, he played bass live on this oh no it's reeeeeeeeaaaaaalllll

Yes, much of it is still very cool and admittedly I like a lot of it. But NOBODY played any of it.

Nobody.

haha wrong link

squarepusher playing drums and playing bass but it's electronic music someone call the police

I would rec most of Mort Garson stuff honestly, some of it is kind of preachy but he is an amazing composer and wonderful creator of music.
youtube.com/watch?v=GMqQVKcC2K4

As for other recs since people want some:
Cool noisy, and very psycedelic:
youtube.com/watch?v=X1QyDClOX4A
Beat based, slow and steady into a great high:
youtube.com/watch?v=KAo4svd7IR4
Slow climb into wonderful melody:
youtube.com/watch?v=I272bQdrTuA&t=1190s
explosive, dirty, and wonderful:
youtube.com/watch?v=vnunqzRco-s
Noise, lots of great noise, beat based:
youtube.com/watch?v=K603pol6qvI

that's funny how many times can i copy the wrong link
youtube.com/watch?v=1R9_MBfq5RM

electronic music, entirely played by a band
youtube.com/watch?v=QZi5Y7KgzsQ

Squarepusher plays instruments. His mastery of several string instruments is CRUCIAL to his overall ability as an electronic composer. If you cannot play an instrument on his level then you are incapable of understanding how this gives him such an advantage over yourself, the non-player.

>Why is electronic music not considered real music just because it uses electronic instruments?

The common perception is , and that anybody can become a DJ or producer by just torrenting Reason or Cubase and throwing together a track. The other argument that I routinely hear is that it's inorganic or soulless and that because bands have to have some mastery of their instruments before they can play, it adds this soulful element to it. The last is that it gets conflated with EDM, which has merged to become synonymous with tacky, overplayed club/festival dancepop that most "connoisseurs" do not want to be associated with. In short, it's basically a bunch of hipsters being pretentious and being dismissive of music they don't like or see as basically being uncool.

yes and he is one example of the 'no one plays instruments, it's not real music' is bullshit. just shows how little people making that claim actually know about the genre because many artists play instruments whether it's drums or bass or piano to create their 'electronic' music

Fuck, I was torn between seeing these guys with Tantrum Desire next week, but opted to see the Martinez Brothers instead because our friend is really into house and it's her birthday.

this is a work of art, my friend

>it's not real because nobody played it. That's the rules

Because its too easy for some dumbass to download a cracked version of ableton and start throwing shit together. Modern electronic is mostly hot garbage, with only a few gems here and there. Older shit though, now thats where its at.
youtube.com/watch?v=XKZ27HW8Q0k

youtube.com/watch?v=7vPKdHN03CI

the funny thing is thinking that it's an insult to say it isn't real music, like who gives a flying fuck what you wanna call it. it's all just noise anyway. her voice isn't real
youtube.com/watch?v=wisI4tBArSw

>electronic music not considered real music
>2018
What world are you living in OP? A metalhead commune?

No citation is needed: those ARE the rules. Being able to pick up an instrument and immediately improvising music is not the same thing as carefully plotting and programming it out so that a computer processor can perform the music. That's how rules work.

That first song was a whole lotta beep boop bop but that second was decent.

>so that a computer processor can perform the music
you're really showing how clueless you are about the genre, it's much more multifaceted than you think

Great taste. Recommend more please.

It's not multi-faceted at all. It just looks that way from your perspective. Actual musicians who play instruments using electronics as a tool for creation is NOT THE SAME as someone who cannot perform at a functional level on any instrument.

you see this one? insane
youtube.com/watch?v=RclyY86bPig

yes but you're not accounting for the 'electronic artists' who play drums, bass, piano etc on their albums the same way a band would but their style has some synth sounds and they get categorized as electronic though they're performing with instruments. you don't know enough artists in the genre to know that which you speak about. you're just biased and being willfully ignorant.

it is considered real music, mongoloid

youtube.com/watch?v=MgaETQh4uXg
Maybe I should have posted the live version.

do you even understand what a synthesizer fucking is?

this fucking rules. here is more electronic music live that is mindblowing
youtube.com/watch?v=pthU2RLmxqE

fuck this dogshit you people are fucking boring

Let me tell you what I am: an actual musician who creates electronic music. Fuck you that's all you need to know about me. Now let me tell you my point -- if you do not play an instrument but you create electronic music by some means using a computer then you are not a musician no matter how hard you wish you were. You are a computer programmer. But if you learn to play an instrument at a basic functional level you will improve your creative pallet in so many ways you can't count them. Play pretend musician all you want or learn to play something.

Fuck off to your kpop thread pleb.

fuck off you retarded pleb

the distinction you're making is quite literally non-existent

youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ

They invented sample machines like this specifically for you.
youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA

i'm an electronic artist too and i play keyboard, drums, electric piano, bass, moog, clarinet, flute, synthesizer and do no actual computer programming just sequence with a mac. but i still call it electronic music because that's ultimately the style. and i could not care less whether i am called a programmer. you bein silly

I don't really like this song to much still sounds like a lot safety alarms going off but I mean if you like thats good.

Dude nobody is saying people making electronic music are musicians, they're composers. And most of the good electronic artist have a good grasp on theory and instruments, that allow them to make decent music.

This will rustle some jimmies but if all you have on you SC page is some remixes or some chopped / screwed shit of some original artists work then I don't even bother listening. Rearranging somebody else's track like it's a god-fucked Quentin Tarrantino movie IS NOT creating music. I know some of you actually create your own shit AND do remixes. If I'm on a page like that I usually scroll through and listen to the original work while ignoring the remixed shit. I just don't give a fist fuck for someone who cannot even try to make their own shit. There are too many artists on here who actually do create original tracks. I would rather listen to them than to waste my time on wastes of time. I don't give a fuck what you think about it. I don't care if your hemorrhoids start bleeding or your shingles flare up or even if you get cancer from reading this. In fact for those of you this applies to I hope you get mad as fuck. I hope your shitter shatters.

i can dig that. respect for real original creations

So everyone agrees, the lines between "electronic" music and "real" music are so blurred that it's almost like they are the same thing??

youtube.com/watch?v=JCUPc9zVfyo

You're the minority. Madeon got famous off that video.
Remixing is probably the best way to pick up fans of a specific genre.

it's all a vibration, man. who gives a rat's ass. you either shake to it or you don't.

Maybe if you're talking about shitty trap music. There's plenty of electronic music that takes far more talent than you give them credit.

>You're the minority
You will never know this pain.

Ok

Chopped and mixed in a good way: (all 3 parts are great)
youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0mywgQsds&t=29s
Dark, Brooding, and thoughtful:
youtube.com/watch?v=KpO-uD1EBdg
earthey trance with good melody:
youtube.com/watch?v=iokfQ5Bym2Y&t=62s
Spacey, futuristic, and stark:
youtube.com/watch?v=FH56ABYqEmE
MUST listen classic, one of my favorites:
youtube.com/watch?v=DWdNiGS1Qtw

Maybe this
youtube.com/watch?v=Xr4Zi_BQZeI
Or this
youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48
will be more your speed

youtube.com/watch?v=9FBp9-Ezjco

>and it generally seen as something that druggies and dancers listen to
You don't know DnB.

youtube.com/watch?v=BpCJpbFNfIw

Nice rec, very funky. Im saying most people dont know DnB, it was an example to explain why maybe when OP showed people his example they still wherent that impressed. Because the general consensus is that since that kind of music is played mainly at parties and the like, its not 'real' music.

But I wont argue I have a lot to learn about DnB and music in general, there is always more to learn....

Yea i like the second one better the first one just make's me want to go see if there is any natural disaster going on.