Pavement thread

Pavement is the best band of the 90s.
Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s05NhS5yfgRQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing to discuss. They have a perfect body of work.

i have something to discuss, is this really stephen?

Fishmans is the best band of the 90s. Pavement is a close second.

Stephen Malkmus is the most attractive male musician outside of Sufjan Stevens (maybe)

>Talk Talk
>MBV
>Polvo
>Tortoise
>Pram
>Mercury Rev
>Stereolab
All much better than Pavement desu

>Talk Talk
Not really a 90's band

>MBV

1 album that was fantastic as opposed to 4~5

>Polvo

Good, but again 1 good record

>Tortoise
Eh not my post-rock cup of tea

>Pram

No.

>Mercury Rev

2 good albums, 1 OK one

>Stereolab

Eh, I'd say they were the best mainline experimental rock band of the 90's

>1 album that was fantastic
And 2 god-tier EPs

>1 good record
Cor-Crane Secret, Today's Active Lifestyles and Exploded Drawing. That's 3 good albums, plus again they released 3 pretty good EPs

pavement has its fair share of god tier EPs

To be fair I don't like Pavement at all so I'm going to prefer those other bands no matter how many good albums they released

AND THAT'S A PRETTY NICE HAIRCUT

What happened to Oasis you jerkoff

that's fair. thanks for putting me on to polvo though, im enjoying it

vocaroo.com/i/s05NhS5yfgRQ

facebook/profile.php?id=100009283030691

Pavement is far better than Oasis tbqh.

Not disagreeing with you by the way on those bands being good or bad. I actually really enjoy all of them sans Tortoise. Especially Polvo.

I guess I really don't count EPs in the same vein as full length LPs in terms of weight.

Thoughts on Shellac?

what's the point of discussing something that is already well-established as being objectively true?

Yo La Tengo and Stereolab both had more eclectic and gratifying careers. Pavement fall flat quickly and aren't much to look at beyond the second record (although they remain decent). The aformentioned bands have at least 4 killer ALBUMS and 5+ great singles. Pavement's up there though, and on point with the f'lips for the decade.

>not much to look at beyond the second record
their third album is literally their best and one of the best albums of the 90s

It's ridiculous that you're denying Pram. Pram are one of the best and most innovative bands of the decade. The only reason they're not remembered is because they were too ahead to be expanded upon. You hear The Stars Are So Big and you don't know where to go. There still nothing else like it.

MBV killed it with their EP's in the 80's, but as you point out - they're actually not 90's.

Stereolab kill it with 5 top 100 albums of the decade. I'm not even sure what you're saying there.

Also, you're argument for Pavemet sucks. They have at most 4 good records and one good EP. Stereolab have 5 and fucking 5 EP's to go with that. You also didn't even consider Yo La Tengo which is the actual answer.

t. soyboy

(not true BTW)
it's a bit ahead of it's time, but considering later records like OKC and YHF there's nothing to be found in that record. It literally has nothing to do with their discography either - it barely sounds like Pavement. Why the fuck would you like that record?

>aren't much to look beyond
>nothing to be found
why the fuck do you keep using these stupid phrases? the album has god-tier songs like grounded, at&t, we dance and rattled by the rush. you're so wrong it's funny.

wipe the drool from your jaw faggot. If all you have is more of the generic contrarian crap that is all over this site, there's no conversation to be had.

Please unironically kys you fucking weeb

except it's probably the most pavement pavement record released?

Stereolab were way better than Pavement. Jesus Christ. Pavement were good, but Stereolab is honestly up there top 5 bands of the 90s and they got experimental too.

pavement is literally just a pale imitation of the fall, there's nothing unique or inventive about an album like crooked rain
they had some pretty good songs but ultimately they're not that good of a band, i'd love to know why they get praised so much

Oh hey, it's this bait again. You only think this because Conduit For Sale sort of sounds like New Face in Hell if you squint at it.

no, i think this because pavement's entire aesthetic was cribbed from the fall

Not at all. The Fall were way more post-punk than Pavement, who took more influence from bands like R.E.M. and incorporated heavy melodic sounds into their music that the Fall didn't. Further, Mark and Steve could not be more different as vocalists. Steve is a stoned slacker spouting absurdist quips, while mark is more of a drunken philosopher politically charged working class activist type of guy.

The Fall influence is there in a guitar riff here or there, but for the most part Pavement are way more distinct from the Fall than you are claiming. Aesthetically, if you think that Pavement ripped off the Fall in either way, then you definitely don't understand either band.

Daddy Reznor is the GOAT