This is what it's suppose to look like when clairvoyant magic samurai wizard paladins in space sword-fight

This is what it's suppose to look like when clairvoyant magic samurai wizard paladins in space sword-fight.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

PT did nothing wrong.

Explain PTSD then

>Maul had the higher ground
>Still lost
I guess sith lords don't get taught that?

OT Jedi=Samurai
PT Jedi= HK Wuxia Warriors

Holy shit, it looks so fucking terrible. There's no weight to anything. It feels incredibly choreographed.

How in the fuck did we go from Luke beating Vader down with raw strength to that crap? I'd expect Maul to at least show anger and agressiveness in his fighting style, but he's like a circus performer.

Obi-wan's stupid pose is the only bad thing about it. Totally out of place after his mentor just got stabbed.

>tfw I enjoyed more of the Original Trilogy's philosophical fights over prequel's flashy fights

TFA's saber duel felt fucking meh.

Ben used the POV technique to make himself have the higher ground... in HIS pov.

What saber duels? They hit each other as if neither of them had ever touched a melee weapon in their lives.

>OT

Jedi are Samurai and a single blow can end a fight. Also using Lightsabers against people with blasters is fucking retarded and a great way to get yourself shot.

>PT

JEDI ARE ANIME CHARACTERS THAT CAN DEFEAT ENTIRE ARMIES WITH LASER SWORDS AND THE FLIP AROUND AND ARE SO COOL XD

>TFA's saber duel felt fucking meh
I actually thought it was a nice balance between the both styles, well Kylo's style anyway. Just a shame he was fighting scrubs.

It was much better than any duel from the prequels. It felt small in scope, had weight to every blow and made the sabers look like the heavy menacing weapons they used to be, instead of the all powerful light glowsticks from the prequels. Also it didn't have any flipping around.

Your a mongoloid. Every inch of lore has dictates that Jedi are suppose to prefer the lightsaber over all other weaponry.

Better than TFA.

FPBP - as always.

>There's no weight to anything
Please tell us how heavy a light saber beam is.

>Also using Lightsabers against people with blasters is fucking retarded and a great way to get yourself shot.

But we see Luke do it and it works out just fine

>had weight to every blow and made the sabers look like the heavy menacing weapons they used to be

Why do they have weight again? Aren't they just lasers?

So? Vader used the Force against blasters, not is saber. I don't see a problem.

looks like shit. fuck of prequelscum. duel of the fags sucks. go jerk off to your darth maul figures

This. Do you cunts not realize that it's suppose to feel weightless? The only thing that weighs anything is the fucking hilt.

There's also no sound in space and the force isn't real. Realism is not the point. The point is good filmmaking.

He gets shot right at the start of ROTJ for using a saber against people with blasters.

Why does he jump over him after he breaks his sword? He could hurts his legs but he goes directly to his guard instead.

Well the movie was marketed towards people who grew up watching Star Wars with their parents but craved more light saber battles. So they tossed in some dude who flips around and has a saber staff.

>TFA-apologists arrive

Except Luke used it for that in Episode VI multiple times. And in Episode IV we see him learning to block blasters shots with it too.

No. They're not just lasers. That's explained in the first SW movie. You know, that scene where we see a fucking lightsaber for the first time and Ben explain to Luke and to the audience, what it is?

No one gives a shit about what it's supposed to do. It makes the sabers look pathetic. One of the good things TFA did was making the lightsabers sound and look menacing.

>paranoid prequelbabies start crying
no one mentioned tfa. your movie sucks regardless of tfa

>It feels incredibly choreographed.

Did you not read OP's post or pay attention to the movies or the lore, or ANYTHING?

These people are fucking clairvoyant. They can see the future.

Of course it's going to look choreographed, because they already know what's going to happen.

>He gets shot right at the start of ROTJ for using a saber against people with blasters.

He gets hit in the hand because he's not experienced.

>There's also no sound in space and the force isn't real. Realism is not the point. The point is good filmmaking.

Let me guess, you're in your 30s?

>cuts double lightsaber in half
>both halves still function perfectly fine

that makes zero sense

In what fucking reality? TFA made lightsabers look like heavy, useless metal bars that'd barely leave a bruise.

In PT they fucking opened blast doors with them.

>That's explained in the first SW movie.

Really? When? Because this is all Obi-Wan says about it

>"Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster."

Two crystals. One for each side.

It only stops making sense if there was one crystal.

see
It saved his life, but it's not something that should be the de facto go to when dealing with blasters.

That's the main problem of the PT: making small things from the OT into standards that everyone uses. Jedi robes, blocking blaster bolts, flipping around, etc.

>super-heated plasma being forced into a loop by magic space technology is completely weightless

l always assumed they were at lest as heavy as an actual sword

Luke blocks laser shots in the Original Trilogy and it was mentioned long before the prequels, the only reason he's not doing it 24/7 is because he was still under trained. Once he becomes a master in return of the jedi he's blocking shots and force kicking jabba's entire crew.

>It saved his life, but it's not something that should be the de facto go to when dealing with blasters.

Yes, he got hit in the hand because he was inexperienced. He had a few months of training under his belt tops, of course he wasn't going to be perfect at it. The prequel Jedi had been training their entire lives. And he was clearly using it as his go to, if he wasn't he would have grabbed a gun from one of the dozen guys he sliced up and started using it.

>Jedi robes, blocking blaster bolts, flipping around, etc.

These are all things that we see Luke do in his training and in combat, it makes sense that they're the type of things that Jedi did in their glory days.

>being this new
Kenobi had the high ground from his point of view.

>This is what it's suppose to look like when clairvoyant magic samurai wizard paladins in space sword-fight.

I don't understand why the saber battles of the PT get shit on. They were the best point. These are clairvoyant, force enhanced beings wielding sabers that are weightless besides the hilt. Their battles should be intricate.

TFA's battle was appropriate since Rey thought the force was a fairy tale two hours earlier and Kylo was a bitch.

>Once he becomes a master in return of the jedi he's blocking shots and force kicking jabba's entire crew.

He's not really a master in return of the jedi. Hell, according to yoda he's not even a jedi knight until the end.

>weightless light beam
>blockin and deflecting plasma bolts

Pick one.

why didn't it look like that in the OT then?

all this would mean is that they are effective at dodging each other's attacks, not that they transform into sirk the solay

>when clairvoyant magic samurai wizard paladins in space sword-fight

Hm, that's really chunky, better change it to "when doves cry"

Because Vader is a clunky barely-pieced-together cyborg, Obi-Wan is an old man, and Luke is an inexperienced kid.

he's still using the force to trick people and blocking laser shots with his lightsaber and jumping around in the air, rather than relying on his blaster.

>sirk the solay

kek

>Their battles should be intricate.

but the battles aren't even very intricate, or very well choreographed, they don't even look like they're trying to hit each other at all, obi wan could have stabbed maul in the back of the face like 5 times in this one scene alone

the fights simply aren't convincing, they could've been quick and brutal, visceral and exciting, we just got people dancing around with glowing sticks

It made sense to be honest, Jedi turned swordfighting more into art than something practical, Geroge went for the asian martial arts style for them

I'm probably the most experienced fencer and martial artist here not that wasting my lifes anything to boast about and I think that's the best fight in the series. At the very least tied with the Bespin Duel.

There's so many shit fights in the prequels and you chose easily the best one.

By all means post a video showing how it's all stage combat and not REAL swordfighting but you're wasting your time it's all nonsense stage combat the only one with any semblance to real martial arts is the Bespin duel (because Vader brings his point online with every strike before remembering to safely disengage for the cameras) and this one (right after the gates open) just for the balls to the wall intensity.

This scene is one of the best swordfights in cinema for emotional intensity and sheer merciless intent. There's a real show of skill onscreen there and gymnastic ability too.

Seriously if you don't like this fight I really doubt Star Wars is for you at all.

>sirk the solay
Is this some kind of extended universe character I'm not aware of?

because it was fucking garbage, it was like if in Rocky he never boxed before and didn't do any training whatsoever but still went the distance with Apollo. Fucking beyond lazy and retarded writing.

OT is deprecated grandpa

>I am a virgin and watch childrens flicks

ok then
thanks so much for sharing with all the other children

The swordfights were the only good parts of the PT. The only people who hate them are foamy-mouthed spastics that have got such a rage boner for the PT that they've made it some sort of issue of honor to hate every last single thing about them. It's retarded.

>oh my god why don't people like my DEEP and KINO films about french businessmen cheating on their wives and then killing themselves and a dove flies out the bullethole
I always think it's interesting how normal people never post in those threads yet you folks feel the need to post in ours.

By whom?

even if each side is individually powered it seems extremely unlikely that you could cut the center assembly in half and have it still work fine

>You know, that scene where we see a fucking lightsaber for the first time and Ben explain to Luke and to the audience, what it is?

He actually never does that. He just says that it's a lightsaber, and that it's "the weapon of a Jedi Knight". And that's it. No other explanation about what it is or how it works.

I honestly don't mind the needlessly dynamic swordplay. If you were supernaturally gifted enough to pull it off you might as well amuse yourself.

What I do mind is the points where due to only being able to go on so long before the choreography trips over itself and someone's too close or left themselves open or just doesn't know what to do next there's a lot of "filler" motions, if you will, where attacks appear to literally be going into a block. Not even to pin the opponent, just to sort of clash for the sake of it.

Even if you say the defender put their weapon there in advance it still makes no damn sense because if both could see into the future why would either waste the energy going into the movement instead of just backing off knowing it fails to achieve much they couldn't have done clean with a better opening.

I can't believe I'm saying this since then and now it would likely stroke Disney and Lucas' CGI scene clutter boner, but really what should happen between Force users of any skill is more force obstacles like how Vader, the guy Kylo wants to supposedly be so much like, occupied Luke with the objects flying towards him while waiting for an opening. Of course it wouldn't make for as showy a fight if someone's just sweeping at objects, running or curling into a corner but it's less annoying between moments of blade ballet than the alternative of actively fucking yourself by keeping in range.

For example if Kylo, who showed the capacity to hold a blaster shot indefinitely in stasis, spent more time breaking branches over head and less flailing around with an injury Finn and Rey, the latter of which only at best managed to ride off the momentum of Kylo's force pull to Luke's saber for her feat in telekinesis, would have been too overwhelmed to even see him coming.

Instead he keeps throwing his wounded and winded self into their range.

It makes no sense for choreography, character, and just in general.

Doesn't one half immediately go dark? Makes sense to me.

Nah, I don'tc are about SW (only saw the movies once) and I thought the PT fights were overly flashy and they clearly didn't try to hit each other when they could have. The choregraphy was bad.

We see him fighting with just one half of it on (when he attacks Qui-Gon earlier in the movie), so obviously they work independently of one another.

>fight choreographed so that no one is trying to hit the opponent's body; they're just hitting each other's sticks
>actors pause and deliberately avoid attacking park because there's no way he could withstand two people attacking him at once
>park jumping around like a retard
>mcgregor can't stop spinning his stick like a retard

there is nothing emotional about phantom menace, least of all its shitty swordfight. and there is nothing merciless about hitting each other's sticks like children playing in the front yard

it's a meme duel

Luke beating Vader down with raw strength is one of the worst fights in the series. The scene is great. The music is fantastic but if you want to talk about choreography you can fuck right off if you think that's better than OPs scene.

Luke's endless right foot forward shuffling and baseball bat swings from one predictable side to the next. It's some of the worst choreography in the series. Down there with Mace Windu vs Sheev.

Nah basic physics mate. When we see Vaders lightsaber thrown in ROTJ it pivots from point of balance around the blade not the hilt. Now this is because it was a full stick prop but it visibly proves the blade has presence and isn't weightless.

They weren't perfect and I personally would have preffered they divebombed each other then disengaged instead of just going a thousand miles an hour the whole time, but they were still infinitely superior on average than the OT's lightsaber fights.

Is pretending that the desert adventures of C3P0 and R2D2 the biggest fedora in film opinions?

I bet you guys will watch rogue one too lmao

>obi wan could have stabbed maul in the back of the face like 5 times in this one scene alone

Could he have? Against a clairvoyant? Or would he just open himself up to his own death?

These are movies and the battles aren't real (duh). So I'm sure we could pick them apart frame by frame. But the PT fights FELT like something more sophisticated. Like if you go into it thinking "dude, he's leaving himself open here I'm gonna stab him" you're just going to get your hand chopped off.

After which a black man will tell you he is your father.

That's a good point. Most fighting arts have flawed guards on purpose, so you can know where the attack is going to come from. Being open=/=being vulnerable.

I don't understand how people could still have so much enthusiasm for these movies when there hasn't been a good one since Return of the Jedi.

The prequels were so bad that I could tell, as a kid, it was just a CGI showcase and nothing more.

The most recent one seemed so silly with a black storm trooper that acted straight out of New York instead of someone that has been raised in an authoritarian environment. Adam Driver also isn't a good villain - he has no villainous presence. The director probably knew this given that scene with him emo-raging out on a terminal and having 2 troopers look at each other in amusement.

Is it just nostalgia and franchise name recognition that people crave?

why is star wars popular wow

So lore of actual jedi abilities. They can see the future and all of their dodging and spinning is a result of what they see happening.

>fight choreographed so that no one is trying to hit the opponent's body; they're just hitting each other's sticks
You mean like all stage combat?!

You're wrong though. As you're great experience will let you no doubt clearly see. Obi Wan is physically absolutely dominating Maul with his footwork and keeping up the pressure HOWEVER Maul is aggressively defending the whole time and as far as bladework goes he's attacking Obi Wan from the start striking at his body repeatedly. Which Obi Wan blocks in time.

So Obi Wan rarely strikes at Maul directly here, which is where you may be led astray to think they're striking at eachother blades without intent (there's plenty of that in the series for sure but not here) but Maul is the one doing the striking. Even though he's on the back foot.

Essentially Obi Wan aggressively defends until Maul makes a mistake then takes it and floors Maul but he doesn't capitalise on it in time and Maul gets back on his. Feet.

The spinning is really on the downlow in this fight. The only time he does it questionably is when he spins around with a disengagement which comes across just as panicked bad form rather than intentionally spinning like they constantly do in the Anakin/Obi Wan duel.

Luke doesn't wear robes in action scenes. In fact, the moment the action starts, he takes his robes off, and is wearing an outift made for combat underneath.

The jedi in the prequels look like grandmas. Even the fucking cartoon knew it was stupid to have them in robes in the battlefields, so they gave them armor.

IF YOU LIKE THE PREQUELS SAVER FIGHTS, PERHAPS NARUTO OR ANY ONE OF 1000S OF DIFFERENT ANIMES WOULD BE MORE UP YOUR ALLEY. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, BUT PLEASE KEEP YOUR RETARDED ANIME FIGHTS OUT OF WHAT IS ESSENTIALLY LORD OF THE RINGS IN SPACE. THIS HAS BEEN A FRIENDLY REMINDER FROM YOUR LOCAL KINO WATCHER, THANK YOU AND GOODBYE.

>Even if you say the defender put their weapon there in advance it still makes no damn sense because if both could see into the future why would either waste the energy going into the movement instead of just backing off knowing it fails to achieve much

tfw a Star Wars lightsaber battle would really consist of two guys facing each other acting like they are going to swing their sabers. They would stop at the start of every swing, go back to their stance, then then try and stop again...over and over and over. You would never even hear the blades clash.

>no
>eh
>that won't work
>let's try
>shit
>i have you now!
>or not
>hmmm
>this is really more complicated then yoda said it would be
>...3 hours and not even one blade strike...
>fuck it, wanna go get coffee or something?

Replace Driver with James Franco, and you have a better villain/character. I don't really care about Franco that much, but the part seemed made for him. It's like they cast Driver because he was the cheaper non-union mexican version of Franco.

Black trooper was fine in some scenes, but it felt like a mash up of two characters (the trooper from birth and the playful rogue). A few scenes could have fixed that though. Making the process more gradual and having to do with his interacton with Rey and Poe (or Han), maybe?

Because it had three good movies in the 80's, one of which is one of the greatest films in cinema history, and then it had three shit movies that people love to complain about all the time.

>The most recent one seemed so silly with a black storm trooper that acted straight out of New York instead of someone that has been raised in an authoritarian environment.
It's really a shame, like with Han I didn't mind Finn's scenes of levity but unlike Han I did mind how they wrote up that material knowing it would clash with the scenes for pathos.

This is a guy who was kidnapped and held hostage so long he can't recall his name, family or life outside anything the First Order has allowed. He shouldn't have a quip or giggle in him.
If he was taken as an adult and brainwashed that would be another story, but that would be a story without the opportunity for a lengthy tearjerker backstory.

They should have cut their losses.

youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

you can shit on the phantom menace as much as you want but the OST is amazing and only a fool would say otherwise

no
its because of toy models, actors wearing robot suits, and glow swords.

The fights should be like the ones in samurai movies. Either they end in a single blow, or they go on for a few minutes, but with mostly clashes and dialog to fill the time, instead of choreographed shit. The PT looks like a videogame.

>thumbnail is them pointing out that the actor playing Maul didn't ACTUALLY kick the actor playing the other guy in the face
Is this video going to be as stupid as it looks?

If you need "muh lore" to justify how shit and overly choreographed your action scenes are, then you are a shit filmmaker and your movie is bad.

Dayum... I didn't remember it being this awesome. Goes to show Ep 1 is the least bad of the PT and the only enjoyable one.

I inb4ed you you fucking cunt!
That video is cringeworthy trash. Lightsaber fighting is not real sword fighting and is stage combat throughout. There is nothing in that video that doesn't also apply the original series often like in ROTJ worse.

That guy doesnt know shit. Instead of giving him views lets just watch the .webm notice the times that Maul lightsaber obscure part of Obi Wans body from the camera. Say at his legs or near his head. These are intentional strikes to his body.

CORN ON
THE COB
CORN ON
THE KABOB

do do do do do
DO DO DO DO DO

>What is cinematography? Let's just have two circus perfomers flipping around in terrible wide shots with flat lighting.

It's worse but if you know jackshit about martial arts let alone stage combat you'll love it.

epic post my dude :--)

nicely done :-------)

lol this

They made the black guy shuck and jive almost the entire movie, motherfucker was the most emotionally balanced individual of the entire film.

It wouldn't have mattered if they added in scenes later that showed how affected he was by the storm trooper programming. This is because the very first scene we see him defecting he's already telling jokes and looking chipper.

There's a definitely a way to weaver humor into a serious story, like in Edge of Tommorow. But in TFA it felt like the movie was the worst of both worlds - not funny enough to warrant killing the seriousness of scenes, and not enough good story telling or scene development to make serious scenes impactful.

Obi Wan is still the most badass jedi of them all.
All of his lore rules.

Masterpiece
Garbage
If you think otherwise you're probably a 13 year old who has no idea what makes something emotionally compelling

naw ty bb

>thinking there's anything to star wars outside of the original 3 movies, let alone seriously discussing it
Disgusting.

Thanks for telling me you have no taste