youtube.com/watch?v=vaseIZHD1jA
youtube.com/watch?v=KKisxbyZ9Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=l8DRI-D7-WQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Vxgd2_VfJdw
mtv.com/news/20629/oasis-singer-arrested-for-head-butting-fan/
youtube.com/watch?v=b_vv74Ze9rk
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/64844.stm
youtube.com/watch?v=oRbscuYG2-Q
aparchive.com/metadata/AUSTRALIA-OASIS-SINGER-LIAM-GALLAGHER-CHARGED-WITH-ASSAULT/6d8d0c060eee42f574f0cbf1d67e1a3c
youtube.com/watch?v=GaphSqAr0xo
youtube.com/watch?v=nuAOcuLJR7I
theguardian.com/uk/2000/may/24/sarahhall
youtube.com/watch?v=NKNcmXMTKbo
setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2000/werchterpark-werchter-belgium-73d476d9.html
setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2000/festivalpladsen-roskilde-denmark-7bc24eb8.html
youtube.com/watch?v=1FwV-jHNk1I
youtube.com/watch?v=zHcJvwSHkt8
youtube.com/watch?v=WaR_RJiBk3M
youtube.com/watch?v=aoFQUiuoDM8
theguardian.com/uk/2000/jul/28/fiachragibbons
youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZrgleyX0g
youtube.com/watch?v=SQSPFEM3HaE
rockdirt.com/liam-gallagher-calls-black-met-bar-security-monkeys/1806/
rockdirt.com/liam-gallagher-is-just-a-big-wimp-says-sacked-drummer/4575/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

More like bands that had one hit song

Definitely Maybe is far better than Be Here Now.
Objectively wrong. From 1994 to 1997, Oasis were The Beatles tier popular in the UK and numerous songs of theirs did very well on the US Alternative chart.

>numerous songs of theirs did very well on the US Alternative chart.
Nobody cares about alternative. How many of their songs got any airplay on like mainstream top 40 stations?

Two?
Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova
t. old enough to remember the '90s

More than that. Don't Look Back in Anger and Live Forever was as well.

And that other single from their followup album after "Morning Glory" that was a minor hit for a minute.

According to this music mag, Supersonic too.

WW and Champagne were obviously the biggest smash hits though.

What was the video with all the fucking helicopter/post-apocapalyptic shit? That was on MTV like every hour in the summer of '97 it seemed like.

d'you know what i mean

Television desu

Gorillaz
>Pic Related

>be here now

uhhh what

I mean Be here now is a banger but its no Morning Glory, Masterplan, or Definitely Maybe.

Adventure is severely underrated. Marquee Moon is by far their best, but Adventure is very good.

You know it's true.

But that's not Plastic Beach, user.
>fuck older millenials desu, you guys are the worst

>montie is STILL using banger as a descriptor
kys

who's montie

>How many of their songs got any airplay on like mainstream top 40 stations?
What are you, 17?

You couldn't go anywhere in the 90s without hearing Oasis on the radio

I should note I still fucking here Oasis playing at gas stations and shit. I heard "Go Let It Out" at a gas station in fucking West Virginia last year and that wasn't even that big of a song.

Notorious tripfag and (((classical liberal)))

nice bait desu

What? I love Oasis, but I never hear them back home outside of Wonderwall and such. Maybe it was the guy working there had his ipod plugged in? I moved to London last year and was hype when I heard Oasis playing in the distance as I took an airport taxi.

they don't even have one good song

>Maybe it was the guy working there had his ipod plugged in?
No it was a Sheetz, they don't allow that shit

They were playing Go Let it Out

I remember at least 4 Oasis songs got constant play on American radio in the 90s

>that wasn't even that big of a song.
Wasn't that big but it was like a Top 20 hit on alternative radio in 2000. So decent.

>I remember at least 4 Oasis songs got constant play on American radio in the 90s
Sort of. Depends on which radio format you're talking about. On Top 40, WW and CS were the huge ones. Don't Look Back in Anger and Don't Go Away were moderate hits as well, though not of quite the same stature as the first two. Supersonic (to my surprise) definitely got some airplay as indicated by as I know Live Forever did as well, though neither got high enough to reach the Top 40 of the mainstream pop airplay charts (LF was like #33 on total airplay across all formats but was like #41 on top 40 airplay, so it never made it onto a chart).

On modern rock stations, you pretty much had all the aforementioned songs as big hits. Plus you had D'You Know What I mean as a big hit there as well. And additionally moderate hits like Acquiesce and All Around the World in 1998, Morning Glory and Rock n Roll Star in 1995, and that those old Oasis songs from their early days that got reworked into Chemical Brothers collaborations with Noel Gallagher on vocals from 1996 and 1999.

incubus

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is 10/10
everything else is physically painful to listen to

Here's one last little tidbit of wisdom regarding Oasis on the radio from this old-timer.

Anyway, back in the summer of 1996, like June - August/September, it was peak Oasis mania. Champagne Supernova was the huge hit at the time and actually got more spins on radio that year than Wonderwall did (not sure if just on Top 40 formats or on all radio stations combined, the latter would be explained by Wonderwall having already been a huge hit on alternative radio in 1995, but continued on for a bit in 1996 before it graduated to the mainstream stations). But yeah, Oasis fever. Wonderwall had been a huge hit on all rock formats, Top 40/pop, Adult Contemporary, and Hot AC and Adult Alternative (new formats at the time) that was now recurrent (meaning too old to be officially counted on the charts, but still getting a lot of plays on the radio). Champagne Supernova had been another huge smash on alternative rock and then followed in Wonderwall's exact footsteps. And then Don't Look Back in Anger was the new single, and there was even a physical single being sent to stores (which was a rarity in Oasis' case - Wonderwall had one that came out months too late and Live Forever had a cancelled single release. Their label just hated physical releases I guess). But it was nuts. You turn on the Top 40 stations, you hear those three songs. You turn on the rock stations, you hear those three songs. MTV played the videos way more than the radio did the singles. And there was this documentary too that aired about their big concert they had had in England where like millions of people tried to go all just as tickets for the next part of their American tour (now in arenas) were being announced. And they were announced to be part of the VMAs AND MTV Unplugged both in the same week. They were on the cover of Rolling Stone too.

And my local alt station was running their DM-era hits and current album cuts and B-sides as well.

And it only took Oasis 6 weeks to fuck it all up after that.

>And it only took Oasis 6 weeks to fuck it all up after that.
Not an Oasis stan, how'd they'd fuck it all up?

>Champagne Supernova was the huge hit at the time and actually got more spins on radio that year than Wonderwall did
Yeah this is definitely true. I was 7 at the time but I definitely remember hearing Champagne Supernova more than Wonderwall

Yeah. And the weird thing was that the song is 7 minutes long itself and the radio edit is still a tad over 5 minutes. That shit would never fly today.

Yeah, but as popular as Wonderwall was (and still is today astonishingly), somehow CS was bigger on the airwaves (though the Wonderwall video was probably played a bit more on MTV). Maybe people just wanted to cash in as much as possible on all the Oasis hype and just push it as far as it would go.

>Part 1
Basically, in the span of two years in England, they went from dead broke soccer hooligans whose unknown band got signed to a cult indie label to sudden rock stardom to total cultural and music industry domination. So fame, hard drugs, money, women mix with a bunch of inbred, school dropout English guys in their early 20s and it all goes to their heads. They get a reputation for fighting random people, assaulting fans, doing drugs openly, fucking with reporters, fucking groupies at will, attacking random bands in the press, etc. etc. Bad boys.

That brings us to America

Seriously this. Wtf happened to these dudes?

>Part 2
Oasis in America pretty much goes like this:
They're a cult band who happen to score a nice little alternative rock hit with Supersonic. And because of the state of the American music industry where everyone was trying to find the next Nirvana and alternative rock was the in thing like Beck and Radiohead and The Flaming Lips were getting played on Top 40 stations as a result of the post-Kurt Cobain death, grunge/alt explosion, the time was just right for Oasis to exist.

Basically, after year and years of Brit bands not being able to penetrate the US market, things are now a bit more open. Problem is, their American record label is literally scared of the band members, doesn't know how to market/promote them, can't understand their accents. It's a shitshow.

But Oasis, being Oasis, make things worse by being fucking retards. Right on the back of Supersonic, they play one of the first American shows in Los Angeles in front of a bunch of music reps and George Harrison. The only problem is the band is all high on meth. The show is a disaster, they essentially break up for a few days but get back together.

However, now they have a reputation. Despite that, in early 1995 Live Forever becomes a big hit on rock radio and MTV and a little bit in the mainstream which sets the stage for their next album to come out that fall...

This is the album of pop hits that their label has been waiting for. So it comes out, Wonderwall is huge on rock stations and crosses over to Top 40 in early 1996, CS same deal.

But literally right in early 1996 as Oasis are just becoming big, they decide not to play in America i in the Spring and spend all that time fucking around and doing drugs (they're now household names and huge celebs in England, but only newcomers in America)...

This brings us to the shitstorm...

Here you go...

Essentially, Oasis skip out on America right as they're breaking out. But, they play a record setting concert in England (250,000 showed up, 4% of the population attempted to get tickets for it). Like they were unfathomably big there and had lost all sense of judgement and thought they were unstoppable. Meanwhile, they're informed by their label that they do still have to play America now.

So the week after that huge concert, they have their MTV Unplugged show (which were HUGE deals at time. See Nirvana and Eric Clapton pretty much restarting his career because of it). But the singer Liam (who by this point his voice is starting to decline because of vocal abuse/smoking/hard drug use) decides to stay up for 3 days straight drinking and doing drugs and skips out on the show, where the guitarist (his older brother) has to sing lead on everything. However, he hangs around in the audience to heckle his brother and throw things at him.

Then one week later, Oasis' arena tour starts and the band are literally upset that the venues (20,000 capacity) are smaller than their big England show. This is despite the fact that these are the biggest venues any british artist since the Cure has played. Nobody else had made it as big as them since the 80s. But it wasn't enough for these retards, so they complained to the press...

And then, right as they're getting on the plane, the singer decides he's not coming after all and suddenly leaves and barricades himself in his house for 3 days.

So that fucking happens. And that means that the guitarist brother once again has to sing lead vocals for everything for those first like 5 shows.

Finally, the brother singer shows up in America the night before their biggest concert to date (like the first concert in this new 25,000 capacity arena in philly that was being broadcast to hundreds of radio stations around America and the world too I think). And when he lands at the airport, he's clearly intoxicated and harrassing flight staff. Then when he gets out, he's mobbed by reporters (because the band and their shenanigans are big enough at this point to get nightly news coverage, even in America). And his response? He starts waving his cigarette around drunkenly, cursing out America, pushing people around, and then calls one female reporter a "fat cow cunt" before getting into his limo and riding away. So now you have another minor scandal on top of this.

J U S T

So now you have this big important broadcasted concert. And btw, in all this, the druggie bassist has suddenly quit the band and been replaced by some random dude.

And on the day of that concert, the entire band gets fucked up on drink and drugs, especially the two brothers. They end up taking the stage 45 minutes late. And as soon as they get on stage, they're completely plastered and the singer liam starts berating the audience and swearing - all live on radio. They start playing and the rhythm section is okay, but everything else is a mess. The guitarist Noel is playing wrong notes and going off on these weird jam tangents for no reason. The singer Liam (whose voice is fucked now) is missing cues, singing wrong lyrics, stopping in the middle of songs to drink beer, yelling gibberish in the middle of the songs, walking off behind the drumset to do lines of coke.

It only gets worse as the show goes on and the band members are drinking on stage. The singer Liam just stops singing at all, leaving his brother Noel to pick up the slack and then he repeatedly throwing around his microphone and PA equipment and goes over to fondle the other band members while they're trying to play or hit the drummers' cymbals. Even Noel is getting a bit sloppy and ends up on the floor a couple times. Like its a total disaster. The two brothers both walk off in the middle of the last song leaving the last two members of the band alone to try and finish.

And this was all live on radio and got reviewed by like the New York Times and shit (extremely negatively as you can imagine). People were pissed and wanted refunds.

And there's more believe me...

can you fetch us some youtube recordings? this shit is just too surreal

This EP is the only thing Suffocation put out that's any good.

...though Breeding the Spawn is alright.

So after this, the band are oblivious to what they've done. And one of them gives an interview to some reporter from like Time or something on the phone where they say "We don't give a fuck about playing to silly yanks. Americans are too stupid to understand us anyway since we wear deodorant and don't want to kill ourselves - unlike those grunge people.

Knebworth:
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZAFcs1q92s
MTV Unplugged debacle:
youtube.com/watch?v=q0zxbRYu_2g
Shows without Liam
youtube.com/watch?v=GPSvAx05nbA
Liam arriving in US
youtube.com/watch?v=CKhaE_zi1hA
Some Philly show clips from camcorder:
youtube.com/watch?v=DDHbkvex2NU

Continuing...

I realized my recollection is not 100% accurate on the details now that I see these youtube links. But whatever...

interpol?

Comus but Comus is 10/10

Yeah most of this is completely wrong.

Please stop posting forever

Anyway so those interview comments don't go over well, but Oasis doesn't give a fuck. They pretty much decide they don't need proper interviews or press or publicity. In fact, I think I read somewhere that Epic records was so pissed off at them at this point they were considering suing them for breach of contract (though it was ironic since Epic did a piss poor job at managing them in the first place, though somehow Oasis had managed to make it this far despite all of their own and Epic's blunders).

So anyway, Philly show was a debacle (and sounds a lot worse on the radio than on the camcorder because everything is piped in from the soundboard feed so you can hear all the swearing and tomfoolery shit more easily with little crowd noise), but the tour continues with regular tour dates and their schedule VMA awards performance the next week. And the shows are also still terrible because there's so much drug and drink going on and they all have a mental age of like 13 and don't care if they suck because they're all so rich and famous already. But like at one show the two brothers antagonize the audience with insults and shit so much that they started to get pelted with coins and shoes like two songs in and then the whole band walks off:

youtube.com/watch?v=WJb-DRv_Tc8

Thanks for that recap man. What's your personal interest in Oasis, given your considerable knowledge? Maybe you should write a book or something on 'em, something stupidly titled like "On Hubris: The Oasis Story".

Most of the true shit that went down isn't covered in the video news clips, but was in tabloids and shit that are now out of print.

Whatever though. But yeah, the next show they did, the band was opening for Neil Young at a festival and again they were antagonizing the crowd and daring them to throw shit at the band so that they could walk off:
hyperrust.org/Tour96/Barrie.html

>What's your personal interest in Oasis, given your considerable knowledge?

First got into them reading import music magazines in mid-94. Lived in Chicago which killer commercial alternative and college radio stations so I actually heard DJs play import singles of like Live Forever in the summer of that year before anyone else knew about them in the states. I was a big anglophile and I liked them then, but in the Morning Glory era (with Wonderwall and Champagne etc.) when they became massive I became a massive fan as well. It helped that they had a huge fanbase their too, even after the decline.

But yeah I stuck around until like 2001 and then finally said "enough is enough with these retards"

>was in tabloids
kek I'm sure it's true!

I saw them in 1998 and they were great. Not sure what to tell you.

So then, they make it to the MTV VMAs and most of the band is prepared. Except the singer Liam is drunk and high and was like making a fool of himself on the red carpet, yelling at reporters, stole the cover off of somebody's overhead boom mic

Anyway, so the band goes on stage and the singer yells into the mike accusing everyone of having a "shit time but too scared to say it" before launching into a dreadfully nasally/whiney rendition of Champagne Supernova "up your bumhole!" as he ad-libbed (his voice was really bad at this point, though it would get so more worse over the coming years). He then was liking flipping the bird and making faces at his brother Noel, drinking on stage, then punched his microphone and spat beer up on the stage, and just sort of walked around the stage for the rest of the song.

I know for a fact that when they re-aired it later like in this video, it was censored and with different camera angles to hide the spitting and middle fingers (though you kind of catch a side glimpse of the loogie/beer spit thing in this one):
youtube.com/watch?v=DnO7ywMPbJ4

But yeah, I remember the host right after was like WTF happened. and predictably people were not very impressed by that performance.

>I saw them in 1998 and they were great. Not sure what to tell you.
Well 1998 was the peak of their coke phase and Noel was doing some crazy solos, but Liam's voice was fucked up. There's no doubting that they blew it in America.

only their first two albums were relevant, and they were relevant.

i still mourn the closure of Selectadisc (on left in pic) and the loss of the 2nd hand stores further down Berwick Street.

>but Liam's voice was fucked up
It sounded great at the show I was at, as well as the bootlegs I have from that tour
>There's no doubting that they blew it in America.
Not really.
I saw this show when it first aired, that's not what happened. They put on a great show.

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish here

So yeah, VMAs are a mess. The band is going nuts at this point, but the tour slogs on. IDK what exactly happens but after a show the following week, the brothers fight and Noel Gallagher storms off, hops on a plane to England, and the band essentially breaks up. And so the rest of the American tour dates are cancelled and a scheduled Australian/New Zealand tour leg that was most likely going to take them to the start of '97.

youtube.com/watch?v=st1Ht_8CnFs

in 1995 i bought the 7" single Wibbling Rivalry in the aforementioned Selectadisc in Berwick Street Soho London it's a recording made of the Liam and Noel arguing for 15 minutes or so just as they were getting big. Liam got arrested on a ferry and Noel was dissing him for it. Liam keeps saying "it's fucking rock and roll" and Noel says he was stupid.

i'll sell it for a tenner

>Not really.
Are you joking? Most people were pissed off at the shitty shows, bad attitude, Liam's constant cancellations, the will they/won't they bullshit. I fucking LOVED Oasis but even I was fed up with this.

Also of course they blew it. Don't Look Back In Anger was riding up the charts until all this shit happened and then it stalled in the mid-30s on radio airplay and like number 50 on the Hot 100 and then fell out the week after the tour was cancelled. They never impacted the mainstream on that level, much less Wonderwall/Champagne Supernova in America. Even alternative radio began to turn on them after Be Here Now came out. They would never get another Top 10 hit on that format again.

Of course they fucked it up which I'm elaborating on...

Also Liam's voice literally was trashed by the end of the BHN tour:
youtube.com/watch?v=_fJhY8drBRM

>So yeah, VMAs are a mess
No they weren't. The band was on, the 'not sure if they're gonna play' built anticipation and people ate it up. Then they went on to do a rip roaring version of CS.

>Most people were pissed off at the shitty shows
Not really. Again, I saw them on that tour, and there were no complaints. I don't know anyone who complaiend of it, and I have dozens of bootlegs, none of them were good.

Again, you're just vomiting shit here, and you already admitted the videos are not what you remembered.

Why?

>all this shit happened and then it stalled in the mid-30s on radio airplay and like number 50 on the Hot 100 and then fell out the week after the tour was cancelled.
Irrelevant. This song is fucking played at weddings to this day. It made an impact

>by the end of the BHN tour
Nice goalpost shifting

>and I have dozens of bootlegs, none of them were good.
Should be none of them were bad.

>>was in tabloids
>kek I'm sure it's true!
Well the tabloids did cover true things they did/said. They just sensationalized them to all fuck because that's what sold copies. Everybody knows that the Gallaghers were big into drinking, shagging, snorting coke, fighting each other, acting like retards, not giving a shit about their career, etc. etc. Like this stuff is well documented. Even if the tabloids are long gone, there's like transcribed copies of NME and Melody Maker and Mojo and shit were this stuff is detailed, and a flurry of "Oasis behind the scenes" books published in '96 and '97 by people in their inner circle, as well as like old alt.oasis newsgroups and message board posts from like as far back the mid-90s (though some of the fansites/forums are defunct and lost forever now)

>Well the tabloids did cover true things they did/said
I don't think you understand how tabloids work
>Everybody knows that the Gallaghers were big into drinking, shagging, snorting coke, fighting each other, acting like retards, not giving a shit about their career, etc. etc.
Sure. And people didn't care, thought it was funny, exciting, etc. It didn't "fuck up" anything. It was actually just PR

>It didn't "fuck up" anything. It was actually just PR

So why did Oasis not have anymore big mainstream hits after September 1996 in America? Pure coincidence?

I bought this when this first came out.

What a fucking waste of $20

>So why did Oasis not have anymore big mainstream hits after September 1996 in America?
The singles from BHN were hits. Not sure what you mean. I remember hearing Stand By Me at fucking K-Mart bro

Whatever. This fanboy is deluded. Of course the die-hard fans thought everything the Gallaghers did/said/put out was instant genius, but a lot of people were off put by it.

>I was put off by it,
>therefor a lot of people were
kek

OK I'm going to bed. Sorry your recollection is garbage and erratically want to post lies on Sup Forums, then when you get called out on it, you resort to >meh fanboyism!

You must of rotted holes in your head or something, you post like a nitwit

>The singles from BHN were hits. Not sure what you mean. I remember hearing Stand By Me at fucking K-Mart bro

Dyou know what i mean and Dont go away were both big hits on alternative radio in the lead up to the album's release, but the backlash to the album once it came out stopped them dead in their tracks.

Stand By Me wasn't even released a single in the US.

And for fuck's sake, my cousin had tickets to see Oasis at the Omni in Atlanta in 1996 which seated roughly ~15,000 people before they cancelled. When they came back in 1998, you know where he saw them? At the Fox Theatre which was about 4,500 capacity and not a sellout show.

You're wrong. People did care. I cared at first.
I loved the first two albums, but the Gallagher idiocy put me off. Even so, I wanted them to do well.
It was clear they'd fucked up badly when Liam missed the opening of the American tour, and the press was terrible.
Be Here Now was/is an awful record, and from then on they were a band for their fans only. No one else cared. I was, by then, just a bit sad.

>And for fuck's sake, my cousin had tickets to see Oasis at the Omni in Atlanta in 1996 which seated roughly ~15,000 people before they cancelled. When they came back in 1998, you know where he saw them? At the Fox Theatre which was about 4,500 capacity and not a sellout show.
Sounds like good venues.

Who gives a fuck if they were filling theaters instead of arenas? Good music is good music.
>Be Here Now was/is an awful record
You definitely have holes in your brain

Goodnight

i got it for £2 in Selectadisc. i'd guess they just dropped their promos in their bargain box (they often did that) and didn't stock the release

Anyway, the band break up but then don't actually but they make a third album and some of the hype levels have returned.

But you know what they put out as the lead single? Something that is not even close to being on the level of a comeback single as Wonderwall/Champagne Supernova/Don't Look Back in Anger:
youtube.com/watch?v=GCacNlaJIdc

Yes "All My People Right Here Right Now D'You What I Mean? Yeah Yeah" is the actual chorus.

Yes the single is over 7 minutes long with backwards guitars and vocals, morse code, a 2 minute intro section, 30 million guitar overdubs,
Why you ask? Because the band was so big in England that nobody would tell them "No that's a bad idea for a comeback single" or "Maybe you should rewrite this". Plus, literally everyone involved with Oasis working in the studio was doing tons of cocaine all the time. They had no perception of reality.

So the album comes out and it sounds like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=vaseIZHD1jA
youtube.com/watch?v=KKisxbyZ9Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=l8DRI-D7-WQ

A total fucking mess of half-baked songs lost in thousands of guitar overdubs, random sound effects at the beginnings and ends of songs, a horrible mixing job that is ear-piercingly trebly.

How could anyone think this was on par with their earlier work?

Now I actually like Dyou what I mean and it did well on rock radio and MTV at the time, but the rest of the album was a vast disappointment and even then I knew they were just resting on their laurels.

But yeah the tour itself was even more debauched than before. The venues were smaller but the egos and drug usage and wallet sizes much bigger.

Again Liam's voice was going downhill. Fanboys don't like when you say that, but yeah it was. Compare this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Vxgd2_VfJdw

and this:
youtube.com/watch?v=_fJhY8drBRM

the difference is night and day

So the tour goes on and then you have shit like this:
mtv.com/news/20629/oasis-singer-arrested-for-head-butting-fan/
youtube.com/watch?v=b_vv74Ze9rk
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/64844.stm
youtube.com/watch?v=oRbscuYG2-Q
aparchive.com/metadata/AUSTRALIA-OASIS-SINGER-LIAM-GALLAGHER-CHARGED-WITH-ASSAULT/6d8d0c060eee42f574f0cbf1d67e1a3c

And my personal favorite (see 00:35):
youtube.com/watch?v=GaphSqAr0xo

At this point they're washed up has-beens in America and nothing more than a punchline ("I hate you more than the Gallaghers hate each other Dave") and losing much of their wider reach and influence in the UK (though still holding a large number of dedicated fans)

After that, the band goes on a brief break and the last two original members who aren't the brothers quit because they've had enough of that shit.

And then the brothers try, yet another Oasis comeback in 2000. But of course they fuck it up yet again.

Somehow Liam goes on TRL with Carson Daly which is like the big MTV teeny-bopper Top 40 pop show to promote the new Oasis album and then does this baffling interview in front of millions of people:
youtube.com/watch?v=nuAOcuLJR7I

Needless to say, it did not help their new album which was a massive failure.

For comparison
>1996 - Morning Glory was a breakout success with over 4 million copies sold
>1997 - Be Here Now is very underwhelming and critically panned, first week sales were 150,000 (400,000 expected), sold ~1 million copies since its release
>2000 - Standing on the Shoulders... total commercial and critical bomb in America. Has sold just 200,000 copies since its release.

i think you've lost your judgement to fanboism.
Be Here Now was at best bland, and nothing to the first two albums. they'd lost it.
even the title was a cliche, an overused hippy/self help slogan from the 80s.
Embarrassing.

At this point I think Oasis had been dropped by their original label which then went bankrupt and the Gallaghers started their own label with some distribution deal with like Sony or somebody. But clearly, they were not a hot ticket item anymore.

So after the album release and promotion totally bombs, Oasis decide to show everybody that they still "had it" as a live act. Problem is, they didn't even have enough members so they got some random Britpop nobodies to join the band as bass and rhythm guitar. Oh yeah, and Liam's voice, declining as it had since like 1993/1994, reaching new lows on that last tour as I posted above, continues to be horrible.

Though they're still a stadium/arena act in the UK, the venues in America are even slightly smaller than the last tour and the stakes are higher.

Of course then Liam and Noel as usual get into a fight and then Noel quits the band again:
theguardian.com/uk/2000/may/24/sarahhall

So a just Liam and session musician-tier Oasis play a bunch of festivals and it doesn't go well:
youtube.com/watch?v=NKNcmXMTKbo

That was the best clip I could find but there's some more out there of Liam getting pissed off at the crowds at these shows. At one he walked off after 4 songs:
setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2000/werchterpark-werchter-belgium-73d476d9.html
Then cancelled the Oasis show the next day:
setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2000/festivalpladsen-roskilde-denmark-7bc24eb8.html

However, Noel eventually returns to the band and they play what are supposed to be a triumphant (yet another) Oasis comeback of Wembley Stadium shows in front of 80,000 people, filmed for a dvd, and broadcast live on tv and radio to millions of viewers all around the UK and the world (was on cable here in America).

Thanks for the recap radio man. I've been an Oasis obsessive since I was 14, first band I got into, but that was in 2005, so I'm the ripe age of 26...far too young to remember. I've read most of this stuff in biographies and tour diary type books, but it's good to hear from someone else.

Honestly, it's a damn shame and I blame Liam most of all. Noel at least tried to be responsible sometimes. That dynamic is pretty clear in the Wibbling Rivalry tape. And I don't think Noel ever lost his talent either. Even beyond all the chaos, the real downfall of Oasis was Noel letting the rest of the band write songs.

Be Here Now has a great record in it buried under piles of shit. The songs themselves are just as good as the first two, and it has Liam's best vocals, but all the song have unnecessary guitar solos making them twice as long as they should be, plus all the damn layering. Strip that away and it would've been a third classic.

So what happened?

Well, while Noel was trying to stay sober now and make Oasis' comeback legitimate, Liam was as big into the drinking, smoking, snorting, etc. as ever. Even worse, Liam, who at this point has just had a son, cheated on his wife who is now divorcing him and taking him of his Oasis royalties, goes off on another multiple-day bender. He is so fucking washed up at this point it's pathetic. He looks haggard, a good 10 years older than he did just a year and a half ago.

Basically, the show starts and cameras roll and it is a fucking shitshow:
youtube.com/watch?v=1FwV-jHNk1I
youtube.com/watch?v=zHcJvwSHkt8
youtube.com/watch?v=WaR_RJiBk3M
youtube.com/watch?v=aoFQUiuoDM8

I remember seeing this happen live on tv with my friends and thinking "Jesus they've done it again".

Some comeback...

A week later they try to do another festival and then are booed/bottled off stage:
theguardian.com/uk/2000/jul/28/fiachragibbons

And the tour ends shortly after.

But not 8 months later, they've apparently run out of money again and are back on tour as a double header with similar 90s dadrock has-beens The Black Crowes. I saw them play at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas to a less than full crowd. That was the last time I ever saw them live. It was like a somebody doing a bad parody of what they thought washed-up 30 year old Oasis would be like. It was frankly just more boring than bad. The Crowes were decent though.

But yeah my fandom was officially over at that point

Look, I'm a kid by comparison. I got into Oasis when I was 14 in 2005. I was born when their first album came out. So I only got to see them once, Madison Square Garden, their final New York show before the long overdue and unexpected breakup. But man did I have a great time! I've seen Noel once since and I have tickets to see them both separately now that I've moved to London.

Liam's voice has improved, especially in studio, and he's mellowed out somewhat. Noel's voice only got better over the years and he never lost his songwriting talent.

Here's one of Noel's new songs:

youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZrgleyX0g

Another Wonderwall or Talk Tonight, but just about as good. And that's just a bonus track; the rest of his new album is pretty far out from what he usually does. It almost sounds like MGMT.

For Liam's new solo record he hired a bunch of professional songwriters who used to be in C-list nineties alt-rock bands. They do their best impression to create what they think an Oasis song should sound like and it works like 80%. Not as good as Noel, but still a solid effort.

I'm glad to be able to see them as they are now.

>first band I got into, but that was in 2005, so I'm the ripe age of 26...far too young to remember. I've read most of this stuff in biographies and tour diary type books, but it's good to hear from someone else.

It really just aggravated me how much they wasted their potential. Even after Be Here Now, where my expectations were so low it was like "they can only go up from here", they still disappointed.

I followed them a bit after 2001 or would see them pop up on occasion in music mags. But it was always more of the same. Like in '02, it seemed like the press and certain parts of the music industry were willing to give them yet another chance (especially in England). With no new music out they were allowed to headline Coachella (hugely generous considering their reputation at that point) and did a decent job. The two singles off the new album come out and are getting decent reviews in the UK and used during the World Cup and stuff, so there's a lot of hype building up around this record like "Old Oasis aren't ever coming back but this could be the next
best thing". And then album comes out and it's a piece of trash even worse than the one before it (which was even a step down from the one before that).

And then they try to stage another comeback at Glastonbury in 2004 in hype/preparation for their new album but it ends up just being embarrassing and depressing:
youtube.com/watch?v=SQSPFEM3HaE

Once again, crashing and burning in full view of everyone.

And it would continue until their breakup. I could keep going for a while...

Even though I've only heard the first two Oasis albums (which I love) and Noel's first solo album (pretty good). I'm so glad he ditched Liam. Liam is a good vocalist, hilarious in interviews even to this day but such a retard. You also forgot that they walked out on a Rolling Stone photo shoot.

2006 was pretty bad. Liam was at his worst.

Dig Out Your Soul was not bad but then things went to shit on that tour and they split for good

one step forward, two steps back
everytime

but yeah its for the best oasis is done now

Actually the final Oasis album is great. The best they'd done since the nineties. Again a disappointment though. Six out of the first seven tracks are written by Noel and they're all fantastic. Then the last four tracks are by the rest of the band and it's like the quality falls off a cliff. Noel's solo records are pretty great though, so as much as I miss Liam's vocals, I'm glad the albums are all his songs.

what are your thoughts on potatos?

There's a lot of shit you could bring up. It's too bad that oasis documentary ended with knebworth and frankly left out a lot of stuff in favor of portraying a positive image. You got the rise but no fall which is just as interesting. The 2 years immediately after knebworth are just as important in the story of oasis even if they're not pretty.

Also a bunch of oasis related videos are all gone from youtube now

rockdirt.com/liam-gallagher-calls-black-met-bar-security-monkeys/1806/

I'm waiting for the inevitable biopic that chronicles them from council estate bike stealing days to knebworth to be here now. It's an amazing story and could easily be one of the best rock biopics ever if done right.

I swear someone on Sup Forums has talked about that before.
But yeah a no holds barred thing up until the bhn era and then guigs and bonehead quitting is the epilogue

Madferit

>There's a lot of shit you can bring up
Carry on

rockdirt.com/liam-gallagher-is-just-a-big-wimp-says-sacked-drummer/4575/

>oasisposting

loving this trend

Noel and daughter

You know it's true.

Muh dick. How was his manlet bong genes able to produce that?

Wife