What are essential "style over substance" movies?

What are essential "style over substance" movies?

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Jg0lidlRPnU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
twitter.com/AnonBabble

anything made by wes anderson

Gaspar Noe thread?

pls post in my thread

from the female harmony korine

kys

Its a classic pixie dg flick, just put it in moonspeak and shaky camera and critics and their "patrician" followers can piss themselves

awful fucking movie. got memed into watching it

*kisses back*

my mistake american honey is springbreakers with substance

>awful fucking movie
PLEB

Is this the Zack Snyder thread? Oh wait, Snyder movies don't have any substance

>Snyder movies don't have any substance

keep repeating this to yourself.

what does style over substance even mean? if it's a compliment then you're right, it's a great movie.

Neon Demon and Drive

Anything by Snyder and Bay.

Neon Demon yes, Drive has some substance so no.

youtu.be/Jg0lidlRPnU

I like it a lot, maybe more than In The Mood For Love

You sound triggered friend, try to not be so plebeian and it may go away

the entire french new wave

Anything by Snyder

Ashley benson is just fucking unreasonably hot

like jesus christ. Perfect 10/10 facial aesthetics, then skinny with fat tits. Literaly perfection

anything that follows the rule of "show, don't tell"
anything that stimulates your audience in any way is manipulative propaganda, the ideal cinema is a blank canvas on which the audience drapes its collective intelligence

It means

pretty pictures, no plot and no depth

So you mean "good movies", right? Substance is irrelevant

It doesn't have any style

>this is what Sup Forums has become

I blame Disney for this

Why does the piggy in pink make me so hard lads

it means
"I don't like it and I want an authoritative way of voicing my opinion."
see also
>pretentious
>cliché

Kill yourself my man

it means visuals over real depth
kind of like the difference between a film and a good book

Finally a guy who understands how it is

Dialogue and plot are irrelevant in film, if you care about them go read a novel

Film is mostly about image, pace and rhythm

>acting, writing, story and themes dont matter

Branded to Kill

ownn baby didn't get it? baby can't wrap his mind around true cinema? *pats baby's head* be calm, I'll play your favorite plot-based superhero movie again

Story is 100% irrelevant

This is one of the things that is killing cinema, too many plebs who watch tv show. You people only care about "what" instead of "how"

yeah this is he trend that drives those hopelessly dull prequels and origin stories that retards salivate over. anybody remember how willy wonka was a dentist's son? truly we live in an unprecedented era or rich, deep storytelling

>Story is 100% irrelevant

he's right
you're the kind of mouthbreathing "cinephile" who thinks historical epics are the peak of artistic achievement

what do you think is then? some movie with no story that looks like a music video?

>capeshit
>plot-based

>become
How fucking new are you kiddo?

You do know Sup Forums was around before star wars 7 and bane tom hardy raid right?

Some music videos (the last Kanye West ones, for example) are better than most acclaimed movies

>you're the kind of mouthbreathing "cinephile" who thinks historical epics are the peak of artistic achievement
Yes I am. and your point is?

You're the reason this board is aids.

What, you think we can't tell when an actress is attractive? You think we needed you to point out that tits are nice? It's a movie about attractive celebrities and you come in talking about how attractive one of them is. Do me a favor, do your parents a favor and do society as a whole a favor and slit your wrists, top to bottom. Find the nearest bridge on Google maps or empty out the contents of your father's pill cabinet into your stomach. Neck yourself.

What on fucking fuck was this even about? Were they trying to find water or something? Doesn't matter, this is the pinnacle of style over substance in the last 20 years. Kill Bill comes close.

I made it. Arguing with your kind is like asking the wind to learn arithmetic

>origin stories, the hero's journey, overcoming the monster
>not plot-based

do you even cinéma du look
get real tbf

Implying style over substance taken to a greater degree doesn't eventually come full circle to substance.

Style is substance. Substance is style.

In anime terms style would be cowboy bebop and substance would be legend of the galactic heroes

This.

Story retards are the cancer killing movies.

last 3 sentences of that first paragraph were pure kino m8

>muh style
go watch tree of life you faggots

this desu, style as substance

We do

You go watch Superman vs Hulk

Enter the Void
Sexy Beast

So I guess you agree that Ford is the best director of our generation and Nocturnal Animals is MOTY right?

>n-no, i didn't mean t-that style hehe...

Fuck off cuck

>So I guess
Stopped reading there, I only rebut or accept arguments

Fuck you Gandhi kicked major ass in Sexy Beast

style is so subjective though, its a pretty shallow way to judge most films

Is Spring Breakers worth making a thread every single god damn day til the end of time?

Yes. Alien is love, Alien is life

>is it a modern day mastepierce worth talking about frequently?
Perhaps capeshit threads are more up your alley

>"style over substance"
Bravo, you understood the movie! Now watch Matrix.

Honestly I tried to watch this a year ago and killed it about 40 minutes in. Somehow, Selena Gomez in her panties doing splits in a hallway with the camera lingering on her pussy just wasn't enough to keep my invested in the film.

It's really impressive when you make a movie about sexy girls being slutty, boring.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

Read it all and then answer the question

>slutty
You what? They all 4 fuck like 1 guy at most

The real question here is why are there threads everyday for it again

>Not only do I hold retarded opinions, I'm a high-level autist!
Coincidence????

I didn't mean to imply Sexy Beast was bad.

It's great. Glazer films in general are style over substance but he makes it work.

No need to post a wiki page m8, I'm a fluent Latin speaker and I'm way aware of logic terms and fallacies

>It's really impressive when you make a movie about sexy girls being slutty, boring
Snyder did it

>t-t-they're not sluts if they's f-fucking one g-guy!
When you let your 11-year-old go out in teeny weeny booty shorts, you're letting her slut it up, m8.

>same plot in every movie
>shitty villains with generic motivation
>plot-based

It's just an excuse for quips and special effects. The only thing stopping them from being style over substance is that they don't have any style either.

You what? Write like a normal person

Yeah I killed that about 30 minutes in too. Even more remarkable since it's an ACTION movie and I really like Snyder.

I'll have to get incredibly stoned and try it again sometime.

subjectivity is the essence of art
if you can reduce music, painting, or film to a series of words, you would have been better off with those words to begin with
real art is about expressing that which words cannot

Congratulations on your fedora then. Now what do you think of the primum movens of the style over substance, Tom Ford?

STYLE IS SUBSTANCE YOU FUCKING REDDIT

FILM IS A VISUAL MEDIUM

That's what I got out of it too.

It was fine. But not anything that amazed me. QT grill tho.

*AUDIOVISUAL

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Romeo + Juliet

I don't care about Tom Ford, stop putting words in my mouth I haven't pronounced

STYLE INFORMS SUBSTANCE.

STYLE IS NOT SUBSTANCE IN ITSELF

>style over substance
all the people I've heard say this irl were the standard IMDb-core loving ""cinephile"". coincidence?

It's an amorphous criticism that works well in practically any context; the favorite tool of the pseudo-intellectual contrarian.

Most movies in the IMDB top are just substance, what the fuck are you talking about

GREAT CAPS
MUCH STYLE
NO SUBSTANCE THOUGH, YOUR POINT IS A DOG

>can't comprehend how form follows function and theme
Step it up senpai. Practically the first thing the narrator does is mention how desultory and superficial the bulk of our movements through life are -- that's reinforced by jarring editing and camera work. Wew

>amorphous criticism that works well in any context
see also: "pseudo-intellectual"

Do you have a reading issue?

read my post again, think harder

You got that the other way around, buddy.

SUBSTANCE IS MEANING
CHARACTER AND NARRATIVE CREATE MEANING
STYLE INFORMS MEANING

STYLE IS MEANING
VISUALS CREATE MEANING
CHARACTER AND PLOT ARE PERFUNCTORY ACCOMODATIONS TO THOSE WHO CANNOT HANDLE THE ABSTRACT

Eh, I think that the style of Spring Breakers amplifies and accords with the substance of the film. The problem is what it's saying isn't very interesting or nuanced.

Contrast that with , where every shot just needs to look "cool" or "epic" regardless of what the moment demands, on top of the fact that the extent to which ideas are explored or expressed is infantile. Hurr durr, the weight of responsibility of the Christ figure, the consequences of power. People who like Snyder are contrarian pseuds or idiots who think the intimation of (cliched) ideas is sufficient.

do you have a point to make? is there any substance to your stylish post?

this

>VISUALS CREATE MEANING
This really. Is Koyaanisqatsi "style over substance?" Does that make it bad?