MOVIES FUCKING SUCK THESE DAYS

I mean seriously, especially Hollywood. Hollywood has gone fucking insane and should be put down like a dog. Mass market ugliness. Shit like Suicide Squad, basically any blockbuster that has come within the twenty years kind of blows.

Even the good movies we have in this era seem to be lacking something. (pic)

People don't like realism or grit anymore. I mean where's the excitement in a movie where everyone was comfortable and safe in front of a green screen. (The Hobbit movies)

I was rewatching The Sugarland Express the other day and was amazed how affected I was by the end of it, made me feel in ways a movie today could never do.

That's why I mainly watch movies from the 20th century. So much passion behind the movies and the people working on them. I mean the passion is still alive today but I feel like the stride is slowly deteriorating. Even a shitty movie from back then is more enjoyable than your average blockbuster of today.
Death Wish 2 ma niggah

>inb4 *tips fedora* im retro and watch 80s movies heuheuhueh hate my whole generation wish it was the 80s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I only watch shit tier americunt blockbusters
Not every good movie has a 100 mil budget
theres plenty of great movies every year, your ass i just blinded by your pretentiousness

Even the independents suck ass these days dingus

*hits blunt*
yeah man i enjoy only the TRUE GREAT MOVIES

city zen cain is only true kino

Characters in most independent films these days make me wanna rip my hair out

Probably cause they were conjured up by stupid psuedo intellect hipster types.

Citizen Kane is probably as good as they say.

But like what happened to hot, sun dried black and white films Treasure of the Sierra Madre or Wages of Fear

Hollywood is more concerned with propaganda than making good movies

Did you see Mad Max fury road
that movies is beatuiful
the plot is perfect for the type of movie it is

And I was gonna end this post here but since this is Sup Forums
the movie is not feminist propaganda
it shows a patriarchal and matriarchal society that are both failures because they lack their equivalents qualities
and only through unity can they survive in the world

the only influence the vagina monologues lady had on the movies is designing clothes for the "brides", since they needed to be the prettiest of all the wasteland broads

What a big fucking ignorant nostalgia fag you are.

The problem is that you equate all of the pre 1990 movies as a whole, like it all happened in one year.
Every era has it's flaws, if you lived in your precious 80s you would probably hate mass-produced zombie movies just like you hate capeshit today.

And this decade is anything but bad.
The year 2007 alone has so many future classics
>No Country for Old Men
>The Assassination of Jesse James
>There Will Be Blood
>Zodiac
>Eastern Promises
>Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

You would most probably hate the current movies/music/art in whichever era you lived in.
Please don't be an ignorant cunt.

I'm not sure where it comes from but there is a certain romanticism I have looking back at movies from the 50's, 60's, or 70's that just isn't present for more modern movies. Maybe it is just that with the transparency of the studios right now I have become to cynical about the moviemaking process. With the older films I am usually not aware of any of the behind the scenes unless I look it up. Also perhaps the lack of technology and special effects back then made them focus more on a great story and characters than some movies today where it is all about the spectacle.

Another element that might play a part is the number of movies being released. Today there is so much competition in theatres and online that some movies are forced to do whatever it takes to make people see their movie instead of the other, especially oversees in places like China. If your film doesn't translate well to the Asian market your film could be a huge flop. There is the need to make things simple and safe. This has gotten worse since the whole economic crisis around 2008. That pretty much shut down most independent film studios that popped up in the 90's. I would say this argument though doesn't just apply to this current decade but has been a gradual increase since the 40's and 50's. Every decade you have more and more films coming out with more advanced film making techniques and effects. However what it has led to in the present is a kind of oversaturation I think to these big blockbusters and has led to many people wanting to "go back" to character and story driven films.

>Mad Max fury road is feminist propaganda

>muh story and plot points

Reminder that if you judge movies on the narrative alone, then you are missing the whole point of a visual medium and you are indeed a first class pleb.

And what's your obsession with "big hollywood blockbusters"?
Just don't watch them maybe?

There are more then enough of independent and foreign movies in this day and age of technology where everyone has a form of a camera in their pocket.

do you honestly believe hollywood became corrupt 10 years ago?

shit movies with no style and awful plot have existed since fucking blockbusters existed

just over the year a lot of garbage got filtered so it appears as though the 60s and 70s had nothing but good movies

I mean, when was the last time someone mentioned pic related

That movie sucked man. It looked so fucking ridiculous.

I'll just watch The Road Warrior

>>muh story and plot points
Fuck off Sup Forumsedditor. If a movie has a shitty narrative the best it can aspire to be is a fucking music video. I bet you loved Suckerpunch, daft fucking cunt.

This, I never got 'feminist' crits in the bad way, it was a total anti Islamic film, which is awesome.

This, Citizen Kane is amazing, I get what you're saying.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is pure fucking kino.

Those films listed are amazing films, problem is, everyone else tries to make their films like that, they're cold films. All of them are depressing in nature.
I agree with you on the '
The problem is that you equate all of the pre 1990 movies as a whole, like it all happened in one year.' statment, the 1970s had the best films of all time and also the worst shit ever made.

I think what's different is the cinema culture is gone, now we can watch trailers anytime we want, trailer breakdowns, some jerk off crying about it on a video.

boy you must be one dry motherfucker

I said 20th century so yeah I lumped them in with the 20th century dummy.

I honestly dont wish I lived in the 80s, Im just self aware and realize people would see me as that type of person. I am aware of flaws in old movies, believed I mentioned it in my original post.

And really the only good movies out of the shit year 2007, was No Country For Old Men and There Will be Blood. even though There Will Be Blood is a pseudo intellect type movie.

PTA be like "Hurrhurr capitalism and churches go so well together it's like religion is a business, how compelling. this is a great movie. religion sux."

Sunset Boulevard is required viewing.

I didn't say that Hollywood wasn't corrupt in the past. What I was saying is that my awareness of it is not as prevalent as it is for modern movies. I think that is what gives a lot of people this view of nostalgia or romanticism for old movies, a certain ignorance of the behind the scenes of the studio. Obviously studio meddling and big dumb blockbusters have almost always been around.

Like you said the shit movies seem to get filtered out through time and forgotten and thus only the good movies seem to be remembered and survive in people's consciousness. That could play a huge part into why people have a negative view of todays films. The dumb shit and garbage is still remembered and in our consciousness. As time passes the shit falls away and what is left are the good memorable movies.

I am not trying to state that all old movies are great or that past decades are miles ahead of today but rather trying to explore why people would think that way.

Fedora Road is shit regardless of its "agenda." It's just a stunt demo with an awful story and characters so people can claim it's a "movie" instead of a stunt demo.

The Road Warrior is a dry movie, literally!

Film is a visual medium.
The narrative is only one element in the whole filmmaking process.

If a movie has a mediocre/bad story but is executed well in all the other elements it will still result in a good movie (some recent examples like Fury Road, Sicario, The Revenant)

But if the narrative is the only good element in a movie it will never ever result in a good movie.
Get educated a bit my dear amigo friend.

whats awful about it
it doesn't have any holes
it's paced well
the ending is satisfying

I consider this some of the "shit" that came out in the 40s. A movie that wanted to be as epic as Gone With The Wind but sorta fell for it's more scandalous scenes.

Even this movie is more passable than most movies these days.

I haven't watched the oscars in a while cause they suck man

characters are dull
paced way too fucking quick

that's another damn problem these days, movies shoot by so quick. too quick to care.

Kick Ass 2 had that problem, went by waaaayy to fucking quick. But that movie couldve been 15 minutes for all I care, fucking sucked balls.

lol ok grandpa

Why do they even show trailers at the theater now?

damn kids ruined hollywood'

when i become a filmmaker ill make the slow burn movies. that actually have something to say. and you need wont need no youtube analyiser to get the message too

I never said anything about judging films by narrative alone. I get that film is a visual medium. However I feel that the story should not just be an excuse to jump from big effects action scene to big effects action scene. Ideally there should be a strong narrative that the effects then help enhance. What makes something visual stand out to me, whether it be a simple shot or a huge special effect is the context. That context is usually provided by the story and character which adds emotion and meaning to what I am looking at.

I don't have an "obsession" with big Hollywood blockbusters, OP explicitly mentioned Hollywood blockbusters hence me talking about Hollywood blockbusters.

Your point about there being so many independent movies and foreign movies out there kind of plays into the point I tried to make in that there are so many movies being released that you really have to look for them. Unless it gets a big theatrical release or Oscar nominations most people don't even know they exist and most don't have the energy to go look for them. Thus what takes all the attention is the big studio pictures in almost every theatre. Those films are what are always present in the collective consciousness. Not enough people are exposed to the independent movies for people to pay attention to them or demand more of them. If all people are aware of and remember are the big action blockbusters then they will think that is all there is and thus judge filmmaking on those films.

Society no longer has the capacity to create art - only entertainment.

How has the number of film studios changed throughout history? I know that many industries have become dominated by only a handful of actors with little reason to compete with the others. Maybe this is what happened to film.

WRONG

Society can create art. The problem is that there is no one to appreciate it. Instead we have the film elite who dictate quality while the plebs are forced to accept garbage as "kino". If people were taught how to understand film, not through pedantry but experience, those former peons would promote a new golden age in art.

it's true most studios started out with the business men and their dreams, people Daryl F Zanuck who start from the bottom and work their way up. Then the Nepotism happens, the men wanna preserve their business so it just gets handed down through a generation of rich boys, each one more pampered than the previous, and some unreal views on this world.

I feel like that's what's starting to happen now.

With all the tools at our expense, and YouTube a platform for release there's no reason why more people shouldn't start delving into art. I mean you can do great things with enough video footage and a program if you put your mind to it.

BIG

I was referring to consolidation of studios. The same thing has happened with almost all industries.

Then those guys I was talking about sold in.

Could it be globalism?

I don't see the problem.

but mad max was literally Sup Forumseddit: the movie

i understand if u like shit like that but don't pretend it was a good movie or anything

mildly entertaining for a few minutes but other than that, what's the fuckiing point? i'd rather get hammered and play Borderlands or GTA5, it'd be about the same effect

There have been outstanding movies that have come out in the last 16 years you haven't even heard of.

Just because you only watch mainstream and popular indie movies doesn't mean it's all terrible. Apply yourself, go find something

Less competition means less risk taking which means the industry stagnates. Because the large firms are "too big to fail" the status quo will continue. Many small firms will hire more teams to produce more films with smaller budgets, although not necessarily all films will be "low budget" and many could have the budgets that are thrown around today.

I won't get into the implications on the perpetuation of cultural norms.

I've looked man, it's pretty pretentious.

>Even the good movies we have in this era seem to be lacking something. (pic)
>Even the good movies
>(pic)

Is this bait or what?

>Death Wish 2 ma niggah

If you type the phrase ma niggah again, make sure to kill yourself before hitting post.

>not liking eastern promises
>not liking jesse james.

Please crush your own skull. If you were half the faggot you act like the naked fight scene with viggo's dick flopping around would be enough to make u rate it 10/10

Pure bait

mah nigga

you don't know what you are talking about

Samefag

youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI

You all laugh at me, but I know you all you little pudgy chubby fuckers jerk off your to your Criterion edition of Fat Girl every night.

I've sat around and listened to people act like The Dark Knight is a good movie, FOR TOO DAMN LONG.

It was something that I loved and praised with everyone else until I watched it a few more times on DVD. almost every time I just felt bored and almost obligated to like it. Dar Knight rises though was the nail in the coffin, made Nolan's mistakes stand out more

You see I feel like you could say that about most movies these days oddly.

movies reflect the state of our culture and society until it becomes completely co-opted by the left and turns into a platform for them to shit their political opinions down onto the masses, at that point it turns into very dry one sided propaganda and you can clearly outline this cancer has been happening slowly since the early 2000's

Exactly what I mean.

where were you in the midst of all these idiots.