What is America's issue with this flag?

What is America's issue with this flag?

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalpost.com/news/canada/former-canadian-flag-the-red-ensign-gets-new-darker-life-as-far-right-symbol/wcm/80778f2c-6c23-4000-9917-85176a40e684
pbs.org/newshour/rundown/8-things-didnt-know-confederate-flag/
youtube.com/watch?v=7XVsEVW4x_Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this will surely be a very polite, sensible discussion

Is it seen as a symbol of racism/prejudice?

I don't get the fuss either.

Don't you understand? Dylann Roof was photographed holding it, and he shot some people, therefore it's evil, and century-old statues and monuments must be removed immediately!

I want to know too. We don't study their history.

because this country has a complete aversion to any sort of regional symbolism, that's why the flags of the states are all ugly pieces of shit. But yes, we'll just pretend it's because of some war that happened 150 years ago and not demonization and outright hatred of a particular culture native to the US for political reasons.

Too much red. I don't give a fuck about muh racism, I just don't like the design.

except it's the most aesthetic flag of all time

>pic
Russian tricolour was used by collaborationists during WWII.

Because slavery

>Buster Keaton made a movie about a confederate hero.
Sounds like sci-fy now.

well what's ironic is that by trying to censor it, the flag has just become more popular and more meaningful too. I'm from connecticut and people here in rural areas will rock the flag just as a big fuck you to the system. It's pretty rad actually.

>Most aesthetic
>Isn't Union Jack or Stars and Stripes

False

Poles know what's up. Pic. related from President Trump's recent visit there.

I'd prefer going back to the time when people could display it in public without somebody shitting their pants over it being more popular, but that's good to hear

I wouldn't have a problem if it were legitimately about heritage, but given that it was essentially abandoned in the South post-Civil war until the late 40s with the rise of the Dixiecrats, who were explicitly racist segregationists, its fucking stupid.

What do liberals have against this flag?

You don't need to worry about their flag. Bored Canadians want on the bandwagon so now the red ensign is a racist flag.

nationalpost.com/news/canada/former-canadian-flag-the-red-ensign-gets-new-darker-life-as-far-right-symbol/wcm/80778f2c-6c23-4000-9917-85176a40e684

Except Democrats are voting to remove statues that have been in place since the 1800s and very early 1900s.

There's something repulsive about the New Orleans City Council and Mitch Landrieu voting to remove a statue of P.G.T. Beauregard, who did so much for New Orleans and Louisiana, and when they're frankly not fit as human beings to even shine Beauregard's boots.

>it was essentially abandoned in the South post-Civil war until the late 40s
Source? It was incorporated into the flag of Mississippi in the late 19th century, so I don't believe this.

pbs.org/newshour/rundown/8-things-didnt-know-confederate-flag/

DELETE THIS THREAD YOU IDIOT

It's not even the flag of the confederacy racist whites as usual though don't care

The 'real' Confederate flag is pretty much the state flag of Georgia today.

The CSA had about five different national flags, most of which incorporated the design into them somehow.

what a fucking troll move that was
>have the Confederate emblem on your flag
>people cry about it
>literally replace it with an entire Confederate national flag with a seal on it
>nobody has a single problem with it since then

Smart guys, uh?

Too bad it is still one of the poorest states of the Union.

KEK didn't even know about that

Pretty much, yes.

Georgia isn't that poor, it's Mississippi and Alabama that are the impoverished parts of the South.

I have a problem with it because those cousin-fuckers lost. They got their shit kicked in and their cities burnt down, and they have the audacity to fly anything that isn't a plain white surrender flag.

Georgia is in the top ten state economies.

Flown by le epin racists

I think it's stupid though tbqh, there is nothing stopping it from being a neutral symbol of the South. The KKK flies it, but they also fly the American flag. Besides, it was a war flag for the CSA. Pic related was the national flag from 1861-1863 and it is completely uncontroversial to fly, so the problem isn't that it's connected with the CSA.

Well that's extremely petty and stupid.

>Four of the top ten are former Confederate states

Feels good, man.

Pisses me off and makes absolutely no sense. It's like when neo-Nazis in Germany fly flags from the German Empire. Faggot white pride retards can get their own fucking flags and leave my based red ensign alone.

Why not just fly your state flag if you want pride of where you're from that isn't just a blanket America? I routinely fly my Texas flag.

The comment section is mostly people pointing out that they weren't a white pride group, as several of them weren't really "white". They just wanted the protestors to stop disrespecting Canada and defacing our flag, by engaging them in a conversation.

Traitors
Flown by American """""patriots"""""" that love America so much they wanted to leave it.

You see, Seceshes must be swept away by God's hand like the Jews of old.

because Texas is the only Southern state with a good flag besides Mississippi.

>there is nothing stopping it from being a neutral symbol of the South
that's all most normal people want it to be. The thing is that nobody who is triggered by it ever suggests an alternative, they basically just say "fuck you, we hate you, you can't have a flag", which is why people get so defensive about it. As other people have said ITT half of the appeal of it at this point is just upsetting people because of that. I personally just want something neat to hang up that I think represents my culture, just like 99% of people around the world who want to own a flag. I'm not interested in opening some can of worms or provoking people with it.

That said, the Confederate flag has a historical basis for being used meaning it can't just be artificially replaced with something else, especially considering there is no central authority regulating what is and isn't a symbol of the South.

I'm not talking about that incident specifically. I have seen white supremacists fly it and it makes be extremely butthurt since that isn't how it should be seen. It was Canada's flag for a really outstanding period of our history, larpers ought to stick to their own flags.

that is the battle flag

it is not some symbol of solidarity, it is the symbol of pettiness and glorification of violence, it is for the destruction of the federation and for the triumph of regional rule over the universal declaration of rights of the constitution

it is a symbol of the unity of the american peoples and it is symbolizes the never ending americans' desire for devastating violence

it is NOT* a symbol of the unity of the american peoples

>it symbolizes a bunch of autistic shit because some autist says so
great argument

The difference is that Bavaria didn't fought a war to keep theirs slaves

That look similar to the flag of the spanish empire. Its called the cross of burgundy a form of the st Andrew's cross

>muh ebil slavery

the only problem i have with it is that it shouldnt be flown by any government entity in this country. it was literally flown by traitors, idgaf if you fly it yourself but the government shoulldnt be doing it

because southerners are cucks who cant win a war if their life depended on it.

So is slavery not bad? especially since it wasn't an ancient type of slavery

it was bad but there's nothing more cringeworthy than pretending that in the 19th fucking century chattel slavery was the worst thing western nations were doing and that it's some excuse to just completely dismiss the CSA as some attempt at creating an American Third Reich.

Especially considering the US was perfectly willing to allow slavery to continue if the CS just gave up the fight. The only reason why they ended up freeing any of them was as a late-war tactic to cripple the Southern economy.

>Take four years to win a war most thought would be over within six months
>Take four years despite an army twice the size (2,100,000 vs. 1,064,000), and against an opponent with no navy, little manufacturing or infrastructure
>United States army vs. some poor farmers
>Union deaths: 360,000
>Confederate deaths: 260,000

Truly a compelling win.

>watching the twilight zone, a show written by an ultra-liberal
>a few episodes depict confederates
>they're portrayed like humans
what the fuck happened

>slave-owning americans fighting a war of independence against britain is okay
>slave-owning confederates fighting a war of independence against the usa is evil

Hmmmmmm

ps advance the flag of dixie

youtube.com/watch?v=7XVsEVW4x_Q

>burn the south down
>cripple it for years to come
>yankees continue to move there to this day to mess with southern votes

No and no, just nope.

>ywn be a proud southerner and fly the Confederate flag in an all white town in the deep south with your pals
>yw always always be trapped in a boring shithole in the midwest with zero culture
Shit

The American Left has gone batshit insane over the past couple of decades.

cool, thanks for the worthless fucking input

both sides have desu

There is no issue, but because some stormcuck shot up a church full of niggers and owned said flag some places stopped selling them and cuck politicians had them taken down.

>leaving a union they voluntarily joined in the first place
>traitors

>it was literally flown by traitors

But user the USA was literally founded by traitors. Americans of all people should have no problem with traitors.

I wish both sides could be more rational and gentlemenly. I guess that's a sexist thing to say now though.

>try to destroy the country
>not traitors

It truly boils down to 'did you win the war?'

Had the Confederacy won, Jefferson Davis and crew would be national heroes in that country today, and Lincoln would undoubtedly be considered one of the worst Presidents in U.S. history.

the rebel flag is a white supremacist symbo-

>try to destroy the country
the CS had literally no intention of destroying the US. This is like saying the UK wants to destroy the EU. Stop being retarded.

They wanted to leave a union they VOLUNTARILY joined. The US used to be referred to these United States. And like the Canadian said our whole damn country was founded by rebels.

>This is like saying the UK wants to destroy the EU. Stop

Fine, have some better input

>the US was perfectly willing to allow slavery to continue if the CS just gave up the fight.
Only the democrats, who had lost almost all political power anyway with the loss if the southern voter base. The Republicans would never have settled for a status quo situation.
>The only reason why they ended up freeing any of them was as a late-war tactic to cripple the Southern economy.
They drafted following Union victories in early 1862, mostly because they didn't want slaves acting as military camp followers for the CSA and because they wanted to use the issue to stop Europe from recognising the CSA. However, as a result of the timing Lincoln's cabinet feared it would look like a "cry for help...our last shriek, on the retreat. And, so it was put off until a sizeable Union victory could be won. Simce this was the same time Lee was just warming up at Manassas tgat would end up taking some time.

If the South had won, it would have been in spite of Jefferson Davis, not because of him. He was a terrible President no matter what outcome his generals may have delivered in whatever timeline.

wow, I didn't know Lincoln was a Democrat.

OK now that was pretty ignorant from him southerners only started voted republican during Nixon's run for presidency the famous "southern strategy"

>splitting the union wouldnt have been bad

>Only the democrats, who had lost almost all political power anyway with the loss if the southern voter base. The Republicans would never have settled for a status quo situation.
Lincoln's stated war goal was to preserve the union and nothing else. The Union also included several states in which slavery was legal at that time. This is complete and utter fake news.

It hurts Yank's little sensitive feelings because of >muh slavery

>And 6 of the top 10 are Union states.
Feels good, man.
By the way, I would hardly count Florida as part of the Confederacy. Yes, they seceded, but they barely did anything and almost nobody lived there until the 1920s.

This is so based.

Unamerican

Who wants to be american in this day and age? Brown mulatto spic shithole desu.

niggers

The difference is that Bavaria started out as its own thing. The CSA flag is literally a traitorous symbol, I'm frankly quite surprised so many self-labelled "patriots" fly it so often.

As a Southerner, I have more Confederate flags than American flags. I fly it with pride, and nobody will ever persuade me otherwise.
>Inb4 trailer trash, redneck etc....
You have no idea what kind of people you are talking about, it's just a buzzword given to Southerners. I come from a upper middle class family that is highly educated. Having a regional flag is no different than in the UK, like the Yorkshire flag regardless of historical context.

Flag of traitors

>The difference is that Bavaria started out as its own thing.
do you think the South only began existing when the Civil War happened or something?

Brits could say the same about the American flag.

I live in the south you're all annoying

>"I come from a upper middle class family that is highly educated."
>"I fly [the Confederate flag] with pride, and nobody will ever persuade me otherwise."

I don't have a problem with it, but the people who fly it or are obsessed with it are 9/10 times poor racist white trash, rednecks, or dumb hicks. I wouldn't really want to be associated with them, but as long as they don't hurt or annoy anybody they can fly it to their hearts desire.

You bunch of rednecks started out under the same roof as the yanks. If you want to be compared to Bavaria then maybe you should have made up your own nation right from the get go.

Otherwise the South remains as the region of the US with an irrational sense of entitlement.

A flag that belonged to a bunch of losers.

t. Mexican intellectual

>Mexican trying to call people rednecks
into the trash your post goes

At least the South was honest about being racists

>when the guy that mows my lawn calls me a redneck

You do realize you just called me white?