Radiohead are going to take legal action against lana del rey because Get Free is a Creep rip off

radiohead are going to take legal action against lana del rey because Get Free is a Creep rip off

nme.com/news/music/radiohead-reportedly-suing-lana-del-rey-copyright-infringement-2214917?utm_content=manual&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nme

i honestly thought it was a creep cover when i listened to it the first time, so which side are you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HydvceA1PAI
youtube.com/watch?v=v5RHix-7V5E
youtu.be/i4CizysdvhU
youtube.com/watch?v=dLHtV_S2HZw
youtube.com/watch?v=a9uL315xak8
youtube.com/watch?v=PzDupYdobnU
youtube.com/watch?v=ayNljo-DQTs
youtube.com/watch?v=ogIbLaPSiY0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Creep's just a rip-off of The Air That I Breathe anyway:
youtube.com/watch?v=HydvceA1PAI
Albert Hammond deserves those royalties desu

but radioheads creep is a ripoff of that one song by the hollies.

won't work
you can't copyright chord progressions

Legally, perhaps, but nowadays you can get royalties just by two songs having the same "feel" as each other after that Blurred Lines case

>we hate creep its our worst song
lana del rey: ok how about i adapt the chord progression into a better song
>HOW DARE YOU STEAL CREEP FROM US ROASTIE!!! REEEEE

Pathetic.

No one would mind the same chord progression if the song wasn't such boring crap.

>the most memorable part of Creep was the chord progression
LMAO
M
A
O
Leave Lana alone Thom you cuck

having the same "feel" as each other
man thats fucking retarded wtf

ITT: waifufags

It's a carbon copy.

youtube.com/watch?v=v5RHix-7V5E

when people call someone out for copying i song , in 90% of cases i dont really see it as ripping of , certain similarities sure but nothing serious.

this is like a really blatant ripoff lmao

Hopefully they sue Sam Smith too
youtu.be/i4CizysdvhU

separated at birth

Holy shit. Did she think this was ok? I cringe when I come up with something that resembles and existing progression or phrase. She just changed the lyrics to an existing song.

2. "Creep" (Radiohead, Albert Hammond & Mike Hazlewood[34])

"Creep" shares a chord progression and melody with "The Air That I Breathe", a 1972 song recorded by the Hollies.[9][10] The song's writers Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood sued and received cowriting credits and a percentage of the song's royalties.[11] According to Hammond, "Radiohead agreed that they had actually taken it ... Because they were honest they weren't sued to the point of saying 'we want the whole thing'. So we ended up just getting a little piece of it."[12]

Thom is just mad because Lana is towers over him

Chad Yorke

Every time something like this happens I wonder how exactly anyone can prove a song is a "ripoff" and the artist owns the "original"'s author royalties. Because it's perfectly possible for multiple musicians to independently come up with the exact same chord progression and a very similar (or identical) melody over it, especially if it's a simple, mostly or exclusively diatonic pop song. Unless you openly admit having stolen it there should be no way to prove you did it. Or does this imply every musician should be acquainted with every single song ever written and actively avoid sounding too much like any of them? Because that sounds so very doable.

Lana is unironically superior to anything Radiohead ever did

mfw she nicked the album title too

Go to bed Anal

>you can steal my car, I don't really like it to be honest
L O G I C

mfw even the song title is ripped, from The Vines

How can she rip off someone else's music when all of her songs sound exactly the same?

Who cares, they're millionaires. This makes them look petty

Waifufags BTFO.

Hope she loses millions.

Its about the principle, women are becoming too entitled nowadays and need to be put in their place.

Oh well okay then, that's perfectly reasonable

this desu

yeah!!!! that'll show em!!!!

Thought I was the only one who remembered those guys
I'M GONNA GET FREEEEE

Stop whining.

I really don't even hear it.

Im sorry, it appears you have made a mistake in your post

Lana fans getting their panties in a bunch and acting tone deaf (most of them probably are) is pretty funny

It really is

You guys are retarded the article says that they literally denied any suit claims.

yeah this sounds a lot like creep

Coincidences can happen, but they could argue the extreme mainstream success of Creep and that it is very unlikely (especially for a "90s kid" like Lana) to not have heard the song

>reading it
Lol

I wonder if Faust and Can or Aphex Twin are going take legal action against Radiohead too

how many people in this thread do you think will watch this?

Only because they're trying to settle it behind the scenes first, most comments still apply

Is this the real reason Thom doesn't like it?

Give me an Aphex Twin song that was ripped off by radiohead
>inb4 all of them

>Thom is assblasted that someone took the chord progression from one of their worst songs and made it into a decent song
woah

>decent

someone needs to get Lana a cup of espresso

"Inspired by" is not the same as "ripped off"; otherwise Thom would sink literally every brit band post 97

youtube.com/watch?v=dLHtV_S2HZw
Im with you in that, Lana didnt ripped off, she just inspired by that.

"It’s true about the lawsuit. Although I know my song wasn’t inspired by Creep, Radiohead feel it was and want 100% of the publishing - I offered up to 40 over the last few months but they will only accept 100. Their lawyers have been relentless, so we will deal with it in court."

shes fucked

Ethan please, stop it right now man.

lmao

not necessarily just aphex twin

youtube.com/watch?v=a9uL315xak8
youtube.com/watch?v=PzDupYdobnU

youtube.com/watch?v=ayNljo-DQTs
youtube.com/watch?v=ogIbLaPSiY0

>On 10 February 1971, Bright Tunes filed suit against Harrison and associated organisations, alleging copyright infringement of the late Ronnie Mack's song "He's So Fine"

>While comparing the two compositions, author and musicologist Dominic Pedler writes that both songs have a three-syllable title refrain ("My sweet Lord", "He's so fine") followed by a 5-3-2 descent of the major scale in the tonic key (E major for "My Sweet Lord" and G major for "He's So Fine"); respective tempos are similar: 121 and 145 beats per minute.[99] In the respective B sections ("I really want to see you" and "I dunno how I'm gonna do it"), there is a similar ascent through 5-6-8, but the Chiffons distinctively retain the G tonic for four bars and, on the repeat of the motif, uniquely go to an A-note 9th embellishment over the first syllable of "gonna".[53] Harrison, on the other hand, introduces the more complex harmony of a relative minor (C#m), as well as the fundamental and distinctly original slide-guitar motif.[53]

>Bright Tunes Music v. Harrisongs Music finally went to the United States district court on 23 February 1976, to hear evidence on the allegation of plagiarism.[18][101] Harrison attended the proceedings in New York, with a guitar, and each side called musical experts to support its argument.[97] After reconvening in September 1976, the court found that Harrison had "subconsciously" copied the earlier tune, since he admitted to having been aware of the Chiffons' recording.[104] Judge Richard Owen said in his conclusion to the proceedings:[105]

>Did Harrison deliberately use the music of He's So Fine? I do not believe he did so deliberately. Nevertheless, it is clear that My Sweet Lord is the very same song as He's So Fine with different words, and Harrison had access to He's So Fine. This is, under the law, infringement of copyright, and is no less so even though subconsciously accomplished.

1 0 0 % o f p u b l i s h i n g

>I stole my car but I don't really like it to be honest. No wait... no one can make or have any kind of car like mine!

But Get Free is better than shitty Creep.

thom yorke should have offed himself after amnesiac

great video. very interesting.
a little off topic, but he mentions 'standards', as in jazz standards, can someone explain this to me more?

Prince is not covering Radiohead here. He is, rather, making “Creep” a Prince song, which is to say he is bringing it within the Prince scheme of rhetoric. This is not merely an instrumental thing, nor even a stage gesture thing, though the gesturing offstage is pretty great. The particular moment it happens is at the end of the second verse.

thanks for this user

the biggest news here is that Thom has to acknowledge that “Creep” exists desu

he played it at coachella last year

They played it at glastonbury too

its really to bad lana didn't steal this song in 2000 because thom and the gang wouldn't have given a single shit about it then

check twitter for some toastie roasties and homos

The song really sounds alike, the beginning and the intonation of the singing. I doubt it's actually the band suing but the publishers smelling money.

i was happy to get no surprises and karma police at Lolla ‘15, had heard they played it at a smaller surprise show once after AMSP

Nice video but its wrong cause blurred lines was only the groove of a marvyn gaye song and it was successfully sued for copyright infringing