Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rXYYpBts5Kc
youtube.com/watch?v=yzP4kQhlPBY
youtube.com/watch?v=c52f5yUjmDc
youtube.com/watch?v=9HglphdXqMg
theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2009/may/12/coldplay-yusuf-islam
youtube.com/watch?v=TMD3nUd_CtE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hope they don't win it. The only similarity is the chord progression and if they win it sets a dangerous precedent.

Plus didn't radiohead get sued by the hollies for creep being a copy of their song anyway?
youtube.com/watch?v=rXYYpBts5Kc

sounds pretty similar
when i first heard the song i couldnt believe she was allowed to release it without crediting them
like when Beyonces producers credited AnCo for a line that most likely had nothing to do with them just to be sure its ok

also the chorus of the song kinda sounds like The One That Got Away by Katy Perry (which coincidentally namedrops Radiohead for some reason)

Why did she offer 40% if she didn't copy them

I love radiohead but this is a dick move. They got sued for the same thing by the hollies, and if anything they should be trying to forget that fucking song, not suing other people for it,

u r dum

kek the melody is exactly the same? lol?
how d are you LANA

I honestly thought Radiohead was biting Pixies "Where is my Mind" with Creep. They both use the minor iv instead of a major one ( I believe creep also uses a major III instead of a minor iii).

They stole the Air That I Breathe

Yeah I absolutely hear that now, more so than Pixies. Either way, these are really popular progressions in general.

Pablo Honey is better than the Bends

Hi lana del gay

Pablo Honey is better than any other Radiohead album

They also basically copied the beatles' sexy sadie with karma police

The chorus part is completely different though.
Also, it's not like Creep is some super original composition either.

Agreed

either bait or you're handicapped

Yeah I have heard that, I do like both songs and think they have both have merit though.

Wrong both times.

youtube.com/watch?v=yzP4kQhlPBY

You're a 32 year old professional musician and you claim any similarity between this and the song dominating the airwaves through your childhood is coincidental? Fuck out of here Lana.

come on it is not like she has anything to do with the music that producers forced her to sing to

SUPPORT LANA

Is lana a creep, Sup Forums?

>She is obligated to care about third-rate Britpop because she is 32

She's a weirdo.

Why

>Reddit Head
>Lana Del Reddit

Whoc CaeraEs?

to be fair, lana del rey is a corporate tool and probably doesn't have any input in writing her songs

The melody is very similar also

I'm a Lana fan but Get Free sounds similar.

but what's the point of suing her for a song that probably earns $5 each week...

Is neil young going to sue for the lyrics too?

youtube.com/watch?v=c52f5yUjmDc
Watch from 6:32 to the end. Lana Del Rey is a joke.

Teaching a spoiled brat she can't get away with anything

the verses do sound really similar, but fuck radiohead for this shitty attitude. smug cunts, you make pop music too, get off your high horse

they literally copied "the air that I breath"

Oh, fuck off Thom. This is shitty. Thom hates that song, he has directly stated it's a ripoff of the Hollies, and he has nothing to gain by suing her for copying this song.

Since when did Thom become an asshole?

>implying what he is talking about didn't apply to Radiohead from day 1

Non-British people who don't understand how bands get famous here are funny

Tell me more about how britpop was pushed by the government, Kevin.

>defending Lana del gay
Go back to picking the cum out of your crosleys

>defending Lana
This isn't about defending Lana, it's about criticising somebody for being a hypocrite and a petty asshole.

Are you ok? Need help?

'Interesting' moral system, it's okay to steal something that's already stolen?

There's no way radiohead are this litigious.

It will turn out Merlin [Beggars] is behind it and radiohead has nothing to do with it.....thom dicks on hip hop and sample culture so it doesn't make sense.

No. But Radiohead don't "own" those chords to begin with. So Radiohead suing Lana is asinine. Remember: they got sued for ripping off the Hollies and no longer have sole ownership of "Creep". For this suit to go in their favour, they would have to get Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood to back them up. They have no legal case otherwise.

Yeah, also this. Like, Thom has always been a bit bitter and cynical, and it's earned him this reputation as being an asshole (when I don't think he's an asshole for those reasons). But this is totally unlike him. This is true asshole behaviour and it's so uncharacteristic.

>literally generic chord progression
holy fuck what a crybabies

Based!

This is what happens when you get old

Hollies legally don't have anything to do with it. Although they released the most famous version of the song it's actually a cover of a Hammond solo version. The original version actually sounds a lot more like Creep.

youtube.com/watch?v=9HglphdXqMg

Lana was probably trying to rip off Nirvana but somehow ended up ripping off Radiohead who were also ripping off Nirvana, who were probably ripping off someone else to begin with

It's not just the chords you fat cunt the melody is almost exactly the same

maybe you're thinking of Stone Temple Pilots's song Creep, which is literally just Nirvana

>musicians claiming ownership to noises anyone can make
>musicians thinking they "own" a progression

Not to mention "Karma Police" and it's similarity to "Sexy Sadie", Beatles or not.

Being a fan of the band, I am somewhat disappointing by this action.

Lol this really does sound just like it

Just the intro is almost like Creep, but the rest is not.
The chourus of Lana is even more interesting desu.

I've read that she wrote that song for Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston or some shit like that

>suing over the order of air vibrations

Is this the nail in the coffin, has Yorke joing the "lost their edge" club with James Murphy

>Hollies legally don't have anything to do with it
They (Hammond and Hazlewood) have partial ownership of the song. They were given songwriting credits retroactively and now receive a portion of the royalties.

theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2009/may/12/coldplay-yusuf-islam

GIBS

based

To be fair, the tempo, layering, AND chord progression are all very similar. But the same goes for the Hollies version.

At what point does plagiarism become a legitimate legal argument if we use your philosophical framing? Anybody can make a note-for-note recreation of "Smoke On the Water", but it doesn't mean that slapping a new name on it and selling it as yours is a legally sound thing to do.

Hammond and Hazlewood are not part of The Hollies though, which was that user's point

Lana's song sounds more like Creep than Creep sounds like The Air That I Breathe, though

Yeah you're right, I overlooked that bit.

that's the basis for my issue with creative content licensing anyway
I understand it sort of needs to exist in order for people to make money fairly with their art/creative content, but I've only ever seen copyright laws fuck people over and protect those that the laws were supposed to snag in the first place

And paid for it

When did Radiohead and specially Thom become such cuckold Jew dick suckers?

>replacing words with reddit = comedy
Cringe.

Copyright law is imperfect, but in this (the "Smoke On the Water" speculative example I listed) case it's used to protect an artist's actual intellectual content.

This whole thing with Radiohead, Lana, and the guys who wrote the original song is a bit of a bungle. It's hard for me to take it seriously.

Yes the verse sound very similar.
But Radiohead was already successfully sued for plagiarism for that same song so that's a little awkward.
To be fair, it's probably their label XL that's trying to sue, they got the right of all radiohead songs.

Moondogs theme = Burn The Witch?

wow
this guy used to write for pitchfork?
what the fuck happened?

Wew Lad
How did you come to this conclusion?

No
youtube.com/watch?v=TMD3nUd_CtE

I hate how humans believe they have owndership to chord progressions that could have arisen centuries before their birth. Juts because they were born in the age of records and copyright do they feel especially original and sacred. I swear to god little pump will sue somebdy in the next 3 decades.

>mediocre band I don't care about vs. literal who I know nothing about

>Chris Ott
>anything but a guy with bad facial hair and shoddy opinions about music
O I am laffin

Then why did you clicked on this thread then replied... are you some kind of dumb person?

it looks like one of those before and after trans pictures

The only similarity is the pizzicato - col legno .

hey there fellow gays! haven't been here in a while but anyways
really can't believe they actually did that especially since they literally copied another song, lost the lawsuit and had to give them credit but it's fine get free is better than creep anyways and radiowho is cancelled anyways
lana was generous enough to offer them 40% when in reality they don't even deserve 5

and the fading in cymbals?

But she still has a penis in this picture --->

Why Lana isnt a musician?

I refuse to acknowledge fading cymbals in music.
They are dead to me.

0w0 whats this?

wtf I hate LDR now

i thought he hated Creep. This lawsuit is just gonna have everyone associate Radiohead with creep again and he'll have to release another Kid A to have people forget about it.

ultraviolence is better than most radiohead albums according to scaruffi

>t. radiohead's lawyer

I'm ok with that desu

isnt he already a millionaire? wehats he pereserving?

get free alone is better than everything rh's ever done but yes uv is a work of art
not quite

creep nicks more from The Air that I breath than this song nicks from Creep, that's all i'll say

XL Recording own radiohead's catalog and the right to all songs. They're the one suing.

The Air That I Breathe chord progression ends on a major chord, gives the song a completely different vibe than Creep IMO