Peter Jackson Is A Hack

>"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly. "The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."

>"They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully. "And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film."

Can we all agree now that the LOTR film trilogy is a cheap hollow husk with no artistic merit to it?

>They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully

Sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about, I'm sure his dad would have loved LotR.

It's just an adventure story.

Ungrateful old fuck. He should be thankful that it got adapted at all. Those movies are the only thing that made it relevant at all since the fucking seventies.

Sounds like he's extremely out of touch with the fanbase and has a rather shallow view of film in general.

Has this guy never seen a movie?

I get that he's trying to defend his father's work/legacy, but good god

He's just upset that he's a writer who'll never accomplish anything as great as his father.

>LotR
>philosophical impact
That's rich.

Also yes, the LotR films were always trash.

>Whether a visionary descent into hell can be rendered persuasively in language that is acutely self-conscious, even arch, seems to me the hard question. I am fond of The Hobbit, which is rarely pretentious, but The Lord of the Rings seems to be inflated, overwritten, tendentious, and moralistic in the extreme. Is it not a giant Period Piece?

>But there is still the burden of Tolkien’s style: stiff, false archaic, overwrought, and finally a real hindrance in Volume III, The Return of the King, which have had trouble rereading. At seventy-seven, I may just be too old, but here is The Return of the King, opened pretty much at random:

>“At the doors of the Houses many were already gathered to see Aragorn, and they followed after him; and when at last he had supped, men came and prayed that he would heal their kinsmen or their friends whose lives were in peril through hurt or wound, or who lay under the Black Shadow......so the name which it was foretold at his birth that he should bear was chosen for him by his own people.”

>I am not able to understand how a skilled and mature reader can absorb about fifteen hundred pages of this quaint stuff. Why “hurt or wound”; are they not the same? What justifies the heavy King James Bible influence upon this style? Sometimes, reading Tolkien, I am reminded of the Book of Mormon. Tolkien met a need, particularly in the early days of the counterculture in the later 1960s. Whether he is an author for the duration of the twenty-first century seems to me open to some doubt.

/lit/ pls go.

>action movie for young people aged 15 to 25
The books are young adult novels, too, for someone who's spent his life coasting on his father's work, it French seems like Christopher Tolkien hasn't even read the books.

>cheap hollow husk with no artistic merit to it
nope its good, not great but good.
hobbit is fucking awful tho

So a bastardized version of his works was made popular for the masses? That's something he should be proud of? Yea, I doubt it.

Based Harold Bloom.

I read LotR when I was 13. Who the fuck were they supposed to make the film for?

Jackson did a good job with LotR, Hobbit sucks though.

>LotR hating autist back at it again

Give it up user. People love Lord of the Rings.

>People love Lord of the Rings.
No they don't. They say they love it because everyone else says they love it.

lol, u dumb

The Fellowship of the ring is a really good movie the other two not so much and the Hobbit movies are trash but besides that saying LOTR are some kind of sophisticated literature is giving too much credit to Tolkien.

>artistic merit

Faggot detected.

nail-head

lol, u right

>15 to 25
more like 5-8, stupid old cunt

>They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25

What is he talking about? The books are also for children.