Hey kids born 1998 and later, what do you all listen to? what do your peers listen to...

hey kids born 1998 and later, what do you all listen to? what do your peers listen to? my sister's telling most of the people she knows are mostly into trap, including the advanced kids who are going to great schools. is indie THAT dead?

NO POLITICS PLS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=208llBGfElE
youtube.com/watch?v=3UGMDJ9kZCA
youtube.com/watch?v=5Wn85Ge22FQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4j7Umwfx60Q
youtube.com/watch?v=axVvZrDz60k
youtube.com/watch?v=kH6vgOQINRY&t=829s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have two friends that listen to shit like miles davis and the mountain goats, but yeah trap is mostly the norm now
[spoiler]i don't have very many friends though[/spoiler]

Yeezy, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, Taylor Swift, Tame Impala, Mac Demarco, King Gizzz, etc.

I am the only person I have ever met IRL who listens to indie music, or anything that isn't played on the radio. Yes, indie is that dead (born in 1999)

Literally nothing but trap and emo soundcloud rap.

>Flying Lotus, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, etc.
>One good friend listens to Lil Uzi Vert, Young Thug, Lil Wayne
>Multiple other friends listen to other rap artists like Nas, Tupac, etc.

>emo soundcloud rap
yikes

>tfw you lived long enough to see "emo rap" become a serious thing
This was something my friends and I used to joke about like ten years ago.

Does this surprise you?

i took the RYM digging-pill a long time ago so yes

Prog rock and all it's derivatives, like krautrock, zheul, canterbury, italian, ect. That's it.

Emo/Trap rap (lil peep,xxxtentacion, lil pump etc.) Arthoe shit (Clairo,Tyler, joji) and kpop.
t. Highschool senior

I listen to all the memes contained in the classical, jazz, folk and electronic/experimental departments.
Trap seems to be the norm, but where I live there are also a lot of metalheads.

Trap was big with tons of people in my high school. 21 Pilots was also big
I listen to punk/post-punk or "indie". What I listen to most is probably catchy, pop-influenced music like Kanye or Crying.

When lil peep died a girl in my AP calculus class took a week off from school.

I have a friend who only likes dad-rock, but only knows the singles. A couple friends are into music a little bit, enough to find music they like that normies wouldn't recognize anyway, and one has pretty similar taste as me.

Literally everybody on Sup Forums is like 15 years old, and a giant normie. If you want to know what kids like, just lurk here for a week.

>what do you all listen to
Can't really narrow down my taste. I'm into Psychedelic Rock, Blues Rock and Experimental Rock the most, but there's not a single genre I despise.

>what do your peers listen to
My friends mainly listen to whatever's in the charts or compilations (e.g. best house music compilation january 2018)

>Literally everybody on Sup Forums is like 15 years old, and a giant normie. If you want to know what kids like, just lurk here for a week.
That's what newfags that have been here for about 3 days think

youtube.com/watch?v=208llBGfElE

ill list some bands and songs i like chocolate rain the runaways the Jackson 5 skrillex the touch baby metal queen my favourite song is i want you back by the Jackson 5

I've been here for 8 years and the quality of this board has declined steadily every year, mate. There are literally threads about Taylor Swift and Drake and Twenty-One Pilots and awful soundcloud mumble rap almost every day now. You would have been ridiculed mercilessly for posting that shit a few years ago.
Also, next there's some collaborative Sup Forums effort that requires anons to work together for a common goal, check out people's social media profiles. I remember seeing a bunch of Sup Forumstants' twitter accounts about two years ago, and they were literally all 15 and 16 years old.

My gf was born in '98 and she likes stuff like Tame Impala, Babe Rainbow, Mac Demarco, King Krule etc...
I'm born in 1990 and I'm the one that listens to trap, although grime is more of my thing.
I'm glad that we can post about japanese music without having the ANIME EXPERT meme spammed at us but other than that yes this place gets worse every year, like everywhere on the internet. Just wait until Indians start posting here.
Also that said you should have seen how fucking pleb this board was when it was created.

The vast majority of people I know listen to the music on Spotify Global Top/Viral 50. My roommate and closest friend listens to a worrying amount of Ed Sheeran, but I am feeding him gripspills and slowly getting him to listen to Sup Forumscore and pitchfork-core.

If that were true, there wouldn't be too many reminiscing threads about some old trip as there are. Most of those threads are people shitting on them, have you actually opened any of them? All those Lil Peep threads were about shitting on him and gen Z.

There's a shitload of failed adults in here, and this board's turn to ever increasing cynicism and desperation shows it.

Unironically 2000 here, Its legal to post now and I will voice my experience.
People listen to whatever is popular atm, trance rap, drake, lil pump and shit alike is very popular, edm is still popular too and there are some dudes who are starting to find indie shit like Clairo amusing.
With this in mind, the majority of people my age just listen to whatever is playing in the radio or some normalfag band like Coldplay or whatever, Its rare to find someone that has expanded their horizons and went on to seek out different music and such.
Just so you have an idea, Pink Floyd is considered obscure nowadays by the average joe, and I know some people mention indie stuff and vaporwave and while these genres are gaining traction thanks to ironic self depreciating teens, they are still in the minority.
At the same time there are a lot of well educated people too so its really down to personal experience I would say.
Also, I know one dude who listens to Mac DeMarco and he thinks he is cool and intellectual and most people think he is also cool and intellectual because Mac DeMarco is yet to be turned mainstream here.

97, close enough
Most of my friends like trap and emo trap, EDM, and some really basic “alternative” and indie pop. Some older stuff but only cherry picked singles from a few acts here and there that you’d here on an oldies radio. Some of my friends like early 2000s pop punk and emo pop too so they can dig some of my taste but as for more experimental, heavy or anything remotely emotional that’s not a pop or trap song is right out

a lot of people younger than me tend to gravitate towards stuff like Mac Demarco, Death Grips, Tame Impala, $uicide Boy$, XXXtentatacion, La Dispute, TWIABP, etc.

I was born in 97 but I love Bones, Ghostemane, Lil Peep, Between the Buried & Me, King Crimson, Slint, Genesis, Yes, Volumes, Liturgy, Deafheaven, Beartooth, Borgore, Skrillex,, Candiria, Code Orange, Emmure, Issues, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Panopticon, Shining, Slug Christ, Steven Wilson, Lil Tracy, Wicca Phase, Weezer, Vildhjarta, Tommy Cash, Xavier Wulf, Archive, Carnifex, Cattle Decapitation, The Contortionist, Crimewave (rapper), Death Grips, Frank Zappa, and Hail the Sun.

>1999 birth
In both high school (mid-sized, borderline rural) and college (mid- to upper-tier engineering), most people are indeed into trap. My friends are into Linkin Park and the like. I occasionally see people with classic rock (Pink Floyd, Beatles) indie rock (Radiohead, Bon Iver, Sigur Ros) apparel too.

mods please delete this thread

That’s a hell of an age gap.

?

Sounds like an ironic meme from the beginning to the end. Couldn't help but laugh.

I listen to ambient and anco but the default music now is hip hop, if you're in a car with someone and you don't know what they like you just put on like chance or thugger

Its not though, Its just my experiences though so its not the same for everyone.

I've seen kids have a collective taste in music in my area, like a good portion of them are normies that will listen to occassional classic rock and then you have the (shit you not) wiggers that listen to trap rap and a few indie idiots here and there.

Indie or rock isn't dead where i'm at but its not as "le trendy" as trap rap is though.

I guarantee you though trap rap will probably live as long as nu-metal did, some artists will survive but almost every artist you hear will most likely get fucked in the ass by time.

Born in 2000
My peers mostly listen to the typical trap stuff and Tyler, Frank Ocean and the like
If not that then it's grime, house or pop punk and nu-metal depending on the people
My friend is into Ariel Pink and other "alt-normie" music for lack of a better term, that seems to be the most pervasive stuff among people my age who are more into music than the average person.
I listen to DS, Memphis rap, art rock, first-wave post-rock and some noise rock and post-punk mostly.
Other than that just assorted Sup Forumscore

whens ur bday

Jan 1st of course :^)

NO user ITS A TRAP

meh it's not as big as like, half of all celebrity couples

The top tier in my friend group are The Beach Boys and Can. Other big ones are Outkast, Miles Davis and Joao Gilberto.

Aphex Twin, Death Grips, Grimes, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Crying, Radiohead, The Avalanches, The White Stripes, etc.

You have horrible taste in metal please don’t visit the general

my sister's in middle school and talks about how a bunch of her friends listen to kpop sometimes, sh mostly listens to dad rock though

Modest Mouse, Swirlies, Unwound, Gizzard, Duster, Polvo, Machine Girl

Rock is fucking extinct.
I grew up on hip-hop and most of my make friends did too. Girls listen to art shit and top 40.

Born May 1999

..are you me?

i was born in '98, i like classic jazz, classical music (specifically the romantic era and 20th century), celtic music, new wave, trip hop, and various 90s/2000s alternative artists. the list could go on cause i listen to a weird range of shit.

Where are you from?

I'm 19 years old, born 98. Male. Used to listen to primarily rock. Now i listen to a mixture of hiphop, rock, electronic
and experimental. My closest friends have pretty similar tastes. My gf like doesn't a lot of the "weird" stuff I like.

97 fag here. I unironically don't even know what trap is.

trap or anything else that sounds good coming out of car speakers while high

Born 2000 (1st Jan so don't panic) and most of my friends listen to shitty music like "$uidide Boy$" or other shit like that. Kind of 'black people music' for lack of better terms. Never liked it desu

june 1998
a lot of my friends listen to grime, memerap and trap. one of them loves billie eilish, a few of them like brockhampton, most of them listen to frank ocean cause i turned them onto him. none of them browse Sup Forums. my favourite albums are spiderland, are we not men we are devo and honestly anything by angel olsen
this guy is right but he says it like a smug cunt

>Also, I know one dude who listens to Mac DeMarco and he thinks he is cool and intellectual and most people think he is also cool and intellectual because Mac DeMarco is yet to be turned mainstream here.
this is hilarious

without sounding like a basic bitch, i pretty will listen to anything (except reggae and nu-country). My friends are the same, but most of them prefer rap.

Some are into mu-core type shit, some are into triple j type stuff (indie/rock Australian shit) some are into rap and there are a few of the plebby people who like trap and top 40 . I'd probably say indie is actually the most popular type of music among my piers.
Maybe trap hasn't hit Australia as hard as it has in america? Or maybe my view is just distorted from the norm.

1999 child here,in a music appreciation class I'm in the teacher played a bluegrass banjo based song and one my classmates who is heavily into the emo soundcloud rap literally covered his ears. and I cringed

>music appreciation class

we also learn guitar in it for a semester, that's what attracted me.

8 years ain't that bad m8 seen worse

wait, young people unironically listen to kpop?

Perfect thread for me, i turned 18 yesterday so i have experience with this. Kids i know just listen to whatever's on the hip-hop radio station around here or soundcloud rappers, with very rare variation. I'm more into whatever damon albarn puts out or japanese acts like puffy amiyumi or the pillows so i'm kinda an outcast to my peers musically.

I was born in 1999, here's my chart.

You think kpop general is a joke my man, they're mentally ill

Unfortunately I have 2 younger sisters (2002,2005) and there rooms are decorated in kpop merch and posters Also at my highschool we have a "kpop club" and its the most popular non athletic club (50-70 members).

It isn't all bad though
youtube.com/watch?v=3UGMDJ9kZCA

youtube.com/watch?v=5Wn85Ge22FQ

youtube.com/watch?v=4j7Umwfx60Q

youtube.com/watch?v=axVvZrDz60k

1992 and a lot of those albums are in my top 100 too

nice generic Sup Forums spoon fed taste

post your top 100 faggot

>implying it's bad because it's /mucore/. I'm always looking for new stuff if you wanna reccomend me stuff I should listen to go ahead, but insulting someone's chart because it has albums popular on Sup Forums and calling it /mucore/ is essentially the, "educate yourself shitlord" of music discussion.

normie but generally not trap hip hop and a little indie rock
when I was a middle schooler I loved EDM but nah not anymore

Yea do it, faggot

reppin 1998 over here forever jamming to this rn: youtube.com/watch?v=kH6vgOQINRY&t=829s Usually I just listen to trap/rap tho, Biggie, Vince Staples, Lil Peep, so on...

>puffy amiyumi
i loved their cartoon

This thread made me clasp my cane even closer to my chest in self defense.

I got back to watching the show after over a decade of not seeing it (cartoon network acts like it never happened) and it's adorable, so i got into their music on the side and loved it.

Metalheads are awful. I know because I used to be one. These are artists I can actually tolerate.
I don't visit because it's always the same borderline autists who can't handle anything outside of 90's DM or BM.

75% trap (lil peep, pump, yachty)
20% pop
5% punk (a lot of alternative and edgy kids like skaters eat that shit up, this includes sublime and even dad-rock like ramones)

And yes, even kids going to really nice schools who are intelligent listen to fucking emo rap. It's inescapable. I want out.

t. 18 year old in high school wondering where it all went wrong

"dad-rock like ramones"
Please lurk more

not the poster, but the Ramones have t-shirts in the dad-rock section of Hot Topic so thats good enough for me.

ramones isnt really dad rock but my dad listens to it so

I live in a “rural” area so there’s a few country music fans (mostly white girls) but they aren’t dedicated to one genre. Most people listen to trap or R&B or other nigger music. A few “alt” people listen to indieshit like tame impala or shit like that.

same down to a T except the alt people listen to anything rock related with varying opinions

The 2nd song is trash all the others are pretty ok and the music videos are all nice maybe kpop isn't that bad after all.

What's more impressive to me is that young people unironically listen to joji

t. mid 1998

my close friends have a pretty wide spread of music tastes
My normalfag peergroup generally listens to whatever shit rap album is flavor of the month plus girls listen to tasteless top 40 pop
My friends in the army are Virginia and Carolina normalfags so replace the pop with garbage modern country music

Born in '99, dont remember 9/11

This is my last fm, been scrobbling for a little over 4 months

I was born in the wrong generation.

In what generation were you born user?

probably tylo be chillin

lana del ray type shit & trap is the norm

Trap is all the rage nowadays, Betrayed - Lil Xan is pretty good desu

Some kids [spoiler]The kind of weird ones[spoiler] listen to Tyler the Creator/ Mac Demarco/ Cuco etc

Lot of Seattle music. Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and all the supergroups they formed. Been getting into Neil Young recently as well as some stuff by Led Zeppelin

born in 2000

I'm 18, but I've been a Sup Forums user since I was like 14, so my taste is in no way indicative of what the average person my age listens to

Can anyone tell me where I can find those supposed alt-normies who listen to stuff like the talking heads?