Nuclear War Thread 2

Last thread died and people seemed interested in continuing discussion of what to do in a nuclear attack.

This is the FEMA certified Emergency Manager, Timo, from the last thread. I have credentials from FEMA for Shelter Management, Nuclear/Fallout Survival and Mitigation, and Radiological Disasters amongst many others.

I'm no longer affiliated with the Government and my certs are outdated, but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Are you prepared to shelter in place for two weeks? That's the maximum time it takes for gamma radiation to fall to safe levels to go out of doors for more than 15-20 minutes.

So, let's talk about what to do during the ultimate "happening."

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90th_Missile_Wing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/91st_Missile_Wing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/341st_Missile_Wing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W87)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No one?

ok i'll bite. i live in houston. what would the main targets be?

Soviet and Russian doctrine is to take out Government installations (including state capitals), power stations, military installations in a primary wave, following up with destruction of major industrial installations (manufacturing and foundries) along with major financial centers.

As for Houston itself, I don't know what exactly (NASA would be a likely target). My training was for Michigan.

doddamned yooper

I seem to live in that orgy of triangles.
What can I do to protect myself and my family? Something tells me an AR-15 can't help me here.
Should I buy those iodine tablet things?

Ja, former Yooper. Live close enough to an industrial target in the LP that I would be in the 5 psi over-pressure ring (completely leveling a brick house) of a 400 kT or greater warhead going off over the steel mill.

Round Lake Beach?

Close. Fox Lake.

That map us from the 80s and is retarded.

This same map has been bait on Sup Forums for atleast 6 years now.

Yea let's destroy all the big non military ports..............

Iodine is not a bad "prepper" item to have.

Try to have 2 weeks of food, about 2500 calories per person per day and a gallon of water per person per day.

Should it look like war is coming, building a shelter in the center of your basement out of tables and shielding it with books on top and whatever you can around it to shield you from the radiation is a quick and "better than nothing" shelter. You can make a "doorway" with two 90 degree bends to allow egress to a toilet. Do not leave the shelter for more than a few minutes a day, listening for the all clear via a crank or battery radio. Two weeks is likely if nukes are near you.

I live in San Bernardino County CA. Any safeish place to go?

>,fw I thought detroit was safe because it was over run by blacks
>It gets 10 nukes.
Fuck

I don't have a current map and the one I trained on was "confidential." Never claimed this one to be updated, but I should have stated that also.

Are you the faggot that keeps making these posts pretending to be me?

I posted on /sci/ and Sup Forums before proving my certifications and some people are copy catting me.

I am, but would rather not.

People who go to burning man are going to have all of this stuff in their house, prepped and ready to go all the time anyway.

I live in AZ, my house does not have a basement (nobody does around here, since it would require blasting through rock). What should I do to avoid fallout in the days immediately following a nuclear attack?

I already have a generator, water, and food for everybody that lives here for at least 2 weeks (this is our leftover canned/bottled stuff for burning man).

>tfw DC

Fuck, why do all the good jobs have to be in or near major cities? I work in the tech sector and it's hard to live innawoods in my field.

I would have to work a shit tier low paying job if I didn't want to live in a giant nuclear bullseye.

No amount of food or ammo stockpiling is going to save me from a 300 kt airburst going off less than a mile away.

I have never posted a thread like this before. I am just me. You FEMA too?

Detroit can be tooled to produce war materiel, still. Steel mills, Rouge Plant, transport hub from and to Canada.

Not sure of physically safe places in SB. If you have a basement, the best bet is to shelter there. Traffic would be nuts if a warning were issued and you'd just die in your car.

>gets 10 nukes

Would probably make it look better desu

Being about 30 minutes away from the Center of Birmingham, AL, would the radiation be a bigger threat than the blast itself? and for how long before open air would be "Safe"?

Yeah I have a strong inclination you are not actually FEMA trained or DHS trained.

What were your cert titles?

Unless you were trained in the 80s or earlier you are lying.

First strike is missle defence and ready icbms. Second strike will be conventional forces. After this strike is done there will likely be a lull. Especially by russia. Why would they want to destroy ny, la, or houston? They are major ports connected to all the freways and are comunation hubs.

The map is retarded. It is not what would happen at this point.

Would mountains be safe? Would deserts be safe?

Yeah this guy is lying. If he doesn't tell me his cert titles then I know he is lying.

What is the possibility of enemy nukes being programmed to launch days/weeks/months after a massive exchange to kill survivors once they have left their fallout shelters?

Guy with actual certs here. Zero.

The point is not to kill everyone on Earth. What would anyone gain from that?

I'd think living in the mountains would be good as long as you are far from any strategic targets. They provide some shielding from blast/heat and probably fallout.

Here in Italy we have several targets for Russian nuclear warheads, mostly US military bases and Italian navy bases.
It's safe to assume that even if 10 warheads were detonated our country will simply cease to exist.
Here, another cool map if you're interested.

If war seemed likely, you could dig a dirt shelter. Dig a hole, put boards on top of them and cover it with the hole dirt (at least 2 feet).

There's instructions online how to do this. It's not the best but if you have no alternative, it's better than nothing.

Radiological/Nuclear Awareness Trainer, Infrastructure Security and Resilience, Emergency Manager Accreditation, Hazardous Mitigation, and many others.

I was trained 1999-2003.

Not for every city, I mean. Just a few special cities like NY, DC, LA?

Would seem like a pretty good way of further fucking with the minds of your adversary to have him know a second strike could come anytime after the first.

Is Redding in Northern California at risk? I can't think of anything up here worth nuking aside from being a small city.

WTF is in Montana and North Dakota that the Russians want to nuke back to the stone age so badly?

Modern weapons would kill everyone in a city. Virtually zero chance of survival given the power of the newer weapons.

I live in NYC and I have run through many scenarios. A small device wouldn't kill everyone but a ICBM would kill everyone many times over.

The use of these weapons are beyond human comprehension, if they were ever used, there would be no need for a second strike.

Your strategic nuclear silos.
Which is why they're excluded in the second strike scenario since they all left the base.

How many individual warheads would be sent to a city like NYC?

How will Atlanta fair? Also are warnings suppose to be issued?

I live in Northern Colorado near the bottom black dot north of Denver and if nukes started flying should I bug out to the mountains or head southeast? I live 10 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park. I also have multiple hunting spots in the mountains. I also have a lot of survival gear into backpacks including a 10/22 with 100 rounds in each bag, bullet reloading gear in my vehicle, 3 compound bows for family, and water filters. I also have 3 days of canned goods in each backpack. Would I have advance Warning?

How about a storm (Tornado) shelter? Safe?

I'm in Lombard

>north dakota
>montana
>wyoming
y tho

More people need to get the flag extender script.

This is speculation of course, because no one really knows. We also have some interception devices over major populations.

The point is one weapon would wipe out all six boroughs and some of New Jersey.

The weapons are hundreds or thousands of times stronger than Hiroshima.

The only way to survive in NYC would be to hide in subway at maximum distance (close to long Island) assuming one weapon hit at central park.

Even my home in New Jersey would be knocked off its foundation.

The absolute first thing is the other side's icbms after the defense.

Major cities are best to capture. If you can kill the adversaries icbm retaliations then his normsl troops then you can just sail into their cities.

Most people in this thread are subscribing to very old ideas.

Wait I live in hartselle Alabama..would I die?

Phoenix, Arizona here. How screwed am I?

I live about 20 miles out of Boston, MA. Would I just be dead anyway from the strike since I'm so close, or could I survive? And is it taping your windows what you're supposed to do to stop radiation leakage in from the windows?

Agreed, I am only saving flags from countries, when I run out of countries I will use the DLC and save extended flags

That's not what they want to do. If our ability to wage war is over, that's all they want.

Depends on where the fallout is carried. If you're downwind from a target, you're still going to have to deal with fallout and will need shelter.

You're concern would likely be fallout.

EAS would likely be activated. As for how well Atlanta would do, I couldn't say. It really would depend on what the enemy's goal was in an attack.

You would still need a fallout shelter. You don't want to be in the open when the fallout gets there.

If it's underground, it's better than nothing, but you'll need extra shielding in front of the door as it would not block gamma radiation.

The map is not correct, I just used it because it was the one I had on file.

Targets would likely be military and government in nature in a first strike.

I'm a certified lifeguard.

My advice is to buy a rifle, canned food, and fill your tub with water.

Okay I live in new zealand. Is there anything even worth targeting in a nuclear war?

I live in Huntsville, i already know im fucked. Would an underground tornado shelter help me?

How long would it take for EAS to be activated from the time the missiles start flying?

True.
Standard Soviet doctrine called for nuclear destruction of Verona and Vicenza in 1979. Now I'm quite sure they wouldn't bother with cities as long as they don't have nearby bases , silos or other military targets.
Man, the 80s were crazy times.
Basically every city in Europe, America and Russia was to be nuked.

florida would be toasted 1000x over, guess I should move to the eastern edges of Kansas? shieett

What are the nerds at Raytheon doing? Make a fucking capable interceptor, the GMD seems nice in theory

There are copper mines in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Are those safe?

How long would it take for the fallout to reach the ground?

Don't know. As the capital, it has a higher chance of being a target in a full scale nuclear war.

Depends on the yield of the nukes dropped, how many, and how many went off target. If you are 20 miles from ground zero, most likely you're going to live unless it's very large.

Gamma radiation will go through solid walls, taping won't do much except keep radioactive ash full of alpha and beta particles out.

I don't know about targets. Talking about IF an attack were to occur.

Better than nothing if it has at least 3 feet of soil over it, but the door would need extra shielding.

AWAKEN, YELLOWSTONE

I DON'T HAVE FOOD OR SUPPLIES FOR MORE THAN TWO DAYS

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

those are the buried ICBM launch complexes that are still operational.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90th_Missile_Wing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/91st_Missile_Wing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/341st_Missile_Wing

The US also has ICBMs in Ohio-class submarines. The US also has nuclear warheads for shorter range munitions (ALCMs, Tomahawks, etc)

So, the US has lots of nukes, but the black dots on the map are the ones that can't be moved...

>tfw I don't live particularly close to any of the blasts
I would get fucked by shock waves.
There's also a NASA base near here used for Navy Seal training. Not very good for us. Might be 15 miles away. No basement, no shelter

I think the warning time before the first impacts was said to be 15 minutes but I cannot be certain.

A deep mine would be a great shelter as long as it has an adequate air supply not letting contamination in.

If you're downwind from a bomb, survive and see the mushroom cloud, it will likely be at you within 30 minutes to an hour depending on the winds. Try to shelter asap, but if you need to gather shelter supplies, do it as fast as you can.

If you're far from a detonation, listen to the radio for fallout warnings and watch the sky.

Raleigh NC. What would happen?

I do know they nuked goldsboro but it didnt explode in the 60's

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash

>The weapons are hundreds or thousands of times stronger than Hiroshima

The weapons that are on active duty today usually have configurable yields, and, they tend to have much smaller yields than what the arms-race bombs of the 50s and 60s demonstrated.

A typical US warhead in a MIRV would be 400kt

(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W87)

The WW2 bombs were around 15-20KT.

So, modern warheads that are likely to be detonated are about 20-25 times as bad as the bombs dropped on Japan.

Also, because they are fusion bombs, they may produce less radioactive fallout (but that's a configurable parameter of the warhead design..)

Anyone here heard of Bethalto?

Tacoma,Washington
Pretty sure I'm fucked, is there any visible signs of fallout?

It would depend on the means of the enemy and what their endgame was on which targets would be hit. Military facilities and government centers would be the most likely first targets.

The fallout is what should concern you.

Fine, powdery ash to coarse ash would falling, depending on how far you were from the detonation.

so i could hide in my basement and be fine?

>mfw i live in El paso
>mfw I didnt think we were worthy of a nuke in a nuclear war
>mfw no only do we get a nuclear strike in a 2000 nuke war, but we also get a 500 nuke war

I don't get it, all we have is Fort Bliss. Its a major Army Base but is it enough to get a nuke.

>mfw we also have the White Sands missile range base

oh fuck

What would happen in Tacoma Washington area?

>tfw southwest Virginia

Feelsgood.jpg

Wouldn't want to be in North Dakota.

You need shielding, especially overhead. Gamma radiation can penetrate feet of concrete.

Place a table in the center of the room and stack several feet of books or dense, solid objects on top.

>Central Montana
JUST

The only thing I know about there is that Owen Wilson "owns a ranch out in El paso"

909 brother

There's a naval base nearby IIRC, and they rearm missile subs there so it would likely be hit.

What happens if a nuclear power plant gets a direct hit? Concerned because I live in Illinois

It wouldn't "amplify" the explosion or anything, and just be destroyed like anything else. It *might* make the fallout a little more fallout-y but it really wouldn't matter.

The chain reaction making the explosion happen can't feed off the reactor's core.

I live about 20 mi from Boston too, as far as I understand all of eastern MA will be blanketed by overlapping blasts.

Everything from Rt 91 east is gone.

So much radiation and destruction, it's not worth living through.

If you somehow escape to west of Rt 91, survivalists. will rob you and kill you

you're cucked

EXPERT OPINION HERE PAY ATTENTION:
If the blast "engulfs" the plant, the radioactive material will be vaporized like the rest. If the shockwave destroys the plant but leaves the inner structure overall intact (like in Chernobyl, the cement roof was blasted off but the radioactive material kept coming out) then you'll have HUGE problems, the entire area (thousands of square miles) is likely to become a radioactive shithole for many years to come.

No shit. Even in a 500 warhead scenario, there would be counterforce strikes against the ICBM fields in Wyoming and the Dakotas.

Huntsville isn't that bad..

Count I ask about a place like Ocala, FL which has a lot of people but basicaly nothing of military or strtegic value except perhaps a transit hub for major highway north and south called I-75. Why on Earth would it be a target for a nuke in a 500 nuke exchange? No real airport, no heavy manufacturing, no command infrastructure, no high tech anything. Ditto for other similar places that while on the maps don't seem to me to have much of a reason to be targeted. Using that as an example, can you say something to educate us?

How does Alaska fare?

im more concerned about fallout patterns, judging by the usual jet stream it doesnt matter if you dont get hit east of the Mississippi, the winds will bring the radioactive material over you.

I live in SE Ohio, and though ive never 100% confirmed, the rumors in town were always that they were a target because of an ANG Avengers base nearby. though im not sure about that, i do know the power plant in Beverly and the one in Conesville were targets.

How far would the fallout from presumed targets in russia/china come across the ocean?

How long will it spew radioactive stuff until it ceases? Generally curious because we have 11 (six operationsl) nuclear plants and over 12 waste containment facilities. How long till all of that stops seeping RADs into the environment?

San Antonio here. I'm fucked due to the massive military infrastructure in the local area. But that leads to another question. Once TACAMO reverts control to ground, what's the policy on, say, emergency US capitols? You could probably run the US out of San Antonio but that assumes we're not taken out in the first strike.

Chernobyl is still releasing tons of radioactive material in the air, and its been over 30 years since the disaster.
But that was a shitty commie structure, flawed in design even by Soviet standards. I believe American nuclear facilities will handle it better.
And a massive sarcophagus of cement and steel can always solve the situation.
It's physically impossible for particles, even gamma rays, to pass through several meters of hard material.
As long as a central government is still fuctioning, I think America can recover even from total nuclear war although it will take many decades.

I believe even the Gen 1 Western containment chambers were designed to survive the overpressure of a "near miss" nuke. Not saying you're incorrect and I'm sure failure would still be likely, but I think there's safeties in place to try and stop it, like a gravity SCRAM.

Again, the map is outdated an inaccurate. I just used it because it fit with the theme of this thread. In (((CURRENT YEAR))), what is going to get nuked and why is up to the doctrine and means and goals of an enemy, so what they target is up to them.

This is more about the "It Happened!" scenario and what to do to survive after, should you have not become fallout yourself.

Military and government facilities, including state capitals are obvious targets. Places that make military weapons or parts of weapons are also likely targets.

Ocala is the home of a Lockheed Martin facility. Not a large one, but one that does develop and assemble a strategic asset: missiles, fire control systems and launchers.

Again, depends on the means and goals of the enemy. Joint Base Elmendorf–Richardson is a likely target as it would be the first line of defense against Russian bombers from Kamchatka.

>I believe even the Gen 1 Western containment chambers were designed to survive the overpressure of a "near miss" nuke. Not saying you're incorrect and I'm sure failure would still be likely, but I think there's safeties in place to try and stop it, like a gravity SCRAM.
America and France have the safest nuclear facilities in the world. I won't doubt your ability to fix problems before they blow out of proportions.

KEK. There's no nuclear weapon more destructive than a population of low IQ niggers.

As any nuclear exchange would happen over a period of hours to maybe a day, the fallout would all fall to safe(r) levels within the same time frame globally (with the exception of maybe a few limited local exchanges days after the initial war and limited to short ranges).

The Chain of Succession survivors of the government would probably retain Continuity of Government from an undisclosed location and if Mount Weather somehow survived, direct commands from there.

Once everything was "settled," they would probably try to set up government wherever was the least damaged infrastructure and communications-wise.

(Don't quote me on the latter CoC at that level was above my training/knowledge)

Said the LBFM.

let's consider the Greenbrier in WV that for decades was a secret command center if needed during the cold war but decommissioned (as far as we know) maybe 40 years ago. That was surely a target in a 100 - 200 missile attack, let's say over 50 years ago. But would it now be the safest place to be? Additionally, how fast do these things change? Is a map good for at least 20 years, on average, with 95% same info, or is it more like a map is good for 10 years with 95% still accurate, or even less? Is this a good or a poor way to think of it?

Will you cunts over there be able to access any form of simple text based internet once the bombs hit??

Cause the shitposting would be legendary and we'd hate for you mutants to miss out.

Don't you have an oil tanker to be driving, Max?