/prod/ - Music Production General

Previous thread: (Cross-thread)

Traditional edition (with a subject)

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ Discord is up!
To join, you can go to discord.me/prodthread

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/amadeussoszka1/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=LeAS39JD-4c
youtube.com/watch?v=vMZ0V15VyVM
clyp.it/xngzyw0r
clyp.it/qzlhibhx
musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mojave-audio-ma-300-large-diaphragm-multi-pattern-tube-condenser-mic?rNtt=mojave&index=8
musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/daking-mic-pre-one
musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/neumann-skm184-stereo-microphone-pair?rNtt=neumann&index=12
musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/lr-baggs-para-acoustic-guitar-di-and-preamp?rNtt=acoustic preamp&index=21
musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/steinberg-ur22mkii-usb-20-audio-interface?rNtt=ur22&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=-YovIyLAMuo
reverb.com/item/1562110-fredenstein-professional-audio-bento-10-ten-slot-500-series-api-compatible-rack-enclosure
capi-gear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_117_55_169&products_id=478
m.thomann.de/gb/mellotron_m4000d_mini.htm
clyp.it/nwpdrpen
clyp.it/gg12dv3u
youtube.com/watch?v=IXE-ip8imbk
youtube.com/watch?v=8dgEKHSWhao
soundcloud.com/mitchiem/narcissism-kawaism-inst
youtube.com/watch?v=VAAKU9UxOeU
youtube.com/watch?v=cMESKIO6DRc
youtu.be/7I7jrKWfFgw?t=36s
clyp.it/gckzwpvf
freesound.org/search/?q=tape hiss
clyp.it/1gw5chvy
clyp.it/mrlo3aqr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You just lost the game.

>2nd for Ableton is for faggots

whos the best poster on the discord

(you)

what is the reddit of daws

Pro TOlls

Pro Tools or Ableton

One requires you use their own proprietary bullshit as plugins and lacks dual screen support.

The other is used by a bunch of degenerates.

autism: the channel

youtube.com/user/amadeussoszka1/videos

Discord is literally a tripfag containment board

gimme something to sample

youtube.com/watch?v=LeAS39JD-4c

I don't think any of us are actual tripfags on Sup Forums or other boards. But If there were a way to have user names in discord, I'd set that as the default. Also, since when /prod/ start having tripfags?

t. a shit admin in the discord

youtube.com/watch?v=vMZ0V15VyVM

Do you all know anything about microphones?

What mics picks up most basic rock instruments and female vocalists well for without costing too much? Preferably something that doesn't need audio interface. Is audio interface a big deal in terms of quality? I have a limited budget

>Is audio interface a big deal in terms of quality? I have a limited budget
Yes and no. An interface is great because you're not stuck with a one microphone. If you want to switch to a different mic later on, you can plug it in. You can also plug in guitars to a lot of interfaces and they have preamps for them. I'd get one just for future proofing. Most allow for at least two inputs at the same time as well.

>What mics picks up most basic rock instruments and female vocalists well for without costing too much? Preferably something that doesn't need audio interface.
Shure SM57 are the standard for micing guitar amps up. AT2020 is a staple for vocals which can probably be okay for acoustic guitar stuff.

I'd save up, get an interface, get an AT2020 and then an SM57. It would help if you gave out the budget explicitly.

I don't have a specific budget, I wouldn't want to spend more than 150 but if it's absolutely necessary I guess I would. I don't mind a homemade sound but I'm worried if I layer lots of instruments it could get too distorted or fuzzy. Do either of those work without an interface? Thanks so much for your help by the way

They don't work without an interface, no. That being said, you'll end up paying more in the long run unless you're gonna end up recording on a cheap USB mic the entire time - both in time wasted trying to get the sound to be better and money because you'll probably stop using it later on since you can't use it in as many scenarios.

If you can make the jump and really want to get serious, I'd invest enough but not more than you need at the moment. You just want a good starting point that will last you a while.

I'd suggest the Steinberg UR22, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, or the Presonus Audiobox. If you want to go lower, you can get the Focusrite Solo but I'd argue against it due to its output limitations (can only plug up to RCA).

For a good condenser microphone, Samson C01 is good, the Behringer B1, the Audio-Technica AT2020 are good for all around. They need phantom power, which those interfaces all provide since it's built in.

If you're looking to record guitar amps, singers that yell a lot, and overall much louder sound, get the SM57 along with one of those condensers to increase your sound palette. That being said, one of those condensers + one of those interfaces listed above will probably be good enough.

>spent $120 on this
>could have just got the roland ipad app

what do you guys think of this beat so far? What should I do with it/take it? clyp.it/xngzyw0r

roland cloud, even better

>$200 per year

they need to just let you buy what you want instead subscribe to use

where was this sampled from? Enjoy the idea but no idea how you should proceed desu.

got off my ass and got all my shit reinstalled and put this together quickly. clyp.it/qzlhibhx

I'm building a small recording studio for recording vox, acoustic + electric guitar, and Mellotron. I need some gear recommendations:

Here's what I'm trying to record:
>Taylor 712ce ltd (acoustic)
>PRS McCarty 594 (electric) through a Vox AC4HW Hand-Wired (amplifier)
>Mellotron
>Vocals

So I'm thinking of going with:

Vocals:
>Mojave MA-300 large diaphragm tube condenser microphone
>musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mojave-audio-ma-300-large-diaphragm-multi-pattern-tube-condenser-mic?rNtt=mojave&index=8

Vocal preamp:
>Daking Mic-Pre One
>musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/daking-mic-pre-one

Acoustic Guitar
>Neumann SKM184 microphones (pair)
>musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/neumann-skm184-stereo-microphone-pair?rNtt=neumann&index=12

Acoustic Preamp:
I'm thinking about using this LR Braggs preamp:
>musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/lr-baggs-para-acoustic-guitar-di-and-preamp?rNtt=acoustic preamp&index=21

My questions are:

1) If I have two channels from 2 of the Neumann mics, one angled at the sound hole, the other aimed at my fretboard, how would I route these two separate signals to the preamp and then out as two signals? Would I need to buy two of these preamps to plug into the interface?

2) Would you suggest that instead of having three separate preamps for acoustic,vox, and electric I just get one big rackmounted unit for all? How would you go about this? What are most people doing here?

3) What is a good usb 2.0 interface for my purposes? I rushed and bought a Steinberg UR22 mkII
>musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/steinberg-ur22mkii-usb-20-audio-interface?rNtt=ur22&index=2
...but that was before I decided I wanted to be do full live recordings rather than track-by-track so I need more inputs. What would you recommend?

4) Is there a modern minimalistic hardware Mellotron synth? Nord is too big.

youtube.com/watch?v=-YovIyLAMuo

Get a decent 500 series chassis
reverb.com/item/1562110-fredenstein-professional-audio-bento-10-ten-slot-500-series-api-compatible-rack-enclosure

then build or buy the best mic pres you can find.

>Build amazing, versatile API pres. This would be my choice
capi-gear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_117_55_169&products_id=478
>Buy
There are about 10 super nice sounding brands of pres I can think of. Just buy them used.

Now you have extra slots for compressors... Maybe EQ?

>reverb.com/item/1562110-fredenstein-professional-audio-bento-10-ten-slot-500-series-api-compatible-rack-enclosure

Okay, and as far as routing that to the ol' puter, how do I go about that?

My current rig is fairly beefy (intel i7 4790, 32gigs ram) but I've got no soundcard, so USB is really my only option. Would you suggest I upgrade to a soundcard and if so, what kind of connection would you recommend? (thunderbolt?)

m.thomann.de/gb/mellotron_m4000d_mini.htm

You'll need at least a 4x4 audio interface it looks like. That will take all incoming audio and convert it to digital. I prefer thunderbolt, as I like the low-latency. USB should be fine.

Your interface accept analog connections from each mic'd instrument.

source > mic > pre > A/D > file in DAW

Now, I have an FLstudio (producer I think?) account, but I'm considering jumping into a protools setup, because I distinctly remember how much easier it was (at the time) for my band to quantize drum tracks and such through protools. The only problem I have is I have absolutely no idea which version to get and looking at their website and checking out their different offerings confuses the hell out of me.

It looks like I could either buy just their software, or perhaps I could buy an all inclusive package that contains a soundcard or adapter that connects to a rack-mounted interface that is designed to work with the software, but I'm not entirely sure.

IF that is the case, I would definitely go with the latter, as I don't want to run into any glitches or incompatibility issues with my interface/DAW and I think that would pretty much guarantee that I don't. What do you recommend?

protools will be more of a headache with their DRM / hardware

Okay, so I read that link you gave me about building a series of kit pres, but I'm a little confused. The advantage of doing that would be?

Better quality than what you could buy, and at a lower cost? Is that correct?

I've been known to noodle around with a soldering iron, but mostly as it pertained to switching out pots and guitar electronics... I assume I'd need to dust out ye ol' soldering iron for a project like this? Seems like my project is getting bigger and bigger, but if you think this is going to be a better quality option in the long run, I'm game.

Most interfaces will work with protools. Compatibility isn't really a big deal.

>where was this sampled from?
a magician never reveals his secrets

i like your track, I'd just mix the drums louder

what should be my first DAW(im on a fagbook)? also which is the most cancerous DAW in existence, so i know to stay away from it

best daw is dubturbo

garageband because its free. If you like it, eventually upgrade to logic. If you don't like it then you will find one that you do. The daw you choose doesn't really matter because in the scheme of things, they all do the same thing.

Beat Thang is what the pros use

avoid Cubase and Ableton they're kids toys

kek beat kangz

I like Ableton though. Tried the session view and its comfy. Is it the one?

>clyp.it/nwpdrpen

I'm trying to focus on minimalism and harmony/melody and not really thinking about production at all. All of my tracks end up sounding really monotonous and flat and boring though.

>mellotron

why?

why not?

it plays back tape.

I've been u7sing FL Studio for six months now and I'm still unaware of how to do things like in pic related. There's so much more to the mixer than just effects and it's all so confusing.

Anyone got any good tuts?

clyp.it/gg12dv3u

I can't trust my speakers, but the bass sounds way too loud in this track for me, but Ableton says the db is super low. Any feedback?

Yes it does.

Go through FL's manual and also all the built-in synths and effects and try to understand everything, every little word you see and don't fully understand you look it up and own it.

I think your levels are fine. Really nice track btw.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll tweak it a bit and create more variety and start mastering it then.

While everybody is arguing about DAWs, which is the best platform for working with outboard midi gear? I use Windows and the DAW has to do all the midi routing, ableton seems pretty limited at this as-is.

What do you want to do that Ableton isn't capable of? Max4Live will probably have a solution to whatever you want to do.

Yeah but then you wouldnt have that sweet, sweet hardware.

Just picked up a MU-50 shipped from Japan for $80 myself.

I'm looking for more robust midi routing in general. Particularly sending sysex data to/from specified ports, so I can have concurrent access to real midi ports (memory allocation bullshit) using virtual loopback ports, which would allow me to use an ipad app to control parameters of synths that I'm controlling via ableton.

Apparently Max4Live does have a plugin that could help, but I'm using a bootleg Live 9 distro and it's not an option. I am considering paying for it, but not if I ant guarantee it'll do what I want.

I'm a talentless loser

I'd say "join the club", but have you seen that fucking line??

How do I make something like this guy? Is it possible to replicate his roaring bass/synth things digitally? What about the cassette hiss and the drums?

youtube.com/watch?v=IXE-ip8imbk

youtube.com/watch?v=8dgEKHSWhao

Gee he is all production. Do a cover of that on a piano and it would be hilariously bad

Yeah its possible, just going to take a lot to learn

I'm interested in what he's doing specifically

too much to just rattle off, you'd have to read books, learn synth's read manuals all of it, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO JUST WING IT

I've been dabbling with techno production for a few years :(

If you're retarded try all the videos online, search thick bass, mixing drums, etc.

Isnt that technique just multiple like oscilators played in unison with a bit of detuning?

How does he put so many different instruments in a song? My songs are simplistic garbage compared to this.

soundcloud.com/mitchiem/narcissism-kawaism-inst

Aw yeah mr. UPS man just dropped off my first midi controller. Pretty awesome.
What's a good way to learn how to play keys? (I'm a beginner guitarist).

Prod, how useless is my audio engineering degree? I'm studying for it right now and want to make it work so bad. I have already made connections with some musicians who are old and young in the Seattle and LA area who are also audio engineers. So when I'm done I'll have some good referrals. My end goal is to work in a recording studio as the sound man. What was your journey to being an audio engineer?

Youtube, but I like learning through physical media. I say pick up some begginer piano books and learn how sheet music works too because you'll run into situations where basic knowledge of sheet music is going to be important as a musician.

Yes you can do everything digitally. For Cassette hiss get Kramer Tape or something, and for drums, get some nice samples and crush them.

They're not that many, and they all play a unique role.

Just look for piano tutorials on youtube.

Not really useless, especially if you wanna follow that career path.

Oh forgot to mention, it's just a nektar lx49+, so 49 synth action keys. I imagine that's quite different from playing a piano.

If you reduce this song down to what it is, then it's pretty much bass and drums with improvisational elements all over it. There's not much lead melodies here to speak of. ( I guess you could argue that it is, but it's to chopped up between various instruments to be a solid lead, and even then, the composition leaves alot to be desired.)

And even then, it is pretty much the Ducktales theme from the show, which is a much better song, even though the production is lacking.
youtube.com/watch?v=VAAKU9UxOeU

You should study 8 bit and 16 bit music because that it what this is, just with modern production.

youtube.com/watch?v=cMESKIO6DRc
youtu.be/7I7jrKWfFgw?t=36s

It's different because it has less keys and they're non-weighed, but if you figure out which key is which and can play scales/chords, you'll be able to transfer that over to a piano ez pz.

This isnt rocket science.
I've made something up in 10 minutes that is approximately similar to what he's doing in terms of production and sound.
clyp.it/gckzwpvf

-For drums: Take any house kick, take any snare, take any hi hat. Make a typical house "4 to the floor" beat. Then EQ the top off, smash into a tape emulator/tape distortion. (optional, roll of the low end for even more lofi sound, but wont be as bassy)

-For synths: I used massive, but really any synth with more than 1 oscilator will do. EQ the same way as drums, smash into tape emulator/tape distortion. (optional, slapp some reverb on for that room sound)

-Smash into a compressor, tweak the attack/release/ratio a bit untill you find a nice balance. Slap a limiter on top.

-Or alternatively, you can just do the EQ/Tape part in the mastering channel, will save you CPU.

-Lastly, take a stereo imager/stereo enhancer and either mono it or reduce the stereo with down to like barely 20% above mono.

I have a minilogue and don't care much for it, especially the attack/click. Shpuld I sell it and look towards other gear? I've had it since release and have never felt inspired.

I was curious about the Circuit but it looks a bit toyish.

Also, here's more tape hiss than you will ever need.

freesound.org/search/?q=tape hiss

>clyp.it/gckzwpvf
Damn that sounds good man. Thank you!

That guy doesn't know what you know so he couldn't do it in ten minutes. Also what you have done is a pale imitation of it, barely a sketch of a track where all the little production details matter. And you'd have to spend lot longer to get it the same, probably have to learn much more about stereoising for one. Which you wouldn't do because it's too hard / tedious. Therefore, it is a kind of rocket science and your pretension is in another galaxy.

Chill out friend

It annoys me when people think they can just knock something out with production, or think it'll be easy. It is nothing like that. It is all about painstaking rendering, editing, finessing and guys who take shortcuts fill up the internet with dross.

Oh sorry I was the only fucker in this thread that bothered to go through the basics for him instead of berating him for his choice in music.

>Also what you have done is a pale imitation of it, barely a sketch of a track where all the little production details matter.
As I said, I used 10 minutes on it. Sorry I didnt put my heart and soul into it and made the banger of the fucking century.

>all those preassumptions
I asked for some general pointers and that's what I got. I have no idea why you're assuming I think "i can just knock something out" or that "it'll be easy", I never said that. Thanks for explaining to me how music production works, bro, I never thought that it's actually difficult, you're so smart, man.

I'm much more sick of dudes who produce the hell out of a heavily calculated rubbish idea, trying to be the next big EDM/trap producer, when you can tell they don't even care about or like the type of music they produce.

does having two of the exact same track do anything but the same as increasing the volume with one track? that frequency layering shit.

>does having two of the exact same track do anything but the same as increasing the volume with one track?
Any examples?

Putting two identical tracks on top of eachother does next to nothing but increase the volume.
Unless you put one slightly ahead of the other and you get all kinds of phasing effects.

You're better off parallel compressing elements (like drums) if you want more power in your mix.

thats what i was thinking.

>tfw reaper's pitch shifter can't be used in stereo like protools'

how is this instrumental comp sounding?

clyp.it/1gw5chvy

When you layer the synthy drone over the vocal choir thing you pick some really dissonant notes and it kinda ruins it for me. Besides that I really really like it.

JUST

Sorry for my bad english. So I have this long wave. But when I play a key it just plays a fraction of it. How do I make it last longer? [spoiler]day 2 ableton user[/spoiler]

Is the sustain at 100% on the volume/amp envelope (under filter/global)?

I just putted it to 100% and nothing changed. But increasing Release time helped

The note length needs to be the same as the sample length - ie: if you play only a short note you won't hear the whole sample, unless you have the sample set to play in one-shot mode.

Switch the play mode from gate to trigger.

Are you using a keyboard? Are you holding the key or just tapping it? If sustain is 100% the sample should play until you stop holding the key.

>ableton brainlets

What do you guys think?
clyp.it/mrlo3aqr

Too many parallel octaves. The last half is too quiet. Sounds too rigidly in time but maybe you like that, the world doesn't.

>Too many parallel octaves.
Do you mean like parallell octave movement?
>Sounds too rigidly in time
It's made in flstudio, is there any way to "humanize" it? I don't have a midi keyboard and i can't play piano, so recording is not an option.

I mean when a bass / chord changes and the higher note is the same

You could try a swing or put a groove if in ableton on the clip/s or that might be too drastic, but perhaps alter with quantize percentage. Maybe other ways online if you look

and to chip inn here, remember, to make it sound realistic, it has to be possible to play with two hands.

Cant have 12-14 notes going off at once. Your maximum is 10. Unless you use a sustain pedal or more advanced techniques.

Taking an electronic music class this semester, any advice?

I wanna get into making music. i have logic downloaded and FL studio but idk which to put more effort into learning. Rap beats are cool and all so maybe FL Studio? Idk how good logic is at electronic stuff/beats