Why is Tokyo Story praised so much...

Why is Tokyo Story praised so much? It's shot really well and the whole theme of family drifting away was nice but what about it makes it supposedly one of the greatest films ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPpnd4hTVw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The same themes in all his other works ie exposing the sheer brutal reality of an uncaring family whose apathy is hugely influenced by societal conventions and mores and yet embracing these societal rules and ultimately accepting them. No other director even comes close to finding this balance

>and yet embracing these societal rules and ultimately accepting them.
What? Where do you get this?

late spring

I watched Early Summer and Late Spring back-to-back a few years ago and have recalling the difference between them. I remember Late Spring didn't show Setsuko Hara's husband and that it had the sexy bicycle ride but that's it.

late spring is probably his best work, the series of symbolism in it is immaculate

>film about how uncaring modern families are
>they are much more caring than the average western family today

I recall Early Summer did a better job depicting post-war Japanese society but Late Spring was superior in every other way. The scene where hara and her father come to terms with their situation at the play is great.

It managed to address a lot of themes at once without becoming a muddled mess. In fact, it's incredibly simple as a plotline.

But thematically, it was about more than just a family; the family was just a component of social change in postwar Japan, and its particular story was used to try and explore how various personality-types in Japanese society were becoming socially-altered.

It goes into geographic as well as social dislocations, and ends up with a very modernistic take on things which has been vindicated by the succeeding decades.

It also inverts the usual Japanese trope of a big death bringing everyone back together and reinforcing lost unity. Instead, in the new order, it actually severs the remaining bonds to one's old home.

Haven't seen this yet. But kinda sad, I thought he was adamantly against the oppresive ways of his society

From what I garnered, his views are a lot more complex than that

I don't think that the decisions the character's make are an endorsement of those ideas by Ozu. The craving in to societal pressure is devastating.

I never understood how Kurosawa became the definitive jap cinema export. Why not Ozu? Less accessible to western audience?

It goes ozu>mizoguchi>>>>>>>>>>>>Kurosawa

well simply, other nations had their own version of ''kitchen sink'' drama, whilst kurosawa offered something original.

Pretty much. Americans love samurai. The general American public can't stand films like OP though.

REEEEEE

Mizoguchi > Naruse > Kurosawa > Ozu

tbhwy senpai

btw didnt mean that to come off as kurosawa is better than ozu. just musing on why kurosawa was more influential and popular outside of japan.

Not an argument.

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPpnd4hTVw

Kurosawa is still great even though Ozu is the better director with a more even track record.

Based Kaurismäki

Yup.