youtube.com/watch?v=2Q4mKo9gBF4
youtube.com/watch?v=vdA1TrlDwAA
youtube.com/watch?v=lP7B3hbKwY8
youtube.com/watch?v=8fOZhQ8RCqc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My preference is the fiddle

in tenor or cello you'd be correct

Whiskey

I really like the sound of a lot of old European folk instruments. The bowed lyre is one of my favorites. It has a deep and old sound.

>link related
This is a jewtube video of someone playing an old Swedish folk song on a bowed lyre. Sadly the video cuts off at the end.
youtube.com/watch?v=FNInVjNDU3k

I'll post a few more instruments.

This one is the trossingen lyre. The guy in the link explains it well enough.
youtube.com/watch?v=R1f29rtaRYk

these are really cool thanks dude

The guzheng

This one is a goat horn, but really any sort of horn and large enough bone could be made into a flute.

youtube.com/watch?v=pi1bX8UWkTY

The plucked psaltery gives a hypnotic fairy tale sort of sound. The girl in this link plays an old song from the Renaissance.

youtube.com/watch?v=zhf_UHMLQGE

The arghul is an ancient egyptian instrument that dates bate to the pharaohs. It sort of sounds like bagpipes. It might not be what you expect to hear from an instrument from ancient egypt.

youtube.com/watch?v=U9JBFeHS49A

Should I keep going or is no one in this thread?

This one is from india and is well known. The tabla are a commonly heard drum pair. They can get really complicated to play when you start speaking the bols while you play like in link related.

youtube.com/watch?v=VCJt7BlYTIA

im enjoying it mate keep it up

Very well. I'll do a few more.

This is the opharion. It is an ancestor to the guitar from the Renaissance.

youtube.com/watch?v=GM3RZapl6_8

This is the zurna. It's a Eurasian wind instrument. It is known for being loud and high pitched due to needing a lot of pressure to make sound come out.

youtube.com/watch?v=l1Qt4y-xQV4

The domra is a guitar-like russian instrument. I'm posting it to show this video of a babushka playing one.

youtube.com/watch?v=C_cw68yDFb4

Cave bear femur flute made by neanderthals

youtube.com/watch?v=sHy9FOblt7Y&t=14s

Fujara (an overtone flute from eastern Europe)

youtube.com/watch?v=SuMxWlVYP2o

Norway had the Langeleik. It's basically a zither that has an interesting sound. I like the song in link related and that's why I'm posting it.

youtube.com/watch?v=-i9h28DcTV0

Sarangi. Bowed Indian instrument with sympathetic strings. Strings are stopped with the cuticle.

youtube.com/watch?v=m_yMf_Ra9XM

Hardanger fiddle. A northern European fiddle with sympathetic strings running under the fingerboard. Tuned in various fiddle cross tunings.

youtube.com/watch?v=AYSVDG8ZFNw

Clog fiddle. A fiddle made from a clog. Popularized in the first decade of the last century by the famous Swedish string trio, Källnatrion, this instrument used to be the poor man's alternative to the expensive and hard-to-get violin. Sounds a lot like a rebec and other early instruments predating the modern fiddle.

youtube.com/watch?v=XQTcP_4Q1lk

It'a clearly the hurdy-gurdy.
youtube.com/watch?v=2Q4mKo9gBF4

I love the shehnei, anyone tried playing it?
I'm currently learning the turkish ney though, for a first flute instrument I'm finding the fingering extremely difficult, I love the sound though.
What's a good cheap zither/harp like instrument for a first buy?

Came in to say this. The hurdy-gurdy is fucking boss

cool thread i love seeing all these cultural instruments

Anyone tried buying instrument kits before?
I was thinking of getting a kantele from harpkit.
Duduk
youtube.com/watch?v=vdA1TrlDwAA
Ney
youtube.com/watch?v=lP7B3hbKwY8

Either mandolin or five string banjo. I don't wanna choose because I like 'em together.

That Duduk sounds really good.

Another overtone flute: youtube.com/watch?v=8fOZhQ8RCqc

wew idk if it's just the folk traditions that use them but both of those are seriously trash instruments.

Mandolin is an orchestral instrument with an entire WAM repertoire you pleb. Also, banjo is great.

gamelan

? This thread is about folk instruments though.
Also they're shit in classical music, yes I've listened to baroque mandolin music.

For me, it's the guitarrón Chileno: intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor

How the fuck are you even supposed to fret those courses? 4 Strings per course? What?