Rogue One Discussion

This is a thread for asking questions and discussing Rogue One. Spoilers. Obviously.

Who was that robed guy who addressed Vader? Darth Sidious dark side acolyte? He looked old and wrinkly, possibly due to the dark side. Also what planet were they on? Note it was not named.

Why was Leia's ship fucking docked to the Admiral's ship? Why was she even there?

Who actually lived? (all the main characters seemingly got nuked) (the admirals ship was disabled, he may have been captured for interrogation)

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mustafar_mining_facility
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fuck off trip nigger

well we know red and gold leader survived

literally the museum of star wars: part 2

What happens to Ben Mendelsohns character?

Just got back from seeing it with a group of friends. It was pretty garbage. No characters I could get invested in, a contrived plot (the Death Star has a weakness due to love), and more unnecessary cameos.

Also, why did Darth Vader rent an apartment in Sauron's Tower?

>Why was Leia's ship fucking docked to the Admiral's ship? Why was she even there?
>

Because REFERENCE. Remember when REFERENCE TO THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY from THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY? She had to be there! It wasn't bad screenwriting or shoehorned or poorly thrown in at the last second to neatly tie everything up for ANH even though RotS already did that even more embarrassingly.

But no, she looked like something from the Polar Express. At least the Peter Cushing creature that crawled out of uncanny valley was passable most of the time. Bitch looked like a doll.

The planet was mustafar

Oh and what the hell was that mindfucking lard alien

All I want to know is if Sheev is in the movie or not?

Really wish there was audio to hear his lightsaber crack on

He is not

no

noooo

Wookiepedia says it was his personal abode on Mustafar

shot, left for dead, nuked by death star

>Hidalgo also serves at Lucasfilm as a creative executive in story development.
Yet he doesn't know the name of Mustafar? Does no one else find that odd? Did they order him not to say its name? Why the fuck couldn't he google the name at least before blurting out an answer?

gets cucked by his own creation

>cgi a dead actor into the film
>don't bring back the one still living
Why?! I wanted more dank Sheev memes dammit. Fuck Disney.

seemed obvious but gud its confirmed

The deathtrooper voices were so goddamn deep. Intimidating as fuck but hell if I could understand a word they said

He was obv avoiding spoilers man

What a load of shit. This was probably the last opportunity to get more Sheev. I'm mad.

Has anybody else here read the companion novel Star Wars Catalyst? Having read that gave me a far better understanding of the characters. Especially Krennick. I see a lot of people saying they didn't care for the character or there wasn't enough screen time for him. Having read the novel I already had a much better relationship with him as a character and it made me sympathise with what he was going through. You can tell hes a very intelligent man but unfortunately he is competing with Tarkin who is always one step ahead of him.

oh yeah did they even mention those new fighter variants? What are they called

Its not, its fucking mordor, I saw that fucking tower

This, reading Catalyst made Krennic the best character in the film for me

TIE strikers

Thats what Im saying Krennick was fantastic. I do have to side with Tarkin because he is one of my favorite characters throughout the series. I've really got a weakness for the military genius's Tarkin Thrawn Krennic.

Nope. I must be retarded, but I can't keep up with all the books/comics coming out. Fuck, I don't even watch the cartoons.

I love to read, but SW novels always left me cold, except for the Thrawn trilogy. That was pretty good for the most part.

Thats why I was actually glad when the canon got rebooted. I know it broke many fans hearts but It gave way for a whole new generation such as myself to dive right in. I was always too intimiadted by trying to jump into 40 years of lore.

I like to imagine thats Vaders home and that guy was his butler or a servant of some kind

His name is Vanee. It would be cool to get some insight on his character and anyone similar. A group of dark side worshippers serving Vader could play out really well if done correctly.

>"I have a bad feeling about this"

No fucking shit your a droid build for statistics, the line was dumb and someone else should have said it.

You sound like a Disney stooge...

Go to bed, Mickey.

Leia's ship was there because she was presumably in the middle of that diplomatic mission.

Can someone tell me why Cassian didn't shoot Krennic when he had the chance?

He didn't want to shoot Mads, but there was no reason not to kill Krennic when he was just there.

I really dont have an opinion on Disney. Not everything is perfect and there are many things from the legends are prefer. but the point remains the same if I had to jump into the old EU I would be overwhelmed.

yeah but it was in the other direction, she was going to tatooine

your mum

FUCKING LEL

I hated how K-2 constantly commented on odds and probabilities. They were trying too hard to make K-2 into a C-3PO, but with more sass.

BUT STILL WHY THE FUCK WPULD HE GIVE A FUCKING NUMBER!! it doesn't add up.

Fair enough Im always quick to forget these guys.

>Sheev recruits the people of whoville

They sounded like fucking combine soldiers
which is A+ for me

He's Jyns dad and Cassian liked Jyn pretty obvious

Why the fuck did Cassian keep killing friendlies?

Like, ok, I guess the informant being shot in the back is Cassian's mission.

But what about Saul's man with the grenade? Why did he just decide to randomly kill someone helping him in a firefight?

You're mistaking Galen and Krennick.
He killed the dude with the grenade becuase Jyn was behind the tank he was about to destroy.

So that's why I was all jumpy when they were on screen.. Fucking combine soldiers.

They were obviously going for pick related with the voices, but I was just thinking about how this elite squad was communicating with each other when you can't understand a word.

They weren't even redubbed for the German release - scriptwriter couldn't figure out shit.

>Pros
>Darth Vader's keep is the same building he kills the CIS leaders in on Mustafar

That was actually a really good decision to go on based on his whole redemption arc in the OT. Why Mustafar was almost larva free only 20 years later was a little confusing.

>Cons
>Completely fucking up the lore on Kyber crystals
>Jedah even being a thing
>"Kyber crystals are from the core of dead stars"
>Being able to jump to light speed in an atmosphere
>Donny's character being able to channel the force so dozens of stormtroopers miss him makes absolutely no sense and that power isn't even a thing in any of the lore
>Bail being on Yavin when Episode IV takes place straight after R1; the amount of time it would take to travel from the outer rim to Alderan means there's no chance he could have been there when it was blown up. Can call it an autistic thing to notice all you want, but they completely fucked up
>

Ohhhh, must have missed that. Even still, seemed a little drastic, right?

True!. Maybe because hes morally ambiguous, I dunno. Like in his little speech rallying the rebels to help, doin bad things for the greater good. To be honest, Saul's men seemed pretty Jabba-baddie-tier to me though. Would have been clearer if we saw what the hell Saul was like, or his city, or his gang but uh...well yknow..lol

Yeah I get that. I'm asking why he didn't kill the white cape dude, Krennic.

>Saul
character's name is Saw Gerrera

All the characters were one-dimensional and I can't even remember the names of anyone in the actual 'crew' outside of the main girl.

K2 reminded me of this annoying thing.

>Deathtrooper approaches you
>"Pick up that can!"

it was the blind guy the guy with the snow jacket the robot and the girl

Eh, I can't see any other way he could have stop him from throwing the grenade, especially in the middle of a firefight

oh just copied previous posts name. barely got to learn any of these characters names before they offed em. Its FUCKING TIGHT that he is the same Saw Gerrera from Clone Wars though. Sad as fuck they didn't use Forest's acting ability or that he didn't do anything bad ass though

Why the fuck was the rebel guy wearing a snow jacket like the whole time? on jeda it would have been really hot.

probably to hide how many damn weapons he has strapped to him

you can see it in a couple of the scenes where he takes the coat off

We have a perfectly good Ian McDiamid and they go for creepy polar express shit

disgusting

pic related

You're*

>I shall go to my death.
>now before I am being engulfed by the debris and the shockwave, let me tear off this oxygen mask that makes my breath sound like Vader's.

Anyone else notice that the Corvette that rams the Star Destroyer was a KOTOR era ship

gey

I think he said kyber crystals are the core of the brightest stars, as a sort of symbolic thing.

I think that was supposed to be an absurdly dangerous maneuver that just happened to work.

>Donny's character being able to channel the force so dozens of stormtroopers miss him makes absolutely no sense and that power isn't even a thing in any of the lore

I think it was more "the force is giving him absurd amounts of luck" because we all know there's no such thing as luck, at least according to Obi-wan. Either that or the scene was poorly executed and he was supposed to coincidentally dodge every shot until he pressed the button.

>Bail being on Yavin when Episode IV takes place straight after R1; the amount of time it would take to travel from the outer rim to Alderan means there's no chance he could have been there when it was blown up. Can call it an autistic thing to notice all you want, but they completely fucked up

I don't think R1 and IV a seconds apart, you can easily fit in several days of Darth Vader trying to chase down that ship. After all, it had a pretty significant head start since Vader had to transfer back to his own ship, and I don't know how well FTL tracking works in Star Wars so he might have to send out multiple search parties to check likely vectors.

Just realized they pretty much only put this guy in for hype and feeding theories. So peiple could go like IS THAT ANOTHER SITH A DARK SIDE USER PALPATINE...no its just an obscure imperial bureacrat who got similar screentime (like 5 seconds) sometime in the OT lol.

ALSO did you notice? "I rebel" wasn't in the movie. Good fucking decision IMO

>He killed the dude with the grenade becuase Jyn was behind the tank he was about to destroy.
damn

Stop spamming this in every thread you fucking autist. These points have been answered again and again.

someone's gotta put that shit back into CANON on Wookiepedia

The more important bit of info I got from that scene was that the red guards also protect Vader. I'm not an expert on the mundane of the canon but I thought those guys only guarded the emperor

he didn't channel the force, he just trusted it

A lot of amazing details, and i loved that, but couldn't have cared less about protagonists, except maybe a robot. But at the end if someone is a Star Wars fan, it's a must watch, if not, keep money in your wallet or wait for torrents you pirate scum! kek

>Darth Vader's keep is the same building he kills the CIS leaders in on Mustafar
no it isn't.
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mustafar_mining_facility
>Towards the end of the Clone Wars, it served as the headquarters of the Separatist Council. The Council members were slain there at the hand of Darth Vader.
>Completely fucking up the lore on Kyber crystals
elaborate please
cool opinion
who said that?
why is this a problem? also it was done in an emergency, to escape getting crushed
>Donny's character being able to channel the force so dozens of stormtroopers miss him
he didn't "channel" anything. the point of the scene is to show that he has faith in the force, that he'll make it to the switch. it's purely a character/storytelling moment. has nothing to do with "lore"
>Bail being on Yavin when Episode IV takes place straight after R1; the amount of time it would take to travel from the outer rim to Alderan means there's no chance he could have been there when it was blown
probably, but it depends on how much time is actually elapsed during the film. these movies are never 1:1 between what's happening on screen and the actual runtime of the film. otherwise luke would have spent about 5 minutes with yoda

They said that in the film senpai.

>couldn't have cared less about protagonists,
>except maybe a robot.
The robot was the worst character by far.

Essentially it was Ossus, but renamed
>Atmosphere jump
if I remember correctly it's possibly, but usually gets people killed
>that power isn't even a thing in any of the lore
IMO he was letting the force "guide his destiny", stuff that star wars is known for doing. Also that power is kind of used by Kylo Ren in the beginning of TFA
>Bail being on Yavin when Episode IV takes place straight after R1
I think they have time, Leia has to jump to tatooine and bail has a huge head start

>I don't know how well FTL tracking works in Star Wars so he might have to send out multiple search parties to check likely vectors.

It works pretty well since the Death Star managed to follow the Falcon to Yavin IV in a matter of hours.

Speaking of which:
The Death Star jumping right into Scarif's orbit, it being hyperspace-capable at all, kinda invalidates the race against time in ANH. With this reveal, it becomes puttling why the Death Star had to slowly follow the Falcon and wait for a clear shot on Yavin IV if they could've just materialised mere kilometers above the surface and blast the rebels away.

they're jumping into hyperspace, not traveling at light speed. hyperspace is different than normal space, its like traveling through a wormhole, not traveling extremely fast.

i thought it was "the brightest stars have a core of pure kyber" or something. it was metaphoric/poetic

They used to.
Now they do it differently.

I liked him a lot for some reason.

Serious question: is it as much of a crafted soulless corporate product and VII was? I most definitely won't go to theater, but I'm wondering, if I at least should pirate it later

>I liked him a lot for some reason.
autism?

Why did Jyn say "may the force be with us" before storming the beach? We haven't been told that she even believes in the force. Obviously she knows what Jedi are even though they sound mythic in the OT. In fact, we don't know if any of these rebel troops know what the force is or have heard of the Jedi.

An imperial officer refers to Vader's dark powers as a "devotion to an ancient religion". I'm assuming that's the belief in the force. Han didn't believe in the force, Chewie probably didn't either. Why would they?

She isn't force sensitive and her only knowledge of it that we see is second hand witnessing of a blind gook muttering to himself about it. It just felt strange because all the rebel troops start hoo-ah'ing and shit. If they all know about the force, why do they question Luke's decision to disable his targeting visor during the Death Star raid?

wasnt there supposed to be a black R2D2 in this movie I dont remember seeing one

its sad. for a brief second I thought "Hey! Maybe they'll repair him because he looks like an imperial! But then I remembered the whole place gets fuggen nuked..

>I think they have time, Leia has to jump to tatooine and bail has a huge head start

time and space mean nothing in the movie. Andor and Jyn were near the top of the radar tower when the nuke laser hit, yet down at the beach embracing each other just a few seconds later.

And how did Vader get onto the Mon Cal freighter, anyway? Last we saw him, he crashed the Devastator into the escaping rebel fleet, in the next shot he's in the dark hallway aboard the freighter.

EXACTLY. I was SO confused by how far they got from the radar tower..

Pay attention to the building when you rewatch it. It even has the same landing pad and larva gate placement.

>its like traveling through a wormhole, not traveling extremely fast.

They had to decellerate and do an evasive maneuver in TFA not to crash into the Starkiller's surface.

Meanwhile in R1, the Devastator just pops ot of hyperspace and hangs in the air like a brick (which was the case in the OT too), so that a good part of the rebel forces hauling ass outta there just smacked into it.

Yeah, but on the other hand they showed us true destructive power of the Death Star. It was far more different from watching exploding planet from the distance.

Also, Han didn't even believe in the Jedi. The rebels apparently do.

this is because The Force Awakens is a shitty movie and the people who made it didn't care about consistency

There was multiple times in Clone Wars where they didn't jump in the atmosphere because the pilot or whatever would say it would tear the ship apart. In the older novels (which aren't canon now, I know), Wedge says even particulates in the atmosphere would be like taking a ship through a meteor shower.

Do you guys think the pre-prequel that will come out could focus on the whole monk-jedi worship temple/creation themes?

The blind guy was kinda cool