Best Sonic Youth Album

Why doesn’t this record get recognition?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vZJTcQWuZ3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=yyE6--wXKJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=nWpbFoEUV24
youtube.com/watch?v=DSqQ7Bc9PlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=NuJenEqjR44
youtube.com/watch?v=fWzFkVy3s14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sonic Youth in general doesn't get much recognition

Unwind confirmed best song

Panty Lies is probably the worst Sonic Youth song i've ever listened to.

Not their best album by a country mile, not with Panty Lies and Junkie's Promise. But it's got some of their best relaxing songs and probably their best creepy song.

>best sonic youth album
ftfy

>Panty Lies is probably the worst Sonic Youth song i've ever listened to.

agreed

mah nigga

Sonic Youth is pretty underrated, they're probably a top 10 rock band for me, one of the best and most consistent discographies ever

that's my second favorite sy album after ddn. diamond sea is the song that got me into them.

>Sonic Youth is pretty underrated

But they're very highly rated.

because NYC Ghosts and Flowers is their best?

Definitely one of their best. Disconnection Notice is an amazing song. If you are a more melodic person Murray Street or Sister would make sense as your #1 Album

these are the only two fuck ups in their amazing discography

>current year
>listening to Soy Youth

>DDN isn't in your top ten albums of all time

>unironically namedropping the meme album
at least say Goo, it's like DDN but good

Washing Machine has The Diamond Sea, it gets recognition. You wanna talk albums that don't get recognition? Pic fucking related, I think it's one of their best. Could be worse though, I almost never see people champion records like The Eternal or Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star.

Not that user but I've always liked Goo the least of their albums. Never could get into it, and even Dirty's only marginally better.

under appreciated if anything

Little Trouble Girl very good song

DDN is their best. it's essentially their interpretation of SST hardcore at the peak of SST hardcore. they were completely involved with the scene at the time. the songwriting is the most complex, the heavily overdubbed of guitar makes everything sound dreamy and the production is the most enveloping. it's a 9/10 easily

>The Eternal or Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star.
love them both, jetset was my first.

>pic

i only like a couple songs off it, dude ranch, paper cup, and golden blue.

I've only listened to Daydream Nation. Where do I go next?

all of that is true of the opening track. literally nothing remarkable follows on the whole record.

Sister or begin with Ciccone Youth's Whitey album and go chronologically

I love DDN but for the life of me I will never understand why Teenage Riot of all songs is put on a pedestal. I like probably 70% of the album more than it.

t. hasn't listened past the first track
[spoiler] the sprawl is best [spoiler]

I think Pattern Recognition is one of their best from that era. Only songs I'm not crazy about on it are Stones, New Hampshire and Peace Attack. Love the rest of it, though.

Their self titled EP is best. Nothing else is better than 6/10

Did they ever found the autists in the picture?

agreed

Aside from Karen Revisited and Plastic Sun I can't get too enthusiastic about Murray Street. The rest of it is fine I suppose, I can sit through the record just fine but I'm not in love with the other songs, you know?

>diamond sea

definitely understand
it was a grower for me but it's also not for everyone, even if you like sonic youth

all of my friends that are die hard fans have different favorite records by them.

I'm not super into their noisy / experiment stuff, but I would have to say Sister is my second favorite.

I can see that, especially with their post-Dirty material, and increasingly so the further you go. By the time you get to the 00s stuff no one can agree on what's good and what isn't.

Meme albums are meme albums for a reason you know

i agree, everyone I know is definitely split on their 00's records

I'm the only one of my friends who likes it at all though, but it's top 3 for me

I think people are conflating ratings with popularity

that's a great album. this is my fav SY though... and I'm normally a noise-head

The Whitey Album
>youtube.com/watch?v=vZJTcQWuZ3Q
>youtube.com/watch?v=yyE6--wXKJ0
Evol
>youtube.com/watch?v=nWpbFoEUV24
>youtube.com/watch?v=DSqQ7Bc9PlQ
Sister
>youtube.com/watch?v=NuJenEqjR44
>youtube.com/watch?v=fWzFkVy3s14

It's really not that great. I mean it's pretty good, Saucer-Like and Skip Tracer are massively underrated imo, but outside of Dirty, Washing Machine is my least favorite of their 90s albums. A Thousand Leaves on the other hand is amazing.