For everyone who has seen Rogue One: a star wars story - how did you like the CGI characters?

For everyone who has seen Rogue One: a star wars story - how did you like the CGI characters?

I think it was fine - the two people I went with didn't notice. I knew he was CGI so it looked a little weird but it was passable.

The Leia thing was the weirdest

Starring into Tarkin's eyes gave me a first-class ticket to the uncanny valley.

Yeah it was very weird, but actually, quite amazing. They did a good job.

Agreeable, the CGI for Tarkin was decent, but the lines didnt convey the proper emotions. Leia, yeah thats like uncanny valley shit right there

Yeah Leia's eyes were a bit too big but otherwise passable, Tarkin was alright for the most part

had a laugh when he decides to blitz Krennick's ass with his own superweapon

Fucking awful, only times during the movie I made a cringe face. I actually got used to Tarkin but that's only because he was onscreen so much.

You know the CG is bad when you can see Uncanny Valley from the reflection in the window alone.

the leia looked better, but maybe because you only saw her for like 5 seconds

I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but I recognized the guy from A New Hope and it was only after a couple minutes that I thought "wait, shouldn't this guy be dead by now?" So yeah, they did a fantastic job.

Maybe anyone took a photo of Tarkin or Leia in the movie? I want to show it to a friend, and can't find anything on the net

The two people you went with are fucking morons for not noticing.

>Uncanny Valley effect means the Cg is bad

Are you retarded?

I think this is why Tarkin works better. People don't necessarily remember him immediately so the shock of him being "alive' is lessened.

The Leia part confuses our brains because we know that's how she looked in the OT but we also just saw her a year ago and she looked old.

>>Every thread must be Shill

fuck off Disney. no one but cucks is watching your shit unless its free torrent.

>Every thread must be Shill
>the irony of this post

Leia looked like shit

Perhaps I should have phrased it better, but if you can't make it so it's convincing even in a subtle shot like the first shot, then it's a bad technique.

it was fantastic desu. atleast in 3d imax anyway.

Yeah, I remember watching Spielberg's Tintin, and despite looking fairly realistic, the characters were kind of disturbing to look at as well.

Tarkin looked really fake, they shouldn't have given him so much screen time and they should have hidden him better when they did.

Leia looked good, though.

The CGI itself was really good, people that don't know or care who Tarkin is seem to be pretty fooled by it. Everyone knows that princess Leia doesn't look like that anymore so it was more noticeable.

I'm glad they used the tech, having Tarkin in the movie so much was one of the better things and really ties it in with Ep. IV where he is the chief antagonist.

Why does everybody keep saying Leia looked good? She had perhaps even more uncanny valley because she was younger and looked smoother/shinier, and when she opens her mouth, her teeth just don't look right.

Plus, her moment was pure cringe.

>what did the send
>"hope"
>episode 4: A New Hope

pottery

Oh now I understand

I thought Luke is the hope

>I think it was fine - the two people I went with didn't notice.

Why did you take two blind people to the movies, are you so sort of psychopath?

Literally everyone who didn't know the guy was dead didn't notice.

It means it's good, but that doesn't matter if the result has a bad effect on you. CGI tarkin and the constantly changing setting are the only qualms I had with the movie, it was great

That's actually pretty crazy for me, I couldn't get over how weird he looked

They looked like shit. Hitting hard the uncanny valley.

Tarkin was good enough, though he was very obviously CGI. Leia was a bit of a 'huh' moment but she's on screen for only a few seconds.

The first act (the premise) and Vader as Terminator/Alien are the only good bits in the movie.

Not even the scriptwriters care about what happens in the 2nd act and the ending is beyond terrible.

Plus, Giaccino sounds like an amateur when trying to imitate Williams. Shit movie.

The cringey uncanny valley Tarkin and Leia were just the nail on the coffin.

You didn't like the battle scenes?

The Hammerhead scene was worth the price of admission for me alone.

Yeah, that was towcable AT-AT tier

>Starring into Tarkin's eyes gave me a first-class ticket to the uncanny valley.

Exactly! Creepy. I got that very uncanny valley feeling from it as well.

Like it was almost completely real but missing the little things that make a character feel real, so it unnerved me quite a bit.

Young RDJ looked better in Avengers 2.
Tarkin was just okay, it was distracting though.
We burst out laughing at Leia

Watched it twice. Didn't even realise two of the four CGI character were CGI first time. Tarkin kinda jumps you with a strong "uncanny valley" feeling first scene, but then you get used to it and move on to utterly enjoy him being a ruthless badass. Leia's scene is so short you just enjoy it and its over.

This is how I felt, it was just barely into the uncanny valley. To me it was more how he moved than how he looked, there were slight facial movements and jittering that didn't look natural. Combine that with the slight 'off' look to him and thus uncanny.

So does Tarkins family in real life get royalties or something?

Also was the really Fisher with cgi and makeup or some random stand in with cgi? Did carey fisher get paid for this film?

>four
wait really? I knew leia and tarkin obviously, but who else?

>watch it, Vader

They overplayed it. I think they could have gotten away with it if he had fewer lines and shit and didn't show him so much. In some shots he seemed more convincing than in others.

Leia looked shitty

Nice copy pasta. Word for word from another thread

red and gold leader I think

It was really fucking distracting.

It'd be fine if he had just had that one initial scene, albeit dumb. But whoever thought it was a good idea to have a CGI human onscreen with actual humans for extended periods is an idiot.

I'd rather they didn't but I didn't mind it. Leia was more convincing until the last few frames where it looked wonky.

I want a kiss

George Lucas would be rolling over in his grave if he knew how many chinks and niggers were in this shitfest!

It's a character from George Lucas, so I'm not even sure about that

Random stand in with CGI. Someone named Ingvild Deila

The Rebel dudes in charge of the Red and Gold Squadrons were the same who played those characters in ANH.
They made them look younger through CGI.

Red leader and Gold leader from ANH

George Lucas is not dead you MotherFucker you!

>>The ending is beyond terrible

They had the balls to kill off every single major character they introduced, which is the only way the movie makes sense if ANH follows immediately after. The ending was fine.

I cant believe that is true, so why bother paying for actors if you can just CGI them if the company owns the character

because it still looks like shit

Very often an actors sells their likeness along with a roll for merchandise, toys etc. Yes, they took it a bit far here, but I am sure they have every legal right to use the likeness of the actor who portrayed the character.

They paid his family to use his appearance.

They signed over their likeness in 77

Another garbage, lazy nostalgia cash grab that does absolutely nothing new, utterly predictable characters, story. I enjoyed the world building of star wars and some of the robot sass but that's it.

Its the equivalent of photoshopping jennifer love hewitt's face on a nude model

get a load of this faggot

You mean rolling over his nigger wife in his bed to order a heaping helping of Chink food because he lives in reverse hong kong.

no, it's not

if they tried to do anything new, faggots like you would cry that it isn't star wars. The movie is serviceable for what it is, a star wars movie

I really liked Tarkin.

I recognized the CGI instantly. but the way Tarkin was used in the story was perfect.

Watching him cuck Krennic at every turn was amazing.

Did we watch the same movie? The second act is leagues better than the first, what the hell

Why is tarkin in RO? Didnt he die in IV?

Tarkin was perfectly done. The rebel pilots were done well but they just reused lines from episode 4. Leia was the worst. Not crazy bad but noticeable.

The movie tried to do a lot of new shit, what the fuck are you talking about?
This movie gave me hope (GET IT?) that maybe future SW movies won't be soulless rehash of previous movies like TFA was and instead might try to be their own thing.

I liked him too. Yeah, he looked a bit off but it was better to have slightly uncanny valley Tarkin than have him conspicuously absent from a story centered around the death star.

uh...

>The movie tried to do a lot of new shit
it really didn't. It very clearly played it safe and made sure to have the "star wars" feel to it.

he saw the movie and loved it lmao

Awesome, I'm definitely watching this!

Anyone get a Saving Private Ryan vibe from the film? Especially during the beach scenes. Shit was good.

this movie blew the force awakens out of the water

more of a FMJ vibe since they were going for a vietnam feel

I mean, it was different enough to not make me feel like I was watching some rehashed formulaic piece of shit.
That doesn't mean it was good or bad. The prequels were original too, at least when compared with shit like TFA.

>Sup Forums is going to be spammed with star wars shit for the next 2 weeks

But this wasn't trying to be its own thing. It was trying to be a Marvel movie.

Yup, force awakens played it way too safe.

The prequels suffered from bad direction from Lucas that lead to wooden acting and annoying pointless stuff oriented to the kids only like Jar-Jar. In terms of larger plot and worldbuilding, I feel like they were great actually.

That too, I did like how some of those rebels had that Vietnam style gear to them.

No Marvel movie has ended will all of its main characters dying.

The people who knew they were using CGI for him noticed. The people who didn't know that didn't notice.

I didn't mind it and it didn't feel fake to me. I wouldn't have known that was CGI if I didn't already know the character and the fact that his actor has been dead for decades.

This.

I figured they used some similar looking actor. My little brother (16) didn't notice. He's never seen the originals.

Weird, I had no idea he was even in the film and I had no idea the actor was dead and I spotted it the second he turned around. It's passable but still uncanny and very noticeable.