Why do people praise the dark knight for it's gritty portrayal of batman...

why do people praise the dark knight for it's gritty portrayal of batman, but shit on dredd for it's gritty portrayal of 200AD

fuck i mean 2000AD

People shit on Dark Knight? I thought it was DKR they shit on?

Anyway, yes, Dredd is easily better than both those films. It has a much tighter focus that lets the movie focus on the actual characters more. It's not edgy or gritty for the sake of it, that grit is a part of that world, and that world is almost a character in itself.

Dredd is amazing.

no one does that
fuck your bullshit premise

no, people praise the dark knight even though batman comics are cheesy as fuck (and so are all the previous films)
but when it comes to dredd, people hate it because it didn't have enough satire, like the comics

Who shits on Dredd?

I feel like your just making shit up. It wasn't particularly popular, but it's going to be considered a cult classic in a decade.

People shits on dredd?

>ywn see a sequel to Dredd with Karl Urban

im fuckin serious
everyone i've talked to about this movie says it bastardized the comic
what the fuck this is the first time i've ever heard this

Dredd was critically successful just nobody went to go see that shit.
Fault probably lay with their advertising for the film.
Everyone I know who has seen it fucking loved it.

What you should be asking is "why do people praise Nolan's Batman at all". It's a mystery I will never figure out.

You have a very specific social circle if everyone you talk to who has seen Dredd also reads the comic.

I find that hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it.

The comic, much like Batman, is gritty at times and funny at others.
Both work.
My only real complaint about the movie is that it didn't feel that futuristic.

The only people who care that much about Dredd are maybe a fistful of brits.

I don't know why they don't just go the animated sequel route with Karl Urban voicing him, would be cheaper and they could do alot more without live action constraints.

They're probably talking about the Sly Stallone version.

Do you have autism by any chance?

yes i have autism and no they are not talking about the stallone version

>2000AD.
>Judge Dredd
It would help if people actually know if who and what that is.

People grow up with Batman. Simple.

> le autism austims stism tism le autism

WE CAN FOIGHT OW DESIAHS

OOOOooooOOOOOH

UNTIL WE STAHT MAKIN FIYAHS

Dredd is by far the best movie based on comics made in this millenium.

>It's not edgy or gritty for the sake of it, that grit is a part of that world, and that world is almost a character in itself.

The city and its inhabitants are the main character of most of the stories in comics.

>everyone i've talked to about this movie says it bastardized the comic

How?

This movie gets it right in pretty much every way possible. Only major things they changed is making Andersson cadet and starting with post Apocalypse War map in story obviously set before it.

There are generally two kinds of Judge Dredd stories. Epic ones where Dredd is the hero and shorter ones where random judge, citizen or criminal is de facto main character and Dredd is either a force of nature clearing city from the scum or de facto villain of the story.

>The comic, much like Batman, is gritty at times and funny at others.
>Both work.

This, but usually it is gritty and funny at same time. Most Americans just don't get satire and dark comedy.

>My only real complaint about the movie is that it didn't feel that futuristic.

Most of stuff had to feel used and dirty before looking futuristic. Perfectly acceptable given budget restrictions, but they could have looked for cars that bit more modern looking instead of all those 80's Hiaces and VW transporters.

The 2000AD magazine is still pretty big among UK/European comic readers.

WHAT'S THE PRICE OF A JUDGE THESE DAYS???

i've literally never seen anyone shit on Dredd. If it was a disneyfied sci fi with painfully obligatory sounding quips and other random HEY LOOK THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU LAUGH *wink wink* trash throughout the movie i would of absolutely hated it

What a fucking good movie.

bump

Lena headley was fucking comfy in this movie.

>
I remember sitting in a chair, complaining of how sticky it felt and how hard I had to force myself onto it to stop it from folding. And that cheap looking intro, I thoroughly hated the first five two minutes until I saw the slow bit. Then I paid attention and immediately I became trapped. I was so taken in by the movie I forgot about being in a mostly empty cold place and just fell into a trance as I was carried along by this masterful story. The Requiem of MaMa, the bit where she falls. Wow. That was the most beautiful scene that I have ever seen in a movie, ever.

Ive only ever heard good things about Dredd, I'll admit it looked pretty lame but someday Id wanna see it, Dredd as a character alone seems cool.

Judge Dredd is quite literally the only longrunning comic books series worth getting into. It's so much fun. Reading a fuckload of Batman comics is a headache especially when they leave chunks of the story in side comics you've never heard of.