Rogue One: A Kino Story

Unironically, the last hour of this film is the best Star Wars has been in 40 fucking years.

The first half of this movie was weak but the last few sequences genuinely made up for the slogging and the poor character development with SOME of the main cast.

Before you contrarians yell at me that I'm a paid shill, I have obvious complaints. The writing was a bit of a drag, the movie seemed disjointed at times with not knowing what to focus on and I ultimately felt that there was a massive chunk of this film left out somewhere. The reshoots look as if they took away some important plot points or set pieces, some of which you see in the trailer.

But holy fucking shit the last hour was all I wanted from this film. I'm sure some aspies will still hate it...but this film was exceptionally difficult to outright despise.

To think that it's worse than 7 makes you autistic. It just does.

It's an extended toy commercial.

But it's a KINO toy commercial.

>waahh wahhh wahhh there are toys attached to a competently made film that people like

Fuck off.

el bumpo

This is the reason why this board is a cesspool.
Rogue one is one of the best Sci fi films to come out over the last 15 or so years. It's you edgy neckbeards that are so concerned with le ebin edgy anti conformity that can't see a great movie for what it is.

>40 years
Fuck off it hasnt bee-
>it has

Fuck you the best one will be between 2 and 3

Star Wars is Science Fantasy you fucking asshole! Kill yourself! But other than that, i sympathize wit ya

>between 2 and 3
What...?

That would actually be great desu

finally the voice of reason in a court of madmen

clone wars I guess

I don't understand what that user is saying...what movie between 2 and 3?

honestly? I agree.
took the movie a while to get going and I almost fell asleep, and there are a few gripes here and there in the first half.

But man, that last 45 minute section was great. no light sabers (except for Vader) and the two heroes didn't need to kiss.

The movie raised one grade/score from this part alone

>toys
>for anyone except children

You have to be at least 18 to post here

Do you have trouble reading, user? Where was it implied that I said anything about WHO buys the toys?

the story is very just there

robot is cool and thats all i really took away

cgi tarkin and princess leia are very weird

darth vader mask looks weird, the neck brack part particularly looks out of place because it seems like rubber rather than shiny glossy plastic that it usually looks like

the main actress isnt a mary sue which is nice

ip man actor aint bad and I kinda enjoyed it and wouldve rather just watched a force pushing ip man at the end of the day but w/e

movie felt like a 6.5 they just keep throwing "things I know" at me and it feels disgusting at times

>the main actress isnt a mary sue
Neither was Rey
>inb4 you get triggered

>darth vader mask looks weird, the neck brack part particularly looks out of place because it seems like rubber rather than shiny glossy plastic that it usually looks like
It is literally an exact replica of his suit in IV...

For a movie set in a fantasy sci fi universe, you'd think they would give a speaking role to at least ONE other fucking alien than ackbar 2.0.

Seriously, they tease all of these cool ass creature designs like that squid mindrape thing or the one in the cell with Rey in the beginning, but you never see them outside of these incidental ass scenes.

It's like Gareth was trying to copy JJ, but only reproduced the worst parts of his directing style.

I just finished watching the movie less than an hour ago. I went in cautious but not negative. As a side thing I thought some real creativity and soul might slip through the Disney net. Goddamn was I wrong. This movie made The Force Awakens look inspired.

The writing felt nonexistent outside of forcing the cast from plot-point to plot-point. I think reshoots might be to blame for this but all I know for sure is that in the end product NOBODY had a real personality and that this was one of the least character-driven movies I've ever seen. I get that this is the behind the scenes crew of the Rebellion, but that doesn't mean they're supposed to feel like nobodies. I was expecting them to flesh out people who aren't Skywalkers but instead it made them feel more hollow than ever. The protagonist being the daughter of the Death Star engineer could have been completely taken out of the movie and it would have worked fine. Mickelson does absolutely nothing but collect a paycheck. I don't want to say anything too mean about the protagonist considering what she had to work with but she was a total blank slate. Holy hell did she having NOTHING going on. She just gets hauled from place to place by circumstance and her attitude changes slightly at the end of the movie. Out of the entire main cast only the Robot had anything resembling a personality, and that's just because he's allowed to quip.

That's what this movie is, imagine capeshit Guardians of the Galaxy nonsense without the quips. It's as fun as it sounds.

On the topic of the neck, maybe it's the same as the old design, but in A New Hope I never once thought to myself 'Wow, Vader's neck looks fat as fuck and all rubbery. Did nobody on the set point this out?'

Gareth Edwards seems good at buildup and creating an atmosphere for final showdowns, they were awesome here and in Godzilla
But damn he has to polish his scripts more

For what? The Alan Tudyk robot? He was pretty cool.

>buildup
Do you mean that first 90 minutes of the movie where the cast creep through gloomy shitholes and nothing happens? Is that the good buildup?

The only new character in this that to me was not 2d was Krennic. For the first half of the film I thought he would be a standard "sissy" villain with his lisp and cleanliness, but towards the end he really manned up and seemed like a threat, without loosing any of the characterization from the beginning.

Not saying he was super cool, but way better than anyone else in the movie.

why? because of lots of action?

should michael bay do rogue one part 2?

*will* be.

>things I know

we should call this the "redditing" of a movie

>HEY DID YOU GET THAT REFERENCE GUYS?

It's really weird for me to see people writing things like this, and lots of published critical opinion like this too.

It's because the film is shot in high def.

ANH doesn't look bad because the resolution is low enough to hide the rubbery look of it. R1 was fucking shot in 8k.

has disney learned their lesson yet?

flashy visuals dont make up for bad writing

it is michael bay fare otherwise.

>it's bad because not enough quips
I hate people like you. Stop ruining movies for the rest of us.

Fuck off Michael Bay is a legitimately good director who just doesn't mind shit scripts. He makes bad movies but don't treat him like a bad filmmaker.

I think a re-do of Vader's suit is needed if they want to try him again. Some kind of shiny plastic-like material might look better. His helmet looked distractingly odd. Also the voice was off. Not badly but enough to bother me.

What's weird?

The movie had some genuine kino in there. Everything about the movie tied into a central theme of finding purpose making a sacrifice for the rebellion, to give the alliance a more grounded feel than before.

>Jyn
Former rebel who was abandoned by Saw and is therefore reluctant to trust/help them, directionless wanderer who finds purpose in self sacrifice for her rebel father.

>Cassian
Jaded rebel who is constantly conflicted over whether or not what he was doing was right because he was a dirty operative, found peace by dying doing something just for once.

>K2SO
A reprogrammed empire droid who the rebellion won't even trust with a gun who feels like an outsider, dies for his friends and the rebellion after Jyn finally trusts him enough to give him a gun.

>Chirrut
Former monk or whatever in the jedi's kyber temple who's lost his colleagues and the people who gave him his purpose, dies by putting his full faith in both the force and the rebellion.

>Baze
Cynical mercenary type guy who believes in nothing, gives up his life as a final fuck you to the empire after learning to understand the faith his friend died for and following him to the end because now he could believe in something.

Say what you will about the first two acts being shit, but this is one of the few times SW has tried to carry a theme throughout a movie and I'm glad they had the balls to kill everyone off.

Shitposting, shilling and memeing aside, is this even remotely worth watching? After fanfiction-tier VII and underwhelming Rebels, I have zero hope for Star Wars under Disney rule

I don't know, I guess I feel like when you put Star Wars on something people are completely unwilling to read beyond what's directly spelled out to them. It's like, I only accept the toy commercial - but I criticize the toy commercial.

It's on par with ROTJ unless you like ewoks.

What about Saw's second in command? Or does he not count because of his subtitled ayy language?

Thanks, will at least pirate it then even though I personally prefer Prequel and Old Republic eras

That's not what I was getting at. I'm saying that as lame as they are quips at least give characters something to do other than carry out the plot of the movie. The robot seems to be by far the most memorable character with pretty much everyone. Why do you think that is? He doesn't do anything remarkable beyond quip and die sacrificing himself for the cause. Everyone else sacrificed themselves and nobody cares. I think it's the quips that endeared him to people. He at least feels like he's got something going on besides killing people and hating the Empire. Ideally they'd make their characters memorable and endearing without having to use such cheap and trashy methods but they're better than nothing, which is what most of the cast got. Protagonist (I keep calling her that because I've forgotten her name despite seeing the movie 2 hours ago) had absolutely nothing going on. Not even her lame 'I rebel' line from the trailer. She just gets pushed from place to place, kills stormtroopers, then resolves the plot conflict and dies, like you don't already know.

I think it actually made The Force Awakens feel inspired. The first 90 minutes of the movie I found to be legitimately bad. Not 'bad for Star Wars' or 'bad to the lore' or anything petty like that. Straight up boring and ugly filmmaking. The big final sequence is watchable but doesn't come close to redeeming it in my eyes. The ending sequence is on par with Force Awakens while everything else a new low for Star Wars by far. Imagine 'I hate sand' on a 90 minute loop. That's how I felt.

If you're even remotely hard to please I'd give this a second though.

The friend I saw this with wanted to see it in 3D and holy shit we both regretted it halfway through. This movie is absolutely not shot with 3D in mind, it's blurry and unclear and physically painful at times.

I mean I guess I should have known better but it was uniquely unpleasant.

The third act is maybe the best in any Star Wars movie. It honestly rivals Jedi, and might have been as good/better than Jedi's ending if it weren't for Jedi having two movies before it for buildup, and Jedi still had the "first half is shit" problem.
The first act is messy and throws you around a lot whereas the second is pretty slow, and the characters other than Jyn, Cassian and K2 are kinda shallow.

But the third act redeems it hard. I remember being fairly negative through the first half and by the end I was loving it. At the very least, it's miles different from TFA, if that's what you're concerned about. I liked TFA but if TFA wasn't your thing, you'll probably like this better.

doesnt anyone find it a BIT odd that vader, a force using god, cant sense that there is a 40 fucking mile flaw with his death star?

>I only accept the toy commercial - but I criticize the toy commercial
I'm not following you at all. Try this again without the memeiness. Try a real sentence.

>Straight up boring and ugly filmmaking
Can you elaborate?

Why didnt IP man use the force to activate the main switch instead of walking to it?

I think you're going way too far, the beginning is pretty flat, yeah, but it's leagues ahead of anything in the prequels.

Comparing this movie to 90 minutes of I hate sand is purposefully disingenuous. I don't what you have to gain from doing this but take it to a different thread. There's actual discussion going on here.

If you like Star Wars user you are gonna love this. As someone who despises TFA i could say that i enjoyed this film a lot. It struggles a bit in the first part and you can really feel the rewrites and reshoots but the visuals/starwars feeling are there. This is the type of movie you want to give money to because its well made.

yes, agreed

if you dont write characters you dont give a shit about, you wont give a shit when they die.

it's like a random stormtrooper dying. who cares.

It's best not to worry about the capabilities/limitations of force users. Mostly because you're not really supposed to think about it. It's just a fairly overt way of shoving destiny in the plot.

Mousskeeters are pathetic.

You forgot about The Rook

To be farily honest.. the main character has a lot of depth and not so 2 dimensional.. The best character arch i'ved seen since Empire strikes back.

Because it ties in with an overall concept of dying for a cause, so the shallowness of Chirrut and Baze is something you can kinda put aside. It's like how watching a bunch of nameless rebels die to take down the shield is still sad, because the actual filmmaking to make it sad is there.

Jyn, Cassian and K2 are still pretty alright in terms of development though. It's just left for the second half of the movie in kind of a clumsy way.

It's extremely dull, by the numbers and 'dark.' By dark I mean everything will strain your eyes slightly, all the sets are brown-grey, shadows thoughtlessly splayed over everything, all the rebels and aliens look like they've been rolling in shit. It's just very aesthetically displeasing, like a Neil Blompamkpf movie but accidental rather than a deliberate design direction.

The characters go nowhere, the central plot thread (gotta find the secret empire stuff) is very boring, lots of time is devoted to things that feel half-assed and unnecessary (Forest Whitaker's role is absolutely TERRIBLE and could be cut with nothing of value gone). I could go on but I'll cover the rest in other posts.

I did straight forget about the pilot yeah, but he kinda blends in with K2. Former empire dude who changes sides and wants to prove himself, albeit being tortured by Saw means if anything he's the one with the trust issues that he gets over eventually.

agreed. the theme of "sacrifice for the cause" would not have worked without killing all the characters and they actually pulled it off.

Did anyone feel that making the characters not people you'd care about was intentional? Even if it was a mistake, I still feel like it was intentional.

They were trying really hard to go a darker route (thank you for that) and that was part of it. The cold unfeeling practicality of war.

I could just be slightly autistic though.

Well people kind of bitch about the first act being all over the place, right? But I liked that: the movie opens with us seeing Imperial oppression on a bunch of different planets, and there's a uniformity to the Empire that we don't see on the planets themselves. I like that the planet of Jeddah is basically given the room of an entire other character in the movie - Jeddah, e.g. is as much a character as Saw Gerrera and essentially Saw is a microcosm of Jeddah. I like that we cut from the ruined statues of an alien civilization to a huge Imperial prison vehicle crushing over the dirt.

Because this movie abandons the moral context of the Rebellion and Empire to some extent in terms of actions alone right? The Empire is only more evil because it is bigger and more capable of evil: the Rebels can't make their own Death Star. So if you want to think of the Rebels as the good guys, which I do, you need to look at this on a broader context. And it's not only the case that the Empire is oppressive, it's also uniform. The vibrancy and depth of culture in the universe is extinguished before it. This is what I think the writers meant when they got on their SocJus kick and this is what I think people mostly miss when debating that in favour of talking about muh women or muh black man or whatever.

>actually have to continue this in another post

What I particularly like about the prequels is that they're character-driven stories. This makes them very nuanced and rewatchable. Everything happens because of what a particular character wants.

Rogue One is the opposite. The entire cast feel like interchangeable pawns united by a simple cause which we're already familiar with because of the three main-line movies which revolved around it, with the key difference being that they had other things going on. The Prequels follow the fall of the republic and the war that brings it all down. We see this through the lens of Anakin's relationships with Padme and Obi-Wan. They're all key players in what's going on in the big picture, but their personal story is the focus and they're what holds my interest. In Rogue One what holds my interest? Protagonist (again, I don't know her name) is looking for her dad because the Empire took him. Okay. That's a start. But she has no relationship with him and this goal is only referred to in a handful of lines and feels about as compelling as moisture farming did in A New Hope. Then when they do meet the moment is given almost no fanfare because of the ugly blinding action going on all over the place and all that changes with their meeting is the main plot being pushed forwards. Her relationship with her father is effectively resolved by seeing the hologram. Every change she goes through in the entire movie is contained within that one impersonal and kind of boring scene. That's her. She wants to not die, then she hears her dad's alive and decides to fight the Empire. That's it, character done.

Not even to get started on the rest of the cast. They don't even get hologram moments. They just want to fight the empire, so they do.

I don't recall seeing any instance of him using the force to move anything prior to that. Besides, he'd have died not long after anyway.

It's a joke, sperg-burglar.

I felt the characters were more subdued than the upbeat, uh, slightly childlike characters of TFA sure. But were they black holes as characters? I don't think so. People say Jyn had no character but I liked her whole arc about being trapped and abandoned in childhood and having that childish self-interest overcome as she actually rejects the message of her father and realises she can't be inactive in her own future, in the galaxy's future. I thought that was a great little guy protagonist for a Star Wars film. Every character in the film has a ton of baggage with the Rebels and the Empire and they resolve it by choosing a final action and death. That's sort of the point, isn't it? The Death Star is intolerable: the final weapon. You have to make your choice.

So it feels like people won't consider anything more than you know, oh this is for nostalgia or oh this is so they can sell toys. But to me this movie had more depth handled better than the last 4 Star Wars movies, too.

On the "ugliness" point: I just didn't think it was ugly. I liked the scoping shots of new planets as we got a slow introduction to them. I loved the crowds we saw. The contrast between the organic dirtiness of ordinary life and the sterility and lights of the empire. The space shots almost all looked amazing.

>mom dies in introduction because completely fucking retarded. Main character doesn't give a shit. What is emotional weight?
>posting the name of the planet at the bottom of the screen with every location change even though they said where they were going or where they are within 3 seconds of that immersion breaking bit of text appearing. Doesn't make any sense to post it anyways since these are all fictional places and none of us give a shit other than "desert planet", "rain planet" etc.
>Pacing at the beginning of the film is complete clusterfuck, transitioning back and forth between locations in the most scattered way possible.
>Rain planet scenes shouldve been cut entirely. Had no purpose in the film and it made no sense for the characters to be there. At most, have a scene where main villain kills dad to tie that loose end. Or don't. Literally nobody cares and nothing changes because of this scene.
>It looks like Darth Vader likes to hang out on the planet where he killed his wife, gets maimed and burnt to darth bacon. At least i assume its the same planet because they didn't post the name of the planet on the bottom because consistency is for competent films.
>Darth Vader Lava Planet scene is completely worthless other than to introduce vader. "Yay vader screentime" says the suits not realizing that his later scene might've been more impactful without this stupid one.
>Death Star laser kills thing in super slo motion now for convenience>consistency
>major sequence in the ending centers around telling the rebel fleet to destroy the force field to get the transmission through even though they are already trying to do that. Only after getting that superfluous order does fish man pull his head out of his ass.
>Oh and they can transmit information fine through the forcefield with the little transmitter but the fuckhuge one can't do shit with it up.
>That fucking joystick interface to access the death star plans. were those things on HDDs?

Garbage movie.

No it's not.

>prequels
>rewatchable
You have odd tastes.

Now who's being disingenuous?

I think that videogames and the prequels have sort of spoiled the force for us. Ip Man never used the force to run sonic-speed or jump impossible heights or cast giant projection waves. It just gave him heightened senses and interpersonal insight, more similar to the original films. It's quite possible that externally projecting the force like that was beyond him.

But also the narrative purpose of that scene was for him to make a sacrifice, as has been mentioned above. Also, with the way he kept chanting that mantra throughout the film it's possible he struggled with some inner doubt and submitting himself to fate like that was a way to reaffirm his faith to himself. But of course I'm ass-pulling at this point, that was never clearly portrayed in the film.

About the prequels? Episode 3 is rewatchable, mostly for Sheev, but definitely not 1 or 2.

Surely you took more from that paragraph than the word 'rewatchable.'

this is why the movie is shit.

people know the asian guy as IP Man and not their rogue 1 name.

are the characters memorable? nope.

Actually I'm extremely tired so I'm not in the mood for in-depth discussion so that was merely a comment on something simple.

Agreed, the characters are painted very broad and shallow. Not irredeemable, I wouldn't say the movie is shit, but it's a major flaw. There's more theme than character.

Forrest Whitacker's character was completely pointless, why did they even bother keeping him in when we never get to see his relationship with Jyn?
Also why the fuck does he kill himself when he could have been a huge help to the alliance with his tactics? I was hoping he would be the guy in the group who goes full commando on the stormtroopers but nope, he just decides to die with his shitty mountain for no reason.

which makes the "sacrifice" idea weak.

you care if you are emotionally invested in a character. but if they arent written well, so what?

Just skip the first half and you'll be good, it final battle is worth watching in the theater (honestly probably the best space battle since ROTJ).

I thought he existed solely because mentors dying has become a Star Wars meme now. All he does is establish himself as a mentor, then die. I think that he might have been a real character before re-writing and re-shooting damned this movie to scatterbrained mediocrity but what we got was a walking, talking meme.

Saw it for the second time today. The first act had 7 scene changes in 20 mins.

Everything was worth it for Vader's Murder Minute.

That was the most legitimately frightening he's ever been in the movies.

>The first act had 7 scene changes in 20 mins
Been noticing a lot of movies doing this lately. Civil War. BvS. Rogue One. TFA.

What's the deal?

I enjoyed the shot where he is walking through the battlefield. We are all made to wonder whether his force powers are real or not. I thought it was really well-made

I disliked that. I felt like he was cheapened by it for the sake of having something to generate easy hype. I like Darth Vader as a sinister Black Knight/Fallen Samurai type figure. This scene treated him like a hulking killing machine that fucks people up and makes annoying 12 year olds giggle with excitement.

>that scene where Vader choked the Australian with a lisp and then looked over his shoulder and said:
>"Psssh nothing personal kid. Don't CHOKE on your own ambition."

I watched this opening night with some of my normie friends, and one of them said, "what a fucking dumb thing to say," right there in the theater.

Honestly, why did they put this and all the other stupid "humor" into Rogue One?

Also, the characters were boring, the music wasn't as good as it was in the OT and the prequels, Saw Gerrera (Che Guevara) was too on the nose along with the terrorist good guys vs military bad guys, the CGI faces should have been better, the movie was too long, the first half was slow, the nods to the other movies felt forced, James Earl Jones wasn't even trying, and the main character was all teeth.

6/10 movie. The battle scenes were fine. First person X-Wing shots looked cool. All I wanted was Saving Private Ryan in space. I got an okay flick that just wasn't worth the cost of admission.

Movie rankings:
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
The Clone Wars

I think he was spookiest in Empire but he's pretty brutal and terrifying at the end of Rogue One

cant develop characters?

distract people with scenery!

The whole movie was incredible.

This is the best Star Wars movie ever made.

Your taste is so shit its unbelievable.

Movie rankings:

The Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
The Force Awakens

In what world is a movie that isn't worth the cost of admission a 6/10. How hard does a movie have to displease you before you'll call it bad?

The 3 main characters, Jyn, Cassian, and oddly enough the droid, aren't terribly written. Not as human as they could be but at least relatable.

What I think makes the sacrifice thing work, at least partially, is that despite the rebellion being portrayed as messy and flawed, and having to do some terrible things of its own to survive. There's still a hint of idealism, a future without the oppression of the empire, that validates the character's sacrifice. Everyone struggles with whether or not a cause can be worth dying for and the final act of the movie is essentially them affirming that there can be. Like I said it's not done brilliantly, and to be honest most of the deaths of rogue one don't work on an emotional level, but it executes the theme well. And for that I can't rightfully call it terrible or say that it doesn't work as a whole.

Seemed really dark and muddy to me. My brother bought tickets and was really hoping for 2D

>the last hour of this film is the best Star Wars has been in 40 fucking years.

Maybe the "lol reshoots, that means it's bad" meme will finally die now, since the ending of this movie was one of the most obviously completely redone things

>can communicate through barrier

>cant send data through barrier

?????

yea but it's just star wars tho

and it fucking worked

I bought 3 action figures afterwards

I don't give a shit,the hammerhead ramming the star destroyer was the tightest shit since the original trench run.

It's clear from the trailers that the major function of the reshoots was to give Krennic and Jyn a showdown, even if it was pretty perfunctory.

I always forget that adult toy collectors exist. I'm not even making fun of you it's just strange to me, whatever brings you joy I guess, namaste.

>"hey, the weakness is this 40 mile section here"

too difficult for these heroes I guess