It turns out that the small thermal exhaust port that Luke shoots to blow up the Death Star was not a design flaw but...

>It turns out that the small thermal exhaust port that Luke shoots to blow up the Death Star was not a design flaw but an intentional weakness installed by a disgruntled engineer because of his anger at being taken from his daughter

BRAVO DISNEY, YOU RUINED STAR WARS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=41PMJoeIDos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You mean fixed Star Wars.

It's a design flaw to everyone but Galen, user. The Imperials don't know that he intentionally put it in the design while no one was looking. The rebels as a whole never got the message that the design was intentionally there, just that it existed as something to exploit.

Before this movie:
>hurr durr why would they design a huge weak spot like that?
>empire 2 stoopid

after this movie:
>THE EXHAUST PORT ISN'T A DESIGN FLAW????? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It still needed space magic to work, so fuck off.

Wrong. It saves star wars. The longest running joke in star wars was the fact that the empire left such a weakness exist in the first place. The movie shows that the empire had no idea.

So, how does that shit explain the same flaw in Death Star 2.0 and Starkiller Base?
How did Empire even manage to operate and keep Death Star functioning without ever noticing a straight hole that blows up the whole things from one tiny shot

This.

You people are such unbearably contrarian faggots. Here's a hint to make you much less insufferable people: A contrarian opinion isn't a substitute for an interesting or clever opinion

>wtf i hate star wars now
actually this was the only Ok-ish thing about the movie.

The second death star was incomplete and they flew directly to the core to blow it up.
Did you even watch jedi?

kek really? don't you remember? the Death Star 2.0 was still under construction and a large chunk of it was still not even built yet. That's why the rebels wanted to destroy it before its functional.

I swear people just don't pay attention anymore.

user did you even watch ROTJ and TFA?

Half of the second death star is literally open to space, being that it was still in construction. The shaft that is pivotal to it's destruction was big enough for ships to fly through, whereas the one on DS1 wasn't.
Starkiller, meanwhile, had to have key structures on it's surface blown up for everything to destabilize and explode. No exhaust ports or long shafts were necessary for it.

If the death star 2.0 was fully complete without any flaws the rebels never would have attacked it and sheev's plan wouldn't have worked

Did you even watch the movie?

how embarassing for you

>Everyone online is one person

Congratulations on the autism

t. low-iq consumerists defending their corporate masters

it wasn't a "weak spot" on the original death star, it literally took space jesus to use his magic powers to guide the rocket inside of it. in the normal context of their world, no fighter pilot would have been able to do such a thing. and the "weakness" wasn't the hole, it was the possibility of the chain reaction explosion that they were going for. the hole is just a hole, ships always have holes.

DS2 didn't have a flaw, it was still under construction so the Rebels could just fly right in and hit the same thing that this exhaust led too.

Hell the exhaust port makes sense as long as you accept that something needs to be exhausted from the DS in order to work. It was easy explained originally as either a simple oversight in terms of defense given the size of the DS, or just an unfortunate necessity. The Imperials didn't even have enough TIEs to adequately screen the DS which was another problem.

They also never really considered the possibility that someone would just use starfighters to attack thinking that would be suicide. It was geared towards defending against Capital ships. And the DS2 was being built with both in mind.

And the exhaust port was actually shielded, but susceptible to certain torpedoes. Unless that has been changed now.

Hell ISDs had all sorts of design issues in the EU. They were jokingly referred to as 110,000 design flaws by characters. Victory ISDs were susceptible to Trench Run Syndrome due to a lack of proper defenses on its sides, leaving a gap where you could make a run on the bridge comparatively safely.

Weaknesses in tech was what kept SW at least somewhat interesting, and arguably realistic in terms of scale and what not.

A lot of people just never bothered to look into the lore beyond the movies.

Can't remember what Starkiller Base's issue was as I have mostly blocked that movie from my mind. But given a lot of the shit in it they simply did not give any fucks about technical aspects of the setting.

Death Star 2.0 is incomplete

Starkiller base literally destroyed because Han blow up the access tunnel that led to thermal oscillator, give the access for the x-wing to go through it and destroyed it from the inside

pay attention before you bullshitting

It's not the same people complaining. In this case, it's purists getting mad at autists.

again do people not watch the movies? they had a targeting computer that any pilot could have used but Luke chooses not to.

how did you want this flaw to appear? just an oversight?

>Literally four movies where the conflict is Death Stars
Bravo

they literally say one in a million shot, even with the computer

I feel like the people who shill for Disney/Marvel don't actually watch any movies before 2000.

Like the guy who missed before Luke?

>>hurr durr why would they design a huge weak spot like that?
I literally have never heard one person bitching about this.

No stupid. Most assumed the port was there because the empire was just arrogant assholes

Was not the designer an ant?

How can you be a 'purist' about Star Wars and not be an autist?

>You people are such unbearably contrarian faggots

Congrats, you've described more than half of Sup Forums, pretty much the whole site in general. Sup Forums is unbearably contrarian too, fuckin hipsters everywhere

No faggot it was bigger so the exhaust port was bigger

Galen's sabotage:
>a small explosion in a certain spot would blow up the whole Death Star

The rebellion's subsequent discovery from the plans:
>that small explosion can coincidentally be triggered by shooting some little exhaust port

What are you on about? That exhaust port wasn't Galen's doing.........

Not everyone grew up bullseyeing womprats in the T-35 back home Luke. Check your backwater privilege.

No no your right. Completly forgot about that. Have not seen it in a while.

He didn't watch the movie like half of ITT.

>talks scornfully about "consumerists defending their corporate masters"
>proceeds to discuss the plot of a corporate garbage movie for children

Holy fuck.

>they literally say one in a million shot, even with the computer
No. That was Han Solo being hyperbolic.

> design flaw isn't a result of empire's overconfidence and hubris
> retconned into being intentional

completely negates the magic of a new hope. absolutely disgusting, not even memeing

Don't worry. They did both. The tunnel is overconfidence and hubris, but the actual chain reaction being powerful enough to obliterate it is a result of sabotage.

Which is even funnier considering the whole 'Never tell a Corellian the odds' thing.

But also the difficulty of the shot was raised during the Rebel briefing and only Luke had no issue with it. And kid of came off as an asshole about it.

*T-16

This

Thank you. It has been a while.

just think of this shit as Fan Fiction
PROBLEM SOLVED

Where the fuck have you been? Autists have been complaining about for as long as I've been on the internet(late 90's).

Spacebattles?

It's a difficult shot to make but not impossible.

Mads deserved way more time in the movie, actually I think the whole story should have revolved around his career in the Empire and his eventual betrayal leading to the grand battle (which I personally thought was the best one since ROTJ).

>HA HA HA We are the strongest in the galaxy let make a weakness to give our enemy a chance *twirl mustache*

No user you are the stupid one

Fixed tfa's biggest plot hole.
Only thing I'm mad about is the low amount of bothens

I thought most assumed it was an oversight. You know, like what they say in the movie.

You do realize that the makers of titanic thought it was unsinkable?

Also, for the most part the empire was correct. It took like using the force to get the Torpedo into the tube.

They had hubris, but honestly thought that no one would attack with just starfighters. Otherwise they would have had a bigger compliment of their own on board to screen properly.

Anyone who has ever played Rebellion as the Empire knows this all too well.

Is that really it?

They didn't expect a head on attack from an iceberg

i agree. the type of opinion that I value the most is a "clever opinion"

The Empire didn't expect attacks from fighters.

To be frank, it can still be interpreted in both RO and OT way to satisfy the fans. For example

>Mad made an intentionally flaw
>Some engineers found out eventually and reported to Imperial command
>High Ranking or even Tarkin brushed it off since the chance of exploit is still too small to be considered sabotage or critical weakness since attack with starfighters would be suicide

I think they pick a pretty save way to explain the exhaust, only Autists are bottom bother by this

Yes they did

It wasn't broken to begin with.

Don't you worry, sonnyjim. LOTR will get the same treatment as Star Wars (you can already start thanking Christopher Tolkien). That whole "eagle" meme will get "fixed" in the LOTR prequels AKA Silmarillion movies.

>Tarkin knows that the rebels know of a weakness within the ship
>They're quite successfully outmaneuvering the blast towers and are attacking in a coordinated formation on a specific part of the battle station repeatedly
>"Evacuate in our time of triumph? You underestimate their chances!"
I like that this movie mad Tarkin's actions in A New Hope fucking retarded. The movie tried to retcon a stupid plot point in the original movie by creating another even stupider plot point. Nothing about the continuation feels organic. It will always feel like something done after the fact to patch up something, like some convoluted bullshit about the kessel run being about manoeuvrability, despite the fact that Han was talking about speed. It's like they tried to weld a pipe with duct tape

You are either bad at trolling or incurably stupid and I hope for your sake it is the first one

Even better.

This fucking exhaust port it FORTY SIX MILES LONG

So they have a 46 mile two meter wide shaft that goes directly to the fucking hyper matter core... and they don't protect it. It's never even explained what the fuck it is exhausting out.

No they didn't. It even says so in the movie.

"Well the empire doesn't consider a small one man fighter to be any threat".
youtube.com/watch?v=41PMJoeIDos

You are objectively wrong.

Wait, Christopher's going to let them make more movies? I thought he was pretty adamantly against that.

Why didn't they just have the pipe make an S shape at some point?

>head on attack from an iceberg
you're a moron

Or you know..... cover it up?

Surround it with turrets?

Use tractor beams to ground any fighters that get close?

You can't be serious

Let us be entirely fair here. He knows Vader will choke a bitch for not having faith, and for failing him. I would believe that would play some part in his decision.

Also hubris. And precautions were taken with the exhaust port. Just not enough of them.

Even though it was after the fact the Kessel run explanation did make sense. Best we are going to get for that sort of oversight.

Sheev knew all about the flaw in the Death Star. He let it remain in case the station ever went rogue or was somehow taken over. Only a skilled pilot, guided by the force, could make the shot anyway, so Sheev knew the flaw was a failsafe that only Vader could exploit, so he wasn't worried. He didn't foresee the rebels getting their own force sensitive pilot.

I can live with this

There was no need to explain it. The movie should have had the empire oblivious to what they were stealing, or at the very least the empire shouldn't know that Mads sabotaged the movie. Just a kind of odd choice I feel could have been ironed out had they had more time. Movie was okay. Felt a little too "neat". Tarkin looked like garbage. Cap America 3, Ant Man, Tron, Rogue One... what's Disney's end game? Do they want to replace actors completely? I give them props for trying but this. Oh my god. Tarkin looked like dogshit.

Except the force wasn't required to make the shot.

The force wasn't the magic dues ex machina that saved the day in IV. Luke just used the force instead of the computer because he trusted it more.

Literally anyone of the pilots could have made the shot. No where did the plans require a force sensitive pilot:

That head canon.

no one gives a fuck what you think tripfag

No they did expect they just didn't think it would matter

>Exhaust port
>Design flaw

The targeting computer missed, remember

>eagle meme

The ring would have corrupted the eagles, it corrupts everyone even Frodo and Sam. fuck off.

>huge weak spot
>the rebels are clearly uncomfortable with the plan
>targeting computers ineffective
>requires the force to actually successfully hit

what a fucking retarded "weak point"

>and they don't protect it

It was shielded. It had to be hit at a specific angle because of that. With special ordinance. This was covered in the Rebel briefing in ANH.

george lucas ruined star wars 17 years ago
this shit is just shit icing on the shit cake

bitch had big teef

If it had been any more conspicuous the Empire would have found it and fixed it.

Imagine being this mad about this. You're now imagining yourself as a retard.

So like the Titanic and the iceberg? Full circle complete. Thanks for your contributions.

Why does the rebel assault plan look like a butthole?

It's not like they had any choice at that point.

you're trying too hard

Heat

its not a weak point when its an impossible shot unless you have magic

>Or you know..... cover it up?

Go cover up the exhaust port on your car. Let us know how that works out.

Your tractor beam idea isn't bad though. But that was part of the reason for the trench run. Less defenses and none of the tractor beams on the DS could reach it.

They literally did not expect someone to make suicide runs with starfighters.

The excess heat from a planet destroying laser isbvented 46 miles in a 2 meter wide exhaust port...

star wars is fucking dumb now

stop making prequels that add backstory we dont need to fucking see

That was because the pilot jerked the stick

It makes a 90 degree turn right at the entrance. The only way the torpedoes go in and travel perfectly down the tube is with The Force.

Fuck this movie. It's not a god damn design flaw. It's simply not accounting for Jedi attacking it. You know, those guys the Empire says they wiped out.

head_cannon.exe

You don't have to cover it entirely, just enough not to let the blasts hit the exhaust port.

The Death Star was outfitted with thousands upon thousands of blast turrets, shield generators, artificial gravity and atmosphere, they went all our fucking everywhere... and were made to believe they just ignored the exaust port that took a straight shot to the core

It isn't though.

On a related note
I wonder what it would be like to work on the rim of the beam
I mean, in Rogue One you can see two guys working the controls very fucking close to where the beam shoots from
I mean, it can destroy planets
How the fuck does being that close and being that exposed to the beam not fuck them up?

>The Blown up Death Star simulation look like the Republic emblem
>Empire super weapon being destroy give birth to a reborn Republic

Holy Shit now this is pottery, Lucas truly is the master since the beginning