Post an artist/band and a sound that's not typical of their sound, and others say if they'd listen to it

Post an artist/band and a sound that's not typical of their sound, and others say if they'd listen to it.

Example:
>Fleet Foxes
>Martial Industrial

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1sBb4DVR_7AU04gYpLNfUwqyozQ2OLwSIHksSLf8OIzk/edit?usp=drivesdk
rateyourmusic.com/search?searchtype=a&searchterm=red hot chili peppers
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Grimes
Black metal

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pop Rock

Jay Reatard
Bubblegum Pop

nah
if she screamed maybe
that is one of their primary genres

Built To Spill
Midwest emo

>that is one of their primary genres

No it's not dude. RHCP are making music that is just as good and as popular as they were 25 years ago. But they aren't "pop rock".

Nope. They were never Pop Rock. Alternative Rock and Funk Rock is all they are, with elements from different genres of ROCK. Not Pop.
docs.google.com/document/d/1sBb4DVR_7AU04gYpLNfUwqyozQ2OLwSIHksSLf8OIzk/edit?usp=drivesdk

100% yes, though their brand of indie rock isn't all that far off from midwest emo

Thank you for being a smart person.

>rateyourmusic.com/search?searchtype=a&searchterm=red hot chili peppers
???

Perfume Genius
Power electronics

Yeah, could be interesting

>thinking RYM is correct
>not reading my posts properly
Retard.

Why are you still doing this?

okay someone explain who let the red hot chilis autists in

it's not shameful to be a pop rock band - by the way is RHCP at their full pop rock extent and imo it's their best album by a mile

>RHCP are making music that is just as good
That's your opinion
>and as popular as they were 25 years ago
That's totally untrue. When was the last time they had a Number 1 single on the Hot 100? What about Top 10?

sleaford mods
musique concrète

Pop rock is a term that should be used for generic corporate bullshit like U2.

RHCP are way above that

okay this has to be bait

Because it's the truth. Idiots still think bands like RHCP, Green Day, Linkin Park, Muse, MCR, and (although the most accurate of the rest) Foo Fighters were ever Pop Rock, disregarding that none of them sound even remotely like Pop Rock, popularity ≠ pop (if it were, why are Indie Pop, Chamber Pop, Baroque Pop, Glitch Pop, Jangle Pop and Noise Pop not as widely popular as other genres), and that they're Alternative Rock with elements of other genres. (1/2)

>RHCP are way above that

Kero Kero Bonito
Industrial Hip Hop

Sturgill Simpson

Ritual Drone

RHCP - Alternative Rock with elements of Funk and Rap Rock
Green Day - Alternative Rock and Pop Punk (Pop Punk ≠ Pop Rock)
Linkin Park - Nu Metal, Alternative Rock/Metal, Rap Rock/Metal, Electronic Rock (only OML was Pop Rock)
Muse - Alternative Rock with an emphasis on Prog and Space Rock
MCR - Pop Punk, Alternative Rock (P-HC on debut, Pop Rock ONLY on Danger Days)
Foo Fighters - Post-Grunge, Hard Rock and Alternative Rock

(2/2)

>MCR
>pop punk
Lmao if you think any MCR song is pop punk you have no leg to stand on when discussing genres

But why does this particular "truth" matter so much to you? What do you gain from posting your google doc everywhere aside from being annoying?

absolutely
I'd buy an emo rework of Perfect From Now On in a second

I would listen out of pure curiosity

BBNG - Post Hardcore

Then what is it? It's certainly not Emo.

Simple. Those bands have much more depth than people realize, and labeling them as a superficial genre only dismisses their creativity, which is a terrible flaw in listening to music.

I honestly don't get the Sturgill Simpson hype. Is it just people who never listened to country before?

And what would you define U2 as?

>is it a radio friendly, commercially viable pop song
yes
>are guitars the propulsive element of the song
>yes
it is (among whatever other genres are attached to it) a pop rock song

this applies across the board

Originally Post-Punk and Alternative Rock. They're the only band I would say is both Alternative Rock and Pop Rock (and maybe Coldplay).

U2 - Pop rock with elements of easy listening, adult contemporary, soft rock, and post-grunge

its more that hes been a bit of fresh air for mainstream country.

while there has always been loads of more experimental and underground country sounds, Simpson has used enough of it while remaining accessible. hes far from the most inventive man in the genre, but to be at his level and be doing more that 'cold burrz ona friday nigh' is refreshing.

>Godspeed You! Black Emperor
>Grindcore

Boards of Canada
Drone Metal

so much yes

>>is it a radio friendly, commercially viable pop song
>pop song
I was talking about their actual albums, and even so, their songs are not "Pop Rock." Dani California is Alternative Rock, with elements from Hard and Funk Rock, and so is most of Stadium Arcadium. Also, having catchy melodies isn't just Pop. There are Metal/Hardcore, Indie Rock and Experimental Rock songs with catchy melodies.

It's people who like good music

catchy radio single with obvious emphasis on a hook, pop rock song, next

>Metal/Hardcore, Indie Rock and Experimental Rock songs with catchy melodies.
but unless they're radio friendly, they are not pop rock songs

ask yourself, could I get away with playing this on a mainstream radio station, if the answer is yes - you have a pop rock song

Lil Pump
Indie folk in the style of Sufjan Stevens

Never knew how much i wanted that until now

>I honestly don't get the Sturgill Simpson hype. Is it just people who never listened to country before?
Probably becuase country is fucking awful except for him

>Probably becuase country is fucking awful except for him
Mr. Prine, Mr. Parsons, Mr. Van Zandt and Mr. Molina would like a word with you

>but unless they're radio friendly, they are not pop rock songs
You do realize that there are radio stations that don't play mainstream pop music, right? I have never heard an RHCP song played on pop/pop rock stations once; if anything, they only get radio play on Alternative stations. Why else do you think they have the most "Alternative Songs" records on the chart (hint: not a single "Pop Rock" band has ever been on the chart. The closest they have are Indie Pop groups)? Maybe during the 90s, they got huge mainstream airplay, but even then, almost every Alternative/Indie band got quite a bit of airplay as well. Bands like Nirvana, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, and even Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth got some airtime as well. Are they pop rock too?

And plus, you still haven't addressed their actual albums, which was the whole point.

>have never heard an RHCP song played on pop/pop rock stations once

>hint: not a single "Pop Rock" band has ever been on the chart.

>Bands like Nirvana, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, and even Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth got some airtime as well. Are they pop rock too?

You live in a fantasy world. Your concept of popular music is so ridiculously sheltered and warped in a way that is so far from reality that helping you to understand would take time that I'm not willing to spend.

I'm going to go and read now.

Please understand that the three statements highlighted above showcase your lack of understanding. Use them as an indication of your shortcomings. Goodbye.