Be Phil Collins

>be Phil Collins
>joins Genesis, drums like a motherfucker, becomes a trailblazer for prog rock drumming
>Peter Gabriel calls it quits after a streak of brilliant albums
>Take over the vocals because he's fucking Phil Collins
>creates a god-tier jazz fusion project, because Rutherford wants to go pop, and he's a cool bloke so he decides not to fight it
>Also launches a pop rock solo career because why the fuck out
>becomes hugely successful, being bigger than Michael Jackson and Madonna in the 80s
>despite his achievements as drummer, singer and composer, is actively hated by critics and musicians
>only now starting to recover
being phil collins is suffering

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r0qBaBb1Y-U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

who cares about critics, he's a legend

his shitty music was inescapable and forcibly drilled into the head of everyone who was alive during the mid to late 80s. imagine your least favorite christmas music in heavy rotation on every radio station and in every store for years on end.

I wouldn't blame him for that personally, but he's not hated for no reason

Phil Collins pop rock shit is definitevely cheesy and was overplayed, but I'd take "Easy Lover" and "In the Air Tonight" over the garbage that goes on mainstream radios

You don't get to choose, though. You get "take me home" on repeat for the rest of eternity

found the kid born in le wrong generation

>becomes hugely successful, being bigger than Michael Jackson and Madonna in the 80s

retard

>"In the Air Tonight"
*DUM DUM, DUM DUM, DUM DUM, DUM DUM BANG BANG!!!*

>is actively hated by critics and musicians

Because genesis turned to shit with him at the helm
Everything post-gabriel is a 5/10 at best
In The Air is overrated

>A Trick of the Tail
>Wind & Wuthering
>5/10

the real downhill started after Hackett left

awwww, the poor millionaire :(

Well the only thing I can say of Collins is that his version of "You can't hurry love" is one of my biggest guilty pleasure

imo Phil Collins is one of the greatest musicians to bless this planet with the amount of diversity in his music and his level of musicianship (drum wise)is only matched by Bill Bruford or Carl Palmer from his era. But Collins had a great ear for composing pop. Tony Banks is actually somewhat rustled he and Mike Rutherford didn't allow In the Air Tonight to appear on a Genesis album.
That being said his solo stuff is normie magnet tier pop but I can appreciate people who decide to dig into his drumming work. He has done great studio drumming for both Eric Clapton and Robert Plant in the 80s. He also was one of the drummers for the 80s botched Zeppelin reunion. He actually said he almost walked off-stage but didn't because he didn't want to be known for walking off tantrum during a Zeppelin set mid-set.

Anyone who is a Genesis 'fan' that only likes the Gabriel era can't really appreciate how good of songwriters everyone in Genesis became. They didn't decide to go commercial, it was just natural as you can only go so far into the musical vocabulary of long-form progressive rock. For example justabout every single neo-progressive rock band from the 80s is just halfassed Gabriel-era worship.

Abacab and Invisible Touch are some of the best pop albums ever but their real best work was with Gabriel

this man gets it

You misspelled Genesis self-titled

Produced Rush records in the 90s. Not bad.

go listen Cardi B elsewhere

They made some really good shit though. Songs like land of confusion and invisible touch are great. Even their later stuff like jesus he knows me are enjoyable. Mama is also a great in the air tonight rip off. But I agree their 70s shit was much better.

>Jazz Fusion
>Mom Rock
these are terrible things

get taste fool

I'm sorry, but whenever I think of him the first thing that comes to mind is Tarzan.

Don't forget his most crowning achievement: Lily

I enjoyed listening to the soundtrack on its own but it doesn't fit the movie at all.
60/100

TWO WORLDS
ONE FAMILY

Seriously?
You don't like Brand X?
A Trick Of The Tail > Duke
You're insane

Phil is God.
I will marry Lily.

I thought it said two earths one family. Guess I haven't practiced my british in a while.

t. soundcloud rapper non-ironic listener

t. alt-right virgin

>boy i sure wish I was black
said the suburban white teen

How does that make you alt right exactly? I'm curious.

said the alt-right virgin

back to Sup Forums

Go back to Sup Forums asshole

Your favorite memerappers are garbage. You'll grow out of it when you stop being being 15

You feeling well user?

He was the best drummer in A Hard Day's Night.

also he did the musics for the tarzan cartoon, which are great

thx phil

One notch below the other two, but still good.

For those who haven’t heard Gabriel era genesis, listen to the 1973 live album and shit a fucking brick. I usually splice that album with the rainbow theater live album to play their whole set list of that era. Also The Musical Box is a fucking amazing cover band, see them if you can.

Only plebs can't appreciate post-gabriel and post-hackett genesis

t. former pleb

Genesis only got good after Peter Gabriel left.

Peter Gabriel's solo works are good however.

>phil collins thought about suicide when he learned he couldn't drum anymore but held on for his children

We don't deserve this gem of a man

no you won't, you'll look back nostalgically on them in 12 to 15 years and realize that they informed your listening habits even more than you realized at the time

you'll like 30% of what new rap has to offer, be indifferent to another 30%, hate the next 30%, and the last 10% will be stuff you think sucks ass or genuinely makes you concerned for the future while you laugh at it

ZILLA

Allright I'm awake.

The Phil Collins Defense force has arrived.

Who wants their ass kicked?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
youtube.com/watch?v=r0qBaBb1Y-U

i'm surprised this thread went on for so long without an American Psycho reference

>god-tier jazz fusion project
help a youngfag out, which album are you referring to?

First two Brand X albums, if you haven't listened to them yet, go check them out now

>Actually comparing Philadelphia Collins to Bill fucking Bruford
unironically leave this board

Take Me Home is unironically his best song.

that song is alright though

NAZI PUNKS H*CK OFF

have you even listened to Brand X ?

history WILL absolve based phil collins

What i find odd is how some people think that Genesis would never have made pop tunes if Gabriel didn't leave in 73'. But we all know it wouldn't have been any different if Gabriel never left, since he made pop music too after Genesis

>le alt right boogeyman

all that soy is destroying your brain

>also an actor in movies

people are just retards looking for drama

i love when plebs try to drop knowledge

Holy fuck he had cool hair. How do I avoid balding like he did?

nah it's not bogeyman it's just rampant shit as bad as numles, serving the same purpose

gabriel left in 75

>Holy fuck he had cool hair.
he literally has a school shooter cut that looks like his mom did it

It might interest you to know that after Gabriel left and it was decided that Collins was going to be lead singer Bruford was who filled in on their first tour.

This. Collins-era Genesis was better than Gabriel-era Genesis, but Gabriel had the much better solo career.

the worst thing about this quote is that because he is american, he admits he is too stupid to even listen to music without thinking there is something there that isn't

the best part was when Bill and Phil would have a duel drumming during the extended instrumentals.

For Genesis, I wouldn't really say better so much as completely different, with a transition between for when Hackett was still there. Agree on the solo career.

Amen to that

>Firth of Fifth
>Los Endos/Dance on a Volcano

my man

From Genesis to Revelation - 5/10
Trespass - 7/10
Nursery Cryme - 8/10
Foxtrot - 9/10
Selling England by the Pound - 9/10
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - 8/10
Trick of the Tail - 9/10 (probably my favorite)
Wind & Wuthering - 8/10
...and Then There Were Three - 6/10 (One of my least favorite; Hackett left; Where they really changed; Follow You Follow Me is a great song though)
Duke - 8/10
Abacab - 8/10
S/T '83 - 8/10
Invisible Touch - 7/10
We Can't Dance - 6/10
Calling All Stations - 3/10

Live albums:
Genesis Live - 8/10
Seconds Out - 9/10
Three Sides Live - 8/10

Not heard The Way We Walk...?

Only thing I can't subjectively agree with is Invisible touch not being an 8 or Trick of the Tail being slightly higher than the Lamb. Otherwise gr8 taste m8