I live in a first-world developed nation with free healthcare and welfare and life is so haaaaaaard...

>I live in a first-world developed nation with free healthcare and welfare and life is so haaaaaaard, man! It's so hard I have to take DRUGS all the time!

What, really, was the point of this film other than a galling document of self-indulgence?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q4cl3c6dQvQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The point of the film was to entertain middle class English people by presenting them with a group of characters that confirmed every negative stereotype that the English have about the Scotch.

it's a movie about shitty people, kinda like every scorsese flick
see Filth for more of the same

Life is hard everywhere. Just being alive is a pain in the ass.

This. Not really worth getting mad about.

>Scotand
>first-world

This movie sucked, I don't get the love for it at all.

>scotland
>first world developed nation
>nation
>first world
>developed

Was considered quite edgy at the time, ceiling baby and whatnot.

It's about they like taking drugs.

>>I live in a first-world developed nation with free healthcare and welfare and life is so haaaaaaard, man! It's so hard I have to take DRUGS all the time!

You don't know what Scotland was like in the 20th century. Protip: Massive unemployment and income inequality.

Did your nation pick America's side during the Cold War? Congrats, you're first world.

UK is thus listed as first world and so are Scots.

T. Scottish heritage

Except the book was written by a Scotchman who lived and still lives in Scotchland. The movie was very faithful to the book as well.

He clearly aknowladges that nothing forces him to be a druggie, but he does it cause it's fun

It had the NHS and the dole, which is FAR, FAR more than the global median at the time or even today.

>a galling document of self-indulgence
Uh yeah, that's pretty much what your early 20's are supposed to be. Real genius insight you've come up with there, bud.

I did heroin once. It didn't destroy my life, but I can absolutely see how it could. Best high in my life.

scotland is part of the UK but its far from a first world country, its a huge drain on the UK and is massively propped up. If it were independent it would be second world, appearing in league tables alongside romania, bulgaria, hungary, turkey etc. Although I would honestly say each of those countries are far, far far superior to scotland as they are actual countries.

>it had more than even shitter places in the world, so no-one had any reason to be miserable ever

is this really how you think people work?

>scotland is part of the UK but its far from a first world country

so they're different from English people how exactly?

>scotland is part of the UK but its far from a first world country, its a huge drain on the UK and is massively propped up.

fucking do something about it then you cunt.
aye you're a big man behind the keyboard but you'll still keep paying the scotgeld, pathetic little cuck

keep crying about the big mean scots taking all your money, i'm sure that will make them stop

>poverty only exists in third world nations

"In Loving Memory" Messages Pour In After Oprah Is Axed

>What, really, was the point of this film other than a galling document of self-indulgence?

The point was that even if you live in a first-world developed nation with free healthcare and welfare, life can be hard and miserable, and you can still end up in poverty, or worse.

>aye you're a big man behind the keyboard but you'll still keep paying the scotgeld

I'm a miserable cunt and I rarely laugh aloud or feel charged with SCOTTISH PRIDE but...hey, you get the idea.

Fallacy of relative privation. Just because there are situations more difficult doesn't invalidate efforts by those struggling against something less but still difficult.

but it was their own fault they were that way

you could say the same about nearly anyone who lives in poverty and destitution.

I love threads about Irvine Welsh books turned into films, it's amazing the assumptions you yanks come to.

All of his books center around the culture in Edinburgh rather than just 'Scotland', from accents and mannerisms all the way to issues and prejudices at the time.

Edinburgh was the heroin capital of the world in the 80s, that's a fact that you can google. Hence Trainspotting and other literature. Irvine Welsh himself even worked with my girlfriend's grandfather at a homeless hostel in the past, and it's where all the 'letter' chapters he has in his books come from. His characters and settings are all first hand experience to our environment

Even humorous little things like making Bruce Robertson a Jambo since Irvine is a Hibee as a sort of way of saying aye all those jambos are scum

T. Edinburgh fag

>Even humorous little things like making Bruce Robertson a Jambo since Irvine is a Hibee as a sort of way of saying aye all those jambos are scum
I was following you until this part. I'd probably take weeks just to get through one of his books, tbph.

Whar hagis taste like?

>free healthcare
>government taxes you
>you end up paying far far more than most americans will EVER have to pay
Why are leftists so retarded?

Live in south east England here. Scotland is an absolute shithole. Every documentary on BBC about Scotland is either drug addicts, bridges or something about welfare.

Jokes on them. I'm a neet. Everyth

I love Irvine's wrting. Just finished The Acid House. Haven't really read anything like it. I think OP is probably an Amerifat, hell I'm not even British or Scottish and I can understand the dialect and struggle. Trainspotting is a masterpiece in its own right. I haven't heard a more reductive reading of the film, perhaps OP thought LotR was two midgets walking to a mountain.

Is it really shite to be scottish?

The only way is Essex, bruv.

Are you literally fucking retarded nigga?

why? Have muslims gotten there yet?

>didn't even vote for their own independence when you got the chance
>voted to remain cucked by the EU
>voted a bunch of refugee lovers into power

Scotland truly is the land of cucks

so are the refugees causing all the heroin addiction and poverty there?

are you specifically *trying* to look like the sort of noncy-arsed fairy boy who'd shit his breeks if a 90lb scotsman in the terminal stages of TB looked sideways at him? because etc

At least it made the addicts get less sympathy for their excuses because we know it's all about them experiencing hedonism.

life is much harder when you're smart enough to grasp the full reality of existence. prove me wrong.

some retarded bushman whose daily thoughts consist of only worrying what he's gonna eat that day or what woman he will fuck is probably the easiest life immaginable. you just don't know and cannot even grasp any better

Bushmen probably practice infanticide when they can get away with it. The outlook wouldn't be bright for a retarded kid.

Culture, religion, social structure

This movie was before fast internet, there was nothing to do if you didn't have a job and Scotland is depressing as fuck.

FACT: England is too flat.

You're welcome to it.

Speaking of that film, how was a wanted fugitive freely traveling on trains and buses and walking around a city like London which has 100 billion CCTV cameras on every single street?

The two main football teams here are Hearts (whos fans are called Jambos) and Hibernian (whos fan are called Hibees). Theres always been a bitter, in the past aggressive rivalry between the two.

Since Irvine is a solid hibs fan, with most of Trainspotting taking place in Leith (which is the area of the city Hibs fan live in) he makes Bruce a Jambo to add to the scumbaggery of the character as a bit of bantz

Closest thing I could describe it to is black pudding that isnt dry and has more a taste to it

It's pretty great desu, stereotypes aside

Fortunately in Glasgow we've got the traditional rivalry between Celtic and Rangers, whose friendly relationship and gentlemanly conduct set an example for everyone.

I wonder why only football has casuals. I don't get why yanks dont fight over handegg in their local walmart car park or whatever

Neither do I now you mention it. There doesn't seem to be any record of Americans shooting* or at least beating the fuck out of each other over sport and I'm honestly suprised.

* You wouldn't want to be a referee in Colombia

>first-world developed nation
>Scotland
lol

>tfw when Scotland is on average much nicer than England, no immigration and they STILL are giving us our bennies out their shrinking pockets

Feels good lads, cheers England!

>be me
>be 11 years old at school
>it's national penis inspection day in England but a bank holiday north of the border because of devolution
>go to school in the morning and collect my yearly £5 courtesy of England
>play at haggis-catching all day
>at teatime nip along to the chippy and get a black puddin supper and a tin of irn bru home-made from girders
Bliss

plenty of fights have been had at tailgate parties

IT'S SHITE BEING SCOTTISH

If you think that is bad, check out the Star Wars movie series. Palpatine could have lived a nice relaxing life as a Senator, but no -- that wasn't exiting enough! He just had to be evil.

i'm a huehue and that's one of my favorite movies, i don't even know why

the trailer for Trainspotting 2 gave me goosebumps

Scotland is 96% white

English are mad they're getting cucked by refugees and infested with poo in the loos. Nothing to see here.

Damn you have some strong willpower. What would lead you to try it in the first place?

Took part in many gang rapes this weekend, Akmed?

reading Filth right now, they made a movie for it? Shit is crazy

>I wonder why only football has casuals

History of the areas the teams were formed in. The old working mans clubs that were linked to them etc.

>reading Filth right now, they made a movie for it? Shit is crazy

Yeah. It's pretty good too.

> youtube.com/watch?v=q4cl3c6dQvQ

I think that was the only point. Movie about shittters.