How important is presentation to be a successful band?

How important is presentation to be a successful band?

It can make a shitty band look ok, but it won't make people that kill at their instruments look bad.

Force multiplier. If done properly, you can be huge even while being mediocre, but it's not gonna detract if you're good through other means. And if you're great it can be a huge bonus.

>Just be yourself.

Only if you're signed.

Everything. MGMT is only successful because its singer is pretty for example

ask this on the k-pop thread or the Björk, Paramore, Grimes, St. Vincet threads. Am I forgetting another one?

>Implying Ben is not also pretty

This. Conversely, the combination of general ugliness in a band and trying too hard to pretend you're not is deadly. People see straight through some chub who thinks he can will himself into being Brandan Flowers or something. If you've got it, use it, if not, just play it cool and consider it more reason to focus on your music. Either way you can't be something you're not.

I mean no matter what you do you should always be trying to be doing something original. Do something that makes you stand out from other people in the scene you’re a part of, and sometimes the way to do that can be just not trying too hard in the ways that others do and focusing on standing out in subtle ways

I mean, the biggest example is Pere Ubu. David Thomas isn't trying to pretend he's good looking, but the band's entire aesthetic can capitalize on his appearance, in pretty much all senses. Presentation doesn't need to be beautiful, just coherent with your aesthetic. The bassist of Adebisi Shank wearing a sock mask over his head works because of the band's aesthetic.

Just dont be unremarkable, thats the jist of it. The only reason Thom York is remembered is because of how fucking strange his face is, he was attractive in the 80s though.

Just be above a 4/10 and you could probably go places with your band

For sure, Thomas is mesmerizing. I guess I'm talking about more of a pop angle and bands ambitious in that department. Something like Pere Ubu is well beyond that.

The band's name is more important.

presentation includes the energy of your performance so yes. you can't just look the part, you need to act the part.

as well as play your damn music but that's implied

Just look at literally every boy band.
Also some grunge acts relied on style instead of substance. (excluding the good ones like Nirvana, Alice in chains, Pearl Jam.)

Being confident helps. I've been guilty of it before, if someone says hey nice set don't respond with "oh it was okay, I fucked up a lot" or something. I know you're your own biggest critic but too many small time bands can't accept a compliment.

mgmt's first album has quality songwriting and excellent production tho

Literally every big 4 grunge band had a handsome front man even if it wasn't deliberate it definitely helped