/vinyl/

/vinyl/
This thread is for the discussion of vinyl, and vinyl only. Please do not post about your CDs or cassette tapes in this thread. Please keep memes, low-effort replies, and shitposting to a minimum. These threads are meant to be mature, in-depth discussions of the superior format, for true collectors and serious music fans. If somebody comes into this thread to slam vinyl, or buying physical media, ignore them. Do not give them any (you)s, and try to keep the thread on topic instead of arguing. Here are a few questions to get the discussion started.

>what kind of turntable do you have?
>do you mostly buy new or used records?
>what is your most valuable record?
>what have you purchased recently?
>how do you store/protect your records?

Feel free to discuss reissues, post pictures of your sound system, links to your discogs profile, or whatever else.

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/user/darumswizel/collection
discogs.com/user/mtngchi/collection?header=1
nowflensing.com/collections/vinyl/products/have-a-nice-life-deathconsciousness-dlp-zine-1?variant=40939177741
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw waiting for dozens of records overseas/in pre-order for months now
Anxiety is killing me

Still using an Audio-Technica LP60, but planning to upgrade to an LP120.
Lately I've been going the used record route. They're cheaper, and clean copies of older records tend to sound better.
Probably $150 for an Underoath record. Its the They're Only Chasing Safety / Define The Great Line record. I have a nostalgic soft spot for them. They got me into metal.
Some Siouxsie & The Banshees, King Gizzard, a Misfits bootleg, and a copy of Magical Mystery Tour.
Upright on a shelf, like books, and I keep them all in poly sleeves. I keep my 45s in a little plastic box.

who else organize by last played here?

stoked for the Brainiac reissues coming out this Friday

>Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC
>Mostly new, don't put pre-2000 albums in acquisition priority
>I don't know. Demon Days? I have limited versions of Turn On the Bright Lights, Crack-Up, Lonesome Crowded West, and Turn Out the Lights, but I doubt any of them go past $100.
>Pic related and Giles Corey
>Nothing crazy. Some have new inner sleeves, but not many cause I get lazy when it comes to washing them. Any outer sleeves I keep, but I don't actively buy some.

>Turntable
Music Hall USB-1
>New or Used
New stuff from the internet and used stuff if I'm checking out shops
>Most valuable
Original commissioned score for 2001 A Space Odyssey by Alex North. One of those fancy colored Mondo pressings
>Recent purchase
Bellows - Strand
>Storing
Upright on a shelf. Should really get sleeves for all my stuff

Here's my discogs collection if anyone cares: discogs.com/user/darumswizel/collection

When is the Loveless reissue supposed to ship out? I know its supposed to ship out some time this month. I pre-ordered it back in October.

>turntable
Sony PS-5550
>New or used?
it's mixed, though most records I own are used.
>most valuable
I guess the Lift to Experience box set. If were talking one on its own, then the original Japanese pressing of Chronic Town by REM with the obi strip.
>recent buys?
pic related, it's the clear pressing. and the new loveless pressing
in plastic sleeves on a wooden shelf

Website says 18th, not sure when is that on Kevin Shields-time

Pro-ject debut carbon
New
/500 red translucent saves the day - can't slow down
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics, Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
Upright on a shelf, each with a sleeve.

Are we ever going to see a proper, official reissue of this? I've heard that all of the unofficial pressings are missing a channel.
Also, Discogs banned unofficial pressings so RIP.

Almost picked up a near mint copy of this album for $500, but I passed on it. Now its fetching over $800 on Discogs. I'm kicking myself for it. I knew it was a steal. I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Is there an auto stop mod for the LP120?

Nope

>What kind of turntable do you have?
Jensen 230
>Do you mostly buy new or used records?
Used almost always, I love thrift stores
>What is your most valuable record?
David Bowie - Toy
>What have you purchased recently?
Most recent buys were Nina Simone and my 2 favorite Radiohead albums.
>How do you store/protect your records?
On a shelf..? They don't really need protected from anything.

Can I post pics?

>Can I post pics?
Of course!

hot stuff

Splendid. I have many.
1/7

2/7

3/7

4/7

5/7

technics sl-d20

mostly new, havent got shit in the vein of thrift shops near me and the record shops are expensive as is

pic related, one hundred bucks even on discogs with the obi and inserts

yoshimi battles the pink robots, saw flaming lips live back last fall and they were great

underneath my turntable and receiver on a shelf, i keep my rarer/more precious vintage records in plastic bags

6/7

Which album got away, Sup Forums?

7/7
Feel free to r8 any albums recognized. Will post discogs if desired.

This one

Hi guys. I'm planning to get into vinyl collecting since I bought an Audio Technica LP120 with some music to play and I just need to know this: what's the best portable line-in recorder (if there even is one)? I was planning to transfer albums with my PC, but the desk is currently cramped and it's tiny, too.
I have a dresser with enough space, but I can't use the record player with any of my laptops since they don't have microphone ports.
I was also thinking of getting one of those voice memo recorders but they don't say if they have a microphone port. Plus most of them record in MP3 which is not what I want.
I am very new to this sort of thing so forgive me if I come off as an idiot.

Had a Denon dp 300f with an Ortofon 2M Red. Fucking thing decided to shit out on me after a week. The auto stop wasn't raising the arm quick enough to the fucker decided to drag the stylus across the face of the record. Returning it tomorrow and getting a U-Turn Orbit with a cue lever with the refund.
I prefer to buy new when possible. But I'm not picky. Older pressings are always superior to my ears.
The Killers - Day & Age (apparently? thx discogs)
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me reissue.
On a shelf in my living room close to a humidifier because the heat in my apartment dries out the air.

the classic meme AT-LP120. Considering upgrading to a good vintage table or the stylus for a finer one, like the AT440ML
half/half
According to Discogs, probably An Empty Bliss Beyond This World purple LP
Some of my latest ones were Pure Guava, ITCOCK and Spirit of Eden (OG Brazilian pressing, paid 7 dollars for it in very good condition, very proud of it). Also got a bulk of old records on a record fair. Meanwhile in transit or preorder:
- Portal 1 OST
- Bark Psychosis - Hex
- Aphex Twin - Syro and MARCHROMT30A single
- Everywhere at the end of time stage 2
- Loveless
- Portal - Ion (preorder) and Outré
- Disco Inferno - 5 EPs
Currently using Diskeeper 2.0s, but I prefer MoFi; outer sleeves as well, because fuck ring wear.
Collection (not that complete): discogs.com/user/mtngchi/collection?header=1

Standard AT-LP120
It's probably a 50/50 ratio, but try to buy used more often to save money
Either Floral Shoppe or Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished.
Almost fucking bought Blonde last year but I wasn't really into Frank Ocean at the time, so I decided that it wasn't worth the money. I still have remorse about it,
STGSTV and Harmlessness
The room i'm in had built in shelves, so I use those.

>Please do not post about your CDs or cassette tapes in this thread
i wish i had started collecting vinyl instead of cds

How's that Floral Shoppe pressing?

I know they're going to be re-pressing in February, but a lot of people haven't even gotten their records from orders they placed back in fucking July or something. I guess it's just one guy packaging everything alone.

It's surprisingly good. I got mine in November, so mine was worth my wait, but I don't think it'll be worth the wait of the people who still haven't gotten theirs.
At least OESB is letting people know what is happening with this shit though. I ordered the new HKE album literally a fucking year ago through Series 200 and they fucking jewed us by waiting until the 180-day paypal refund range passed and not shipping anything.

I was about to drop the money on a pre-order but, at this point, it's not even going to be all that valuable into the future.

I don't even think it's all that interesting to own it as a novelty considering it's just time-stretched samples chopped and screwed in Ableton.

It's just not worth the wait and the hassle dealing with these shifty people just to get something I'll listen to once, laugh about it, then regret owning. I know it got to a point where Bandcamp suspended OESB's account.

A Thorens TD-165 with an AT-120e cartridge
Whatever I can get my hands on is OK with me.
According to Discogs, It's a close race between Well, I Should Have... - Jon Benjamin's meme jazz album and Floral Shoppe. I'm not sure what it says about my collection that my most valuable 2 records are both meme albums lol.
My copy of Neo Wax Bloom by Iglooghost just showed up today
Outer sleeve, poly lined inner sleeves, and on the floor in plastic milk crates.

none yet but i'm saving up for one desu

mostly used but it turns out to be valuable shit in the end that i get mostly mint, bought Madlib's Shades Of Blue new for around 20 euros

some peruvian shit that's not on discogs, lot of rare and pricey mostly yugoslavian jazz, a few A&M promo records, a few library records, mint soul/funk 45's that no one has on discogs (consider that i live in the Balkans)

3 rap 12''
Jae Millz feat Cam'ron and T.I.
McGruff

amongst others

Got some semi rare ex yu new wave/post punk

keep 'em in a box like the old school i guess, plan on buying shelves, but as i said, muh monies aren't the strongest

will post pics if someone wants to see my Gil-Scott Heron and Zulema 45's
Also, yugoslavian prog rock and jazz

active or passive speakers w/ receiver for my budget lp120 setup?

Nice National Lampoon, ELP and Deodato

Passive, if possible. Also, if you have a soldering iron handy, look up how to disable the preamp. Even if it's switched off, it still heavily colors the sound coming out of the turntable. Look up some videos, it's pretty night and day.

It's the issues inherent in the built-in preamp that steered me away from the LP120. I'm also not a fan of how it looks. But, I know it's a very popular and capable turntable. I hope you enjoy it however you decide to set it up.

2 remaining, so if you feel like reconsidering now's your chance.
It's a pretty decent album on its own, even after the fucking travesty that followed it.

as long as i'm here any recs on passive speakers for under 150$?

I appreciate it.

I mean, 2 remaining doesn't mean 2 ready to go. It's more that he has 2 pressings left that I might get by December in all likelihood.

I don't have the slightest idea. The speakers that I have I inherited from my father.

I've seen the Klipsch R-15M in a lot of set ups but that might be over your price range? I'm legitimately unsure. Maybe someone else around here has a better idea. Or you can just google around. Shouldn't be too difficult to come to a decision after a few hours of research.

yeah, i'll work on it. thanks, though.

> what turntable?
Rega RP1 and an Ortofon 2M red cart, looking to possibly upgrade to a Gold Ring 2100
> new or used?
A fairly even split. Sometimes I like to browse thrift shops, occasionally find something worth while.
> most valuable
1. Joe Tremain - Hot Jazz ($1 thrift store find)
2. QOTSA - Era Vulgaris (3 x 10")
3.Frank Zappa - Chungas Revenge
(based on Discog median value)
> recent gets
Daft Punk - Random access
Heavy Metal - Movie soundtrack
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
> vinyl care
Poly sleeves for the outside, currently upgrading the inner record sleeves to 2mil HDPE. Also picked up an Orbitrac 3 for cleaning. Also use a carbon brush for light dust.

Rega Planar 2
Mostly new
Pg.99 - Document 10 test press. Some skramz nerd offered to buy it for $400
Pic related. Sounds great.
5-cube tower my mum found at a furniture store. Just about outgrown it now

This motherfucker. Last time I checked Discogs the average price for the 10" was like $300

MK1200MK2
I buy a first press or buy a repress if the remaster is better.
Punch the clock
I only buy my favorites records so Polygondwanaland because of its novelty
Storage boxes dont like my shit dusty.

>Pioneer PL-518 with an Audio Technica AT120Eb cartridge. The thing rips.
> New, a don't listen to a lot of "older" bands/artists. Just ordered a shit load of Elvis Costello albums off Discogs though.
>Probably some album I bought for like $30 new. I don't own anything too rare (yet).
>Some Elvis Costello albums on Discogs
>I use plastic sleeves for the album covers and Mofi sleeves for the actual vinyl records.

Pic related is my set up.

ma nigga. check out my valuable record

Ayyy good taste brother!

The Getaway by RHCP $400 according to discogs
>according to discogs
>according to
>to discogs

Where did you order that from?

Straight from the label. Unfortunately, colored versions of Giles Corey are sold out.

nowflensing.com/collections/vinyl/products/have-a-nice-life-deathconsciousness-dlp-zine-1?variant=40939177741

Really wanted the Orange HANL, grabbed it. Thanks user?

!* fuck

Does anybody own any lathe-cut records? How do they sound compared to pressed records?

bump

Jelly as fuck of those speakers.

Are U-Turns any good, or are they a meme?

I have one, for the price it's a good mid-range record player. It looks nice as well

>technics slq6
>half/half, maybe used a little more
>none that valuable
>i have like ten atm so just on a shelf, will probably update that after the semester
>nebraska, emergency and i; planning on getting laughing stock and the soft bulletin soon
>

Record store employee here. I get to play with all kinds of turntables at work. They sound really nice, and they're extremely attractive turntables, but changing the speed is a bitch and a half. That's my only real complaint. I hate moving the belt. Going from 33 to 45 is easy, but it always seems to fall off when going from 45 to 33.

Ugh I wish. In the same boat, didn't wanna buy the reissues cause I'd heard they're terrible and I don't wanna pay for an OG copy

Akai AP-206
50/50 probably.
One of the three in pic attached, not sure which.
Just got my copy of the reissue of Pier & Loft by Hiroshi Yoshimura yesterday
Half my collection is in a milk-crate. The rest are on some awful shelf I made. I throw an outer plastic sleeve on them all, and an anti-static inner sleeve if they don't come with one (used records usually).

Man, I've been meaning to put anti-static rice paper sleeves in all of my records, but I own so many. I'm not looking forward to spending hours on them.

Only use them on your favorite records, or the ones most valuable. Replace them as you put them out to play

What's the most valuable thing you've picked up for cheap at a record store? I bought a $2 copy of Master Of Reality once, and got home and realized that it was a promo copy. Its worth about $100 according to Discogs.

Probably Exuma, for like 4 bucks, but it was pretty busted.

An OG press of Person Pitch for $8 before the reissue was announced. I don't remember how much it was going for before, I wanna say $60 but I dunno if that's too high.

Damn, I never really had much luck at thrift stores.

I did get a Don Slepian record for $5 a while back, which I thought was a great find, but it's only worth like $10 according to discogs.

Technics 1200 mk2
Both but would rather buy used
Eno Ambient 1 Canadian first press maybe
Just poly outer liners.
Anyone else waiting on the Loveless pre order?

I'm waiting on Loveless. It's supposed to ship out on the 18th.

I saw this at goodwill a few days ago, passed it thinking nothing of it.

I have made a mistake.

Bathe in the regret.

I'm not sure how I'd deal with passing up a find like that.

Double Fantasy is my favorite record in my collection.

bump

Do you want a rip of an original copy of the full uncut album version of that record?
I went to their hometown album launch back in '09 or whenever it was.

>>what kind of turntable do you have?
I've got a Sylvania turntable that I bought from my great-uncle for $20. I think it's from the 60s, sounds great but the weirdest thing is that it's got 4 speeds.

>>do you mostly buy new or used records?
Prefer new because 'used' is typically code for shit quality and I also like to support bands that I enjoy.

>>what is your most valuable record?
Depends on the buyer. I've got a few things that are signed, but the most valuable is either my copy of The Hunter signed by every member of Mastodon or my pressing of The Muppet Movie soundtrack with its original poster.

>>what have you purchased recently?
Pic is my holiday horde, mostly got metal because I enjoy coercing annoying relatives to get met something they find abhorrent.
Make em see it on their next credit card statement.

>>how do you store/protect your records?
I've got a few canvas baskets from target that were perfect, they usually sell them around back to school time.
I also got a few special brushes for cleaning the vinyl and the needle.

What the fuck, there are Poppy albums in vinyl

Evidently.

That fuckin basic AT one that every faggot soyboy gets for Christmas
Used my dudes;) only really buy nu when my fav bands release em
Prolly my first or second issue Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath. I'm pretty proud. As you can see.
The king gizz polywanacracker in mulit color vinyl
Vertical under my amp and turntable

General question here: In which order would you put these different pressings sound-wise; black vinyl, colored vinyl, transparent vinyl, picture discs and splattered vinyl.

Currently an Audio Technica LP5 with a VM540ML cartridge. I plan on buying a different table soon.
New records, mostly. I'l buy used if I'm looking for something specific.
"The Laws of Scourge" by Sarcofago. I think I paid $38 for it.
The X Factor and Virtual XI by Iron Maiden (to complete my Iron Maiden collection),
Painkiller by Judas Priest
Nocturnal by The Black Dahlia Murder.
Vertical inside of milk crates

Fluance RT80 with a Grado Blue cartridge

Depends too much honestly, if I can get new and it doesn't cost too much more I tend to go for it

Probably my The Second Stage Turbine Blade or The Afterman box set, both Coheed. Worth around $200 each

Monday I got Lord Belial - Enter the Moonlight Gate and Lucifugum - Haхpиcтихpящях in the mail but currently in shipment are Dissection - The Somberlain, Sonic Adventure 2 OST, Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun, Thulcandra - Fallen Angel's Dominon, Thulcandra - Under a Frozen Moon, Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness, My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything, My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Hopefully the Nokturnal Mortum reissues I've been wanting go up for preorder soon because I'm getting anxious

they all sound the same but older picture discs sound like shit, some new ones sound bad too

bump

I have roughly 300 bucks
Should I get an LP120?

I made the mistake of purchasing the unofficial release under the label "The Great Thunder". Doesn't sound bad or anything, but there is an entire channel missing which is annoying if you know how it is supposed to sound.

How are you digging the Fluance?

>an entire channel missing
What do you mean by this? Is it in mono?

you're gonna need more than just a turntable

>TT?

Debut III

>Used vs new?

Used

>Most valuable record?

Songs: Ohia Live at WOBC

>Recent buys?

Finished my Joni Mitchell collection and also bought SRC's sophomore album. I just need their debut now but it's significantly rarer than their other stuff, so it may be a while before that collection is wrapped up.

>How do you store/protect records?

I kind of don't desu, largely since I almost entirely buy used so a lot of my collection isn't really worth obsessively protecting. Any new albums I buy I keep in the shrink wrap (where possible, can't really do that with gatefolds), old stuff that I really like and is worth a lot I put in an outer sleeve, but I'm starting to run out so I need to grab more sometime.

Right now my collection of 560 LPs is sitting in crates on the ground, but my cat's a good boy and doesn't fuck with them, thank god. When I find a more permanent living space I plan on building/buying a proper shelf.

All more or less the same save for picture discs, those almost always sound terrible imo. I avoid them at all costs.

You fucked the hell up, user. I kind of feel sick to my stomach thinking about that beautiful album sitting there sadly and nobody buying it. :(

I found an Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook box set by Verve for 5 bucks in pristine condition. People are selling really good condition copies for 50+ on discogs, so that was cool. I also found an OG pressing of Turn On the Bright Lights for 3 dollars but it has quite a bit of surface noise. No skips though. Third runner up is an OG pressing of Horses by Patti Smith for 5. Most other records I own worth >40 dollars I paid anywhere between 15-20 for, so I don't consider them steals really, just good deals.

I recently passed up a $10 Station to Station. Not too sore over it, it wasn't even an OG pressing, but it's the cheapest I've ever found it (I usually find overpriced reissues).

What do you all use to clean your records?

Technics SL-3200 with Shure M91ED cartridge
I try for old pressings in good condition if I can find them, they usually sound better
Nothing worth mentioning
Pinkerton by Weezer. I always kind of overlooked that album but I'm glad I picked it up. Easily Weezer's best work.
Nothing crazy, just protective sleeves around each album in a plastic crate

>>what kind of turntable do you have?
Dual 1228. And a Lenco L78 for restoration in the mail
Used for the most part, be it thrift stores or discogs
Saint Pepsi - Hit Vibes (I think)
Umm, a bunch of cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes..
In plastic sleeves in an ikea expedit

Pro-ject spin-clean

It's not mono, it's just that an entire audio channel is missing.
If you want to know what that sounds like, just picture a band playing and then they just remove the bass player or something.