Tilda Swinton Releases Email Exchange With Margaret Cho About Whitewashing In ‘Doctor Strange’

>Dear Margaret,
>We’ve never met, but you’ve been in my head for years – I’m a fan.

I want to ask you a favour now which is sprung out of a truly important social conversation but may be heading for some crazy-making shit.
>The diversity debate – ALL STRENGTH to it – has come knocking at the door of Marvel’s new movie DR STRANGE.
>With The Ancient One (the ‘wise old Eastern geezer’ Fu Manchu type in the book), wanting to switch up the gender (another diversity department) and not wanting to engage with the old ‘Dragon Lady’ trope, they chose to write the character as being of (ancient) Celtic origin and offered that role to me. Presumably on Ancient grounds. I accepted happily, impressed that, for once, they aimed to disrupt the ‘wisdom must be male’ never-ending story – and, by the way, for once, wanting to feature a woman who’s a badass, over 26 and not simply bursting out of a bikini.

>The larger part of the debate has to do with the ‘whitewashing’ of Asian and Asian Americans in film. Our stories are told by white actors over and over again and we feel at a loss to know how to cope with it.
>Protest seems to be the only solution- we just want more representative images of ourselves in film. TV is getting better in terms of diversity but film is lagging behind.
huffingtonpost.com/entry/tilda-swinton-releases-unedited-email-exchange-with-margaret-cho-about-whitewashing-in-doctor-strange_us_58555bdae4b08debb7897962?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Will Margaret Cho ever recover?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WomenAreWiser
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if she believed what she wrote that passionately than she would've declined the role for a better chance of an asian to be cast.

I like Tilda Swinton so I will agree with her.

>Disney wanted to avoid tired Asian streotypes blablabla

Ahem

>Disney wanted to avoid stereotypes, OMG CAST AN ASIAN, DOESN'T MATTER
>Disney casts an Asian, OMG DON'T CAST AN ASIAN STEREOTYPES

An asian dude with blue eyes? Whitewashing

Your post doesn't even make sense. She wrote that they didn't want to cast an Asian because she felt it would have been an offensive stereotype. If she believed that why would she WANT an Asian in the role?

Wasn't the character originally Taiwanese? Pretty sure (((Disney))) just didn't want to piss off China money.

lord, women are trite

>aimed to disrupt the ‘wisdom must be male’
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WomenAreWiser
> for once
I don't recall her bursting out of her bikin in constantine

the only way to win is to not play

Who cares? You're pathetic OP -- even for here.

she said she did not want Dragon Lady but that just means an older Asian woman could have played the part, been like the oracle in the matrix

bet they are both fine with blackwashing mordo though

>the only way to win is to not play

>Our stories are told by white actors over and over again
I didn't know an asian dude came up with the Ancient One character

>tilda swinton
>woman

You know some buthurt white racist made this

is it not true?

>is allegedly a woman
>looks like a man
>thinks like a (retarded) child
white women, not even once.

mentioning race is not racist.

You know some buthurt white cuckold made this

basically they would have to use a different asian nation to not offend china and they knew if they did sjws would say how racist they are for acting like they can just switch asians like that so instead of dealing with that pile of shit they decided to just get hit by the weaker of the two markets.

What about the tubby Asian dude?

Why the fuck do people lump all asians together? All asians aren't the fucking same.

Disney wanted their latest shitpile to be released in Chinkland.
At least WB sticks to their qt Katanas...fuck China.

>racist much?

immersion ruined. NO ONE other than estrogen filled faggots says shit like that

Karen is a qt

lol yes they are

waifu of the year :33

Fuck Tilda Manbodyface and the rest of the Markek uggos.
This is now a Karen thread.

if the biggest issue for minorities is not being cast in a fucking blockbuster, then that must mean that in real life the races have reached equality. if they want to complain, fine, but who cares

>i simply CANNOT identify with this character if he (or she) is not completely identical to myself in every respect
hollywood thinks you are this stupid𛲠

but Donnie Yen is a a great actor and martial artist who should be exposed to more of us in the west. Why not use someone who is a great action star already?

Why did she release the emails? Did Cho say she was talking shit?

I like Tilda Swinton because even if she's a lefty progressive, she's not a SJW. She's modest, calm and tolerant.

Qt :)