The great debate

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DACSH7QIQsM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

have one on me

its just so clearly Ys though...

When I first got into Joanna Newsom I couldn't get into HOOM. Now it might be my favorite

Ys is my favorite album of all time, Have one on me is in my top 10

Divers

Mem

HOOM is an album. Ys is a spiritual experience.

WW

The individual songs on Ys are better but HOOM is a much more fully realized, cohesive work. Also doesn't sound as anachronistic and is much more tastefully restrained.

They're both equally shitty because it's Joanna Newsome.

Would you have one.... on me

Have One on Me. used to like Ys more but HOoM is just the more tasteful and mature album, which makes it more emotionally potent for me. also it’s 2 hours of ridiculously consistent quality, tough to beat that.

Ys is the best album of all time.

Also I hope she has some time to write now that she has a daughter. She better be crafting another masterpiece right now and letting Samberg breastfeeds that lil bitch.

youtube.com/watch?v=DACSH7QIQsM

The way she sings "on me" near 7:35 : i cum every time.

You cum from getting shit stuffed in your ears? I'm sorry user... I truly am. That was horrible.

What about that album speaks to you so much? I love the first song and Sawdust and Diamond, but the lyrics of the rest of the songs are just so difficult to get through and understand that the entire record kind of throws me off

I don't understand why anyone would genuinely dislike her music, easily one of the best songwriters of the last 10 years.

oooh thats a good moment
i hope i can see her live some day

The abstraction is what makes this album so good for me, knowing that she speaks about real life events. I can't imagine how worse the songs would be if she wrote explicit lyrics.

Does that mean that you have an interpretation of the lyrics? I've had this problem with quite a lot of artists: if their lyrics are too incomprehensible i dont have this real connection with them (Pavement would be one of these bands). Vice versa is true as well, when i do feel like i have a proper grasp of what the artist is talking about i have a very strong connection (Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen)

I bet you would hate The Mars Volta then lol.

>youtube.com/watch?v=DACSH7QIQsM

i'm not who you were replying to but i honestly, truly feel sorry for you & hope you will change

For Ys, I don't have a strong interpretation of the lyrics. It's more like when you listen to songs in another language, you sometimes understand parts of the lyrics and give them their own meaning, and the rest you simply don't, but you imagine it anyway, based on what you understood before (don't worry I don't quite understand myself either).

And I agree with what you're saying, there are artists for which I don't like it when they use abstract lyrics. But Ys is so different from everything that I can't really explain why I love it so much.

The Milk-Eyed Mender actually had her best songwriting on it. Ys is the best in terms of songwriting and execution. Have One On Me prevails more with the latter.

Havent tried them yet

too much soy in this thread

I feel almost the opposite of this. Ys feels very cohesive and (ironically, because the songs are all 7:00+) succinct.

I think HOoM draws from more influences, and, seeing as she executes the implementation of those influences near perfectly, I can see the argument for it being "better". I disagree, but I see the argument.

To me, Ys is one of those albums where if I get the feeling to listen to any one song, I'm definitely going to end up listening to the whole album. On HOoM, I can absolutely put a song on and then leave the album, but I probably have more vivid memories of those standout songs and the moments in them.

HOoM is a masterpiece and is maybe more impressive because of how insanely consistent she was able to make a goddamn triple album, but Ys just feels more like "the real Joanna" if that makes sense. It's her style completely distilled and there really isn't a moment on the album that doesn't hold my attention, which I can't quote say for HOoM.