How to write shoegaze?

So I'm looking at making an album that contains some shoegaze elements and I was wondering if you guys had any tips on writing or composing a shoegaze song. I already have the equipment (shift line reverb, source audio nemesis, digitech whammy chorus, looper and big muff). Also what are some typical lyrical themes for shoegaze music I'm not really familiar with the lyrics of most of the shoegaze bands I listen to.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=skygudx8Rrs
youtube.com/watch?v=s0PZe5QE22o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can literally say any stupid shit you want because people won't understand your lyrics anyway

Try making a Shoegaze concept album about a lost amulet hidden from a warlock long ago, that falls into the lake of Giants. The water, enchanted like a sort of elixir, grows the amulet into a tremendous chain. Soon, it reflects the light of the Sun and blinds all.

What mood you going for?

As far as songwriting goes you can't really go wrong with lots of dense/unusual chords (m7b5, diminished, etc). The chord progression is what gives color to the shoegaze wall of sound imo.

write a pop song
guitar effects
done

Write a normal pop song and then put a vacuum cleaner on top of it

Learn shoegaze songs first. They’re pretty straightforward its just about afdijg a bunch of effects and playing around with them

Lots of distortion behind chorus/phasers/flangers with low rates/LFOs and high feedback.
Crank up your amp because you still need more feedback than that.
Play with the vibrato arm of your guitar in your strumming hand, or do a lot of bends if you don't have one.

Very spacy, dystopian tech vibes possibly. Probably gonna be a mix of shoegaze, post rock and space rock, with me playing all the instruments (guitar, bass, drums, organ, electric piano, trumpet)

Oh, and a compressor (with extreme settings) is always nice to have, especially if your pedalboard is your PC.

Should I buy more fuzz or distortion pedals? I already own a big muff and an eqd palisades, or do you think that would be enough?

You have enough distortion pedals for now. If you have cash to spare, you should rather buy a nice big amp (and a place where you can play it in peace), or weird effects like an Eventide box, anything with LFOs (especially delays), a Whammy/pitch-shifter, or even a good compressor.
Or buy a nice audio interface for your PC and use as much effects as you want in the digital realm. The only problem is getting one who offers a low latency, but if you are richfag, get a RME or something.

Write a pop song with a generic chord progression, but then throw sevens into the chords, abuse distortion, reverb, and delay for your Jazzmaster, and then whisper vapid lyrics about unrequited love or just any first world problem white “people” whine about. Done.

this is basically the extent of my knowledge of shoegaze.

By the way, Fennesz makes nice music using his laptop as a pedalboard.
youtube.com/watch?v=skygudx8Rrs
youtube.com/watch?v=s0PZe5QE22o

>dystopian
>spacey
Hm, i’m guessing you have a futuristic theme in mind as well?
The lyrics sound like they should be an existential and metaphysical look on humanity. I guess you could go political as well but there’s already so many post-rock bands that do that no one will take you seriously. But if you were to do that i suggest reading stuff like The Report from Iron Mountain or other hidden political knowledge/conspiracy stuff. Incorperating things like that would be interesting. Don’t go too Sup Forums

you just described the band turnover perfectly

I'd listen to this.

inb4 next king gizzard album is shoegaze

This is the dumb kind of shit modern metal music is plagued by. Kill yourself for perpetuating this cancer
I’m guessing this is you

Would not surprise me
I had writing inspirations like that before but I've kinda not been into politics too much lately so it's hard to write about that stuff. I'll give that a read though