Am I the only one who didn't like Rogue One? All of this praise for it makes me really confused...

Am I the only one who didn't like Rogue One? All of this praise for it makes me really confused. To me it felt like the prequel trilogy but with better CGI and less sword fights. The story was boring and the characters were bland. Even the robot quipster was lame in the end. Gareth Edwards really seems to have a problem with making his movies have any heart or making characters that are actually memorable. Erso, Andor, Krennec, and all of the rest had zero character traits so even the big epic finale was underwhelming to me. I didn't care that the entire rogue one crew died because the entire crew was without personality. They also criminally underused Darth Vader. Not that I'm his biggest fan but he was only in the movie for like 5 minutes total.

It's seriously blowing my mind that people are comparing this to Empire. What in the fuck am I missing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DqNG_SrSa4o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rogue One is for people who think Star Wars is an encyclopedia documenting the history, battles and spaceships of a fictional universe. It lacks the core of Star Wars, the heart, the sense of wonder, the spiritual nature.

It's basically like the prequels, just not completely fucking incompetently made.

>I didn't care that the entire rogue one crew died because the entire crew was without personality.
This, you're right user, I guess it's just Disney and shitty millenials. Because TFA was so shit, a lame uninspired and pointless war movie with shitty pacing feels like kino to them in comparison. Sad.

>dae hate the movie? lel
>everyone already does.
>lel i just want to fit in

Excellent.

I have to wait and see what mike and jay say before I have an opinion.

Sup Forums is fucking about, yet at the same time, getting caught up as a cog in the Disney marketing machine.

Shit sucked.
- Flat characters
- Tonnes of old stuff from past movies
- CG characters just for the 'members
- Shit one lines from the Marvel jokebook
- Fan service sections for distractions

This

Holy shit that was a BAD movie, I swear to God the critcs are paid

With Rogue One they literally took a war movie scrip, and ran it through a Star Wars filter.
It was the best Star Wars movie ever. It actually felt like Star Wars, unlike TFA. TFA was pretty decent film, but it severely lacked the Star Wars feel.
R1 might have had some bad CGI on Tarkin and shit, but his presence washed me in nostalgia awe. I dont even like Star Wars that much, but goddamn this movie was so good.

They managed to pull of a better StarWars movie with a war theme. Amazing work. Whatever faults it had are overshadowed by the production quality, and the authentic recreation of the Star Wars feel I have not felt since the OT.

Although reasonably well executed its a completely pointless movie really. The DS plans being captured isn't a story, it's an event important to the real story of the DS actually being blown up. That's why they killed everyone off to bruteforce some kind of ending to a movie that doesn't really have one.

A lot of the humor seemed really out of place (almost tasteless) amongst much grim dark.

they should have halved the main cast and made it entirely about the characters.

TFA was wise to make it a character driven story and not worry about "muh worldbuilding"

>Gareth Edwards really seems to have a problem with making his movies have any heart or making characters that are actually memorable

He always come so close to making a decent movie but it always falls apart. R1 suffered from the same problems that both Godzilla and Monsters did. He's got a great eye, that's about it.

Here is my opinion on the movie.
1. I hate that every movie is trying to steal Tars and Case character from Interstellar, so I was super rustled when I saw they did that.

2. Another mary sue

3. Forest Whittaker's character the only intriguing thing and killed off for no reason.

4. Generic asian kung fu man

5. generic sumoan buddy (basically stealing Ehonda and Balrog from Steet Figher movie)

6. Casual stormtroopers missing every shot

7. No emperor

8. DIdn't show Vader's face in bath tube.

>it's an event
and a pretty big event both in terms of outcome and occasion. how did you think it happened? obviously it was during a battle. how can a film not be set around a battle.

>tell that to kanjiclub

>Am I the only one that
Anyone who says this is mentally retarded. Scientifically proven.

rogue one isn't world building. the world is made, mostly by the prequels i might add. rogue one is about the fight.

No, it's shit. It's cinematic value is the equivalent of what genre fiction is to literature. The fact that so many on this board 'enjoy' this film shows how far the medium (and more so the viewers) have to come before reaching any degree of potential.

>8. DIdn't show Vader's face in bath tube.
thick cunt. they literally zoomed in on this

I kinda liked it

But would have loved to see more cameos, like solo, chewie, luke, yoda, obi-wan etc.

>TFA was wise to make it a character driven story and not worry about "muh worldbuilding"

Nigga, what? TFA was all about world building. It kept tripping over itself to remind the audience how Star Wars it was. "Remember the Death Star? Well we got that too, and it's even bigger!" And by virtue of this film being part one of three, we merely got character introductions, (hopefully) saving the actual development for VIII and IX.

This. Disney went full prequel here. Two many characters and happenings leading to superficial character development and emotional overload. Good for toy sales and flashy trailers, not so good for the actual movies.

characters were so bad lol.

Yes you are the only person who didn't like it.

My only real complaint was how it sort of ruins the opening scene in Episode IV

>Vader stops Leia's corvette
>"We're on a diplomatic mission"
>BITCH I JUST TAILED YOU FROM THE FUCK OFF HUGE REBEL BATTLE STOP PLAYING DUMB

I'm not very good at movies but I really didn't feel anything seeing these characters die, nothing. I was more occupied thinking about Lyn's ass in those tight pants than caring for her supposed emotional death scene with Oberyn.

"The hammer-head maneuver" was bretty cool.

>the Star Wars feel
Can someone explain what exactly they think gives the movies this? People keep making these statements without illustrating them.

I agree an important event but not every battle has to have a plucky band of heroes all with tragic back stories and complex personal motivations and vested interests in the fight. You have to admit they had to invent a whole new chapter of bullshit for this, such as the Death Star's weakness being deliberate, and the person who obtained the plans was in fact the daughter of none other than the chief designer of the Death Star who was an Imperial engineer? It's fine and perfectly normal for it to be a group of brave soldiers who just did it because they had to or because it was the right thing. That's all it needed to be, but they know fanservice = bucks so that's what gets made.

Why didn't they just send in the hammerhead on the portal to begin with and destroy it?

So you wanted it to be a movie about completely normal boring soldiers doing a routine job? Sounds exciting.

You mean TARS and Case ripping of robots from like every SciFi film before it? Interstellar was beautiful garbage

Name two movie robots like TARS before them.

>BITCH I JUST TAILED YOU FROM THE FUCK OFF HUGE REBEL BATTLE STOP PLAYING DUMB
Except that's literally what happens at the opening of ANH, only more formal

Yep had the exact same feeling. The movie was nice to look at but I just kind of felt numb the whole way through. About eight different people got focused death scenes. If everything tries to have emotional depth nothing ends up actually having it.

R2D2
C3PO

Yes, I remember all the biting humor and funny quips that R2D2 had.

the robot in Moon was a cheeky bastard

>R2D2 is not sarcastic
Go watch the OT again

>TFA was a pretty decent film
discarded

A heroic fantasy with black and white morality and a happy ending. AKA the exact thing pretentious postmodernist millennial edgelords can't stand.

I think it's weird people are hating on it so much. But really it's only here, Sup Forums is full of contrarians. I'm sure there are people that genuinely disliked it, but Im sure the majority of people on here that shit post and start negative threads about it went in hoping to dislike and and so found everything about the movie they could to justify their disgust.
I went in with neutral expectations and came out thinking it's probably my favorite star wars.
Call it a Pleb opinion or shill attempt but I fucking loved it. I liked TFA too which I think gets too much flak here, though Sup Forums has definitely pointed out its flaws.
I also like Ep3 and minus the ewoks ROTJ, so idk if that helps or hinders the "validity" of my opinion, but I don't give a fuck since it's my opinion to begin with.

I seriously can't name any personality traits of any of the cast. I got the feeling that Krennic was insecure but that's probably just me grasping at straws. The entire cast was underdeveloped and uninteresting. I guess that's what's really holding me back from liking the movie because I am very much a character guy. The characters in Rogue One were seriously as bad as the prequel trilogy and anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. I was expecting them to spend a lot of time developing the characters so that the ending would really be a punch to the gut, instead I just didn't give a shit.

This isn't your blog, kiddo.

So where on the spectrum do you think you fall?

I liked TFA even though it was flawed and essentially a remake of ANH that used nostalgia as a crutch. I'm assuming I'll like Rogue One a bit more when I rewatch it with lowered expectations and just enjoy it as a war movie with a bunch of red shirts.

You didn't have to read it friend :^)

It was a good movie. But was a bad StarWars movie.

If its popular TV will hate it

>The cgi was fine
>The movie was ok, definitely better than any capeshit out in the last couple years
>The last 30min was good~great

Its like you fucking neckbeards think a Star Wars is trying to win an Oscar.

Its a pop corn action flick with a Star Wars theme. ....thats what every fucking Star Wars movie is. How you inept fuckers can not or will not see this is beyond me

Let's not pretend the amazing battle sequences didn't make up for all that!

Man, I'll never forget how a dozen stormtroopers ran up to a blind monk with a stick to try and whack him with their blasters! It made him look like such a bad-ass!
Especially when he proven completely helpless that same scene when people just aimed at him from a distance. Everything's just so consistent and awesome in this movie, dang.

I don't think it needed to be made at all. It's cool seeing more Star Wars and all but Rogue One is peripheral shit from ANH dressed up to be a main story, and it shows.

No movie needs to be made. Your point is irrelevant.

Robot from Lost In Space, C3PO, R2D2, fuck even Hal to an extent

Yes I remember all the mean jokes and funny quips that R2D2 and HAL made.

>Rogue One is for people who think Star Wars is an encyclopedia documenting the history, battles and spaceships of a fictional universe.

But I like that aspect of Star Wars media and even I disliked Rogue One.

EVERYONE ELSE LIKES IT SO THAT MEANS IT'S GOOD.
stay pleb

>That's what every fucking Star Wars movie is

Lmfao no it isn't. What a dense statement to make, Disney employee.

If you truly think that Tars and Case are wholly original youre a fucktard nolanfag

Wasn't my argument, though you proved yourself wrong.

>I dont agree with you so you are a shill

Are you really trying to imply that Star Wars isnt a franchise made for kids and to sell toys?

That makes sense but it seems like every Star Wars movie has had that, maybe apart from happy endings in II and III. I still don't see what people think made R1 or TFA feel particularly Star Warsy. In some ways they both feel more similar to the prequels than the OT.

You are an idiot. Heres my quesyion can you prove that Tars and Case were the first? Do that and ill concede. If you cant and bullshit out of it without a source you fail

Why couldn't Galen give the plans to the alladin pilot?
If the reactor defect was intentional, how retarded was the Empire to replicate it in the second Death Star?

I never claimed TARS or CASE were the first so your question is illogical.

>155 million opening weekend
>opening usually accounts for 40-50% of a films total earnings
>250 million dollar budget

>TFAs opening was like 500 million

what caused this to flop so hard in comparison to tfa? its not even the largest opener this year

Nope, plenty of lukewarm reviews elsewhere, with most people agreeing it was still decent and worth watching. Pointing out flaws isn't the same as hating.

>If the reactor defect was intentional, how retarded was the Empire to replicate it in the second Death Star?

They didn't? The rebels blew it up because it was literally missing a fourth of it due to still being under construction. The second DS was so incomplete the fucking Millennium Falcon could easily fly through it.

The one completely irrational thing I wanted but didn't get was one of the smaller craft in the dogfight flying through the AT-AT with the open hatch.

>can you prove that Tars and Case were the first?
how the fuck would you even do that?

Then what I meant was it wasn't worth making, or more specifically, the story wasn't worth telling.

Hey I thought that too.

Idiotic writers making ill-timed political statements.

You stated that everyone rips off of tars and case. K2 was nothing like either of them. He was just C3P0 with a darker less annoying sense of humor

The first two movies? Absolutely not. And if it weren't for hte ewoks I'd argue the third one as well.Your argument was that every SW movie is a cash cow, but that is blatantly not true.

You're arguing with the wrong person, I stated the opposite.

did anyone else cringe when they saw that turrible Tarkin cgi? it ruined the immersion for me desu senpai

It's going to make money. There's like no good movies coming out until March at the earliest.

why didnt they use these ion blasters on Hoth?

>They also criminally underused Darth Vader.

I'm glad. No Vader at all and I'd be even happier.

>trying to win an oscar
>having basic narrative competence
Pick one.

If you look past the explosions and settings, OT and post-OT Star Wars are very different things. Hence the disappointment.

Nope, Sup Forums hates it. It's just being flooded with Disney shills and cross-board posters who actually do like the movie.

There have been quite a few harsh reviews, and it's like 60/100 on metacritic though

>contrarians

How to point out a shill in one word.jpg

it's prequels but less annoying. that's all. it's one of the shittest big movies released this year.

anyone else catch how they blatantly ripped off Dopesmoker's art?

I agree, I was almost falling asleep in the middle, everything looks and sounds nice, it feels like the way a good movie is meant to feel. But it was just ultra bland.

The robot meme-machine is so fucking corporate. He is literally only there so that Disney can program in more quips so the movie will sell better to the pleb masses

Best bit is the end with Darth Vader and Leia. And the couple of minutes that Mads Mikkelson is in it

>Its like you fucking neckbeards think a Star Wars is trying to win an Oscar.

>we were being retarded on purpose xD

youtube.com/watch?v=DqNG_SrSa4o

They're family films meant to have broad appeal. Although this one was aimed more at people who liked Star Wars as kids and grew up.

thats not how it works senpai

People don't go and see movies multiple times anymore, or at all once a good cam comes out

All movies make about 50% of their gross in the opening weekend and following week

I guess they could recover with toy and dvd sales but this was a pathetic open for any star wars movie, even Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were the strongest openings of their respective years after the phantom menace abortion

When Darth Vader made a quip I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Thanks, Disney.

I've been saying this shit all day and faggots are like "At least it was better than TFA". Granted TFA wasn't good but this movie definitely wasnt either and it CERTAINLY wasn't better. Rogue one was boring and had NO characters. AS for Darth Vader only being in the movie for 5 mins I dont care. I was hoping for him to have no screen time. I wanted to get to know these characters. Like these characters so I can feel something when they die. Its fucking sad that a remake of a remake of a Jap film(pic related) had more character and heart with a group of misfits than this fucking movie did. I went in there expecting a similar feel to this movie's characters to that film, but instead I get a boring lackluster version of Halo: Reach. When your movie is guaranteed to end with your main characters dying, you better make sure your audience cares about them.

>le contrarian meme

are we still doing this contrarian shit even after yelling at Sup Forums for being contrarian didn't work and trump is now president?

people STILL won't accept people hold viewpoints out of belief not because of le contrarian meme?

The characters were so shit I couldn't even remember any of their names the very next day.

they ruined mads too. they made his acting atrocious and he literally is forced to act like a cartoon hero when its the opposite of who he is as an actor.

its like in fucking dr strange, both by disney strange enough.

You do realize that Lucas went out of his way to ensure he had the bulk of the rights to money made from action figures when he was first given the money to make A new hope?

If my memory serves me correct Harrison Ford was the only cast member who took a smaller cash salary for a percentage of toy sales also. I recall Carrie Fisher bitching about it years ago about how unfair it was and it was her actual fuck up

>Sounds like a franchise built on selling merchandise to me

>generic desert planet with people in the foreground and a ship in the background
WOW