/Jazz/ General

What have you been listening to user?

Other urls found in this thread:

guitarworld.com/artists/artist-list-six-contemporary-jazz-guitarists-worth-checking-out
youtube.com/watch?v=dAXxHmJs2lY
verneripohjolamusic.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Needed to pick something for a longer drive in a hurry and this was the next best thing I grabbed. Pretty smooth and relaxing, served the purpose.

Stéphane Grappelli and Oscar Peterson together sounds amazing, I'll give this a go, thanks user.
This is a killer record of Stan Getz with JJ Johnson, Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Connie Kay. Awesome line-up.

More like this please. I'm lacking in modern jazz guitar players.

So fucking good

guitarworld.com/artists/artist-list-six-contemporary-jazz-guitarists-worth-checking-out

Maybe if you've not checked out these guys (outside of Rosenwinkel) try them out.

first tracks of upcoming trumpeter Verneri Pohjola/drummer Mika Kallio duo album Animal Image are out today

very beautiful somber soundscapes with some tasteful electronics - composed/improvised for a short nature documentary Animal Image premiering at Helsinki's DocPoint festival in a few weeks

youtube.com/watch?v=dAXxHmJs2lY
verneripohjolamusic.bandcamp.com/

Decent list but missing Adam Rogers

A shame isn't it.

So fucking good indeed,
maybe check this out.

Thank you very much for this user.

>guitarworld.com/artists/artist-list-six-contemporary-jazz-guitarists-worth-checking-out

Bless you user

Ethiopian Jazz is a trip, especially Mulatu Astatke.

I was recommended Mulatu Astatke about 2 months ago, great stuff.

So fucking beautiful.

Is this considered cool jazz?

It honestly sounds like if Bull Evans played saxophone to me.
Is Evans cool jazz?

Bill Evans is Bill Evans man, I wouldn't say he's cool jazz but his approach to playing the piano is a world in and of it's own.
His improvisational skills and ideas, he's a true master.
Here's an album that showcases his mind and what he's capable of, it's like an orchestra on a piano through overdubbing.

Aside from pic related check out anything he's done with Scott Lefaro (Portrait, Waltz For Debby, etc)

More like this please.

I need something smooth and beautiful to listen to on a long train ride through the rain

user, enjoy.

Also anything else (for the most part) by Chet suits what you're looking for.

Really good man but I'm more looking for something with no vocals

Hmm, I've been digging Night Lights myself recently.
Something comparable? Go for Stan Getz, he's done great things with so many.
Ben Webster I highly recommend.

been going through Fontana's catalogue lately

Listening, primarily Horace Silver, and Antonio Carlos Jobim

Playing, Bud Powell, and Bill Evans

Well you seem to have covered a lot of bases there user, you dig Weather Report.
Have you gotten into any of Jaco's solo music?

>/jazz/ general
Don't you mean /jazz/ plus fusion

Nice, give Kikuchi a try, killer Japanese jazz musician.
And the whole of the personnel on pic related are amazing.

You're right user, but it's all Jazz. Don't be a Wynton Marsalis idealist.

1.- Can a person enjoy jazz/music in general if he doesn't know a shit about musical theory or how to play an instrument?

2.- John Coltrane.

Yes but not really on the same level as someone who plays jazz.

I think so, if you start with easier listening jazz music and you become accustomed to the genre, gradually you can get to a point where you can appreciate more of the avant-garde jazz out there. (I recommend cool jazz to start, Chet Baker and the likes)
For example using John Coltrane...
His Ballads album, very easy listening, then you move on through the years in his discography and suddenly it's his spiritual free jazz music, and well, I can't say you'll like but what he's doing is amazing.

At the end of the day if you play an instrument or understand theory your appreciation is heightened due to your understanding of the technicality beneath the music.

I am liking this. Any recs?