Hip Hop, a genre primarily focused on lyrics

>Hip Hop, a genre primarily focused on lyrics
>Even the greatest hip hop albums cannot even come close to matching the poetry of masters like Dylan or Cohen

Explain this

Other urls found in this thread:

genius.com/Leonard-cohen-famous-blue-raincoat-lyrics
youtube.com/watch?v=12rUOLtbQDk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>THE SUN IS CHICKEN xDD
>hey guys listen to me intentionally sing off key aren't I great

yeah nah Dylan was a hack

I'll give you Cohen though

this

most hip hop is designed to sell, not to change the game

>lyrics out of context
>"xD"
>can't get into voice

I'm just gonna leave this here

"Inside the museums, infinity goes up on trial
Voices echo this is what salvation must be like after a while
But Mona Lisa musta had the highway blues
You can tell by the way she smiles
See the primitive wallflower freeze
When the jelly-faced women all sneeze
Hear the one with the mustache say, "Jeez, I can't find my knees"
Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule
But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel"

Because educated white folk are generally more literate than impoverished black folk surrounded by crime and a fear of books.

this is literally nonsense

am I supposed to be impressed?

Isn't this kind of an apples to oranges comparison?

Because hip hop is all about status one way or another, there's no room for any interesting subjects

Hip hop is not primarily focused on lyrics. It's also meant to be played in the club or in the streets. IT ORIGINATED IN DISCOTHEQUES. Anyone who tells you otherwise is some backpack tfw intelligent loser

Thin line between poetry and bullshit word salad

I think of Paul Simon, Neil Young, and Van Morrison when I think of the former and Dylan when I think of the latter

Bernie fucking Taupin could write more poetic yet simultaneously sensible lyrics

Lol rappers destroy these two at every front in poetry. Meter, alliteration, rhyme scheme
Jay -z is the goat

Ah, so you're brainlets who can't into surrealism and imagery then. Gotcha.

How is comparing lyrics apples to oranges? It's all lyrics.

Undeniably a major part of hip hop music has been the fetishization of lyrical skill or talent. If you go back further, hip hop was heavily influenced by the African American music style of "capping," where artists would try to win over audiences with clever use of language, poetry, and wordplay.

If you honestly think that anything Jay-Z has ever written could compare with the lyrics of, say, Famous Blue Raincoat, then I don't know what to say to you besides that you should probably read more.

genius.com/Leonard-cohen-famous-blue-raincoat-lyrics

Do you not know what imagism or surrealism is?

Two overrated baby boomer jews who aint shit.

>How is comparing lyrics apples to oranges? It's all lyrics.
Different subject matters in each genre.

The only person who holds this opinion is a person who hasn't invested the time required to properly understand their catalogs.

>Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
>With one hand waving free
>Silhouetted by the sea
>Circled by the circus sands
>With all memory and fate
>Driven deep beneath the waves
>Let me forget about today until tomorrow

So because they are writing about different topics, they can't be compared? Moby Dick and Lord of the Rings are about completely different things, yet literary critics will compare and contrast them for things such as prose all the time.

Good writing is good writing, regardless of what the writing is about.

youtube.com/watch?v=12rUOLtbQDk
best bob era

brainlets itt legit think this is word salad

>get told some rap song has deep lyrics
>look it up
>lyrics are just about nigging

They have different structures and purposes. Moby Dick and Lord of the Rings are not so divorced from each other in that respect. Comparing LotR to Naked Lunch is more accurate

>They have different structures
Not really, they are both sets of poetry put in time with music. That's all that lyrics are. Yes, the structure of that poetry varies, but that is true for all poems.

>and purposes
The purpose of every poem is different depending on what the author wants to convey. They can still be compared.

>Moby Dick and Lord of the Rings are not so divorced from each other in that respect. Comparing LotR to Naked Lunch is more accurate

Moby Dick can still be compared to the Naked Lunch in many ways. While they differ in purpose and structure(as you said), both can be judged, compared, and contrasted for things like

>prose
>style
>content
>meaning
>context
>sub-context
>diction
>reliance on tropes

The same goes for lyrics, and in every one of those respects not a single one of the greatest hip hop lyricists can even touch any of the great rock lyricists.

>Surrealism
shitty new age meme movement
>links to genius
>calls others brainlets
I am literally lmaoing all over the floor right now holy shit

kys

yeah, but Dylan doesn't slap in the whip

>links to genius
>calls others brainlets

I don't know what "genius" is. I just typed in "Leonard Cohen Famous Blue Raincoat Lyrics" and linked the first result. Assumed it was just another lyrics site. If it isn't then I apologize, I suppose?

>Surrealism
>shitty new age meme movement

If this is your legitimate perspective then I'm sorry to say you are missing out on some of the best art of the past century. I'd also be willing to bet that at least some of the music you enjoy employs elements of surrealism.

>that vernacular
>that spacing
帰れ、外人のクソ野郎