BREAKING: SENATE BEING FILIBUSTERED BY DEMS FOR GUN CONTROL

BREAKING: SENATE BEING FILIBUSTERED BY DEMS FOR GUN CONTROL
Watch at channel9000.net/stream/cspan2/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4ADGJYSdSzw
youtube.com/watch?v=MDUrw7j0UA4
guccifer2.wordpress.com/2016/06/15/dnc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here we go, Sandy Hook 2.0 Electric Boogaloo. I will say though if the Senate starts turning blue in the next few years we may be in trouble.

Filibustering?

talking for way longer than you should to stop legislation being passed or whatever. basically it's an exploitation of the rule that you can't vote until everyone's had their say so if your say never ends then nobody can vote.

Thanks

>republican majority in the senate
>republican majority in the house

Yeah, it's fucking nothing. Let the idiots tire themselves out -- it will prevent them from trying to pass any other degenerate law while they waste their time on this.

Here's what I don't get, what would fillibustering even accomplish here? They don't get to vote or anything so like, why???

There will be a bill that makes people on any sort of watchlist unable to buy guns, and it will pass with bipartisan support and get signed into law. Just watch.

it's the equivalent of throwing a temper tantrum, really.
>SINCE THE SENATE ISN'T DOING WHAT I LIKE I WON'T LET THEM DO ANYTHING AT ALL!!!

mr smith goes to washington

youtube.com/watch?v=4ADGJYSdSzw

> Sen. Chris Murphy says.
>'I’m going to remain on this floor until we get some signal, some sign that we can come together,' Sen. Chris Murphy says.

read

>'I’m going to remain on this floor until you agree with me that due process should be circumvented,'

IIRC it can be overturned on a vote but needs about 2/3 of the Senate

The Republicans are the primary users of filibusters, why wouldn't the Democrats just adapt to this scorched-earth era of politics ushered in by the GOP?

Doesn't matter who fucking uses it more, it's about why they use it. They're going all in on this, the same way Rand "Fuck the NSA" Paul filibustered for several hours to protest that "national security" bill.

Eh. To be honest I don't think its the worst piece of shit they could pass.

I think the NRA's current position is they want to make the watchlist more transparent and easier to get removed from if you are on it erroneously.

Now what could be REALLY interesting is if the Republicans got clever and decided to add some amendments that were really progun, like a national CC bill or a legalization of surpressors as non NFA, or repealing the MG ban. And then give those amendments generic names like the Sensory Protection Act for suppresors, or the Gun Violence Fundraiser Tax act (which would be actually the legalization of civie post 86 MGs to be made, and the fundraising being the 200 dollar tax stamp owners would already have to pay).

Or they could even call the National CC law the 'American First Crisis Responders amendment' to really throw them off, complete with 2nd amendment bolstering language.

If we pulled this shit off, it would be an '86 tier coup that would initially let the gun grabbers be happy...until they start losing lawsuits left and right and their gunphobia nightmares become a reality, as we use their ignorance and feels against them to fill America with hundreds of millions of machine guns and destructive devices in every state including the liberal ones, and the federal government doesn't do shit anymore because they would be making soooo much money from thr stamps they'd tell the liberals to fuck off.

Right, because the Congressional equivalent of a temper tantrum really lends itself to good governance.

And we will all be put on the list. An have no recourse to prove we should not be on the list.

>Now what could be REALLY interesting is if the Republicans got clever and decided to add some amendments that were really progun, like a national CC bill or a legalization of surpressors as non NFA, or repealing the MG ban.

No, because that would be an actual compromise, where both sides get something they want. When dems say "why won't you compromise?" they mean "why don't you do exactly what we want and get nothing in return?".

What the Fuck are they filibustering? Its not like there is some national CCW law that is to be voted on. They are halting our legislative branch just because they are too inept to get any legislature passed. This is a literal tantrum being thrown by democrats because they can't get their way.

It's an allowed option, and any of them is free to use it. Their usage of sit signifies how hard some of them want gun control. Where are you going with this?

It's almost why Congress has a 10% approval rating.

Funnily enough, for a lot of gun rights advocates, the Senate doing nothing is perfectly acceptable.

Only will happen if the Republican Congressmen have balls.

I've seen no evidence of this in the last decade.

Filibustering...the LACK of a law?

Good job.

Never going to happen. The repubs are all either incompetent or agree with dems on the important issues.

I am actually fairly pleased by it, since it undermines their half-assed assertions that it was illegitimate when it was done by the other side.

But we are wandering into Sup Forums territory I guess, anybody want to do a thread about weapons?

How many times have you typed "bomb" while on the internet? How many weapons systems have you used the internet to look up? How many watch lists do you think you're on as a result?

>What the Fuck are they filibustering?

They want an AWB and universal background checks, and are willing to halt the legislative process until such bills are introduced and voted on.

But that's why it would be perfect to catch them off guard. Because they are so used to having things go their way and the democrats are expecting to not get any progress.

So if we use their creeping tactics against them...we could slip it right past them and have Obama sign it without reading too much under pressure from his own allies.

And then like a months later Obama will find out he is the president who legalized machine guns again and his own party will eat him alive.

The government which governs best governs least. -Thomas Jefferson

This a feature, not a bug.

Probably zero since I buy guns and fly for work all the time.

Didn't some user just say the no fly list was less strict then the terrorist one?

How does that help them if they want gun control legislation to be passed?

They're refusing to do anything else until gun control legislation is introduced.

Introducing it is THEIR job.

It's political theatre. They're "taking a stand" against those evil, heartless, obstructive republicans.

They say they're

>making an effort to pressure Republicans to accept legislation that would deny suspected terrorists from purchasing firearms and require universal background checks.

>“I’m going to remain on this floor until we get some signal, some sign that we can come together on these two measures, that we can get a path forward on addressing this epidemic in a meaningful, bipartisan way,”

So basically they're going to keep filibustering until Republicans "compromise" and agree to universal background checks and making anyone on a secret watchlist a prohibited person

You didn't specify terrorist watch lists. There are a lot of different watch lists, including ones that are only done with data mining. Also, there have been bills (and it may currently be this way in some instances) that place people in recognized militias on terrorist watch lists. So if you could ever see yourself wanting to organize within your community, or see a possibility of these sorts of trappings extending to other organizations, like gun clubs, then you should not think you are immune. Dems love to do this shit incrementally when they can't do it all at once.

> Suspected Terrorists

So pretty much every militia group in the United States?

Exactly, they're throwing a tantrum because they can't get their way. They aren't using a filibuster in the traditional sense of blocking a bill from passing. They are shutting down our legislative branch until they get their way. Its fucking asinine.

no you fucking idiot. its a purposeful agenda being advanced like its been for the past century. republicans/democrats, neither give a fuck about rights. but you have to make it seem like they do so that the people dont rise up.

They wont ban guns doesnt matter how many amerifats shot up because gun slaes make hell lot of a money and those sales worth more than your life

End of story

>national CC bill or a legalization of surpressors as non NFA, or repealing the MG ban
Tbh I would almost let them put name brand ARs on the NFA in return for this.

Almost.

One can only hope.

you are supposed to filibuster to stop a bill from being passed, not to force the majority to pass a bill that the minority demands and is against the will of the people

youtube.com/watch?v=MDUrw7j0UA4

According to the Dems, what they want is uncontroversial and massively supported by the American people.
This is how you know gun control proponents are divorced from reality.

they still use that one shitty loaded question poll from the day after Sandy Hook as "proof" Americans want gun control

Just like they still use that fucked up study from the 90s where some asshole took one county in one state and compared DGUs that resulted in criminals being killed to all deaths and woundings from suicide and accidents, coming to the conclusion that "a gun in the home is more likely to injure you than an attacker".

Their bullshit is shot down so often they latch onto anything and everything that validates their beliefs.

It doesn't, they're being retarded and pissing people off. Didn't work ever in history.

>They want an AWB and universal background checks, and are willing to halt the legislative process

You know, that's absolutely fine with me. They're the ones whining when shit can't get done when they are NEVER willing to truly compromise.

>Just mentioned that any No Guns if On Terrorist List Bill would have provisions to appeal in cases of false positives

I don't want it, but it's certainly not as bad as everyone is making it seem.

>restricting rights without due process
>"not that bad"
Get the fuck out

You believe them? You think the "appeal" process will be any better than the appeal process for the no-fly list?

>list is secret
>not notified if you're added
>have to send a written letter to FBI
>they may or may not tell you why you were added
>may or may not tell you if you're still on the list or not
>feds have no duty to investigate or reconsider your inclusion on the list
>no affirmative way to appeal your inclusion

Why the hell would they make the appeal process for a terrorist watch list any easier than that for the no fly list?

Also this. There is no due process, no oversight, no transparency. The feds can add anyone to the list at any time for any reason and it's up for that person to figure out they're on the list themselves (there's no notification) and figure out a way to appeal it.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

>Without due process
>includes due process
Are you stupid?

Agreed. But people are acting like they're going for an AWB or worse again and it's simply not the case.

What due process? Are they going to bring every single person on the lis to court to explain to a judge that theyre a terrorist risk and should have their rights taken away?

An inch is an inch. Forward momentum needs to be prevented for them.

Having an apeal to an automatic rights restriction is not due process. Innocent until proven guilty is still a thing.

They are. It was all about muh scary salt rifle before the bodies were cold

I'm completely content with the response to any gun control being so (for a lack of a better term) "extreme". It seems that the people have learned that "common sense" gun laws are only small progressions towards their endgame, which is a total ban.

Bullshit. Everyone on the internet is screaming for it. I was seeing posts for it as the shooting was happening.

I feel I should write them a letter thanking them.

The government should shut down more often; if they're not working, they can't fuck things up as fast.

How long is the senate open for, 9am-5pm or do they literally cry about federalising EVERYTHING until they either get bored or achieve in their objective?

Because no matter what they get, the immediate response from the left is "now what else can we take?" since forever.

I remember when Clinton was battling congress and "gridlock" was the buzzword of the day, and he was like "good. There's too many laws on the books already"

Had to get older to understand what he meant but I sure do now. Governmental paralysis is bad if there's a crisis or something of great importance that needs doing, but it is our friend during times of relative peace and stability because it keeps them from meddling just to justify their existence

*my dad was like

What time did this start?

They are literally pulling shit out of their ass. Also why is it gun grabbers sound like such effeminate faggots?!?

Because they are.

So what do you guys think will come out of this?

Someone will pass out from boredom.

nothing

if 30 dead kids couldn't do it, 50 dead promiscuous fags killed by a Muslim definitely won't

It's been going for 8.5 hours, so...

You sure? You have to realize these people think it's the white man's fault this all happened, and add the whole election tension in the air and I don't know what to expect

The election is one of the reasons why it wont happen. Too risky because the voters depending on WHOEVER wins their ass is grass if they are the wrong side.

Too early to tell imo. The Senate vote will probably get split, with the UBCs and the No-Fly list ban being voted on separately.
The No-Fly list ban is DOA in any court with the current state of it, so that shouldn't be an issue going forward (if it gets upheld, then panic).
UBCs have a very slim chance of passing, but they might. All it takes is half a dozen or so Repubs breaking ranks and she goes through. We'll probably get another vote on party lines with UBCs getting shot down though.

The filibuster is just a waste of everyone's time.

DNCs DATA ON TRUMP LEAKED
LINK BEING BLOCKED ON REDDIT SITEWIDE

guccifer2.wordpress.com/2016/06/15/dnc/

Pretty sure it's 9-5

Welcome to the jungle, /k/.

fuck off space niggers

pls no

Seriously though when did /k/ mods start moving threads instead of just deleting them?

????

test

Did anyone else' flags all change to question mark?

>all unknown flags

What is going on here

It's a thread from /k/. Mods moved it.

This thread was imported from /k/, where there are no flags.

literally wat

A few months or so

The majority demand it and it *is* the will of the people, though.
The problem is that it's politically inexpedient to try and get any kind of common-sense, extremely minimal gun control passed, because they're always worrying about getting re-elected, and discussing gun control at all will get the NRA funding huge attack ads. We've seen that happen so many times.

>We've seen that happen so many times.

have "we", bong?

What the fuck is this neo-nazi board desu kids

It got moved from special /k/.

While that is true something still should be done to stir the Dems they're stupid.
Shut up.

>The majority demand it and it *is* the will of the people, though.

It's really not, or else all these Republicans would have lost their seats. That's generally what happens when you obstruct the will of your constituents.

this is /k/, but I don't really frequent that board so I can't say.

I agree, automatic military-style full mag assault rifles should be banned. /k/ would understand.

WTF IS THAT UNKNOWN FLAG

Sealand. /k/ finally took it over, but hasn't chosen a flag yet.