ITT: Great albums ruined by poor mixing

ITT: Great albums ruined by poor mixing.

If you can’t enjoy an album unless the production is absolutely flawless, you don’t understand music.

There's albums that are meant to sound bad and there's album that are meant to sound good but come out sounding bad. We're talking about the latter here.

Production doesn't need to be flawless, it just has to Mesh well with the type of music being playing. Nevermind the bullocks and Exile on Main Street are perfect examples of intentionally shitty mixing that fits well with the intended design of the music.

I get that, it doesn’t “ruin” the album regardless though. TMWStW is still a really good album.

i used to love this before i got actual good headphones

Nonagon Infinity by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is one of the most poorly mixed albums I’ve heard recently, and I like their other stuff. MOTU suffers from the same problem.

I was so disappointed when I bought Nonagon Infinity on Vinyl, the mixing was even worse on Vinyl. But, hey at least the record looked pretty.

No strangest production imaginable. Who thought this sounded good in the studio? The only thing worse is the hard-L/R-pan nightmare of Fresh Cream’s stereo release

Actually In Color is alright, but the mix on Heaven Tonight is terrible. It's too slick, and sterile.

heh

kek

Which version do you have a problem with?
The Iggy version or the Bowie version?

I prefer the Iggy mix over the Bowie mix. Either way I still really enjoy the album.

the original mix of the texas jerusalem crossroads is fucking unlistenable with headphones on

At least the original album art isn't as bad as the remastered.

It's my favorite album but why can't there be a really good sounding version? I've read an interview with the mastering engineer for one of the re-issues and he said the stems he got sounded like they had been ripped to casette. ... I heard the Steven Wilson remixes. He had the opportunity to do something great. Instead he took a lush, expansive, cavernous, celestial, Yes record, pumped up the lead vocal like it was pop music or something, and removed all sense of atmosphere and scale. Fucking hack, that guy.

Seriously, the original cover is awful and the remaster is just, the same but done by the dude that did all those rap mixtape covers in the late 90s/early 00s.

literally the same fucking photoshop gold/diamond text effect

I didn't say it was good, I just said it wasn't as bad. I'd take the shitty dull colors over the shiny shit in the remastered. They both look awful. Maybe it's just me but I think the remastered is much better.

At least Heaven Tonight has a well-mixed rhythm section. The drums on In Color are really weak, especially compared to the Steve Albini version.

came to post these

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I would also take the old cover over the new one with the cash money text effect.
What I meant is that they had an opportunity to give it a decent cover and instead went with...that

Hey I was going to make this thread

album pictured has a particularly grainy sound, but all of the first five Roxy Music albums have bad to mediocre mixing

What? Explain me how the mixing is bad?

Probably 90s Deep Purple albums.
They got their shit fixed by Bananas though.

so true, at least it seems they're stepping up on that matter, Polygondwanaland and Gumboot Soup have a much better mixing and Banana ain't as bad either

bad to mediocre studio choice too as well

>Let's just hard-pan the bitch to the right channel

"5 AUTOTUNED KANYES SINGING THROUGH A SIMULTANEOUS HEART ATTACK"

You assume it's because they were all very high. You would have thought they'd listen to what the Beatles or Hendrix were doing and tried to compete.
Cream are dogshit anyway in hindsight. A few good Clapton solos and riffs, with mainly terrible songwriting and really bad white boy blues singing

How did Visconti fuck up so badly? Low, Heroes and Scary Monsters sound great

listen to the mono mix instead

>listening to Cream focusing on songwriting and singing instead of the best rhythm section of all time

Raw production doesn't always mean bad production.

what does poor mixing mean?
bad production?
inappropriate track order?

>make hip hop album entailing dense, lush orchestral and choral instrumentation
>muddy it all up through shitty radio pop brickwall mixing
Hell, hip hop music in general doesn't know how to mix/master well. Even other greats in its realm like Madlib often have their shit brickwalled. It's part of why I enjoy clipping. so much because their stuff is mix/mastered so well that they are able to have detail and dynamics in their music that hip hop just doesn't have.

Mixing is the act of mixing all the tracks together. Levels. Equalization. Effects. I could go on.

Dre is pretty much the only person in the realm of hip-hop that knows what he's doing.

Oh, and anyone listing mid 60s/early 70s stuff due to channel splits that happens with modern listening hardware, listen to those things in mono. Back in the day the vinyls were played through devices where it wouldn't split into separate channels like that. But if those same things are played through modern stuff it splits.

Dre is good I agree. It's crazy how the drums on some of the tracks on Chronic and 2001 have aged so much better than a lot of hip hop that came during or after them.