90s indie thread

Post any good indie album/song from the 90s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pm_R5u0DHec
youtube.com/watch?v=ArPR3gjs-0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=OnOWW422Jyc
youtube.com/watch?v=E443L0MB-3E
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=1990s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
youtube.com/watch?v=PJYg8G8ebWE
youtube.com/watch?v=wDSHbHJB_rE
youtube.com/watch?v=ePvmxGA2vqU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Continuing with Pavement.

ok contrarian

Can someone explain this album? I've really tried liking it but can't see why it's so loved

Pavement and GBV are so amazing and I'm surprised they haven't resonated with the millennial generation as much as they should

Any of you guys heard of this? Band is called Neutral Milk Hotel. Such an underrated masterpiece

Pavement and GBV is just great fucking songwriting without any aesthetic/image/lifestyle/sexy frontman lead, of course they haven't resonated with a millenial generation that prefers the latter

I guess it's a combination of the frenetic rhythms (i.e. Memory Machine, Gyroscope, and Girl O'Clock) with the existential and anxious lyrics. It really captures that feeling of being a young adult and dreading the future

Also Pavement have one of the best discogs ever in my opinion. pic related isn't even my favorite album of theirs (that would be Wowee Zowee)

Album is underrated as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=pm_R5u0DHec

>that album title

no way that can be good

Based LOAFposter

Where my /woweezowee/ bros at

will listen

what this guy said desu

This is my favorite rock record of the 90s. I think the Breeders are even better than the Pixies desu. Kim Deal is incredible

steven malkmus defines the slacker qt aesthetic

best 'ment coming through

The Shins never clicked with me but this album is pretty good.

Agreed. Grounded is the best song they ever did IMO

Best Fugazi LP or Repeater

ALL. I. EVER. SAY. NOW. IS. GOOD.
BYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEE

Posting the best Polvo album

the pinnacle of 90's indie rock

disgusting

grounded was the first pavement song i ever loved by i've kind of grown out of it these days, pueblo is the superior ballad imo. motion suggests itself is my all time favorite

BIG
THICC
LOAF

and this. these are the only two lily's albums i've heard but i think they're great

youtube.com/watch?v=ArPR3gjs-0Q

youtube.com/watch?v=OnOWW422Jyc

best fugazi

No mention of here? One of pavements best ballads

i was just speaking for wowee zowee. here is great, though im more of a zurich is stained guy

Good album but nah, that goes to

youtube.com/watch?v=E443L0MB-3E

>shaved balls a few days ago and they itchy af right now

Black Out is the secret best song on Wowee Zowee desu

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=1990s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO SAAAAAAAAAAY WHATTA WANT ME TO DOOOOOO

this and pic related

i had gone through wowee zowee a million times before i realized that black out was actually one of the best songs on the album. a similar thing happened to me with newark wilder on CRCR

I don't hear these guys talked about nearly enough, they're excellent

zurich is stained is great, wish it was two minutes longer

bumping with another obvious one to combat these NIN shitters. this thread is comfy and i want more recs

youtube.com/watch?v=PJYg8G8ebWE

I love Wowee Zowee and Serpentine Pad is a good ass song

lots of Pavement itt, needs this

This. I love the shins but this might be Mercer's best

Dirt of Luck was pretty good

Fugazi and the Breeders, while great, are not indie.

Bump

this guy gets it

bumping with some power pop

>Pavement
>No aesthetic or image

GBV is very well-known for their heay-drinking, blue collar image. Bob Pollard plays it up pretty hard too.

Amazing album

fuck off with all the pavement holy shit

aaaa a fellow motion suggests itself broski wew

I see a few people talking about this album on here sometimes. It's usually negative but I quite like it.

Icky Mettle too

credit where credit is due

"No Pocky For Kitty" has a better title though

i see your keep it like a secret and i'll raise you a perfect from now on

keep it like a secret is their best

i don't think Sup Forums realizes how big Urge were in those days

god i'm glad i posted this because now i'm listening to it

i disagree. keep it like a secret does have some of their best songs, but as an album listened to from start to finish, perfect from now on is their most cohesive album. every song on it is great, and they don't sound like they could be on any other album. keep it like a secret feels more to me like a collection of really good songs than a unit, like perfect from now on

youtube.com/watch?v=wDSHbHJB_rE

Her voice was fucking adorable.

Perfect Sound Forever [Drag City, 1991]

Husker Du for the age of indie irony--hooky grunge as guitar power, turnoff splatter as loyalty test, mad drummer as mad drummer. All on 10 inches of 45-r.p.m. vinyl-only sporting seven titles and four songs. A-

Slanted and Enchanted [Matador, 1992]

Though no outsider wants to believe it, they're not just the latest scruffy rumor. And though no insider wants to believe it, they're more well-schooled than inspired--skilled, gifted, of enduring artistic value, condensing a decade of indie thrashing about into a two-year recording career that takes off with their debut album. Always good at both tune and noise, they sacrifice you-know-what for you-know-what now that they're thinking about quitting their day jobs, and as you'd expect, the content is formal: noise doesn't give up without a fight, often it fights hard, sometimes it fights dirty, and tune digs where it's coming from. Yielding a message complex enough to offer hope that the lyrics--more bemused than enraged, more depressive than despairing--will catch up. A

Watery Domestic [Matador EP, 1992]

The rumor that the title means "watered-down, not wild" would bewilder music-lovers outside Indieland. Though it does comprise four distinguishable, hummable songs, it isn't anything the big guys would call pop music, just a dandy outro for Drag City's EP compilation. And since nobody this good lives in Indieland forever, it raises the question of what they'll do for an encore. As they brag, admit, or observe, they've got "so much style that it's wasted." Which means the content problem is staring down their throats. A-

this makes me wish i never listened to pavement

All the critics in the 90s were dickslurping indie rock. It was just the thing to do at the time.

yea and Sup Forums didn't get the memo to stop doing so 25 years later

Music critics are mostly sheeple, they all follow the same trends.

>70s
Dickride punk and New Wave
>80s
Dickride alternative rock and African music
>90s
Dickride indie rock

And so forth.

it's not even the dickriding, christgau's writing is so fucking pompous that it makes me want to hate everything he likes. good thing for me, he has mostly shit taste, other than a few things here or there

>Fugazi and the Breeders, while great, are not indie.

oh shut the fuck up

i tried so much to get into this in the 90s and recently and i just don't get it at alll

are flaming lips worth my time? they seem like massive posers

maybe you could listen and form your opinion but that's probably more effort than you're used to

Superchunk was great

not indie

agree

disagree

no u
Fugazi is post hardcore and Breeders were power pop-y alternative. Just because Dischord is an indie label doesn't make Fugazi sound like the Silver Jews, Pavement, or Archers of Loaf. Breeders were on Electra in the US so no indie cred whatsoever.

I've always wondered what Archers of Loaf is about. Personally I can only picture a group of 20~ish topless males wearing face-paint and prancing around a fire, singing holy tributes that are dedicated to a sacred loaf of bread.

Any excitement for their upcoming album? What a Time to Be Alive brought some energy despite the on-the-nose lyrics. Erasure feels pretty low effort though.

Just listened to this.
Will definitely return

youtube.com/watch?v=ePvmxGA2vqU

They're good, most stuff on Flying Nun is

dang i only have their other three, guess i need this too.