/prod/ - Music Production General

169 vacuum tubes edition

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists
---
something something discord whatever
free my nigga hyzer
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/txivtsgu
clyp.it/db5ypj1r
soundcloud.com/maagamusic/somethin-bout-you
clyp.it/qdlqsacd
clyp.it/pf4wfp5h
audioz.download
clyp.it/5mrgn1eg
youtu.be/iMQzcufkToI?t=5m1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

who is the best poster on the discord

the one who deletes the server

if you made me mod I would do just that

To all the producers here: You can't do shit. I am an actual artist and going to change and mix shit with different samples etc to make not full songs, but whole albums that include bridges, intros, outros and many different technique's to approach the samples I find. To me it's disgusting how you wannabe artists come here, take three seconds from Rubycon for a loop and think you're the shit. You are nothing.

If you tune a brap with A=432hz, all your anal fissures will be healed upon playback.

fuck dude, you're right. gonna go get a comp sci degree and make bank instead of pursuing music now. thanks for the advice homie!

clyp.it/txivtsgu

Does this sound decent?

Sounds like a mashup between Deadmau5's Ghosts N' Stuff and Kaskade's 4 AM (Adam K & Soha Mix).

Sounds pretty cool indeed . :)

thanks for the fb! I've been trying to work on mixing tracks to get that classic dance sound and I think I'm getting it :D

I think you are nailing the synths and soundscape. I realize this is subjective but I feel like the percussion is one of the weak points here. I think you could tighten up the envelopes on the drum sounds for one. Theres a lot of fat you could shave off the snare, for example. I did just read that you were going for a classic dance sound, so I guess "raw and out of the drum machine" type sound does fit with that, vs the "carefully layered tight enveloped percussion" that you hear in modern tracks of this style. BUt it sounds like your drums are in one era and your synths are in a whole different one. If you compare with deadmau5's (im in agreement with poster above) percussion its much tighter and every little bit of frequency fat that is unneeded on each drum sound has been carefully trimmed out to optimize its power.

Here's another thing. If you are trying to go for a dance anthem, then these hugely layered synth sounds will only get you so far- at some point you need to give the listener something that they take with them when they walk away from the track. What makes ghosts n stuff (and similar songs) memorable is that melody and the call and response synth stuff that occurs at various parts. The shit you might hum in your head, later. Your track has the scenery for this type of anthem, but its missing that memorable hook that I can take with me to play in my head.

Here's a trap beat I just started working on. Trap is definitely not my area of expertise, but I wanted try something new and have some fun experimenting in this area.

clyp.it/db5ypj1r

anyone got any good melody/loop packs they're willing to part with?

looking for some chill and vibey stuff, think oliver francis meets brockhampton

Just released a new track, would love for you to hear it (:

Returning any follows, reposts etc!

soundcloud.com/maagamusic/somethin-bout-you

fuck just realized this is /prod/ sorry. I don't know how to delete posts. so just report it if you need to.

i sent this to a local rapper. its my take on making beats.
clyp.it/qdlqsacd

Anyone just jam for fun and have no real aspirations to release music?

the discord link is broken

learn how to produce and write your own stuff, you're not going to progress or go anywhere relying on downloads and packs to make music.

kill yourself

this is my first time trying to properly master something after mixing it, any comments or tips with that?/how does this sound? any glaring issues u more experienced people have?
ty :)
clyp.it/pf4wfp5h

considering none of the producers i listen to or strive to be like create their own melodies (at least, rarely do), no thanks

dont have the time to learn sounddesign

i can make a great beat in under 5 minutes, its the melody/chord progressions that i struggle with

>want to make sounds
>cant be arsed to "learn sounddesign"
>apparently doesn't want to learn basic music theory either
>wants to make music

kill yourself or learn, either way in 2 years you will regret not starting sooner

Don't you want to be even better than the producers you adore?

then you're relying on pure luck that someone picks you up because you make good "beats"?

i'm asking you if you take yourself seriously and actually want to achieve artistic success

also sound design is a huge part of making "good beats", i hope you realize.

anybody else turn their love of sound into a career?

been producing since i was like 15 (23 now) and now i work tv and sports as an A1, it all started with producing.

I think your guitar tone is too scratchy. Maybe change the distortion or if not possible a bit of reverb and shelve the highs. And or make the guitar ultra wide. The right speaker one is louder than the left in an annoying way. Its tone is the most annoying part

Ah the 'accidental post on purpose'

what monitors should i get? im novice but i want to have a better setup. should i get the meme yellow ones?

If I was starting out and on a budget, i might look at the mackie mr line. The larger inches the better i would assume.

get a midrange speaker (meaning sub under 1000) and learn them

i promise once you hear what you do on *good* speakers you'll be open to mixing on apple headphones

it matters, but what REALLY matters is being comfortable with what you're hearing and what you're hearing it on.

whatever medium you listen to music the most on is probably the "right one"

to answer your question, pick a decent pair and just learn it. if you cant get NX10's then they're all the same-ish, just test on phone and in car (because that's what you're comfortable with, get it?)

How do these edgy 17-21 yr olds start becoming SoundCloud rappers. Is it better to pirate a copy of fl studio or buy beats?

depends on your situation.

if you're 17 and have nothing to lose, make your own beats and put them out, fuck it

if you're not, then find some kid, make (let) him make beats for you, do your best, outsource past that (with people you trust. you do have a network and/or loose team, right?)

What's a good resource for learning music theory (preferably specifically aimed at fl studio). Can't find anything in the OP.

Sorry I am retarded, found it but I am still open for other suggestions.

>envelopes on the drum sounds
What the hell is this bullshit pls?

>How do these edgy 17-21 yr olds start becoming SoundCloud rappers.
its not their lyrical ability, nor is it their production value

they have charisma and memeability. gain enough followers on social media (instagram/twitter/soundcloud) and people will buy anything you put up to support you

Is audioz.download safe to download from? And has anyone used the newest TEAM-R2R korg authorizer?

Im a novice starting out with production. I have used Ableton and need advice on what to buy for production. Headphones or Studio Monitors? Also which ones dont need a audio interface? I need to plug it and thats it.

AudioZ is safe (still check the comme ts before downloading).
No idea about the activator.

Please elaborate.

you need an interface either way because its better sound than your computer, depends whether you want to bother neighbours and your budget. if starting out just get some great headphones, monitors can be not so good if you give up producing 'cause they're not so great for normal listening

>monitors can be not so good if you give up producing 'cause they're not so great for normal listening
Mfw I listen to everything through my studio monitors.

thanks for the fb! I can definitely tell what you mean about the drums. Right now I'm running all the layers through the same eq. So my kick and layered kick run right through the same bus. I'm not sure if thats a good thing (since to be me, it makes it almost sound analog) or if I'm just muddying up the sound. Any advice?

As far as the hook comment....I know I need something. This is the part that always stumps about writing this shit.

Yo man, steak sauce doesn't need to elaborate on why it became steak sauce. Just be happy that it chose that path.

I wouldn't do that

I’ve been doing it for 10 plus years now, no turning back. Plus I know how they sound really well now with a wide variety of music.

Not bad, though its missing the hard hitting sub. Your 808 kick just sounds like its it the background... where in trap, it should be the main focus. You should feel that shit and know when it hits. Some of your issues may be just eq and compression. Make sure you have everything cut at at least 80 Hz to give room for your sub frequencies and boost the sub at 3 - 5 kHz to get the slap / presence.

Also side chain your leads to the snare.

not allowed but it still sounds dope. good work!

if you're going for the unmastered garaged sound, you nailed it. But otherwise its pretty muddy. Your drums sound drowned out and your guitar seems like it doesn't have a high end (i.e. its got no crispness).

Nope don't believe it

You better believe it

try another thread

What exactly is your problem? I have nice monitors in my studio space, all other speakers in my flat are shit so if I want to listen to music it’s on my monitors. Why’s that so hard to believe?

>anybody else turn their love of sound into a career?
No but I’d really like to do some kind of sound design professionally. Anything involving atmospheric soundscapes, field recording or foley work would be nice.
Been fucking around with samplers and sounds since I was 19 (40 now)

clyp.it/5mrgn1eg

r8 if u want lmao

I started thinking about it and then my tinnitus worsened a lot and now I don't know what to do. I mean, what if it keeps getting worse until I can't hear anything but beeeeeeeeeeeeeep forever

My tinnitus is getting really bad recently. It keeps getting really fucking loud, whereas its always been a steady background noise

sounds really really bad, didn't enjoy listening to that

Same.
Me days I don't even think about it, and some days I can't sleep or concentrate.
It's also random and comes when I don't use my ears all day too.
Though I noticed it gets loud every time I hear higher frequencies, like unfiltered saws and distorted stuff, even at low volume.

Luckily they're making significant discoveries in its cure, so I'm hopeful.

thats what you get for putting the volume all the way up retards

>Implying

>thats what you get for putting the volume all the way up retards
This is true although I generally produce on fairly quiet headphones. I think my tints is forgoing to clubs in my youth and standing right next to the bass stacks all night also working on building sites all my life doesn't help either

>Best bit of studio advice
Dont mash your ears up kek

youtu.be/iMQzcufkToI?t=5m1s

ty, ill try messing with my tone and have a go at mixing the drums again

Drum sounds that decay really fast.

i am the same way... whats wrong with this?

Theres nothing wrong with it I dont think. I use my Beyerdynamic monitor headphones for listening to music too. I just prefer the flatness of them compared to my bass heavy senny earbuds

jbl best sound for value