Jazz

I'll tell you one thing -- I'm no longer ashamed of my inability to "get into" jazz. I'm old enough now to realize that the problem is not the fact that I don't play any brass instruments, nor that I grew up surrounded by the sounds of rock and roll -- the reason that I dislike this music so much is because of all the soloing. To me, sitting down and listening to some asshole bleat, blat and bloop 4000 notes in no particular order on top of mediocre jazz chord sequences is no more a sign of 'cultured taste' than listening to a Joe Satriani album. Both styles of music are completely self-indulgent, violate nearly every rule of musical composition that I respect, and bore the living loving maid out of me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bCmo30r3OXI
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sorry user. Jazz isn't discussed here anymore You can't even get discussions going with low tier bait anymore. The community died with /blindfold/.

What is /blindfold/.?

It was a weekly thread where jazz fans around Sup Forums used to upload a themed jazz playlist with all the metadata stripped. People would listen over the week and then give opinions about the tracks, guess who the players were, etc. and then at the end of the thread the track info was revealed and someone uploaded a new playlist.
It was pretty fucking sweet and lasted close to a year but eventually stopped being a thing. It was kind of the last bastion of jazz discussion and nowadays /jazz/ threads rarely get more than ~10 replies.

You need the rest of the meme where they take the piss out of Modern Jazz Giants.
The joke isn't half as funny without taking into account how fucking disappointing that record is.

I noticed that the shorter people's attention spans are, and the worse their ability to memorize music, the slimmer the chance they'll like jazz.

I'm not sure if it's an iq or genetics thing, but typically people with better memory are more appreciative of groove and soulfulness. I think that's why Jazz isn't as popular in US anymore, like it is in Europe.

That's alright OP, most people in the world don't know a thing about music and just want someone singing over the same pop beat being recycled for the hundredth time.

Go back to your trap or emo or whatever else you listen to.

You could try indigo jam unit for more composition-centered Jazz.

RIP

I didn't have time to participate very often but the /blindfold/ threads were the best regular threads on Sup Forums ever

Since when is bragging about not liking a genre of music that is regarded as the most complex and harmonic in popular music a good thing? I mean i get it, it became a meme to shill ''i can't into jazz'' these days, but please, stop it.

>4000 notes in no particular order
>no particular order

Imagine having such a short attention span and such terrible pattern recognition that you can't hear the logic, order, and patterns in a good jazz solo.

You're listening to the wrong JazzMan.

hey it's the Herbie Hancock stan! i posted 2 headhunter albums in the share thread, go download them

Don't call me a Stan that's rude as fuck.
>i posted 2 headhunter albums in the share thread,
I've already listened to HeadHunters.
Unless you mean the HH band. They released more albums? I want details.

Nah, you're an idiot. Sorry.

A couple of years ago, I sat down and listened to Sup Forumscore jazz stuff. I completely fell in love with a love supreme. Maybe it was just the name "John Coltrane" , but I listened to that album non stop for a couple of months. It helped me get rid of my anxiety.

Good for you man.

Try something accessible and unwanky like Django. If you can't hear any expression or taste then your not listening.

Django feels like hippy shit.

Some people don't like music, but like looking at artists they "connect" with, and still talk like they know what they're saying. It's all good though.

It could be both you know. I cared very little about boc before I read about them.

The dude is either a troll or literally thinks Miles "play the silences" Davis is the sort of player who shreds 4000 notes a measure with no regard for lyricism or expression. You're wasting your time.

Listen to vocal jazz and bossa nova.

Not op. Why does django feel like the sound track to a grainy Italian movie ?

I'm not sure, I don't think of it like that. It's like a pseudo folk tradition from north west of the continent, Belgium/France. The sort of thing that got played in smoky pre-war jazz bars around Paris.

They released more, Herbie was only in it for two, however. Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage are still Herbie's best works, though.

No they aren't.
Mr.Hands and Fat Albert

>Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage are still Herbie's best works as a bandleader, though.
ftfy

I mean, that was implied, yeah.

I'm getting into Jazz, what essential musicians do you recommend? I'm listening to John Coltrane and I'm loving it.

I also like Jazz Fusion a little bit.

They aren’t exactly traditional “jazz” fusion, but have you listened to The Aristocrats? If not check out their self titled. Also chick corea - light as a feather, masterpiece.

Thanks, will check them out.

youtu.be/bCmo30r3OXI
f u c k

this song tells a fucking story...

bait