What are some Radiohead-tier musical evolutions?

What are some Radiohead-tier musical evolutions?

As in an artists that starts out by releasing mediocre derivative music that would be forgotten in a few years to critically acclaimed music that will be remembered with the span of an album or two? Or even artists that have just released mediocre trash who some how make a great album after how ever many albums before.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C7KuvfzrWnI
youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTYgq4EoRo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My Bloody Valentine

modest mouse
the leap in quality from sad sappy sucker to long drive is incredible

Swans

Slint
Dino Jr
Judas Priest
Nofx

>First album was a mixture of decent baroque pop and mediocre kids songs, didn’t know what he was doing
>Second album lead to one of his biggest singles and signature songs, would be the first of many genre shifts and true beginning to a lengthy career

the future sound of london

Underworld. Most people don't even seem to know that they started out in the 80s as a really shitty synthpop/funk band.

Deja Entendu to TDGARIM

also agreed
I love the fuck out of sad sappy sucker, but it's crazy how much the sound just developed in that short a time. And it just kept going.

Deftones
At the Drive-In

Wilco
Fleetwood Mac

Beatles

>Wilco
Except they haven't put out an actually good album since 2007 and their earlier alt-country stuff is pretty good.

Most successful jazz and classical artists. Mostly because there's a larger learning curve/barrier to entry in those cultures.

aphex twin
autechre

The National
Blur

Both had mediocre debuts but improved

Porcupine Tree

Except their debut was an incoherent mess made by Wilson and with lyrics by his friend
It still contains one of their best songs though

Talk Talk
>The Party's Over & It's My Life = Pablo Honey
>The Colour of Spring = The Bends
>Spirit of Eden = OK Computer
>Laughing Stock = Kid A

does Protomartyr count?
They have started derivating and copying post punk bands from the 80s through all the albums. Relatives in Descent adds a personal mark with a better production than their previous releases and the evolution,while not clear,gets more sophisticated.

Smashing Pumpkins

Radiohead

Joy Division

t. Fantano dick rider

Sigur Ros?

Kid Cudi

came here to post this more or less

juicy rowling. she started as just a profile shot and then a nice closeup, and now POW look at her. never knew what she was packing!

thank god they ditched that guy

I disagree completely but I think it's just personal preference. Imo as they went, their music felt more and more forced and not natural. But I'm a lofi cuck.

>2009
youtube.com/watch?v=C7KuvfzrWnI

>2015
youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTYgq4EoRo

maybe, although their second and third albums are really strong, they dipped in the middle and then came back really experimental? I don't really see it desu

Von = PH (crap)
Agaetis = Ok Computer
( ) = also Ok Computer, sound didn't change that much
Takk... = ??
Med Elystiyomm hjarqofliahjanasonmsom = HTTT / In Rainbows?
Valtari and Kveikur = King of Limbs or Amnesiac?

Why do people keep posting this lady? Just post the album art. We don't need to see her ugly face.

Agreed

this IS the album art

This is a good example of the inverse of OP. Waters' songwriting is so bland compared with Barrett's. I draw the line after Saucerful of Secrets, but even Saucerful is weak compared to Piper. Everything from Dark Side onward is just awful.

Want to know how I know that you're a massive pretentious faggot?

100% this. I consider radiohead a modern beatles

Kanye West

radiohead have always been mediocre and will be completely forgotten within 20 years

That's what people been saying 20 years ago and Radiohead is stronger than ever.

moody blues went from mediocre white rnb to days of future passed, arguably the first prog rock album

This one's my favorite

I would say RHCP, but their pre-BSSM days have quite a lot of good hidden gems.

>What are some Radiohead-tier musical evolutions?
plagiarism

Incubus, up until ACLOTM after that they made and still continue to make generic soft/pop rock

i guess you could say the beatles

fuck off. gish is incredible.

Playaz Circle was trash. Third Side of Tape shows he was making good music before it but it was a pretty big jump in quality from that to this

but they went back to making mediocre garbage machina 1, machina 2, zeitgeist, oceania they are all mediocre

I would say J Dilla. His earlier beats we're fine but they were definitly missing a catchiness to them. With Donuts though it's just amazing how many beats that are just perfect are on there. I know that some of the beats on the album were released previously in some form or another but still, I think my point stands.

same

>doesn't understand the intricacies of melody and timbre
>doesn't realize Barrett's lyrics were more poetic than Rogers'
>Barrett had a great ear for melody in music and words

go to bed, dad

This but all of talk talks discog is top tier

Paramore so far