Could I get some albums like pic related? I really enjoy the progressive rock elements of it...

Could I get some albums like pic related? I really enjoy the progressive rock elements of it, but I find typical prog rock is pretty boring (pink floyd, yes, genesis). I don't mind the jazz/funk influences in one size fits all and I appreciate the range of instruments used.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/80LV1-ySbKY
youtube.com/watch?v=Z99w41FVpqY&t=398s
youtube.com/watch?v=Bx0dCN8EuZY
youtube.com/watch?v=5S8lKZ0MMUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Q5hAa8sHhIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oU_eEpGMwmA
youtube.com/watch?v=DHVNIqbncrM
youtube.com/watch?v=5ofh_S52Uks
youtube.com/watch?v=1H4gfJaYqZY
youtube.com/watch?v=YpVd_FJouVc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pretty much anything else by zappa tbj

not sure about the answer, but maybe you'll enjoy bands like National Health, Hatfield and the North, Bubu, Moving Gelatine Plates

I've tried my hardest to into other Zappa albums but I haven't found one that's stuck quite like this one.

same

That's the best Zappa album IMO. The closest to it are the others from that era. Apostrophe, Over-Nite Sensation, Roxy & Elsewhere, Bongo Fury, Zoot Allures, Joe's Garage, Sheik Yerbouti and Zappa In New York all have some similar qualities.

>Unorthodox Behaviour and Moroccan Roll by Brand X
and there you have it

give it time and you'll find yourself loving everything he did. the late 70s stuff isn't far removed from one size fits all. you might also like you are what you is

these guys sound like zappa fans to my ears. this is all instrumental though

Gave The Grand Wazoo a solid chance and holy shit. This might be the album that sells me to jazz. Fuck me it was so good. Gonna give a chance. Thanks guys.

This is one of the plebiest zappa records.

stop listening to prog and start listening to jazz fusion

haven't liked hot rats?

seconded

Grand Wazoo is so fuckin awesome, Zappa should have made more big band shit

Stop listening to Fusion and listen to real Jazz.

It was so fucking good. Am finishing up Roxy & elsewhere, which was pretty gr8 but I think I want to spend more time with it in the future to hear the fine details.
Tried it once, didn't like it. I'll give it another shot, tho.
Am getting there. Not gonna force it. Any accessible recommendations?
How? Doesn't have any of his big hits on it, that I know of. What's your definition of "plebiest"? Contribute something of substance?

bump

Based post, but Zappa is still great

Pleb being if you don't like Frank this is the album to listen to. IT doesn't have the offensive humor, it's normie weird and it's just okay. His other albums from the period were much better and memorable. Also I'll go track by track
>Inca Roads: Solid as is
>Can't Afford No Shoes: Filler, and not even good. Like I get it's supposed to be about the depression, but it's trash.
>Sofa No 1: Left over from Flo & Eddie days
>Po-Jama People: As Rebbit as Zappa got. Trash song
>Florentine Pogen: This is solid, memorable tune.
>Evelyn: This shouldn't even exist, like I get maybe he's trying to do CC or try it to Apostrophe but it's trash. 100% filler and adds nothing to the album other than an extra minute.
>San Ber'dino: Great tune, Johnny Guitar Watson steals the show. Sadly the Palladium shows from Halloween 77 have the definitive version.
>Andy: Great tune, as is
>Sofa No. 2: so he has a left over one from years prior. And takes it out of context of the suite, and now put the same song on the album twice, one with vocals the other without... filler.
I'd give it no more than an 8 maybe no less than a 7. IT's far from his best work and I can tell you can't into zappa if this is your favorite.

the only true answer

great choice, but maybe we should suggest Poot Allures

youtu.be/80LV1-ySbKY

youtube.com/watch?v=Z99w41FVpqY&t=398s

Alan Holdsworth was Zappa's favorite guitarist as far as his contemporaries go.

George Dukes entire 70's discography is heavily influenced by Zappa because he played the One Size Fits All lineup.

Gentle Giant was praised by Zappa and that was rare considering he didn't think much of other Prog bands. Their compositions feature a lot of similar elements with Zappas and a lot of tonal experimentation.

youtube.com/watch?v=5S8lKZ0MMUQ

some fusion and other jazz recs

Michael Gibbs' Tanglewood 63 reminds me a lot of Zappa's larger horn section stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=Q5hAa8sHhIQ

Don Ellis at Fillmore
youtube.com/watch?v=oU_eEpGMwmA

Return to Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy
The earlier RTF albums are great fusion also, but this line-up with guitar is closer to Zappa
youtube.com/watch?v=DHVNIqbncrM

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
youtube.com/watch?v=5ofh_S52Uks

Billy Cobham - Spectrum
youtube.com/watch?v=1H4gfJaYqZY

Lenny White presents The Adventrures of Astral Pirates
youtube.com/watch?v=YpVd_FJouVc