youtube.com/watch?v=4QulAWstZtA
youtube.com/watch?v=qcVPd2QA8Zw
youtube.com/watch?v=YfLa_FXJyzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aMsl_V-6Hzo
youtube.com/watch?v=5HMmCP4YEDo
youtube.com/watch?v=C18FzbdXHrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=78HA0jvi_B4
youtube.com/watch?v=rlQ1Si10phQ
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&year=1980s&origin_countries=Japan
youtube.com/watch?v=jL1jih3jKN4
youtube.com/watch?v=Kr9Nfc44NhA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

vaporwavefags discovering that 80s music is actually real and not a made-up meme

youtube recs.

All the contrarians who used "city pop already exists" as an excuse to shit on vaporwave when it was """"popular"""" are now shitting their pants in fear because they'll have to disavow city pop if it ever becomes popular because of youtube, and they won't be able to bring up an older, similar genre as an excuse for their bandwagon-skipping like they did with vaporwave.

ppl who were incredibly late to the party finding it on youtube and freaking out over it.

I'm not a "city pop" fan myself (althouhg I like some artists that fall under that label, like Taeko), but there's plenty of more obscure stuff. 80s japanese music scene is pretty vast.

but city pop is also shit since it's literally by definition japanese soft rock

That's true, but city pop is modeled after western stuff that's very well-known and doesn't have an exotic appeal to it (unlike city pop which is still fairly obscure in the west), so you can't go around saying "No dude I don't listen to that city pop garbage for plebs I listen to the REAL OBSCURE SHIT that inspired it"

No it's not, it's a lot closer to disco.

If you wanna jump on the hipster backlash bandwagon at least come up with a valid excuse OH WAIT there's no valid excuse for dismissing city pop, silly me.

You kind of lost me there, I don't know what you mean.
I'm not on the side of the contrarians that hate vaporwave (although I never cared for it myself, but I don't attack it), I'm just saying there's many more stuff within the 80s japanese music scene besides "city pop".

>it's a lot closer to disco
so just like soft rock, got it

also this

so much cool japanese music in the 80s (post-punk, new wave, minimal synth, heck techno kayo) but alt-normies like treat commercial drivel in the op like a gift from god and call anyone who dares to think otherwise a contrarian

because it has a qt japanese girl on the cover

city pop is not obscure in the least, it's literally just another word for 80s j-pop. contrary to that retarded RYM description basically every single teen idol was doing city pop at the time, cause it was a TREND

I decided to download this album after being one of the fags to find plastic love on youtube and liking it, I don't really find most of it at least to be the same as plastic love, doesn't have the same nostalgic feel. Anyone else get that? I am going to try and get more into jpop and citypop because of it, making me I guess the embodiment of what a lot of people here are hating right now.

I'm saying that a lot of contrarians got into city pop as an excuse to shit on vaporwave, and they picked city pop because it's where a lot of vaporwave source material comes from, while also being obscure enough to preserve their hipster cred.

Since city pop can't really be traced back to one of the other music scenes of 80s Japan, they can't pull the same thing twice. There's no "deeper level" to city pop. They may jump onto other 1980s japanese music but they won't be able to claim that it's "a more authentic version" of city pop.

I shouldn't have to explain you all this

see
Let's see you preserve your hipster cred by jumping onto something that has fuckall to do with city pop.

You can't even tell the diff between disco and soft rock.

Alt-normie.

you were the first to bring up obscurity and hipsterness into this convo bb

talk about insecurity

lyl

Because insecurity and hipsterdom are precisely what motivate you to like or dislike certain genres of music.

If you weren't a massive hipster you'd still listen to vaporwave and city pop instead of shrinking away from them as soon as youtube starts hyping them up, you worm.

Personally I dislike any trash music being held as grand regardless of it's popularity.

>grand
nobody said that about either citypop or vaporwave, it's just fun and comfortable.

funny how hipster wormlings always assume stuff

because it grew popular and then out came the haters and in the middle, the term "meme".

>all this salt over a genre
Kek, that's what exactly what the rym description says, mongloid

That's what I mean. What people call "city pop" is just very mainstream J-pop from the 80s and late 70s.
>I shouldn't have to explain you all this
Well, thank you anyway, I'm not keeping up with this whole thing. I wasn't aware there was like a "vaporwave vs city pop" thing going on, thought people who liked vaporwave were finally discovering the source material of the vaporwave samples.

sweetie
>It often aimed a more adult audience than J-Pop

>thought people who liked vaporwave were finally discovering the source material of the vaporwave samples.
that's certainly the case, but a lot of them did it in a very vainglorious way.

You know like a 16 y-o who goes "hmph! I don't listen to that Metallica/Anthrax shit no more, I listen to real underground stuff like black metal!" like they shouldn't listen to both or someshit.

>it's n-not jpop because i-it's aimed at mature audiences
I know that soy has melted your neurons at this point but try being less retarded.

Not him, but you're agreeing with him. He's quoting the RYM description, not what he personally thinks (which is the opposite, city pop IS Jpop)

Wait people actually believed vaporwave WASN'T made up of 80's samples? What a bunch of idiots.

Also it's a meme because white boys (and some sad white girls) have an obsession with everything Japanese

Dude there's a lot of black weebs.
Although they're more on the animu/vidya side, not really music.

I don't get all the drama surrounding this kinda stuff. It isn't anything particularly groundbreaking. It just sounds nice and has a good groove. Great for hanging out and having a romantic dance with your gf desu

Whoa man sorry for not being old

>Wait people actually believed vaporwave WASN'T made up of 80's samples? What a bunch of idiots.
Nobody believed that, idiot.

It's just that some people thought they were super smart for listening to the songs those samples came from

read the thread

Just enjoy the music, that's what matters in the end. Even if you're angry other people are into it at the moment, who cares? If they weren't really into they'll move on soon enough.

good advice, Ukyoposter

No worries, you'll get there eventually (if you don't die first, that is). But things you missed on, you missed on, there's no time machine.

Yes there is, it's called recordings.

Thanks to the magic of recording technology, one can experience music that was made 35 years ago TODAY!

Amazing huh?

Thank you, Shirowfriend

Give me some good Japanese post-punk if they made better music than pop in the 80s

I like your attitude, but that's not what I meant. I wasn't only talking about recorded music.
Cheers.

>if they made better music than pop in the 80s
What do you mean?
Anyway, for japanese post-punk I recommend checking out the early works of Buck-Tick.

observe
youtube.com/watch?v=KuEc17UjQ9M

There's so much to start
Some:
youtube.com/watch?v=88qhJ5BNG0o
youtube.com/watch?v=uiq7B9sXi3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=4QulAWstZtA
youtube.com/watch?v=qcVPd2QA8Zw
youtube.com/watch?v=YfLa_FXJyzQ

Whether it's better depends on the person. I prefer both desu

G-Schmitt is some good shit

stop

Ukyo is my wife. I get to jiggle her wonderful 7/10 large c-cup breasts and our kids are bouncing off the walls and life goes on. I'm so happy to know that Ukyo is mine.

Nuh uh! Keep dreaming!

I found more good shit around those YT parts
youtube.com/watch?v=aMsl_V-6Hzo

bump

It's good.

bump

lmao you like shitty post-punk and minimal no talent synth. fuck off, you habe no room to talk

Give me some bery gut city-pop albums pls, i`m too lazy to find by myself

I mean Mariya Takeuchi is just fantastic in general.

Are you too lazy to read the thread?
Mariya fucking Takeuchi, Tatsuro Yamashita, Taeko Ohnuki, just go put their names on youtube and listen away.

what the fuck do you think this thread has been about, dumb fuck? literally go through it

Because some guy spammed it here and that's all it takes for you fuckers to go along with it.

Mariya has been popular for a while now. I think it started mid-2017.

>Midori
Noice

Better citypop album coming through.
youtube.com/watch?v=5HMmCP4YEDo

Just find any list of Japanese 80s pop/jazz

>meme
once something blows up in popularity its quality is immediately called into question by contrarians. like for whatever reason people who liked it before it got noticed are pissed about something so it's trash now

for example, 5 years ago I used to come and spam Casiopea albums in Sup Forums sharethreads and now the band is finally catching on. I'm not pissed about anything, I'm glad the band is reaching a new audience and isn't just trapped on that tiny little island anymore. Just enjoy yourself. Same situation with this silly j-pop singer, just enjoy the music.

>of no don't ruin our secret club
why does this always happen with music?

her folk is better
youtube.com/watch?v=C18FzbdXHrQ

No one cares.

Yes but those are cac influenced blacks

meme are autopoetic
they are themselves.

>shitty post-punk and minimal no talent synth
*tips fedora*

You have to be braindead or a poptimist (same thing) to think that citypop is more interesting than pic related.

thanks man these are really cool

youtube.com/watch?v=78HA0jvi_B4
honestly this is better

Listen to jazz fusion, faggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=rlQ1Si10phQ

crap chart

Post a better one, nigger.

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&year=1980s&origin_countries=Japan

So basically the same as the chart I posted plus Elvis Costello and film scores. Also far too bloated. No one wants a thousand album list. Good job faggot

>the same as the chart I posted
It clearly isn't.

All Guernica works are great. Their first LP is amazing too.
Anyway, both that chart, and RYM's userbase are still missing on a lot of stuff.

we love secret clubs

old heads are the worst

ur taste was bad then and its bad now. Stop being pretentious

t.angry kid who missed on stuff and is struggling to catch up

Yes, your current behaviour is very mature.

I've been listening to a lot of good Jpop from the 80s but I was wondering if you guys have any recs for male vocalists and artists? So far I've only listened to girls. Would like to broaden it a bit.

Good list, but I tought you would post stuff like P-Model, Plastics, Ippu-Do, Buck Tick or maybe even After Dinner.

The guys from Buck Tick and Boowy have pretty good voices.

a lot of those are New Waveish

>le photogenic asian theme

uchouten is also a good post-punk/new wave band
youtube.com/watch?v=jL1jih3jKN4

Love the drumming on this one

listen to everything by Tatsuro Yamashita (king of city pop) and Toshiki Kadomatsu (prince of city pop), then go on to listen to other albums they cooperated with

Toshiki Kadomatsu still the best
For 80s Jpop in a more general sense i like Yuiko Tsubokura.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kr9Nfc44NhA
Where can I find more music like this album?

decent list, has a fair amount of essentials in it, good starting point

Both are different sides of the same coin.

>starting point
>81 albums
huh?