Could Neil Peart do what Whiplash guy did at the end of the movie?

Could Neil Peart do what Whiplash guy did at the end of the movie?

Wreck his car?

Jaki could

No, but Zach Hill could.

Pretty sure Neil Peart's dad is dead user.

i doubt it

kek

daily reminder that most Sup Forumstants know like 5 drummers and just spew them everytime there's a thread

most rock drummers are pretty irrelevant

correct

based jaki. any other jazz drummers that played in rock bands? i know densmore was

to be fair, are there really that many distinguishable drummers among the Sup Forumscore albums?

No. But there's also like millions of drummers beyond Sup Forumscore

Am I alone in finding this movie pretty dumb? The performances were great, the rehearsal sequences tense as fuck, but it runs out of colorful things for Fletcher to yell pretty early, the plot beats in the last two thirds are ridiculous, and the finale almost ruins the whole thing. No one with a functioning sense of taste finds a four and a half minute drum solo entertaining or interesting.

Michael Giles, to both of your questions

The final scene could have been cool if the solo was considered self indulgent and ridiculous in the logic of the film. But instead it's acting like Miles Teller is some kind of brilliant genius for not realizing when such a solo would actually be appropriate. It seemed like a music movie written by a jock

trying to get Sup Forums to listen to anything outside of Sup Forumscore is a fool's errand

I quietly shill the fuck out of my favorite lesser known albums whenever its appropriate, and I notice when people start to post about them more often.

Yes, and so could any other top-tier drummer. Any of the top local jazz drummers anywhere would be able to do it easily. I've gigged with drummers who could do that easily when they were still in high school

i figured. i beat a good chunk of the pioneering prog drummers have experience with jazz

i should start doing this more often. be the change you want to see on Sup Forums

but if Sup Forums starts talking about my favorite albums then i will no longer like them

Yeah
>This performance will determine your entire future!
>But fuck the entire rest of the orchestra, I'm going to play blast beats for 5 minutes because le mean instructor hurt my feelings
JK Simmons did nothing wrong

The funny thing is that he worshiped Buddy Rich the whole movie and then at the end he proved he'd successfully become as much of a showboating tasteless white big band hack, just with way shitter chops

Bruford did the reverse. Billy Ficca wasn't prog but he was trained in jazz drumming. Steve Lamos was trained in jazz drumming, and while he's not a super technical drummer, Ringo's very measured, does stuff to fit the song, and knows how to make the drums feel like his and no one else's.

drummer with rage the movie

HUUUUR DRUM HARDER YU KUNT
UUUUH

NO NO LIKE THIS DRUM BETTER!!!!

Zach Hill is good, but not amazing. Plays with a fuckton of passion, and that's great, but there's zero versatility on what he does. Dynamics?Works well for his music, but haven't seen it for nothing else.

Play drums really fast? I don't see why not, as long as we're talking about prime Peart, or at least Peart from a few years ago before his arthritis made him unable to play anymore.

clarence penn is the best drummer alive right now prove me wrong

the movie seems cool in its own context but in reality the instructor comes off as a hack

It was alright for a single viewing, but the main problem I had with it was that it didn't go anywhere. The main guy didn't really accomplish anything except being able to play drums really fast. He practices relentlessly and breaks off a relationship with a girl, and for what? To play a drum solo in front of an audience at the end that we don't even see the result of?

>It seemed like a music movie written by a jock
Basically this. Its a sports movie disguised as a music movie.

Literally no one in this day and age is impressed by hyper-fast drum solos anymore. The idea that playing sooper dooper hella fast is the peak of artistic merit in this guy's eyes is what completely kills this movie for me.

He studied jazz drumming so I don't see why not

seriously. anyone can play a piece fast. its more important to be be able to play the thing in the right time. hell I struggled playing slow more because I would have a habit of wanting to pick up the pace too much

Basically, yeah. I also have a personal bias against this movie because I saw it right before I started going to college, specifically to study drumming. I only started studying jazz drums specifically this year, and when I entered I expected it to be this pretentious and cutthroat scene that I've seen in a lot of media, and it was just a bunch of chill guys who liked the sound and wanted to play fun music that swings.

If you go into any kind of jazz environment and try to wow people with 300 BPM buzzrolls, you're going to get called a pretentious asshole and told to shut up.

>it was just a bunch of chill guys who liked the sound and wanted to play fun music that swings
After spending so much time on Sup Forums I almost forgot that people like that existed.

Yeah, its weird. Also, not having to violently defend your musical taste is nice. You can just say you like something and for the most part people are fine with it.

Most could be replaced by some fag with a laptop desu

>t. someone who can't play fast