Facebook/Social Media and Mouse Utopia Experiment

In the Zero Hour threads that have been posted lately, the Mouse Utopia Experiment has been used to explain why our civilization is collapsing. Here is the video:
youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM

In it, it basically says overpopulation causes very odd behaviors to start occurring in individuals which eventually cause society to collapse all together. The more individuals came in contact with other individuals in an overpopulated society, the worse the behaviors became.

This got me thinking, could Facebook and other social media be inducing some form of virtual Mouse Utopia Effect? The fact that people on social media have on average over 150 friends, and can also see that there are friends of their friends, which is causing some sort of primal response signaling living in an overpopulated society. There has been no other time in human history where we could see the existing social structures in such detail.

This primal response that has been virtually triggered than causes strange behaviors in the individuals that perceive they are living in an overpopulated society.

Thoughts?

pic unrelated, but awesome

To me, it seems that since Facebook was launched, society has taken a nose dive

maybe this could explain it

link to a zero hour thread:

It comes up a lot on /sci/, I think it's kinda true. See Japan for the issue of people no longer socially being capable of bonding for childrearing. My only social media is Skype (Can't get all my contacts to move to something better) and 4chins, though. I'm still socially inept, though.

Thats a good example, and Japan was one of the first to adopt integration of technology (Smartphones) with everyday life. They were a little ahead of us in the 90s

I think it makes a lot of sense

In a more technical deconstruction of the social media phenomena, people are substituting real social interaction with true friends (ie in person) for fleeting interactions with a myriad of acquaintances. This can't be good for the primate brain, which is built for more extensive and constant social interactions reinforced with body language, subtle pheromones, human contact, etc. which is probably why facebook et al. are associated with higher rates of depression.

In relation to the mouse experiment and your theory, it makes sense that there would be an instinctual 'there's too many of us' trigger- if people can't escape and migrate elsewhere, or if doing so doesn't make those feelings go away, we are apt to go mad.. in the cities, suicide rates are higher than in rural areas.. it's almost as if we're culling ourselves to prevent an overpopulation.

Thats my thought, it can't be healthy for people to see so many other peoples lives simultaneously.

I know social media made me depressed, and I wasn't sure why. I ended up deleting my accounts because of this.

Though 6 degrees of separation, you can literally see the social construct of the entire human population. Click on a friend, click on their friends, click on the friends of their friends and so on. Never before have people been able to see this. And since we are social animals like you said, it has to have some measurable impact on society.

I think what happens here is that extreme proximity conditions animal and human brains to override important parts of psychology, until the problem is so pervasive and destructive, that the society dies. I believe that at a certain point, you have to eschew certain aspects of self preservation to live so closely and that it does go well. I think it takes a lot of important functions with it, including the willingness to commit violence, since the two are so closely linked. I believe that parts of this are intentional, and good (k strategy reproduction is efficient, but only at absorbing available resource, not efficiently using them, but a person who only cares about your vote won't give a damn), but others are tangential, hard to predict, measure, and quantify, which is why you don't see a lot of research or talk about it.

No one will reply to this though.

maybe Facebook and social media was designed for this exact purpose, to get us to willingly prevent overpopulation by triggered some sort of primal response in us which naturally makes us stop reproducing

>overpopulation

No, the point is a high society in which you don't have to struggle for anything fucks things up because even white people are still just monkeys

Imagine how a nigger society would break down- implying of course they could build one in the first place

It really does seem like the fabric of society is coming undone.. I used to be a server and I would see an increasing trend of people on dates over the past decade or so just paying attention to their phones instead of eachother. It got to the point of happening more often than not over the last year or two. And children more and more often would be soothed by a phone playing some cartoon, or an ipad with a game, etc. The point is, a lot of society does actually revolve around the meal.. and yet over the past few decades we've been putting televisions in restaurants.. I've seen them in Denny's even.

People used to communicate with one another during the primal act of eating, mealtimes are the cornerstone of society, and now they are just another opportunity for us to be 'connected' in the digital sense, but disconnected from reality.

This trend is in part why I felt the zero hour vibe. If you imagine it continuing, it's hard to see how the next generation after the one raised since their toddler years on a smartphone can be anything but a gang of social retards. What happens to our civilization after a few generations of people like that? Can we even go on?

Not overpopulation. It's overcrowding.

holy fucks I never considered that disturbing possibility...

Even though you're baiting for a response, your post was so good I couldn't just not reply out of spite.. I think you are right, look at people on a bus.. no one looks comfortable, everyone averts their eyes. We're a bunch of jungle apes in an alien world of our own creation, and we have to suppress a lot of what makes us who we are to keep society going. Violence especially.

Very true, I've seen the same thing. People aren't living in the real world anymore, they want to live in their little virtual Utopian world on in their phones and computers.

Its funny, because I say people as if it doesn't include myself, but here I am, doing the same thing on Sup Forums. Sup Forums would be considered a social media, a bastard step child version atleast

Why is it so addictive? I have noticed changes in my behaviors since I started visiting Sup Forums, I think being in contact with so many people causes something in us to alter us from how we would normally be.

Well, 99% of regular instagram users fall into the Beautiful Ones category.

>I think it's kinda true. See Japan

And then you have Africa, which is crowded and has a staggering population increase that is redrawing all the charts that said we wouldn't increase global population.

They have social networks and talk on their phone all day, it's also crowded.

Nigeria alone takes a nice steaming shit on this theory of yours.

The new all powerful state doesn't help either.

Even as recently as the 80's, in countries like Australia or the U.S., a person really could move quite a great distance away and be a relatively fresh/unknown quantity. They could move to an actually diverse range of communities that remained cut off from other communities in most ways.

Didn't like gay San Fran? Move to mormon Utah.

With technology and every increasing government reach (and I don't mean that in a purely MUH MILITIA NSA TIN FOIL way - although you could see it that way if you want) people honestly do feel "crowded" and "trapped".

>as if it doesn't include myself, but here I am, doing the same thing on Sup Forums.

I feel you.. here I am as well

>Babies with smart phones and ipads

I see it everywhere. Constantly. Just some kid in a stroller glued to an ipad playing cartoons or some sort of touchscreen game.

Perhaps it takes a few years and a few children growing up in these conditions to really kick in.. Africa has been a slow adapter to technology overall

Sup Forums 90% users would be the overly aggressive behaviors I would think

depends on which board I would think, different populations inhabit different boards on Sup Forums..... not unlike the mouse experiment really

How?

Nigeria is brutal and chaotic in many parts.

There are also two other factors - The Mouse Utopia is literally a "Utopia" in which basic needs like housing, food, healthcare etc are largely covered.

There is also the most obvious fact: Africans are moving. They migrate in much larger numbers than Europeans.

The best reflect of the Mouse Utopia IS Africa - In that developed nations see their birthrates steadily decline, while developing nations see their numbers balloon.

Africa isn't even close to developing these conditions. Anywhere.

They haven't reached first world standards. Why do you think so many migrate?

In the experiment, it is a Utopia, food&water is always provided, diseases are all removed from the population. The West has pretty much created these conditions for itself though technology, science, and automation.

Africa does not apply because they still live in terrible conditions, they still struggle with the environment for survival whereas the west has pretty much mastered it.

I think there could be something in your theory.
It does not help that facebook posts are not necessarily "truth". People tend to crow about the good things in their life and accentuate them, perhaps even exaggerate a few facts, in their facebook postings.
"Here I am at the Waldorf" (but I'm only passing not staying)
"Here I am at Jimmy Choo" (but I'm only window shopping)
"Do you like this gold rolex on me?" (but I'm only trying it on for fun).
This gives everyone a false sense of your life. Teens pose with their parents Mercedes, "just going out for a drive". This impacts not only their "real" friends but also their facebook freinds, and beyond that (especially via instagram etc) it impacts their peers worldwide.

There are literally people in Somalia now who think western teens all drive Mercedes AMG, wear a different Rolex for every day of the week, and have a life moving from hotels to spas to fashion shows to cocktail parties (drinking Cristal). This has an effect, worldwide.

I see what you're saying, but no it's not the same unless under the right circumstances. It would have to basically be the replacement to living. Which it isn't, yet.

Social media is still just a seperate bracket of our society, a sub culture even. Therefore it is a symptom, much like the beautiful ones behaving oddly - so too does social media create and outlet. That is all it really is.

Don't get me wrong though, the mice experiment is a mirror to humans as we speak. The difference is humans spend their time doing a myriad of activites that mice simply cannot do. The decline of society is due in part of the symptoms of a well nourished society. It feeds and snowballs itself into chaotic discord. You can view this is book societies, sports soceties, even videogaming. One bracket is great for a time and then something even better pops up. Except now the things replacing social behavior are creating a self perpetual self microcosm of social dynamics. That sounds like amphigory but what I am trying to say is we are dumbed down to a point of losing our very human identity as a species.

The experiment for us is probably going to have many factors (as it should). I don't know how far it will take but I can promise you humans will unleash themselves into mindless violence. The current social conditioning has an unnatural effect that will not match up with something so slight as an economic bubble burst. A depression could spiral out of control and the world could very well end as we know it.

Though fear not my fellow gents, for every great fall their is a monument in its place. If we survive what is to come their will be a bounty of human advancement in all aspects of living. Although this is something unseen in biology, I think of it as an ascending descent.

Exactly

They need to do studies on this. Find populations in the world that have no access to the internet and social media. Then introduce it to them and see if the same thing occurs in their society....

Or id be nice to have an internet blackout for a year or two just to see if people go back to living by the old norms of soceity

I think that at a certain level of saturation, certain behaviors just naturally switch off, because of an instinctual understanding that violating tribal law doesn't mean exile, to us it now means death. Because of this, self preservation can actually be a liability. I think this is how suicide is triggered, when a person feels the urge to exile oneself (which I think is an attempt to mulligan, and reach ones in-group again), bit unable to, they take the only exit they can comprehend, because the need to satiate that original urge to kill must be met some way. Some catharsis must be made.

actually, now that I think about it, I'm conflating too much on the relationship between the need to mulligan ones belonged society in some way, and the successive list of violent response, probably starting in complete genocide, and moving slowly to self imposed solitary exile, failure to realize violence, and overpopulation psychology. Obviously some behaviors are switched on and off, but I can't seem to comprehend all of it myself.

Are herbivore males and MGTOW the male mice that detached from society? The males who were rejected or couldn't fit in? What would the violent behavior be?

To alot of people, social media is a replacement to living

I am thinking that the response to being in an overpopulated society is automatic and cannot be controlled because the individual is deceived by his own mind.

Thought patterns emerge that would normally not be there in some primal response to overpopulation.

What if it is something built into all animals to make sure homeostasis is met? But there is no way of knowing you are being affected because your inside the system itself. The only tool we have to fight it is our logic, but as time goes on there will be less and less logical people until there are none left at all as these primal responses are induced in more and more people has they become connected (overconnected I should say) by social media.

I think facebook is fucked up because it causes people to care about events they otherwise would not give a shit about. Everyone is an internet politician.

Suddenly everyone has developed a global consciousness

gradually we will decline as a species just like these mice did... all because of overconnection of social media that induced a virtual overpopulation response.

Thats probably how the mice feel in the experiment too, only its mouse events and mouse politics causing this feeling in them

The mice be like:

Mouse 1: Oh shit, that fucking mouse just shit on my food, I'm gonna go bite it now

Mouse 2: Oh shit, those mice are fighting, it causes me stress, im just going to isolate now

Mouse 3: Oh shit, all those mice are isolating and don't want to fight, I'm pissed and gonna go shit on some other mouse's food

etc....

We are social animals, but we still seek privacy and separation from other animals/stresses.

Political discourse was less stressful and more moderate before the internet existed, where a fight/social conflict were only a click away. Now social media creates a metaphysical prison, where we as living creatures are forced into perpetual social interaction. One individual can have a heated debate with one person, then find another, and another and even a whole group join into the argument and create an "atmosphere of attack". This fatigue generates the same social/psychological conditions of overpopulation with out the conditions of physical proximity. For example cyber-bullying leads suicides in children.

Also social media spreads various propaganda and psychological conditioning at earlier and earlier ages damaging successful, healthy development.

Kind of tangential but universal human/world truth, people don't understand and out right refuse to accept is the distinct animal/biological nature of ourselves that free will does not biologically exist. What we believe are our decisions are predominantly decided by our biology, and rarely if ever can we as humans exhibit real free will, it only exists when we exert self control, restraint, and temperance over animal impulses, hunger, sex, predation, antagonism, fear, ego. All of those things are emotions-instinctual functions, driven by the body that overwhelmingly control who and what we are. This does not mean we lack free will therefore our lives are presdestined but once we understand how limited our reality truly is we can make the decisions that best fit our's and other's lives.

tldw

This is a nice thread.
Bump

The rat experiment's goal was to study and inflict population decline on us in my opinion. Indigenous populations go to work in cities at high paying jobs, Cultural Marxism destroys us through liberation, poor 3rd worlder immigrants are brought in to work menial labor jobs "liberated" 1st class people refuse to do. Eventually first class people die off as a result of social liberation, migrant classes acclimate into society and 2nd & 3rd generation become next first class until social liberation destroys them. Cycle repeats endlessly, while government pushes drugs, wars and poverty on adjacent countries to create perpetual influx of migrant class of people. The result of these dying off family lines is very little property is owned, the people have no heirs, it is confiscated by the state or bought by private individuals or banks, the labor class lose all ability to own property, and a perpetual rental system is born. Government policies are universally design for the benefit of migrants and always at the expense of the "indigenous" or first class citizens.

I think I understand where you're coming from now. It is true overpopulation of humans will result in a more connected nature of social media. By virtually being connectd we are actually further apart, even to ourselves. It's like waiting for an echo instead of just making one yourself. Interesting.

Yes.

Yes. Antifa and neonazism.

>at the expense of the "indigenous" or first class citizens

And those who remain in migrant origin countries.