/lang/ - Language Learning

MAKE A CHART EDITION
Previous thread:
>77361854

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
russianforfree.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

More resources

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Whoops, fixed the "previous thread:
So /lang/, how's it goign? Progress going well? Any neat new things you've learned? And a question from myself.
>What makes for a good language learning textbook

saving bread

Are you the Mari guy? Are all your resources/materials online or do you have physical stuff too?

Dunno why everyone says Spanish is easer than French, it was the opposite for me

Did you try learning both of them?

yeah I find French easier beyond A1 level

Sure there is a somewhat objective difficulty ranking to language measured by their proximity to ones native language but in the case of Spanish and French it might come down to motivation.

Hell, if one is extremely motivated to study the Ryukyu language then he might progress faster than someone studying an extremely clos language under duress.

maybe because you're british?

May I ask why? As far as I know both have almost the same grammar rules, and French has a more inconsistent pronunciation than Spanish.

All online

The only physical ressource I might get later on in the more distant future if I'm advanced enough is an etymological dictionary written by a Hungarian guy (but published in German for whatever reason), but it costs 80 fucking euros (not including shipping and handling). There's also the Routledge Uralic textbook, which is supposed to be the Bible of Uralic language studies, but a new copy costs nearly 350 dollars (not including shipping and handling), and even the cheapest used copy I can find online is still 75 dollars.

Anyone got a tip for distinguishing and learning german vocab? As in many verbs with different prefixes but very, very, VERY similar meanings? tankshoe

Alright bros, settle this for me once and for all.

Norwegian: learn Bokmal for reading and use that as a gateway to learning a dialect? Is that how it works? Nynorsk is the minor one that is unnecessary?

Was meinst du damit? Einschlafen vs. schlafen und sowas? Man muss es einfach lernen.

>learn Bokmal
Yes
>Is that how it works?
Yes
>Nynorsk is the minor one that is unnecessary?
Yes

Has anyone successfully used lingvist? It seems like a sensible approach compared to meme sites like duolingo and memrise.

According to their data you can learn the 2000 most common words in 17 hours, and according to studies knowing the 2000 most common words of a language will allow you to read 80% of almost any text.

Thanks user. While you're here, do you have some recommendations for children's books?

I don't, sorry

Idk anything about lingvist but are they trying to say theirs is the middle method or something in that infographic?

Also where do I start with Russian? Very first steps

2000 words in only 17 hours is some impressive (maybe way too much) result.

2000 words takes a year

Start with the alphabet, of course. And learn grammar if you don't know it, not russian grammar but grammar in general.

For me it was way easier to understand listening and figuring out words by listening due to similar phonetics with Greek (5 vowels). It also helped that I was way more motivated with it. But French vocabulary seems more similar to English.

russianforfree.com/
This helped me a lot, it begins teaching you how to read, then the very basics (basic vocabulary, pronouns, conjugation, etc) and after that the cases, so when you finish it you have a strong grasp of the basics.

Best way to learn Italian?

Why is calling someone a "rolling cat house" an insult in Polish?

>According to their data you can learn the 2000 most common words in 17 hours,
I like Lingvist, but the time thing is bullshit. I'll fuck with Lingvist for an hour and it will say I used it for 20 minutes or something like that. It must only count the time as when you are actually typing, which is fine but I think when people think of "learn in 17 hours" they think of actual blocked time that you used it.

My total clock on there is 7 hours and change so far and I'm up to 600 words, so I doubt I'll reach 2000 by 17 hours.

That said, I feel like Lingvist has been a great tool for me and plan on going all the way to the end with it. Then I'll do Clozemaster.

*Disclaimer: I'm mildly retarded so your results will likely be better, I just doubt as good as they say.

>he can't learn 5.5 words a day
It's not that bad, do 10 a day and some grammar minimum daily

hola hispanohablantes,
se usa 'el pez' o 'el pescado' donde vives?
o puedo usar ambos cuando quiero?

pez = alive fish in the water
pescado = dead fish out of the water

Welp, tomorrow I have to learn either conjunctions or adjetives in russian. It's kind of frustrating to learn all the declinations and the animate vs inanimate shit. I mean, I'm not a beginner when it comes to cases, as I am somewhere between B1 and B2 in german, but I find it difficult to "feel" the gender of russian words. Only feminine words feel feminine, and as soon as I decline them, they feel like anything but feminine.

One is living one is food. Usually they teach you pescado first in the food sections in Spanish class, I really wish they'd say that this isn't the same as the animal.

gracias

These are most well known writers afaik:
>Anne-Cath Vestly
>Thorbjörn Egner
>Asbjörnsen og Moe

Question for those learning Japanese and/or a Chinese language: how common is the use of cursive in the language you're learning, and how difficult is it to learn? How difficult is it to understand?

Is Finnish worth it or just a meme? It sounds like a fun language.

>or just a meme
there's not such thing as a language being "just a mean"

heck, some people learn Sumerian. It all depends on how much interest and/or autism you have, and of course discipline.

>just a mean
meant to say "meme", obviously

does this sentence have any mistakes?
'le ha quedado dos dias aqui y todavia no ha visitado el museo'

So, should I learn that meme of a language then?

It's 'se', not 'le'. Also, mind the diacritics: 'días', 'aquí', 'todavía'.

>So, should I learn that meme of a language then?
if your heart tells you to do so, then yes

what are you trying to say? the first part is incorrect
"He has two days left here" = Le quedan dos días aquí
"He stayed two days here" = Se quedó dos días aqui
the rest is correct

the subject is usted, it's a polite singular you
the sentence is : You have been staying here for two days and you still haven't visited the museum

>polite 2nd person
oh
Lleva usted alojado aquí dos dias y todavía no ha visitado el museo.
you can get rid of the "usted" but i think it looks good there, otherwise it looks like 3rd person.
Alojado can also be removed. In this case it would be "staying", normally referencing to being in an hotel or similar.

thanks
eres español? vacaciones o vives alli?

es decir, alli en Irlanda

me mude aquí hace un mes
Voy de vuelta a España en 2018
Hablas español muy bien :)

nah I'm crap but thanks
>me mude pero volveré
erasmus?

Every single fucking time there's a Mari song I like on the Mari radio station (which is sorta rate), the station's website fucks up and fails to display the name of the song or artist.

EVERY FUCKING TIME

>tfw you want to understand movies in your target language but you suck

>language.ws not updated since 2016
>more and more functionality disappearing
>cant even acces the resources anymore (was looking for those Mari books the canadian mentioned)
Goodbye my favorite resources site