>when someone says "rock is in its jazz phase"

>topkek

this would imply that rock has lost its mainstream significance but is still bursting with innovation and creativity outside of the mainstream (like jazz is right now) but its not, its stagnating artistically both in the mainstream and underground.

seriously, name a truly significant rock album from the last ten years. you could name dozens for jazz. but rock? give me a break.

>inb4 Radiohead and Swans

>you could name dozens for jazz
please name at least two dozen "truly significant" jazz albums from the last 10 years

Jazz hasn't been creative nor innovative for like 40 years

I'LL HAVE U KNOW THAT AMSP RANKED TOP IN ITS CLASS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF WESTMINSTER

I love how full of fat guys using words like "significant" or "influential" to describe subjective things they like Sup Forums is

just look at Scaruffi and JTG's top lists for each year

Oh really? So what were the last 10 post-2010 jazz albums you listen to? Or were you just parroting the same bullshit all the kids on here tell each other.

not two dozen but here are some:

>Far From Over
>Bohemia
>3 Compositions (Braxton)

>name a truly significant rock album from the last ten year
There are many, but they are mostly metal

>jazz is still bursting with innovation and creativity outside of the mainstream
Lmao. You fucked up your bait on the first sentence.

Good luck next time.

Jazz fans are the ultimate le wrong generation fedora tippers. This is inarguable.

Huge fan of jazz, but I must agree with you. To title new music "jazz" and have it pertain to it's original context is not culturally impact anymore.

>seriously, name a truly significant rock album from the last ten years.

Sup Forums is probably going to shit on me, but here goes nothing:

>Merriweather Post Pavilion, for bringing psych-rock back to the forefront
>Death Magic by HEALTH, for being able to bridge noise-rock, pop, and trance
>Deathconsciousness by Have a Nice Life, for making post-rock more than crescendocore
>Every Day I Get Closer to the Light from Which I Came by Jesu, for making atmospheric black production with a pop-like accessibility
>Kodama by Alcest, for combining blackgaze instrumentation with traditional rock music structure
>Stage Four by Touché Amoré, for making an emo-punk aesthetic not sound cringy again
>X'ed Out by Tera Melos, for still making math rock that's fun
>Dust and Disquiet by Caspian. Iunno it's just pretty good as far as recent post-rock goes.

Yeah those are my favorite rock records of the last ten years, I'd say it's still kicking?

Okay? I mean this won't prove anything but here it goes
Kamasi Washington - Epic
Flying Lotus - You're dead
Shabaka - WOE
Fire Orchestra - Exit
Fire Orchestra- Enter
Angles - Injuries
Yussef Kamal - Black Focus
King Tears Bat Trip - S/T
Peter E. Quintet - Ghosts
Badbadnotgood - IV
Nils Petter - Baboon Moon
Heliocentric - 13 degrees
This is all very relatively "mainstream" but these were all praised albums but none of them are really innovative

>Kamasi Washington
>BBNG
>fucking FlyLo

this is embarrassing

and the rest is just RYMcore

Yeah,as I said these were the first 10 that came into my mind and they all got some traction though none of them are particularly good (or good at all), so can you suggest some good jazz albums from the past 10 years?

>When someone posts a fedora thread about a conversation they had with their dad

see

Why can't jazz artists make good album covers?

>Fly Lo
>Bad

more like brapston

he's not bad but he's not even jazz

and he's one of the least interesting big-name electronic producers of today

>its stagnating artistically both in the mainstream and underground.
>provides no examples to explain why he thinks this is

If you can name dozens of jazz albums worth listening too then please let me know but as far as rock goes I think the reason you can't name dozens of worthwhile underground rock releases is because you don't know much about underground rock just as I don't know much about underground jazz.

How is Death Magic is related to trance? Also almost all of those are just niche albums, niche doesn't mean 'innovative'. However, I would say Deathconsciousness is of note. I dunno man everything you just said sounds ill informed to me and you're worried about how 'cringy' something is versus quality eludes to your immaturity.

Flylo isn't jazz.

>How is Death Magic is related to trance? Also almost all of those are just niche albums, niche doesn't mean 'innovative'. However, I would say Deathconsciousness is of note. I dunno man everything you just said sounds ill informed to me and you're worried about how 'cringy' something is versus quality eludes to your immaturity.

Death Magic uses a trance saw throughout its entire production. Look up tracks like New Coke and tell me there's not an influence there.

Also, 'cringe' is definitely a factor that keeps people from indulging in emo-inspired punk, even if you want to associate it with immaturity or whatever. It's terribly easy to make emo that comes off as uncontemplative and silly, i.e. 'cringy.'

But no, these aren't really niche releases, lol. I've seen a lot of these acts in concert, and many of them, namely Alcest, Tera Melos, Touche Amore, and HEALTH, all have a pretty significant following as far as I can tell. They just don't get circulated on Sup Forums terribly frequently.